The Great Wire (Re?) Watch

Tools    

I'm about to repeat myself, so apologies to anyone who's heard all this, but it makes for a nice little intro:

I've been hearing for years that The Wire is an awesome television show. I was hearing this back when it was still on, but it'd already been going for awhile, I'm not sure I had access to HBO at the time, and I was already starting to conclude that "I'll just find out which shows are great after they end and then never have to wait for new episodes as I watch them all at once" was the best way to watch most television shows. Nothing like binging on TV series' on DVD. I rented the first disc of season 1 (three episodes), liked it, but decided not to dive all the way in.

Anyway, a year or two ago I saw a special on Amazon: all five seasons of The Wire for $99. Basically a blind buy for an entire television series. I went for it. Which is probably silly in retrospect, because it's been on sale for more like $80 recently, and since it turns out I waited awhile to actually start watching them, I could've saved a little money. But I digress.

The DVDs sat on my shelf for awhile, eventually moving with me to a new house. I almost certainly would've started earlier in the year, but major life events put the watching on hold. By the time things were settling down, I had already resolved to catch up on Lost and watch the final season, so we decided to dive into The Wire after that was done.

Finally, with the house, wedding, car, Lost, and Christmas all in the rearview, the wife and I started watching The Wire a couple of days ago. We watched all of season 1 and we're one episode into season 2. I shared some of this information in another thread, at which point others seemed to want to use this as an excuse to start watching, given that they, too, had heard the kind of praise I had. People who had already seen it expressed interest in rewatching it, or at least discussing it with people who were watching it for the first time. And so, here we are. Seems a fresh thread is in order.

A few important things, first. For people who've already seen it, please tread lightly! Many of us are still ignorant of much of what happens later. Cryptic comments and teasing is acceptable, but don't spoil anything! For people like myself, who have started or are just starting: we'll have to use a lot of spoiler tags, ideally specifying what episode we're referring to, so that people can read them only if they've already gotten at least that far. Might be tough, but it's better than ruining the experience for someone.

Got a bit to do today, but I should be able to pop in late this afternoon with scattered thoughts on various parts of the first season. I'll do my best to tag them properly so people who are still on season 1 can avoid hearing anything ahead of time.

Yay. Exciting.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I watched the whole run in such an intense binge that I can't remember anything. If I could, I think I'd remember everything

Maybe I can get my dad to come here. Bought him the first series for his birthday. (I'm secretly hoping to hear my mum go 'Sheeeiiiiiiiiiiit' at some point ) <-- not a spoiler

And as some said on the other thread, you're in for a treat (Series 2 is perhaps a bit of a slowdown in some ways, but still top quality).

I am four episodes into the first season, I hope to finish the season this week.

No kidding, I pretty much just learned how to play chess from The Wire. That probably only makes sense to anyone that has seen the first several episodes of season one recently.

Also, there is a scene where McNulty and his homicide partner are re imagining a possible crime scene and the only word used in their conversation is "****" and somehow I knew exactly what was being expressed

Loved that scene!

I am definitely into the show, and fortunately my wife is too. It's always better when we find a series we like mutually.

Yeah, even one episode into the second season, it kinda feels like this is going to be a bit less intriguing than the first. But that's okay.
Look at it as an exposé of the de-industrialisation of America, especially for what concerns steel industry and shipping industry. People being replaced by machines and industries shrinking due to productions costs being lower elsewhere. Weave capitalism and moral ambiguity into that web too.

I personally think the second season is slightly better than the first. I concede that the first two or three episode might feel a bit chaotic due to reasons probably familiar to you now (I won't explicitly say them for those that haven't yet seen S2). However, it gradually builds and I found the final episodes of S2 to be of the best in the entire series.

I think The Wire is the greatest series HBO has done.

Look at it as an exposé of the de-industrialisation of America, especially for what concerns steel industry and shipping industry. People being replaced by machines and industries shrinking due to productions costs being lower elsewhere. Weave capitalism and moral ambiguity into that web too.

I personally think the second season is slightly better than the first. I concede that the first two or three episode might feel a bit chaotic due to reasons probably familiar to you now (I won't explicitly say them for those that haven't yet seen S2). However, it gradually builds and I found the final episodes of S2 to be of the best in the entire series.

Yeah, I do feel that season 2 is one of the more underrated seasons of The Wire. I prefer that season over seasons 5 and would maybe put it up there with season 3.

Season 4 is the best out of the bunch though. Not going back to work till 10th so I might just run through seasons 1-3 by then. Starting tomorrow.

Brodinski, I am curious - what is your favorite season?
Season 4 is my absolute favourite. I rate all the others significantly lower than the fourth, which really stands out imo. To nuance this, I rate the others lower within The Wire universe, because all of them are still better than 98 % of all seasons of all the other drama series I've ever seen.

I'd rate season 3 the second highest, followed by season 2. Season 1 & 5 are interchangeable to me, depending on my mood.

The best episode imo is from season 3, namely 3.11, Middle Ground.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Season 2 takes its time to get going, which is why I prefer season 1 and 3 over it.

Suspect's Reviews

I mean this in the best way possible - I can't believe this show survived for so long on television. It almost seems like it was written for a DVD release. A lot of early details pop up late in the season, it must of been tough watching week to week.

It's so refreshing to see a show that has such tight knit writing AND top notch acting. I thoroughly enjoyed SE01

Season 2 takes its time to get going, which is why I prefer season 1 and 3 over it.
Well, now I know your # 1 in that top 26 of yours. It's either that or Deadwood, innit?

Well, the wife and I plowed through the first season in about two days, give or take, and we watched the first episode of season 2 before deciding to take a few days off. We'll probably pick it back up this weekend.

