Movie Tab II

Tools    

How does a masterpiece only get three stars?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The same way that I tell people to raise my ratings one box if they disagree with me on the "art house" side and to lower my rating one box if they think I'm a Hollywood whore. I'm ready to post a lot about Tarkovsky if somebody wants to start/reopen a thread. My ratings aren't nearly as important as my writings; at least I hope so.

A system of cells interlinked
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Fincher, 2008)

I liked this flick, a lot. Sure, it had some pacing issues, and it felt a bit manipulative here and there. Overall though, I found it thought provoking and engaging.

Knowing (Proyas, 2009)

Bummer. This had the potential to be a fantastic film, but it blew it all away in the final act. The ending came off as contrived, lobbing armchair philosophy around while never fully exploring the concepts. Some seriously cool visuals, though. IO also enjoyed some of Proyas' signature elements, such as the round window/portal metaphor he likes to use in his films, as well as the dark strangers. It's shot really well, too.

Last Night
(McKellar, 1998)

A subtle film about the end of the world. I know, that sounds silly, but it fits this flick. I really liked this one, even though it bummed me out when all was said and done. I can't post my favorite shot from the film, as it's a spoiler!

Death Proof (Tarantino, 2007)

I really liked this seriously over-the-top chase film. One of the best car chases on film, period. Sure, it's your typical Tarantino fare, but what a ride! I think Tarantino was sort of pandering to guys like me; it worked.

Nice work Mark F, Andrei Rublev is probably my favourite Tarkovsky flick

And I love Nightmare Alley too.

Aliens (1986) - still gives me chills in places and is definitely my favorite of the Alien series...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Alien, (1979, Scott)- A-/A

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aliens, (1986, Cameron)- A-/A

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, (1939, Capra)- B+

Citizen Kane, (1941, Welles)- C+

Race to Witch Mountain, (2009, Fickman)- C

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Kong, (1933, Cooper and Shoedsack)- B

Che: Part 1
Steven Soderbergh 2008

Do I know anything about Cuban history or the Cuban Revolution ? No. Was this an entertaining, interesting and exciting film ? Yes. Benicio del Toro is in his element and any fans of his must see this. Looking forward to the second part.

Looking forward to the second part.
Get ready for disappointment. The second installment is repetitive and you don't really learn anything else about the man. But still, overall a nice achievement for Soderbergh and Benicio.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Welcome to the human race...
I've been a little busy lately...

Commando (Mark L. Lester, 1985)

I don't make any apologies for outright enjoying this film. It's an absolutely ridiculous Schwarzenegger vehicle that doesn't make the slightest pretension at being anything more than a fun 1980s action movie full of great one-liners, cheesy synthesiser music and questionable stunts and action. "Let off some steam, Bennett."

Fletch (Michael Ritchie, 1985)

A rather inventive, if flawed detective comedy. The actual mystery was surprisingly well-written - my only real complaint is that Chevy Chase's humour doesn't quite work in places. Of course, I laughed quite a few times over the course of the film but overall it was more amusing than hilarious. Still, with a rather solid script and some great sequences (the highlight being Fletch's prolonged escape from a large group of cops), it managed to be a solid enough film all around.

Spaceballs (Mel Brooks, 1987)

A totally different sort of comedy to the previous film, Spaceballs was still rather good. As with just about any Mel Brooks movie, it made great use of just about every different kind of gag there was - visual, verbal, whatever. Everything was pretty damned funny.

Up (Pete Docter and Bob Petersen, 2009)

I really can't argue with whatever most people have said about this movie. It's funny, exciting, very well-made and even very touching for such a purported cynic as myself. A good contender for the best film I've seen all year.

Old School (Todd Phillips, 2003)

Okay, a rather annoying and predictable frat-boy comedy that admittedly had a few rather funny moments spread out across its running times, but not enough to really redeem it in my eyes.

Get ready for disappointment. The second installment is repetitive and you don't really learn anything else about the man. But still, overall a nice achievement for Soderbergh and Benicio.
Thanks for the heads up. Damn.

