Top Ten Overrated and Best

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
If you want to call me arrogant or insulting and not have anything to say, don't be a little cock sucker and post here. Post why you disagree.
1. I didn't call you anything.
2. I pointed out that your real motive seems to be insulting people's taste, and since you've done a lot of it already, with very little justified opinion of your own, it seemed pretty clear, even before you edited this post to make it so much more snarky.
3. I don't suck little *****, so I guess I'm done interacting with you.

District B13
My summary:

An overrated movie is one in which I may enjoy or not like, but consider given undue credit by the movie community. I would also like to point out that this is my personal opinion on the movies in question, and it does not represent fact. Merely an alternate viewpoint on something that is celebrated.

The original intent of this was to post what type of movies I was in to, what I looked for and didn't look for in movies, and I had hoped to give the community a personal opinion on which to judge my movie qualities by. I hope for impeccable, but I will settle for tasteless, anything to let my point across to people so they can understand a member's choices.

I believe that having an overrated list is more important than having a bad movie list, because bad movies, are almost always, incredibly bad. However, overrated movies contain qualities that people like and people hate, so if I were to post my view of overrated movies, you would understand better what I liked, and didn't like, in a light in which movies are always considered good.

Because, like I said, bad movies, are almost always, 100%, bad.

With no lies, this post was also done to convey my hate for movie critics, not movie critics on here, not movie critics on a certain website, but movie critics in general. I'm tired of hearing something is good or something is bad because of the names involved. Because of the awards won, or because of the popular culture icon that was built.

That being said, I respect people's opinions, and I respect awards, and I respect culturual gobs of influence. But when does that turn into hyperbole? When does it turn into the movie equivalent of a Halo (another opinion, might I add)?

So those are the reasons why I posted my overrated list, and rest assured, I have a favorite list, and I'm bound only to give a headache on 3 of my choices. And that list is coming.

General Summary:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Bad jokes, Bad scenario, Bad Plot, I didn't find any element of this movie interesting or funny.
General Score: 0/10
Overrated Average: 0/10

SpiderMan 2
Cliche story, cliche ending, no action, no acting.
General Score: 2/10

Eyes Wide Shut
Quirky with good nudity and mystery, bad pacing.
General Score: 6/10
Overrated Average: 2/10

Sin City
Violence without action, Noir without suspense, Jessica Alba. Style seeped through the bad parts, setting was good.
General Score: 4/10
Overrated Average: 1/10

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Weird and mysterious, good pacing, sometimes incredibly boring, acting was done in a leisurely manner.
Overrated Average: 4/10

Finding Nemo
Great Animation. Wasted Setting, no moral value, action light.
General Score: 3/10

Batman Begins
Decent acting, good comic book relationship. Waste of actors, tried to be dark setting when it was easy to explain, Bat Family Hypocrisy and self righteousness. Bad action and Music.
Overrated Average: 1/10

From Dusk till Dawn
Completely popular because of name recognition. Horrible acting, horrible hypocrisy in plot, horrible action, moral story seems alot less moral at end.
General Score: 0/10

Kill Bill Volume 1
Style with flairs of East Asian Mysticism/Tradition. Violence without action, simple story, one liners not classic enough to quote.
General Score: 4/10

Kill Bill Volume 2
Kill Bill minus the style, increased boredom, only east asian mysticism saves it.
General Score: 1/10

Keep in mind, the scores are not what I used to list my overrated movies, I used popularity and references mainly.

My good list is coming soon, so save your critiques!

District B13
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
1. I didn't call you anything.
2. I pointed out that your real motive seems to be insulting people's taste, and since you've done a lot of it already, with very little justified opinion of your own, it seemed pretty clear, even before you edited this post to make it so much more snarky.
3. I don't suck little *****, so I guess I'm done interacting with you.
1. I know you didn't, I wasn't talking about you.
2. My real motive was never to insult people's taste, merely give them a hint of my views on things. If it appeared that way I am sorry and I lack the English skills to repudiate.
3. I apologize if I ticked you off, if my posts came through that way, I apologize, i can't do any better than what I did. Please get past my apparent lack of knowledge and consideration and play by rules of commenting on my comments instead of trying to say I'm offending people. Even if I am offending people, please be the better human being and rise above my poor manipulation of English.

