The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think John Wayne gave many better performances and appeared in many better films than it, so I'm not quite sure why he got an Oscar for this,,,
Really? You haven't worked out the Academy yet?

Voted for neither. I like The Dirty Dozen but I've not seen it in more years than I care to remember. I saw the other one again this year or last (I'm not quite sure) suffice to say I wasn't a fan, though it's not a bad film.

I liked The Dirty Dozen, but it wasn't in contention for my list.

I've not seen the original True Grit

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Seen both. I considered both. I like "True Grit". I just didn't think it should be in my Top 25. "The Dirty Dozen", though, was cut from the list pretty close to the time that I finished it.

The Dirty Dozen is good but was a long way off making my list. Like many people I have seen the Coen's True Grit, which I liked, but not the original.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 23 of 30

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here's a little comparison I made between the two True Grits after I saw the second version.
True Grit (Coen Bros., 2010)
+

I want to compare this exemplary flick to the John Wayne version. I actually give both versions the same rating although I thought that for awhile I might give this one a slightly higher rating. Let me tell you what I think of these two flicks which really aren't all that different if you're actually paying attention. I will admit that I've seen the Wayne version about 10 times so I basically have that one memorized and sometimes it's not described very accurately at that. For example, this flick is rated PG-13 and I don't think it's any more violent or profane than John Wayne's G-rated version. In Wayne's version you actually see Dennis Hopper's fingers fly off the knife. It tells you more about the era and the evolution of the MPAA than anything else.

This version has a terrific performance by Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon is much better than Glen Campbell as Shia's great-great-great grandfather. However, I think that Robert Duvall, Jeff Corey, Dennis Hopper and General Sterling Price are better than Josh Brolin, Barry Pepper and whoever the hell else they had here. Even the guy playing the Strother Martin role was obviously doing an imitation of Strother and it wasn't nearly as good. (Sorry, Holds.) Next, we get to the lead Rooster Cogburn. Bridges is very good. I thought he may have been trying to do Don Corleone, but then Josh Brolin sounded like he was too! But there's no way in hell that anyone who doesn't believe that John Wayne is such a Duck (from Unforgiven) won't think that Wayne is better than Bridges. I mean, Bridges, in my opinion, is better than his year-earlier Academy Award-winning performance, but he still ain't no John Wayne, and the people who think that Wayne did not give a performance as Rooster are in pure denial.

Other changes worth noting include the fact that the the intro to Matty was different, the intro to LeBeouf was different, the ending was completely transposed. What happened to LeBeouf seems to happen to Rooster, what happens to other characters seems to happen to Mattie, and thus perhaps it may seem less sentimental, but I don't really think it is. Steinfeld is excellent but the fact that she isn't there at the end of the film and is played by her older self seems to rob the character and the film of some of its emotional power. Unlike many others, I've always enjoyed Kim Darby in the original. Of course, it's a bookend and the opening bookend is also quite different than the original flick.

Something else I want to say is that Lucien Ballard's cinematography in the original is gorgeous and full of green trees, meadows, blue water and other very colorful locations. The Coens have Roger Deakins as DP but his pallette almost seems to rival what he did in Fargo. All the greens have turned grey, there is very little water and snow pops up in more than one scene. Apparently this is meant to highlight a difference in seasons and the fact that Arkansas and the Indian Nation just aren't that ripe and luscious as they seemed in the original which was admittedly shot further west than the story was set. There are quite a few other scenes which are different in this newer flick but I'll get to those later if anybody even cares. It's a solid movie, but with such a great plot, I'm not sure how it couldn't be. I'll try to come back and add some more later because although about 85% is the same, it's interesting and/or weird the small part which is different. Did Bridges steal Marlon Brando's Kleenex from The Godfather? Was Bridges' right eye covered because he's somehow left-wing while John Wayne's left eye was covered because he was super right-wing? I have no idea, but it's a thought. Irrelevant to two very good movies, but a thought.
The Dirty Dozen is an archetypal war film which spends the first half of its time on the set-up and training of a military group and the second half on their impossible mission behind enemy lines. In this case what binds the dozen together are that they all have either death sentences or long prison sentences but they will be waived if they go on the WWII mission which will likely result in more than a few of the men's deaths. The cast is huge and really good, especially Lee Marvin as the officer who has to whip them into shape, John Cassavetes as a particularly belligerent prisoner, and Telly Savalas who has an appropriate character name pronounced "maggot". The film is old-fashioned, entertaining and satisfying, although it never rises to the level of greatness. If you wonder why it's got such a reputation, well, it's the best movie, by far, at what it's trying to do. That makes two by Aldrich from the list. That's two more than I have!

Didn't vote for either. The Great Escape is a classic guy movie, but it seems a bit long, and by the end I'm losing my patience. I'm not a fan of John Wayne and I'm a huge fan of the Coen brothers, so naturally I prefer the remake, but the original is fine. If I had put a film of the Duke's on my list, it most certainly would have been a different one.

I had True Grit in 10th place. Makes 2 from my list now.

10. True Grit (1969) - 69th
15. Cape Fear (1962) - 84th

Seen both of these movies, and True Grit was my number 16. Here the Duke is on one of my all time favorite scenes. Where he talks to Robert Duval and company and he gives them an option to surrender and face a hanging or shot. Ending with one of my favorite lines, "Fill your hands you sonnovabitch!" I liked the Coen remake, but the Duke version is the film I prefer.

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. ?
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. ?
14. ?
15. ?
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. ?
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

Seen 7/30

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I thought I was gonna have a two-fer on this one. I guess Dirty Dozen fell to the wayside from the original listing.

Both great movies, and I won't go into which version of True Grit I prefer - gotta love for both for their own merit. And besides, Mark F elaborated the valid differences far better than i could have attempted

#5 Lion In Winter
#11 True Grit
#17 Oliver!
#24 The Italian Job

The Dirty Dozen if just a hell of a lot of fun.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
True Grit - #23
The Dirty Dozen - #4

And while I love the original, I actually love the True Grit remake even better.

Me too but I'm worried about the other two now - I figured Bluedeed and I would have Late Autumn high on our lists so thought it would be the highest placed Ozu. I hope I'm surprised and at least one of the others still shows up. If not, I'm starting the campaign for his 50s movies right away ...

I expect An Autumn Afternoon would finish higher than Late Autumn. Not sure about The End of Summer, though.

I love the remake but I'm not sure if I've actually watched the original True Grit from start to finish. Haven't seen Dirty Dozen either

What a lovely thread here. I loved it and will surely stick to this thread and share information.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I had The Dirty Dozen at #16, which makes a whole two films from my list so far.

The 60s was a great era for Boys Own Adventure type stuff and, as such, those films were always on TV in the 70s and 80s, usually in a matinee slot or early evening.

I grew up with ensemble pieces like this.

Two art house films today, a second appearance for one director, a first for another. If anyone can guess them in fifteen minutes I'll be impressed