The Final Destination: The 3D Experience
(David R. Ellis, 2009)
The Film Itself -
+

The 3D Theatrical Experience -

The film itself was pretty "meh," perhaps my least favorite of the Final Destination saga, but the experience of seeing it in 3D--this only having been the second movie I've ever seen in 3D at the theater--blew me away. Tires, knives, and nails were flying right at me, the characters seemingly jumping right out of the screen. Not to mention the ultra-comfy, stadium seating of the theater I attended, one I rarely get to go to (it's a good 30-minute drive). I had a blast, even though the movie itself was less than great.

Lethal Weapon -

(Richard Donner, 1987)

A very enjoyable action flick, although I much prefer Die Hard over this action quadrilogy.

Lethal Weapon 2 -
-

(Richard Donner, 1989)

More or less on par with the original, only with some really, really good nudity thrown in.

The Godfather Part II -

(Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)

I loved it just as much as the first two times I've seen it. I recently watched the original, so I had to give this one another go as well. Expect to see a post regarding Part III in the future, because when I watch one of these films, I feel like I must watch them all.

Dalva -

(Ken Cameron, 1996)

I don't even want to talk about it.

April Fool's Day -

(Phil Flores, 2008)

I actually really enjoyed the 1986 original, so I gave this direct-to-video remake a go. Turns out it was nothing like the original; just a film with the same name with only a remotely similar plot to draw in some buyers, which is what they did with me. It had its good points, but it was mostly all bad.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino, 2009)
+

Right here.

District 9 (Neill Blomkamp, 2009)

My thoughts.

The Big Country (William Wyler, 1958)

Wonderful western, best seen on the big screen, tells how Atlantic ship captain Jim McKay (Gregory Peck) moves out west to marry Pat (Carroll Baker), the daughter of rancher Major Terrill (Charles Bickford) who's in the middle of a feud with Rufus Hannassey (Oscar winner Burl Ives). Jim has run-ins with Rufus' eldest (Chuck Connors) and the Major's foreman (Charlton Heston) and also meets pretty Julie (Jean Simmons) who owns the property which could hold the key to how this bloody feud plays out. Beautiful scenery and an awesome score strongly augment a 165-minute film with great plot twists and character development which seems to fly by in under two hours. This is certainly one of my fave scores and contains some of my fave performances by most all the cast, especially Peck and Heston. I never miss a chance to herald Jerome Morross' music.

&feature=PlayList&p=CB30A90363595485&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=44

10 Things I Hate About You (Gil Junger, 1999)

Cute reworking of Shakepeare's The Taming of the Shrew relocated to an American high school is mostly a showcase for the young cast, although Larry Miller has many of the best lines as the father of the two opposite sisters. Heath Ledger proves to be a natural leading man and a good foil for Julia Stiles, and the other young performers all acquit themselves admirably. If you're familiar with the source, you might get something extra out of it, but I have a strong feeling that most people who enjoy this movie have not read the text nor seen the Zeffirelli film version which I'll now say that I give
. However, I'll bet that many people who like this will also like Clueless.

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (Kenji Misumi, 1973)

Chapter 5 of the series (I've got one left - White Heaven in Hell) is one of the most satisfying of the bunch. It's got incredible cinematography, a straightforward plot which fills up the entire running time, plenty of fight scenes in various forms and an excellent intro into the finale. I'll admit that at this point, there's nothing especially surprising about what occurs, but the filmmakers did seem to go out of their way to make a film for the fans here, although the series has been surprisingly consistent thus far.

The Class (Laurent Cantet, 2008)

This French film won last year's Cannes Palme d'Or Award and the Best Foreign Language Oscar. It's a solid film and one you might think that I would appreciate better than my rating. However, alhough the film seemed to fly by much quicker than the 129 minutes, it just didn't quite convince me that it told a complete story about an entire school year. The acting is really good though, and that may even be because most all the teachers and students were mostly playing somebody not all that far from themselves. The lead actor was a real teacher (François Bégaudeau) who wrote the novel the film is based on. Now, I'm not trying to dis the film at all. It's very realistic, at least to me. This school is supposed to be something similar to a junior high school in Paris, which seems to cover 7th-9th grades. My school covers basically 10th-12th grades, but many of these students are similar to ones I see on a daily basis, except for the fact that my students are much more troublesome. I mean, the students in Blackboard Jungle (1955) make these kids seem like angels, and for the most part, they are. Now, I don't really want to get into the problems you can have when you try to communicate with another generation and they think you mean something blatantly sexual when you mean something much more innocent. That part I can also relate to, but the film really glossed over that section. Overall, I think it's a good film which I recommend but it does seem to omit some crucial details about the reality of inner-city modern schools although it gets the gist of them quite well.