As for your insult, I understand that insult is only coming because you felt that I attacked you, and I'm sorry for that, but you shouldn't insult me back.

Good for you and me though, is that I'm in to that kind of stuff. And if you want to exchange phone numbers to tell me what you really think about me and my lil problem I'll be happy to do it.

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Actually, the Batmobile was quite cool. It's your opinion that it wasn't. I thought it made sense in context of the story, as Wayne was producing military vehicles, and that is basically what it was. Why would they produce a ridiculous looiking car with fins and a bubble top?

And I don't see how Jessica Alba refusing to be naked makes her a hypocrite. Yes, Sin City was very violent and overtly sexual and yes, she was playing a stripper, but she never stated morality as the reason she wouldn't, she stated that she didn't want her family to see her nude, and who could argue with that? Some folks are just more open about nudity than others.

You are right, I meant the batmobile mostly as joke becuase most people seem to hate it. But I should acknowledge your opinion.

Actually, I believe there is a no nudity clause in her contract cited on the grounds of morality.

Her family can see other women nude, yet not her, because she is what? Part of the special family?

There is something wrong with being nude in a part that requires nudity. It is different if you select roles without nudity, or act in movies in which nudity is not serviced, but refusing to be nude in a movie with nudity and violence in the extreme, refusing to be nude in a part that requires nudity (look in the graphic novel, she's supposed to be topless) is simply setting double standards.

Sarah jessica Parker refuses to be nude in movies, I have seen her act in movies about sex (Sex and the City) but at least she never took a role with required nudity.

It's ok to not want to do it, but she set double standards. She is the one who is morally wrong.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It seems to me the sole purpose of this inane thread is for you to be "cool" for not liking mainstream movies. Oh, everyone likes Kill Bill, let me say it's overrated, then I can be a rebel.

Are you trying to impress people?
Piss them off?
I could do an overrated list, but what would it accomplish....much like this one.....nothing.

Suspect's Reviews

District B13
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
It seems to me the sole purpose of this inane thread is for you to be "cool" for not liking mainstream movies. Oh, everyone likes Kill Bill, let me say it's overrated, then I can be a rebel.

Are you trying to impress people?
Piss them off?
I could do an overrated list, but what would it accomplish....much like this one.....nothing.
The original intent of this was to post what type of movies I was in to, what I looked for and didn't look for in movies, and I had hoped to give the community a personal opinion on which to judge my movie qualities by. I hope for impeccable, but I will settle for tasteless, anything to let my point across to people so they can understand a member's choices.

I believe that having an overrated list is more important than having a bad movie list, because bad movies, are almost always, incredibly bad. However, overrated movies contain qualities that people like and people hate, so if I were to post my view of overrated movies, you would understand better what I liked, and didn't like, in a light in which movies are always considered good.

You did not read a single thing that was posted here. You just made up a biased opinion about what I was doing. Those two paragraphs summarize it. I'm just trying to communicate to the people what I like and don't like, an introduction for me.

On my good list are such movies as memento and glory, so clearly I'm not being special, merely getting across a point.

Please don't come in here and generalize me, when you do that it is you who is the whiner, whining because you can't think of a thing to say or you are too lazy to read.

And you can quote me on that.

Post something, do something, tell me why instead of disregard what I'm saying, that is what I want, that is what I have recieved, except from you.

District B13
Well, here it is.

10. Chicago

Alot of you may have noticed, but I'm a sucker for style. And this movie certainly has alot of it. I thought the casting and acting and singing was all great, the story, however simplistic, contained hints of mystery. I might get it for putting an oscar award winning musical in my list, but I really liked this movie, it could be my fascination with the 1900 - 1960 period as well.

9. Mall Rats

I have never found, in my entire life, a better written script. The description of the Mall itself is one of the most priceless dialogues I have ever heard. Jay and Silent Bob are at their funniest (even moreso than strikes back) and the sheer stupidity of it all just begs the question, what the hell was this movie about? And thats why I love it.

8. LA Confidential

The Guy Pearce love starts now...........

Never before have I seen a movie like this. Despite the fact that it oozes Noir and has brilliant acting by all the members of the cast (all fully used to their potential, might I add), the movie's strong point lies within it's buildup and it's character development. When the movie starts we don't like any of the main protaganists, they all have their own problems and their ways of dealing with them, as the movie unfolds they begin to band together in pursuit of true justice. And, in true hollywood fashion, one of the best shootous in movie history happens, and the ending, it's only something that can happen in real life.

