A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Seen it. Love it. I have the feeling this weekend will be a bit dire until I can break into the 80s.
I did an all-90s October a few years ago and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me, if you'll pardon the hyperbole.

Victim of The Night
In the dire world of the late 1990s horrorthon wise. Anyone have any favorites from 1994-1996? I'm eyeing the Diabolique remake. Any fond feelings toward Sometimes They Come Back Again or the so-bad-it's-good potential of Leprechaun in Space?
The Addiction (Abel Ferrara!)
Demon Knight
Lord Of Illusions
The Frighteners
Cemetery Man
In The Mouth Of Madness
Castle Freak
Tales From The Hood
(I know you've seen it)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (it's not "good" but it's a thing to see)
Bad Moon

I wouldn't vouch that every one of these is great (I actually haven't seen Bad Moon yet but it just keeps coming up and has a lot of advocates), but I would vouch that they are at least something to see that you can't really be mad about and some of them are inspired enough. Which, for '94-96, I think is a big win.

Victim of The Night
I did an all-90s October a few years ago and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me, if you'll pardon the hyperbole.

In the dire world of the late 1990s horrorthon wise. Anyone have any favorites from 1994-1996? I'm eyeing the Diabolique remake. Any fond feelings toward Sometimes They Come Back Again or the so-bad-it's-good potential of Leprechaun in Space?
Blood and Donuts (you may have already seen this)
The Kingdom (it's a miniseries and not a movie, but I'll mention it anyway)
Screamers
The Prophecy

Slim pickings indeed.

You know, I've just gone through my Letterboxd diary from that month (Oct 2019) and the list of films really wasn't that bad. Candyman/Exorcist III/Reflecting Skin and so on. So perhaps I've overstated how bad it was but I still remember just being bummed all month. I think it's because I wasn't getting the October/Halloween vibes I require. I threw in Hocus Pocus and Sleepy Hollow and stuff like that but things like Hardware are just not gonna give me the spooky feelings that I look for during the season. I also only watched 21 films that month which is far below my average, so it's clear I was grasping for things to watch. I even included CLEARLY NON-HORROR films like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs for goodness' sake.

Victim of The Night
I even included CLEARLY NON-HORROR films like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs for goodness' sake.
Clearly.

A system of cells interlinked
That's part of why I don't do movie nights anymore. All too often, I find myself worried with whether or not the people I'm showing the film to are actually enjoying it or if it's just boring them to death. I greatly prefer to watch films by myself as I feel I'm able to get the most out of them that way. That said, I did stream Vampyr and The Old Dark House to a group of my friends in the past and the responses to both films were a lot more positive than I expected. I wasn't expecting for anyone to enjoy The Old Dark House, in particular (another of my friends wanted me to stream it). Still though, even when I have experiences like those, I still have too much anxiety when watching them.
The method I use is to give the group of friends a few films to choose from, then I run the trailers for the film, if available. For the most part, this works pretty well, even though i am the one populating the list to choose from. Other times, another friend will have a film or two to add, which gets tossed in the mix.

Those are some pretty lean years. Looking at letterboxd (my records for those years will be incomplete).

1996: I've seen...
Scream
The Frighteners
... That might be it.
I'm curious to see:
From Dusk 'till Dawn
Killer Condom
Maybe Thinner, Bad Moon

1995: a lot better
The Addiction
The Day of the Beast
Demon Knight
Premonitions Following an Evil Deed (if 1 minute David Lynch shorts count)

I'm curious to see
Bloody Muscle Bodybuilder in Hell
Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh
Evil Ed

1994:
In the Mouth of Madness
Cemetery Man
New Nightmare? (It's been too long since I've seen it)

Curious to see:
Nadja (really curious to see this. I think David Lynch produced it and has a cameo in it)
The Kingdom (I've seen parts of this a long time ago and it looked interesting)
Creatures from the Abyss

1997 was a heck of a year for horror movies

The method I use is to give the group of friends a few films to choose from, then I run the trailers for the film, if available. For the most part, this works pretty well, even though i am the one populating the list to choose from. Other times, another friend will have a film or two to add, which gets tossed in the mix.
That's a good idea. I'll have to consider doing that.