Murmur of the Heart (Louis Malle, 1971)
+

Now this one I feel I'm underrating by a half a box because it really is an almost perfect little film and one of Malle's best. Considering that the entire film leads up to an act of incest, it seems to be almost like watching the most natural thing in the world, at least as far as that could be considered natural. Of course, at some point in man's early history, incest must have been the normal way to reproduce, but this film somehow depicts something which seems to be nothing less than a sacred act of love. The mother (Lea Massari) has three sons and a husband who doesn't especially love her anymore. It's 1954, and the youngest son (Benoît Ferreux) is 15 and really getting interested in sex. He goes to a Catholic school, but at the instigation of his older brothers, he loses his cherry at a bordello and then becomes attracted to a couple of girls his own age. While spending some time at a hotel with his mother, the boy almost becomes obsessed with how perfect a female his mother is (as most boys do at some point), but when she realizes that he's "checking her out", she slaps him and makes it clear that it's just plain wrong. However, enough things happen to both the Mother and Son on Bastille Day that something transpires which will undoubtedly shape the rest of their lives, and I, for one, can see it as a unique occurrence, totally loving and positive. The French, They are a Funny Race!

The Good German (Steven Soderbergh, 2006)

Soderbergh's attempt to fashion an homage to WWII-era romances is surprisingly-entertaining, but at the same time, it's painted with too-many broad strokes and something which almost resembles an archness which makes it appear that it's actually above the genre for some reason. Just looking at the posters, one can see what's going on, although the film is probably more reminiscent of The Third Man in the plot machinations. Soderbergh shoots the film himself (quite handsomely in glorious black-and-white) as well as carrying out the editing personally. Thomas Newman, who's one of my fave contemporary film composers, does seem to misjudge his score a bit though. It's loud and intrusive at times, but never anything which Max Steiner would have ever done. Even so, I personally get just as much from the score as I could do without it, but it does add to the concept that the filmmakers somehow feel they're not too serious, although George Clooney and Cate Blanchett give appropriate performances and never seem to make light of their situations. I guess what's really missing from the film is the wit and tragic romance which is barely on display at all. I'd love to see Soderbergh make another attempt at this kind of film but with an original script idea next time (and I think Paul Attanasio (Quiz Show, Donnie Brasco, Disclosure) is one of our better mainstream scriptwriters.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
The Drowning Pool

This movie holds up very well to Harper, which I immensely enjoyed. I'm seriously looking into reading the novels these films were based on. Paul Newman's lead character is one of my new favorites of his roles. Even though the elements of the first were there, I didn't enjoy this one quite as much, and I'm not sure why. But it's still a total mystery with sharp with wit thrown in and of course some of the most original and interesting characters.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The storyline is odd but quite interesting as a fantasy. I'm not exactly rushing out to join in on the hype this film recieved, but I enjoyed it and it certainly held my attention. Really good performances all around and commendable direction. I didn't find the script to be a masterpiece though, which is a big thing I look for in movies.

Overall:

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Bordello of Blood

Saw this one as a kid and thought it was great because it had vampires and lots of boobies. Well, I've grown up and even though I still love those two things, this time around the film did not do it for me. I remember Angie Everhart being more sexy in the film than she actually is. The acting is beyond horrible, even for B-Movie standards and Dennis Miller is not a leading man. The twist ending is lame, yet fits into those twist ending Saturday night horror flick genre. The vampires were too easy to kill, using holy water and super soakers. The gore is nice, but this comedic horror film is low on laughs and good times.