Although this is my favorite time period 1900 - 1960, it never says that in the film, it's like we are watching a current film, we've already accepted that we are in the 50s, now lets watch. I liked that it didnt' focus on being in the time period itself, instead it focused on the story.

7. Grave of the Fireflies

Maybe not the best anime, but the best movie that was an anime. This movie is so gut wrenching and saddening and apocalyptic that it just blow my mind. This was the first movie I cried in since my childhood when I cried in My Dog Skip and Air Bud, I wouldn't cry for those two movies now, but I will always cry when I see this movie.

History tells us that Japan did some of the most unspeakable things to it's enemies, things that we should never commend. But watching this movie opens up eyes to other side of things, the side of those who were ravaged by the atomic bomb.

A sad movie, with historical revelance and some great animation. I can't see a top ten list without it.

6. Memento

What hasn't been said about this movie? What hasn't been praised? What hasn't been commended?

I try to find words to nit-pick but I can't. I could say a weak ending, but then I realize the reason I hate the ending is because the movie ends.

It engrosses you with the mystery, confusion, and alternate narrative style. It keeps your attention by shocking you, frame by frame, from finish to start this movie had me captivated.

Guy Pearce is also awesome.

5. The Passion of the Christ

It's importance to people not of the faith may be much less than what it is to some people. But denying the brilliant acting performance conducted by Jim Caviezel is to lie to yourself. The story is told without compromising the Bible and the adherence to the language/subtitles as well as the dedication put into this movie rubbed off on everyone who saw it.

4. Toy Story

I was hard on Finding Nemo because I thought it was a wasted setting and there was no real moral value to it prevalent throughout the movie. However, this is toy story.

The benchmark visuals, fantasy setting, and voice acting performances were all superbly done. The setting was one that we can relate too, we've had toys we've grown tired of, and that can be parralled to real life friendships. The voice acting was well done, every voice fit their role with enthusiasm and purpose. We dont' need to discuss the visuals, they speak for themselves.

A good family movie, right on top with grave of the fireflies and passion of the Christ without the blood

3. Attack the Gas Station

Rarely does a movie make me laugh like the way Attack the Gas Station did. Every character, every action, had some sort of suttle or outrageous humor. The plot of the story is so ridiculous that it warrants its own set of laughter by itself "4 buddies decide to rob a gas station they robbed the night before."

Maybe more important than it's comedy, however, is perhaps the cultural view we get of South Korea. The hyper Capitalism installed by Americans is shown in this movie, people fail to realize that South Korea and Japan are very capitalist countries, moreso than America. And their brute "The Art of War" tactics are unmatched by any big wig corporation, save for the ones in America, of course. This movie gives us a look at that culture and what it does to disaffected youth.

But its mostly funny.

2. City of God

Some movies are so hip they just require to be on a top ten list. This movie, although hip, is on this list not because of it's style, but for it's look at drugs, drug dealing, gangs, and the City of God.

I have always envisioned Rio De Janeiro as a beach spot for tourists, I knew it would be a developing country, but I figured it would be like Mexico. When I was given a detour of this world I paced myself and challenged my thinking on the subject. Could this be the real City of God?

Yes, it was, or at least the former City of God. The acting was fantastically portrayed, and the narrative was nicely done switching in between the big political events of the movie and Rocket's personal life.

This movie accomplished what it's title suggested. The City of God. We saw the City of God in it's entirety, spared from nothing, shown the truth.

An excellent movie.

1. Glory

Glory addresses our nation's history with an explosion. The sheer importance of this film makes it what it is, our civil war, not a war against foreigners, not a war against invaders, a war between our people, but more importantly, the war between freedom and slavery. This movie addresses both angles, and because of that, it's importance is sealed.

Noone here can tear this movie apart on any reason. Everyone was brilliantly cast, from the USCTS to the White officers. Matthew Broderick played a high pitched and snobby officer. This wasn't Vietnam where people had to earn a rank, this was the American civil war, your rank depending on your nobility. And thusly, matthew Broderick is the perfect fit.