First thoughts, spoiler-free for anyone who's seen the first three episodes of season 1:

First off: dense, right? This show throws you right into the deep end, and gives you just enough rope to hang onto. It's a lot easier to figure out who's who if you keep at it, and if you recognize the patterns in the dialogue. For example, in season 2 there's a scene where someone asks about "the Senator," and the other person replies "Barbara?" And the first person, in making a request, referring to the person as something like "Markowitz," thus telling us, without any clunky exposition, exactly who the topic of the conversation is.

In other words, it's really hard to figure out who's who in the first few episodes because they're often referring to people by alternating between their last name and their title (and sometimes their first name), but this is actually helpful in the long run, because you learn the organizational structure at the same time you're learning everyone's names.

So, the good news is that there's a method to the madness. And it'll all make way more sense after episodes 4 and 5. At least, that's about the time I first felt I had a good grip on who everyone was. More good news: you probably don't need to get every reference. The thicket of names and superiors and regulations is part of the point the show is making. If you don't feel lost and kind of amazed that police time is actually spent navigating this kind of nonsense, then the show is failing.

Okay, now, thoughts for the entire first season:

WARNING: "Entire first season of The Wire" spoilers below
  • Daniels
    We never do find out if Daniels is really "dirty," do we? Obviously McNulty's friend at the FBI suggests they found an unusually high amount of money (though nothing firm, because they handed it off and never heard anything in the way of follow-up), and when Daniels keeps pushing the Deputy Ops, he tosses a folder on the desk and implies that he can nail him with it. But we don't know if it's actual wrongdoing, or just something that looks wrong. And Daniels never seems to specify otherwise, he just concedes that whatever's in there would hurt him. He implies later in the season, I believe, that some bad stuff might have happened, but we still don't know to what extent. It might be fairly tame by the standards of everything else we're seeing.

It also makes Daniels' behavior throughout the season very interesting, because he has a confrontation with Herc and Carv about swiping money. Amusingly, they genuinely lost it (and then found it) the first time, though they go ahead and steal some anyway later and (apparently) get away with it. One wonders if this confrontation is just Daniels doing his job, but given how serious he seems about it, I can't help but wonder if there's a bit of "I made that mistake once, and I know it isn't worth it" in his warnings.
  • Omar
    I know everyone else likes Omar, but he was probably my 4th or 5th favorite character. This actually leads me to believe we're going to see a lot more of him in future seasons, since I've heard references here and elsewhere to the idea that Omar is most people's favorite character. So unless I'm totally missing something, I'd say he's got a lot to do down the line. This ties into my next point...
  • Laying Groundwork
    Sweet screaming monkeys are there a lot of loose ends! There've got to be two or three dozen little secrets or motivations that could pop up at any time, and we're only one season into the show. Carv and Herc could get busted for stealing the money. Daniels' past could crop up. Avon Barksdale could get out of jail early and either Barksdale could roll over on someone after all. The Senator could come after some of the people involved, or get busted for something else. Judge Phelan could feel remorse for abandoning McNulty just as things really heated up. Bubbles could reemerge any number of ways. And, of course, Omar could pop up and kill someone with a shotgun at any moment. To anyone who's seen The Sopranos: remember that foreign character that we never saw actually die? Remember how everyone was waiting from the end of that episode to the end of the entire series for him to pop back up again? This show has twenty of those guys.
My broad thoughts for the entire first season: it makes sense. They bust their asses and risk their careers for a chance, and there's just too much headwind, so they score a fairly minor victory and the guys who put their necks on the line (McNulty and Daniels) get demoted. And as cliche as some of McNulty's personal problems with his kids and ex-wife may have felt, they never wallowed in his misery, and it all helps explain why he's so obsessed with his job: it really is all he has.

Great first season. Can't wait for the second one to pick up. Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts about both the first few episodes, or the entire first season, though make sure to tag either one so people know what they can or can't read. I think pretty much everyone involved has seen at least the first few by now, though.

The People's Republic of Clogher
We find out more about Daniels as time goes by but, sadly, not why he walks like Robocop...

I'm probably out on a limb here in that I slightly prefer season 2 over the first one, but I'll not say why until you've finished it.

I'll be making a start on my rewatch tonight. Does anyone else, with an upscaling DVD player, get annoyed by the lines of (what I presume is) interference at the top of the screen? I fixed it by applying a slight zoom to the TV picture and have noticed it occasionally in other things, usually 4:3 ratio TV shows on DVD.

We just finished that one 15 minutes ago! What are you referring to, specifically, though?

Anyway, episode three was brilliant...

WARNING: "Through Episode 3 of Season 2 of The Wire" spoilers below
...lacing the drugs with poison was a friggin' masterstroke from Avon. He gets rid of Tilghman, shaves his own sentence down, and he also gets to simultaneously deal with DeAngelo's drug problem. Either he lies and uses it, and is punished automatically for both lying and using, or he tells the truth and is rewarded. What's that, four birds with one stone? Remind me never to screw with this particular fictional character.

Also, since he's also a fictional character I feel comfortable saying this: Ziggy pretty much deserves to die. That is one dumb, dumb manchild.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'm so excited we're doing this! I bought the whole series a few months ago, but wanted someone to watch it with. A better group of someones couldn't be ordered! I'm on it starting today. This is a rewatch for me, btw, I watched it as seasons went to dvd, and seasons 4 and 5 as they aired. I think the show is the best tv series in the history of, and season 4 is the most powerful compilation of episodes I'd even want to see. I'm psyched about this project!

Before I even dive in, that opener of episode one with McNulty and the conversation about Snot Boogie: I'd heard good things about this show, but that was so good that the first time I watched it, I rolled it back and started over. Absolutely a perfect setup for the show.
McNulty: If he always does that, why do you let him play?
Kid: Got to man, this' America.

LOVE it.