Elizabeth Harvest. I won’t put a synopsis here because I think it’s worth it to go into this knowing as little as possible. It’s not a bad sci-fi thriller akin to a Black Mirror episode. There’s some pacing issues and minor contrivances to make it all work but overall it’s a nifty little story.
I have been interested in this one, and then I looked it up and the plot synopsis on Amazon basically gave away what I assume is the major twist of the film. I'm still interested, but in the moment I was really let down by the spoiler.

The Addiction (Abel Ferrara!)
[b][i]Demon Knight
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (it's not "good" but it's a thing to see)
These are the ones I haven't seen. The Addiction is almost certainly one I'll be watching.

Blood Moon is pretty solid, by the way. It has a great dog. I can't oversell this dog. He's the best.

Blood and Donuts (you may have already seen this)
The Kingdom (it's a miniseries and not a movie, but I'll mention it anyway)
Screamers
The Prophecy

Slim pickings indeed.
Seen all but Screamers. I spent about three years aggressively promoting Blood and Donuts way back in the horrorcram (I remember MASSIVEminiature watched it with his daughter and liked it).

Creatures from the Abyss
Oh, i vouch for Creatures from the Abyss..
JustWatch doesn't even acknowledge its existence. So that's promising!

I honestly don't really even know why I'm as fond of Creature of the Abyss as I am. It's the sort of thing I normally don't like, a kind of tongue in cheek 90s attempt at a B Movie creature feature...I should hate it, but I've watched it a couple of times, and it always entertains.

Expectations should be quite low going on though. So don't consider my mentioning it as being an official recommendation.

The same would apply to 1992s The Vagrant with Bill Paxton. It's probably a piece of shit, but in that horrible decade, you have to grab onto something

Other worthwhile 90s horror

Tetsuo
Brain-dead
Popcorn
Maniac Cop 2
Fire in the Sky
Ravenous
Cat in the Brain
Demon Wind
Highway to Hell

I've also heard good things about Ferreras Bodysnatchers, even though I can't remember anything bout it myself

Other worthwhile 90s horror

Tetsuo
Brain-dead
Popcorn
Maniac Cop 2
Fire in the Sky
Ravenous
Cat in the Brain
Demon Wind
Highway to Hell

I've also heard good things about Ferreras Bodysnatchers, even though I can't remember anything bout it myself

I finally watched my copy of it. It's reasonably good up until a point. But then after that, it really loses the paranoia, thriller focus that the previous two managed to sustain throughout their running times. I'm not sure the exact reasons he's given as to why he's disappointed in it, but I can see why. However, compared to some of the wasteland of the 90s, it's at least worth watching.

Yeah, I think I registered the title, Creatures from the Abyss, when listening to a cult cinema podcast, bought it, and then for the next few months would come across the title in my collection and go (or my copy of the trailer), "wtf is Creatures from the Abyss?" Would open up the trailer quickly and go, "oh yeah, that's that b-movie that I think was a Japanese production with American?/Western? actors and it sounded weirdly goofy in a good way."
I'll watch it one of these years. I think Ferrara's Bodysnatchers only sat on the shelf for like, 6-8 years.

The Puppetman. Not to be confused with Puppet Master or The Puppet Masters. Puppetman is about a malevolent force that takes control of people’s bodies to make them harm themselves or others. There’s an ember of a good idea at the center of the story but unfortunately it’s so ******* dull and nonsensical that any hope of exploring the cool lore is dashed. An ungodly movie that I wouldn’t recommend to anyone.

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2. Only my second time watching this. This movie is still so ****ing metal. And I forgot Lt. Gorman of the colonial marines was in it.

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2. Only my second time watching this. This movie is still so ****ing metal. And I forgot Lt. Gorman of the colonial marines was in it.
Yes, it is the best.

Victim of The Night
Hell yeah it is.
"The doctor is in."
"Shit."

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Hell yeah it is.
"The doctor is in."
"Shit."

"I'm taking over... this operation."

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140