How about Denzel Washington? Oh yea, it was the movie that launched his oscar career and all star status.

Cary Elwes was fantastic. So was Morgan Freeman.

Again, I can not emphasize the importance of this movie to all Americans. It is a must see, for the subject matter itself. The same way the Pianist is, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Caligula, and all the various historical films who get it done right, by showing what is required for the period at hand.

Well done.

My summary is coming up along with my final thoughts.

*Note: Full Metal Jacket, Jackie Brown, Apocalypse Now, The Pianist, Akira, and the Godather were all hovering around my list, so I consider those movies important as well.

District B13
Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
Wow, you changed my opinion
I'm glad you actually read the post instead of looking at the pictures .

Like I said, the point of this thread was to communicate what I liked, and what I didn't, my taste.

You can disagree with my taste, or approve, the decision is yours. But this wasn't some idea that wasn't thought out or planned.

This is me making my opinion and asking people to try to understand why I chose that opinion.

This is a route you have failed to take, so quit generalizing me and either stop posting or actually contribute to the topic at hand.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This is a route you have failed to take, so quit generalizing me and either stop posting or actually contribute to the topic at hand.
Yes, sir, will do sir.

District B13
Final Summary: I hope those that are interested learned what I like and do not like. If you have any questions about my choices pm me or post here.

Again, I cannot stress enough how hard I took composing these lists. I did not choose these movies to go against the grain, I merely chose these because these weren't my type of movies.

If you agree or disagree with me, all is fine, just know that I didn't do this to make a statement or be different.

10. Chicago - A movie that accomplished what it set out to do, stylish setting and attitude, good acting and singing, sad ending.
9/10

9. Mall Rats - The most pointless dialogue I've ever heard, this is my favorite Kevin Smith movie.
10/10

8. LA Confidential - Nothing but noir and suspense until the final action scene which blew my mind away.
10/10

7. Grave of the Fireflies - The saddest movie I've ever seen, probably the best anime ever made.
10/10

6. Memento - Never done before, great script throughout, acting performances were great.
10/10

5. The Passion of the Christ - Excellent acting and excellent portrayal, not much more can be asked for.
10/10

4. Toy Story - Pixar's greatest film about friendship also had the best visuals I've ever seen.
10/10

3. Attack the Gas Station - The funniest movie I've ever seen, gives insight into south Korean culture.
10/10

2. City of God - Drugs and war in Brazil was never hip, but this movie managed to be.
10/10

1. Glory - The most important war in american history with the most important regiment in the history of the United States. Acting was perfect, action was perfect, story was perfect.
**/**

Well, those are my lists, if you have any questions just pm or post here or don't. It's all good

If I had to pick a topic of movies that I enjoy it would have to be culture/historical event movies.

That does it.

A system of cells interlinked
My summary:

An overrated movie is one in which I may enjoy or not like, but consider given undue credit by the movie community. I would also like to point out that this is my personal opinion on the movies in question, and it does not represent fact.
I'm naturally arrogant, for that I apologize. However, the only two points in which I know I am correct are the Jessica Alba comment and the Batmobile comment.

Those are the only two things that are NOT up for debate as the facts represent themselves.
I would like to comment on some of the subjects you have brought up, but you seem to contradict yourself quite a bit. So which is it? I for one, think the new Batmobile is not only the best batmobile, but quite possibly the coolest film vehicle ever, because it really exists and works. They built those things, and the really work! A REAL batmobile!! How sick is that?

Also, the batmobile in the previous Batfilms (a couple of which I really like, as well) were pretty damn lame. They reminded me of corvettes, another lame car, which I also like to call "The midlife crisis mobile". I hate corvettes, as they are overpriced, rattletrap, meathead pieces of garbage with zero class. I just saw the Batmobile in the Burton films as glorified corvettes, for Bruce Wayne's midlife issues.

The new batmobile is totally a utilitarian, functional vehicle, with millions of functions and gadgets, like what we would expect a mechanically inclined vigilante to have. It is extremely durable, stealthy, and is the swiss-army knife of vehicles...I just know little bruce had a swiss army knife when he was a kid!

