INLAND EMPIRE (Lynch, 2006)

→ in
Tools    

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Even though I didn't enjoy this much on the big screen (I found it overlong), I'm going to get the DVD and give it another chance.

Finally have it on DVD. Meal out then night in watching it is on the card me thinks. Then maybe can add some more analysis so i get in the news letter

A system of cells interlinked
Even though I didn't enjoy this much on the big screen (I found it overlong), I'm going to get the DVD and give it another chance.

I felt this way after the first viewing. I felt it had been sort of a chore to get though the film. Now I can't stop watching it...

I can't wait to see it now!

See the trailer here:

Very cool review of the film here.

I hadn't realized the rabbits were played by Watts and Harring, along with Scott Coffey as the male...

And yes, I watched it again last night...

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I knew Watts and Harring played rabbits, but I didn't know Scott Coffey did.

Watts is actually playing a rabbit who is wearing the exact same pink robe that Betty wore when she was going through lines with Rita.

Just pointing that out.

Very cool! Love little tid-bits like that. Have you given the flick another go yet, Bobby? I am really loving it at this point... Last night was viewing number 4 for me...

"David Lynch has been making INLAND EMPIRE his whole career. It towers above all of his work as the definitive David Lynch experience. Like 8 1/2 and Vertigo and Raging Bull it is the perfect combination of filmmaker and style and subject matter. It is a perfect film. It is cinema in its purest form."

E Pulgino
- Camera Eye

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED

I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I just don't think it's nearly on the level of MD. I've watched it twice and think it's good, but not great.

Damn, I think it's clearly his most purely Lynchian work, well, ever, and I find I am just as inspired by IE as I am by MD. I don't think it will surpass MD for me, but it is definitely up there with it. Some scenes in IE are hands down my favorite Lynch moments...

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Well, see, I think one major thing that bugs me about Inland Empire is that there is no one scene that you step back and go "WOW! That's incredible!"

Club Silencio and the Sylvia North Story auditions are two of the greatest scenes I've ever witnessed. Even at the time I viewed them, when I didn't completely understand it, I was sucked into it and was completely and totally in the palm of Lynch's hand. It fascinated me to no end.

I can't think of one scene like that in Inland Empire. A couple that come close to being a "WOW!" scene, but don't quite get there...

* The scene with instructions on how to look through the silk
* The scene where Nikki/Sue stumbles on to her own rehearsal
* The scene where the girls continuously say "Who is she?"
* The scene in which the Lost Girl bumps into the creepy guy on the street and they discuss a murder

Those are the only ones that are close, but they never reach it.

Silencio is quite possibly the greatest thing ever put to film, and the Sylvia North audition is just so magnetic, when we have the much awaited line "This is the girl" and when Kesher and Betty lock eyes and you finally know something is up with Betty and she's not the person we think she is.

Funny, I think the art on each and every one of those is fantastic.

Here, try this film out:

Meanwhile:

Bobby - I love all the scenes you mentioned, and they are just as strong for me as the MD scenes you mentioned. You know how I love the moonlit walk in MD, too. The instructions for folding space in IE is incredible stuff. I am seized by it and it usurps my psyche and pulls me into the abyss. I am also completely blown away by Dern's performance.

shot on a handheld Sony PD150 digital video recorder

what the hell ?
Shooting on handheld digital cameras is becoming fairly commonplace. I'll bet you'd be surprised by some of the films which have been shot this way.

Shooting on handheld digital cameras is becoming fairly commonplace. I'll bet you'd be surprised by some of the films which have been shot this way.

that's pretty crazy , this article says they cost about $3000 though - so this is alot different than what i think when someone says handheld

shot on a handheld Sony PD150 digital video recorder

what the hell ?
Brilliant choice. The experimentation with cinematography is right up Lynch's alley, and this method allowed him to have complete visual control of the film at all times, while achieving . He also edited the entire film himself on Final Cut Pro on a few Macs that were chained... I love the result.

Whatever you do, do not watch this film, Meatcake.

At least you like Scorsese...

i actually did watch it for 10 minutes - but i think i will give it a whole try today

it's not that i hate the whole surreal genre - eternal sunshine was pretty good

and Science of Sleep is one of my favorite movies

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
At the very end, when the Lost Girl bursts into the room to meet Smithy and the boy, in a slight opening between the curtains, we see her reflection in the window. It's Nikki.