Firefly reboot (Disney+)

Tools    

Hmmmm.

Disney to reboot Firefly without accused harasser Joss Whedon

Skeptical it'll be the same, and maybe not even worthwhile, but...I guess I'm glad they'll still try it. The world building was strong enough that even less-skilled showrunners might be able to do something with it.

You ready? You look ready.
No Joss Whedon? Awesome! Already improved.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Hmmmm.

Disney to reboot Firefly without accused harasser Joss Whedon

Skeptical it'll be the same, and maybe not even worthwhile, but...I guess I'm glad they'll still try it. The world building was strong enough that even less-skilled showrunners might be able to do something with it.

I am going to tentatively predict "awful." Does the mouse own everything now?

A system of cells interlinked
No Joss Whedon? Awesome! Already improved.
Probably not improved. Joss was a big reason it was so good in the first place, regardless if he was actually a weapons-grade douche canoe in his personal life. That said, I am kind of sick of his bathos style entertainment at this point, so not really over the moon about the idea of a reboot, I guess.

Ehhh... at best, I'm skeptical.

Thanks for the reminder that I really ought to pull the cellophane off the original and actually watch it

You ready? You look ready.
Probably not improved. Joss was a big reason it was so good in the first place, regardless if he was actually a weapons-grade douche canoe in his personal life. That said, I am kind of sick of his bathos style entertainment at this point, so not really over the moon about the idea of a reboot, I guess.
Yeah, I was just being sensational. I have never liked Whedon. Even before all his bad press I felt something was wrong with that guy. Turns out I was right.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Mehhh... skeptical. I loved so many of the casting choices (like, well, all of them) that I just don't see any improvement in that department, even if the writing steps up.

Doesn't mean I won't give it a whirl just to make sure.

What I liked about Whedon's writing in Firefly and Serenity was the strong anti-authoritarianism philosophy, which has been rare from Hollywood.

I don't know anything about what he did or didn't do to offend some in the production. I sense that the guy is a gifted writer, so he'll doubtless get plenty of work.

With Disney at the helm we can expect a completely different feel to the series: more PC/SJ.

I don't think that follows: Disney has plenty of shows and films that don't really touch on political correctness at all. And it's a particularly strange sentiment given that Whedon, the one being replaced, subscribed to all of that stuff (yet it never really found its way into Firefly).

Regardless, we already have plenty of topics that are actually and necessarily about that stuff without hijacking the ones that aren't.

I certainly enjoyed the original series, though I'm not a die-hard fan.

As a sci-fi fan and an action fan, I almost always check out series that tread in that space. The original series had some great character dynamics and some decent world-building and mythology.

I think that with the right cast, you could have a solid show on your hands. The worst case scenario, of course, is that it's a cash grab making cynical, blunt "I remember that!" references to the original series. But what I've seen so far of, for example, Hawkeye is that the writers can strike a decent balance between giving fans what they want and creating a stand-alone narrative.

I loved the original and doubt this will measure up/improve on it. Nothing to do with political correctness per se, but I do think the tone will be more self-serious, and that’s bad news.