"Shields"

...WTF? I hate that part of the first Batman film. Those shields would never work, would be far too heavy, come out of thin air, and were strictly a special effect. This new batmobile seemed so much more real, because it is! In the recent years, Batman (Burton) has lost most of it's luster for me, as a successful experiment in proiduction design, and a failed experiment in character. It's Burton, so of course it looks cool, but the special effects look way dated already, and Batman is pretty much swept aside in the character study department in favor of the villain, making this film really "The Joker" in my book. I like Jack's performance, but it's a bit too good, as he stands around chewing scenes up while not really ever doing much.

Arg...work again...more later...

District B13
The batmobile statement was made to be a joke. Everyone I talked to hated it, I figured you all would get it. So I edited the statement, as I did not want to contradict myself.

It's difficult for me to utilize ingy after I've just writ a 10 page report on breast sizes.

I'll stop there, but if you really want to know you can pm me, it was a psychology paper, for those of you who know, you probably won't ask, but I'll tell you if you pm.

Anyways, I didn't like the fact that batman had to be explained as some people did, ultra realistic. I can apreciate Nolan building up batman's character and persona, but not having to explain every little detail about him.

Also, scarecrow was an awful character, he wasn't developed at all, and one of my favorite villains in comic history (apocalypse and joker are my #1) and one of my favorite actors is Cillian Murphy were essentially wasted.

But, Like I said in my review, I thought the movie was good. Just horrendously overrated for what it was. Much like spiderman 2, it was a movie about how can the human and hero co exist, and begins was a movie about being dark, how dark can we make gotham city? Lets spread fear through gotham city!

At least in Burton's Gotham we already knew it was dark, we already accepted who batman was. The things Burton made us focus on are the relationship between batman and his villains and his life, great character development.

Their were so many missing ends in batman begin's character development I couldn't stand it.

Ra's Al Gul and Talia wasn't there, scarecrow's toxin was, but not his personality. The Bat-Girl was a waste of time..... And it just got me peeved at how righteous his parents were and everyone around him, his dad worked at the hospital and was the good ol' boy doctor, and he accepted death, he was never afraid, he was Jesus, etc. And then it wasn't Chill's fault for Bat's parents, it was the city's, now we must correct the city, etc. etc.

Underground slave cavern was the one that got me the most, trying to build up the Wayne's to be this helping hand neighbor with zero problems.

I guess thats another thing I'm into, I'm into characters with problems. Every film on my good list has characters that have real conflicts whereas on my overrated list I believe that the characters dealing out punishment are shoved no blame and have no conflicts and just exist as self righteous people.

That's just my opinion, Grave of the Fireflies might be the only movie on my list that has self righteous characters, but they aren't trying to kill anyone for revenge.

Oh, and in closing, I don't want to hear that batman didn't kill Ra's Al Gul.

If you have the ability, not only to save yourself, but another, from percieved harm and you do not, you murder that person.

Batman said "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" that statement is hypocritical garbage.

Anyways, yea, I was just joking about the batmobile statement, I didn't realize people actually liked it.

Here to support the villians.......
I can't help but feel that Chicago should be on your overrated list.

So many good movies, so little time.
Of your top 10 I really liked LA Confidential , Grave of the Fireflies (my favorite anime) , Memento , City of God and Glory.

I don't think the story was perfect in Glory. I think it extremely interesting that two of the first recruits to the 54th were Lewis N. Douglass and Charles Douglass, sons of the famous ex-slave and abolitionist, Frederick Douglass, whose biography so many of us have read. And yet, they are not even characters in this movie. I loved Glory but I think it would have been even better if it stayed closer to the truth (the makers of the movie thought it would be more dramatic for the ranks of the 54th to be filled with freed slaves rather than the free men it was actually made up of.)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

District B13
Originally Posted by uconjack
Of your top 10 I really liked LA Confidential , Grave of the Fireflies (my favorite anime) , Memento , City of God and Glory.

I don't think the story was perfect in Glory. I think it extremely interesting that two of the first recruits to the 54th were Lewis N. Douglass and Charles Douglass, sons of the famous ex-slave and abolitionist, Frederick Douglass, whose biography so many of us have read. And yet, they are not even characters in this movie. I loved Glory but I think it would have been even better if it stayed closer to the truth (the makers of the movie thought it would be more dramatic for the ranks of the 54th to be filled with freed slaves rather than the free men it was actually made up of.)
I just remembered that, that is extremely dissapointing. But it really only made a note of the specific group of slaves as the black life in military.

