Ju-On: The Grudge

Tools    

And this is my BOOMstick!
Originally Posted by OG-
Nitzer, your age is showing. Name three J-horror films you've seen. 1, 2, 3, Go!

Between this and the anime thread I'm gonna take a stab and say your parents watch the O'Reily Factor alot...
Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

No, I've never watched any of those movie, mainly because I have better things to do than to look for Japanese movies with american translations. Might as well wait for a remake. Which is, as I said before, will always be better. Godzilla is a evry good example. My age is 14. Boo-yah! Not like i'm trying to hide it or anything. Oh and neither me nor my parents have ever heard of the above show. Figures you're the one who's watching it, whatever it might be.

My life isn't written very well.
Yes, but do your parents watch the O'Reilly Factor? Hannity and Combs. Rush Limbaugh? Dr. Laura, FOX news? Just a question...

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Wasn't sarcastic, but it was me being kind of a jerk.

But it is incredibly stupid to say something sucks if you've never even seen it...

Also, American remakes are almost ALWAYS not nearly as good as the origins they come from, but if you have never seen an original then you can't make that statement.

And no, I don't watch the O'Reily Factor.

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Yes, but do your parents watch the O'Reilly Factor? Hannity and Combs. Rush Limbaugh? Dr. Laura, FOX news? Just a question...
Where do you find these shows? Never heard of any of them, except FOX news, which they still don't watch.

Originally Posted by Nitzer
Where do you find these shows? Never heard of any of them, except FOX news, which they still don't watch.
At least that last bit is good to hear...

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Anyone see the Tomie films yet? They're supposed to be good, yet I haven't watched them. Any comments?
hei! yeah, have seen part 1 and 3 (the videostore didn't friggin' have part 2), i'd say, to me the movie didn't make sense, it's too confused, plus the translation is so poor, and forgets to translate everything that'S not said, like letters and stuff... haven't seen part 5 (i think?) which i read is full of hot lesbian sex scenes... so maybe that would be LESS confused?

Hey, Nitzer, i agree with you on most things (Bruce CAmpbell) but i think that statement was very narrow minded, and i think you should always watch an original before a remake. Even if you prefer the remake, you cant deny the originality of the 1st therefore should at least give it a chance. Anyway, what about the Japanese films that wont or havnt been remade? Personally, i tihnk you'd enjoy Versus or Ichi The Killer. Of course, i may have missed your point completely but theres my 2 cents anyway.
Also theres the fact that censorship laws in the East are not as strict as in Hollywood, so plenty of horrors will be remade without the full effects that the originals were released with.

If you enjoy Ichi the Killer in any manner outside of respect for the boundaries of film it pushes, then you shouldn't be allowed in public.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Hey, Nitzer, i agree with you on most things (Bruce CAmpbell) but i think that statement was very narrow minded, and i think you should always watch an original before a remake. Even if you prefer the remake, you cant deny the originality of the 1st therefore should at least give it a chance.
Yeah, I just wanted to argue with OG. I really have no interest in looking for the original, but if I do see it at my video store (unlikely) then I will give it a roll.

Might as well wait for a remake. Which is, as I said before, will always be better. Godzilla is a evry good example.
Better special effects doesnt make films any better, godzilla is a good example of that.
If you dont want to watch the orginals and rather end up watching inferior remakes thats up to you, your the only one whos missing out.

Ichi The Killer has quite poor effects, lets be honest, whether this was Miike's intention so as to contrast the real violence, ie wife beating, i still felt let down by it. It wasnt actually that bad.

Is it just me, or does it look like Sarah Michelle Gellar has a butt on the back of her head in the american trailer?

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by jrs
If you watch slowly (which I just did like 5 times) it is from what I can tell a hand.

I could have told you that the second time I saw it...at first I thought it was a distorted eye...but I did not see an eyeball, so I watched it again and realized what it is...I don't think you have to watch it slowly.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

history *is* moralizing
you liked the Grudge?
you found the Grudge scary? interesting? original?
well, watch St. John's Wort!

or go now to:

http://www.mandiapple.com/snowblood/stjohnswort.htm

( NOpe , they don't pay me for advertizing them!!)

A system of cells interlinked
I really don't think a bunch of Japanese gilrs running around screaming "Chan-tai!, Chan-tai!" can be very scary. American remakes are always better.
HA... So you haven't even seen the film and it can't be as good as The American remake. In reality, many films use chanting children to instill suspense and horror. Hitch did it in The Birds (bippity, boppity, now now now), as one example. It is some sort of primal, tribal concept about how chldren chanting play into our childhood fears and subconcious.

Or you could just assume it's going to suck.

I love the psychological aspects of these.....the most unscary things make you scary.