Demon Knight

The other horror film from the Tales of the Crypt series (there are only the two) is a lot better. I actually never saw this one till I did the double feature night, glad I watched this one second because I had a feeling that I would enjoy it more. Billy Zane is over the top in a Beetlejuice style performance, clearly the highlight in this film. The film manages to stay entertaining, despite its limitations in locations. There seems to be more of a back-story to this one then Bordello, which makes it 100 times more interesting. The special effects are neat and low rent. I had more fun watching this one than Bordello and would recommend it over Bordello any day of the week.

Suspect's Reviews

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The Class (Laurent Cantet, 2009)

This French film won last year's Cannes Palme d'Or Award and the Best Foreign Language Oscar. It's a solid film and one you might think that I would appreciate better than my rating. However, alhough the film seemed to fly by much quicker than the 129 minutes, it just didn't quite convince me that it told a complete story about an entire school year. The acting is really good though, and that may even be because most all the teachers and students were mostly playing somebody not all that far from themselves. The lead actor was a real teacher (François Bégaudeau) who wrote the novel the film is based on. Now, I'm not trying to dis the film at all. It's very realistic, at least to me. This school is supposed to be something similar to a junior high school in Paris, which seems to cover 7th-9th grades. My school covers basically 10th-12th grades, but many of these students are similar to ones I see on a daily basis, except for the fact that my students are much more troublesome. I mean, the students in Blackboard Jungle (1955) make these kids seem like angels, and for the most part, they are. Now, I don't really want to get into the problems you can have when you try to communicate with another generation and they think you mean something blatantly sexual when you mean something much more innocent. That part I can also relate to, but the film really glossed over that section. Overall, I think it's a good film which I recommend but it does seem to omit some crucial details about the reality of inner-city modern schools although it gets the gist of them quite well.
Yep, another disappointment from Cannes.

The problem with most of the students is they're just stupid. The teacher isn't Jaime Escalante, all he has to offer is frustration.

Look at the clothes they are wearing, are they really that poor. The girl in the middle of the picture doesn't seem to be suffering from malnutrition.

The six grade center I went to in Vegas was much worse. Forced busing. I got in fights all the time. A teacher picked me up out of my chair and through me into his desk. I didn't see any kids getting shot at in the film.

Hell, there was a great looking blonde chick that through down with a dude in one of my classes, she did really damn good!

If every time an incident involving physical contact resulted in a expulsion at my school, there wouldn't be a graduating class or any teachers.

I'm sure some of you MoFo's have or had it much worse than I did.

P.S. My mom was a teacher.

The Nun's Story (Fred Zinnemann, 1959)
+

The Nun's Story is a very unique film. It's based on a true story told from an insider who was a European nun and specifically delineates why it's so difficult for most people to follow a life which, in this case, the Catholic Church says is conducive to becoming one with God. The movie doesn't attack the Catholic Church at all. It's just that the central character, Gabrielle (the radiant Audrey Hepburn), who becomes Sister Luke, is the daughter of a famous Belgian surgeon (Dean Jagger: perfection), and her father tells her up front that he cannot see her being obedient to bells and thus, even though she joins the Church in the hope of becoming a nurse in the Belgian Congo, she has a constant struggle to overcome what the Church proclaims as her disobedience. This film is so far different than almost any other film that it almost belongs to its own genre: the quiet and 95% non-melodramatic film about religion. This and Elmer Gantry are easily my two fave films about religion, but they couldn't be more different except for the fact that Dean Jagger is awesome in both of them. Elmer Gantry is a "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" melodrama which still contains more truth than many "indie, realistic" films could ever imagine. The Nun's Story is so sublimely-beautiful, quiet, and yet exhilarating that it could also teach modern-day indie flicks a thing or two about how to tell a potent story.