Also, there were several runaway slaves that joined later regiments and fought, this movie may have tried to be about black life as opposed to the specific 54th.

And, I must commend the casting, everyone says that Matthew Broderick wasn't right for the role. Those people are morons, rank was based on wealth and position not strength and manly machismo. For a vietnam movie it would be horrible casting, but for a civil war movie it only shows what the culture and state of the millitary was like at that point.

Also, in Shaw's journals it made note of his black friend in the regiment and his struggles in not showing him special treatment.

Frederick Douglas was present in the movie, they maybe didn't emphasize his sons because they thought that it would be about them and their father. Maybe it's just an excuse I'm entertaining in my mind.

One thing that I loved about this movie was that it showed the differences between cultures.

Many people think it was north vs. south, slavery vs. freedom. But it was more like New England vs. America vs. South vs. Deep south.

By that I mean everything east of New York was fiercely abolitionist and fiercely unionist (New England), whereas the Missippi - South Carolina line which included georgia, alabama, and florida was the truly anti union pro slavery regime.

The states caught in the middle were fighting for/against slavery and for/against unionization, but there was alot less hate, several places such as eastern Tennesee and western Virginia were fiercely unionist whereas the union state of Delaware still held slaves.

The Civil War is really more complex than most people imagine. I thought the movie conveyed this as white regiments and even the president were slow to accept them.

Did you come to that conclusion by reading my post, forming an articulate answer, and then responding?

Or did you look at a list that said Sin City was overrated and call me a know nothing because I disagree with popular thought?
No, I responded in a quick manner because that was all the time I had at the moment. I think you are being a bit defensive when you say I called you a know-nothing, when did I ever use those words? I was just disagreeing in a "quick post" it helps remind me at a later date when I look at subscribed threads. I wish I had the time to discuss every post I make in a more detailed manner, but I do not. I usually do get back around to them when time does permit. So after saying all that I guess I will defend my thoughts on Sin City, and why I do not think it is overated. First of all "Overated" can be interpreted in many ways. But the bottom line is if you think a movie is rated by the mainstream moviegoing audience higher than you think it should be then it is overated, at least in your opinion, so I will stick with that thought. I have to rate Sin City as the viewpoint of a comic and Frank Miller fan. In those aspects there are not many in this peer group that disagree with me in saying the movie was wonderful and original and just plain great adult fun. The movie accomplished what the creators wanted, it got high praise for that as well it should have. Does that mean everyone is going to like it? No, of course not, but if you went in expecting something different that was your fault. Sin City is a great movie and if anything it is underated IMO. As I said before, there is no accounting for taste, that in no way is meant to be an insult, hell I think Taxi Driver is an awful movie, does that make me a know-nothing? I may be an ignorant curr and a redneck, but I know a few things about comics.

District B13
Originally Posted by 7thson
No, I responded in a quick manner because that was all the time I had at the moment. I think you are being a bit defensive when you say I called you a know-nothing, when did I ever use those words? I was just disagreeing in a "quick post" it helps remind me at a later date when I look at subscribed threads. I wish I had the time to discuss every post I make in a more detailed manner, but I do not. I usually do get back around to them when time does permit. So after saying all that I guess I will defend my thoughts on Sin City, and why I do not think it is overated. First of all "Overated" can be interpreted in many ways. But the bottom line is if you think a movie is rated by the mainstream moviegoing audience higher than you think it should be then it is overated, at least in your opinion, so I will stick with that thought. I have to rate Sin City as the viewpoint of a comic and Frank Miller fan. In those aspects there are not many in this peer group that disagree with me in saying the movie was wonderful and original and just plain great adult fun. The movie accomplished what the creators wanted, it got high praise for that as well it should have. Does that mean everyone is going to like it? No, of course not, but if you went in expecting something different that was your fault. Sin City is a great movie and if anything it is underated IMO. As I said before, there is no accounting for taste, that in no way is meant to be an insult, hell I think Taxi Driver is an awful movie, does that make me a know-nothing? I may be an ignorant curr and a redneck, but I know a few things about comics.
Glad to have your thoughts in on sin city.

My biggest gripe was the previews and cast that lead me to believe this was going to be an action, and not noir style that it was. It is not my fault if the company behind it uses false advertising.

