Best Movies About Religion?

Tools    

The Seventh Seal was a masterpiece.

Jan Hus (1954) was also really good. He was one of the most influential German theologions who inspired Martin Luther.

King of Kings (1927) - Got a chance to see this silent movie by Cecil B. DeMille. Not sure what I was expecting, but something inferior due to its age and the fact that it was made pre-sound. My expectation was off-base as this is a beautiful, touching film that rivals all re-makes.

Other notable movies about Jesus:
King of Kings (1961)
The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Russel Crow played Noah in "Noah" (2014 - haven't seen it).
It was ok for a movie desperately trying not to be religious, except for the rocks that turned into rock encrusted transformers. They weren't in the previews. Emma Watson was excellent.

I liked Stigmata (1999) and The Seventh Sign (1988).

The Greatest Story Ever Told 1965
The Ten Commandments 1956
Dogma 1999
Ben-Hur 1959

The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)
Controversial and highly speculative retelling of the gospels and crucifixion of Christ that takes the story in an unorthodox direction.

The DaVinci Code (2006)
A mystery thriller that also engages in controversial religious speculation on the legacy of Christ, the early church and the religious illuminati. (Also see Angels & Demons - neither movie is as good as the books by Dan Brown.)
I haven't seen The Last Temptation, but maybe a controversial fact. i read De Niro was offered the role, but rejected, quoting I can't possibly prepare for the role, I can't study the character, there's no sufficient available info. I don't know if the Gospels are enough... But the very next year he accepted the role of the devil (as Lois Cyfer, a clevev play on words with Lucifer) in Angel Heart. I saw that one, a psycholocal supernatural thriller, I don't know how I'd rate it, I'd have to think about it. Or something like that. Maybe I'm misinformed, who knows?

I saw The daVinci Code many times, when I was extremely anti-Christian. It's a fine film regardless.

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
This unfortunatelly, even though I heard no other movie on Jesus even comes close, as it was done "by the book", shall wa speak, and even in Aramenian, the language Jesus spoke I think for authenticity, I'll probably never watch. Watching someone being tortured for hours, even if it's Jesus (or especially then)? Count me out (in).

I'd rather have a movie that stressed why "We don't know" instead of zealousness.
One of my favorite movies/documentary involving religion is Religulous with Bill Maher.
This.

Originally Posted by Redwell
Bergman's The Seventh Seal (1957)
That movie didn't feel especially religious to me, I think religion is just the framework for the premise.

El crimen del padre Amaro/The crime of father amaro

Not about the religion itself,but a priest who comes to find the reality of life within the church-aswell as his struggles when he falls in love with a girl who is a devoted churchgoer.

Wise Blood (1979)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Passion of the Christ was pretty good. Exodus was pretty crap actually and i have Noah on my computer but havent seen it yet.

Death by butterflies
Religulous definitely. Anything that helps people think rationally about this ****. I've let religious people borrow it from me, and they bring it back admitting they were thinking clearer because of it.

Fictional- Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade are a couple of grail centered gems. Legion was surprisingly good as well (in spite of some weak performances from the supporting cast).

How many of the people mentioning Religulous actually think it's a good movie, as opposed to a movie they just stridently agree with? Because that's the topic.

How many of the people mentioning Religulous actually think it's a good movie, as opposed to a movie they just stridently agree with? Because that's the topic.
I think it's the most relevant one I could think of in response to the "we don't know" bit considering he specifically pushes that angle in the movie.

Personally, I didn't find it to be an especially exceptional documentary, but then I also haven't seen a whole lot of religious documentaries.

This unfortunatelly, even though I heard no other movie on Jesus even comes close, as it was done "by the book", shall wa speak, and even in Aramenian, the language Jesus spoke I think for authenticity, I'll probably never watch. Watching someone being tortured for hours, even if it's Jesus (or especially then)? Count me out (in).
Generally, religious folks just aren't happy if they don't have some element of suffering in their life, but, you're right, this is not a movie I could watch several times.

... and it's Aramaic, not Aramenian. Wouldn't want the thread to get too Religulous.

Generally, religious folks just aren't happy if they don't have some element of suffering in their life
And irreligious folks aren't happy if they aren't generalizing about religious folks, apparently.

Notice how none of the believers here have tried to use this thread to proselytize. You'd all find that boorish, right? So is the opposite.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Generally, religious folks just aren't happy if they don't have some element of suffering in their life, but, you're right, this is not a movie I could watch several times.

... and it's Aramaic, not Aramenian. Wouldn't want the thread to get too Religulous.
Thanks for the correction. I speak Aramaic fluently

And irreligious folks aren't happy if they aren't generalizing about religious folks, apparently.
I wouldn't know. I was speaking from experience. Even though it is a milder and more traditional form of suffering, compared to what we see in the movie, I've seen and taken part in the traditional fasting and lamenting, mostly out of respect for the older generation in the family.

I own The Passion of the Christ on DVD and I generally enjoy Caviezel's films, but, this is not a go-to title for me, not even leading up to Easter.

But Not Slight of Mind or Tongue...
My favorite is probably The Apostle(1997) with Robert Duvall