Return of the Jedi's Ending

Tools    

I know I'm not the only one who hates Return of the Jedi's ending. The big celebration with the Ewoks was terribly corny. The ending of a series as epic as Star Wars deserved a truly great ending. It doesn't seem right to end it like that.

I would have loved to have seen a cliffhanger. Not knowing whether or not Luke survived the explosion would have been awesome. To have such a happy ending without having any of the heroes die is just boring.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think it's a lot better then the re-done ending to Jedi.

Suspect's Reviews

I think it's a lot better then the re-done ending to Jedi.
That's true, but then, were any of Lucas' 'revisions' an improvement? I'd say that, not only were they not an improvement, but that some of them were truly awful. The change of music at the end of Jedi, Guido shooting first and changing the effects for the explosion of the Death Star, being the three worst offenders from memory.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes. I enjoyed the celebration. After all the struggles, they can go out winners. I've never had a problem with Ewoks, but that's probably because they have weird senses of humor like I do. The actual original ending was very moving.

As opposed to...

But hey, maybe meat and some others like it better because "the visuals are better".

You ready? You look ready.
I'm more pissed that they changed the ending song.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You ready? You look ready.
"the visuals are better"

Too bad most of those civilizations are conquered/destroyed/eliminated by the Empire and don't exist anymore in the Star Wars universe. But hey, George Lucas has never done a very good job of keeping everything in the Star Wars universe sticking together.

kick back and watch humanity go by
The visuals just snapped into screen and were not related to the cosy little celebration that was going on. It had something to it, destroying something big and celebrating it with a few close friends in a weird place. Maybe a homecoming after that would have worked out better

Welcome to the human race...
Did anyone else think of Clerks when they saw the thread's title?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
That's true, but then, were any of Lucas' 'revisions' an improvement? I'd say that, not only were they not an improvement, but that some of them were truly awful. The change of music at the end of Jedi, Guido shooting first and changing the effects for the explosion of the Death Star, being the three worst offenders from memory.
HAN SHOT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

Wow I had no clue how much it changed - I just now saw the original and I can't belive anyone can defend the original one compared to the new one.

A system of cells interlinked
I actually like RotJ a lot less than the other two films in the original series, but, it is part of the story, and it is fine just the way it is.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Wow I had no clue how much it changed - I just now saw the original and I can't belive anyone can defend the original one compared to the new one.
I guess it comes down to which version you grew up with. I personally love the originals and really don't like what I see as unneccesary changes to them. Plus I love films with handmade effects. I used to really geek out whenever they had those "Making of Star Wars" TV documentaries where they'd show the filmmakers playing with the models and creating the stop motion effects, and all the cool costumes for the aliens.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Too bad most of those civilizations are conquered/destroyed/eliminated by the Empire and don't exist anymore in the Star Wars universe.
The extended universe that is - in the films alone this never happens.

I would have loved to have seen a cliffhanger. Not knowing whether or not Luke survived the explosion would have been awesome. To have such a happy ending without having any of the heroes die is just boring.
I agree with you that it would have been more interesting that way. But, at the time when this film was released, people were accustomed to seeing movies have a happy ending such as the one that was displayed.

Because of the media we have been exposed to today and what we are accustomed to, of course we look back at this films ending and consider it "corny" or "unsatisfying".

(Regards to the last sentence) In the words of Harvey Dent "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

And I just thought about it after writing everything I just said. There was a scene after the death star explosion where Han said "Do you think Luke made it out of there before that station blew" then Leia said "Yes, I can feel it" (don't know it it were exact lines but close" So there was a small lasting cliffhanger of whether Luke survived or not. (I think, been awhile since I sat down and watched them)