How many of you saw Fight Club without reading the book?

Exactly. I do not need to read up the original source material beforehand in order to expect something. I expect the previews and hype to tell me what this movie was about. And all the previews and hype lead me to believe in this giant gang war graphic novel action fest that never happened.

As for being noir...... I found no suspense, no real plot, simple diegisis with nothing but the brutal violence scenes being it's strong point. The overacting was ridiculous, and the cast didn't perform to it's ability.

Like I said, the movie has style and it looks original, but the simple plot, pointless violence, and general disturbing aura about it all just made it not that good.

I consider myself somewhat of a comic book fan, I've actually read Frank Miller's the Dark Knight Returns as well as several x-men books and the batman 700 series..... I found nothing likable about this film.

LA confidential to me, represents a polar opposite, it has a great action scene, plenty of suspense and mystery, complex diegisis, acting performed perfectly by everyone, and yet it has just as much style as Sin City.

Also, overrated means that it wasn't neccessarily bad. Like I said, movies like Eyes Wide Shut and Batman Begins are partially enjoyable experiences, but they have major holes in where I think real movie quality to be, that is my opinion.

Because bad movies will always be bad.

Back to Sin City, it was the most faithful comic book representation ever seen on theaters, and if you liked the comic book, then you would love the movie.

I'm not denying that.

BTW Jessica Alba is a snob.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
To echo Lester Burnham, are you sure Chicago is in the right list? Totally overrated. Dtto for 'The Passion of Christ'...

I agree with 'Eternal Sunshine and the stupidly long title' and 'Finding Nemo' (great animation, lame story) being overrated.

As for Sin City....I loved Sin City. But I think it is overrated by some people. It is a breathtaking film, but it does have its flaws (most films do...) I'm not sure Jessica Alba's refusal to appear nude is a fair criticism of the film, though. Maybe it was a disappointment to you, but it didn't make a huge difference to the film over all. If it bothered the directors, they would have cast someone who was willing to take her top off.

Re: Glory "Glory addresses our nation's history with an explosion. The sheer importance of this film makes it what it is, our civil war, not a war against foreigners, not a war against invaders, a war between our people, but more importantly, the war between freedom and slavery. This movie addresses both angles, and because of that, it's importance is sealed."

Does this film have any relevance for non-Americans? Surely really great films should have some meaning for everyone, not just the one country whose history it is about? What apart from telling Americans about their history, does this film have to reccommend it? (Just curious...I've never heard of this film before)

A system of cells interlinked
Glad to have your thoughts in on sin city.

My biggest gripe was the previews and cast that lead me to believe this was going to be an action, and not noir style that it was. It is not my fault if the company behind it uses false advertising.
Ah, now we are getting to the bottom of this. I would recommend never paying attention to any marketing for any film. I could list COUNTLESS instances of films that were marketed incorrectly, leading to the film getting short shrift at the box office, or, as you have experienced, leaving audiences confused as to just what the film is like.

Take Steven Soderbergh's recent remake of Tarkovsky's Solaris. It was basically marketed as Titanic in space, with smoochy-faced Clooney et. al. on the one-sheets and in the short teasers that made it to TV. As anyone who has seen this (most excellent) sci-fi picture can tell you, Solaris is most certainly NOT titanic in space. I love Solaris, both versions, but if I walked into that theater expecting "Titanic in Space" and was treated to a languid, drifty existential piece, I probably would have been disappointed.

My rule of thumb is, toss all preconceptions out the window, be it my own preconception, or marketing induced. I tend to find more enjoyment in a film, any film, if I know as little as possible about it, aside fromn the fact that it exists, and that I want to see it. Of course, one needs to know a little something about a film to know if they are interested or not, but that could be selling myself short, as well. Now that I am learning more and more about all types of film, I am finding out I only thought I knew what I liked, simply because of the level of exposure to film that I had previously had. A few years ago, I would never have given a second glace to a film like Magnolia or Amelie, and now, they are quite possibly two of of my favorite films right now. I would have taken a short look at the subject matter and the available marketing, said to myself 'well, that movie blows" and moved on to watch whatever i could find that fit my expectations.

I am sooo glad I have shed this foolishness for a more open view, which a assume is still a bit narrow, and I look forward to expanding my horizons even more!