The Nun's Story is one of those rare films where the acting is equally as important as the direction. Now, I realize that this comment sounds silly, but what I'm trying to say is that this film is one of the best-acted films I've ever seen, and most of the film is truly involved with people and their souls. If you don't believe me, look at that pic of Audrey above. However, Fred Zinnemann's direction is meticulous and covers a verisimilitude of worldwide locations which is almost mind-boggling. I've always felt that Zinnemann was one of the top-of-the-line directors (A Man For All Seasons, The Day of the Jackal, High Noon, The Men, From Here to Eternity, Oklahoma!, The Search, A Hatful of Rain, The Member of the Wedding), but I find this to easily be his most-complex and effortless direction, although it does resemble a bit what he did later (and won his second Best Director Oscar for) in A Man For All Seasons. Both films are about spiritual concerns, yet the protagonists come and leave them from different perspectives. The thing which really makes this film even more unique is the Peter Finch character of Dr. Fortunati who is a healthy antedote to all those holier-than-thou flicks because he's sexy and gives Sister Luke her own set of punishments every time she shows a semblance of pride.

Before I get too far making The Nun's Story sound like some boring, austere flick, I want to make sure that you realize that there are several scenes of excruciating suspense and violence. It's amazing how strong scenes can be when they're surrounded by the normal quiet and then, BANG! There are two such scenes in The Nun's Story and both are basically mind-blowing. Then, there are all the other scenes where people lose loved ones, get a disease, have their dreams dashed, etc., so The Nun's Story is an intense experience all the way through, whether it's because it's so calm or because it's so in-your-face. The Honor Roll of actresses includes Edith Evans, Peggy Ashcroft, Mildred Dunnock, Beatrice Straight, Colleen Dewhurst, Patricia Collinge, Ruth White, etc.

The Man With a Million aka The Million-Pound Note (Ronald Neame, 1954)
+

This film needs to be restored and put on DVD. It's based on a Mark Twain story and it's extremely witty. However, the film is slightly broader than it should have been, but that certainly doesn't keep it from being worth-watching. The way the film looks and sounds now, the color is uneven and the sound is inconsistent. Gregory Peck is a penniless sailor who shows up in London and somehow finds two brothers who realize that he's a perfect person for their unnamed "test" which involves giving a poor man a "Million-Pound Note" (that's way more than a million dollars nowadays). Of course, nobody can change his note, but it's a cool social satire which probably could be remade into an even-cooler flick. Yep, I'm now officially saying this should be remade along with The Tenth Victim. Does anybody else want to go in with me and buy the rights to these films so we can make some bucks when we remake a couple of good flicks? (I'm serious. I already own the copyrights of some films, but I don't believe they're worth remaking, at least not yet. )

Always Together (Frederick De Cordova, 1947)

This is truly amazing. I cannot find an image for this flick which is actually unique in more than one way in film history. This is probably the first one where the husband (Robert Hutton, dad of Jim Hutton and grandpa of Timothy Hutton) asks for alimony, and that's because his wife (Joyce Reynolds) gets a cool million from a dying millionaire (Cecil Kellaway) who doesn't die. The wife is probably the biggest movie fan there is, at least the biggest Warner Bros. fan there is. Part of what makes this film so much fun are all the cameos by WB stars, such as Errol Flynn, Alexis Smith, Jack Carson, Dennis Morgan, Eleanor Parker, and, best of all, a hilarious turn by Humphrey Bogart who pokes his nose up against a window while the rain is pouring outside.

The Battle at Elderbush Gulch (D.W. Griffith, 1913)

I finally saw Griffith's 29-minute flick which set the stage for his masterpiece The Birth of a Nation. In this film, he cranks up the melodramatics, shows plenty of racism (in this case, the Indians), and also basically pre-directs some of the enormous battle scenes he made for The Birth of a Nation. This film has plenty of silly acting, makeup, costumes and sets, but what do you expect from an almost 100-year-old flick? On the other hand, this film shows a far-more-sophisticated way of directing huge action scenes, especially from a God's Eye View, and it also shows ways to crank up the melodrama using the puppies and the baby. No matter how much you think you hate Mr. Griffith (remember, you should experience these things for yourself), he was the greatest filmmaker of the early silent era, not only in visuals but in the way he pushed people's buttons to exploit any of their prejudices and dramatic reactions. For the record, I give the racist film The Birth of a Nation
and I give Triumph of the Will a high
+, so do with me what you will.

Sonny Boy (Robert Martin Carroll, 1989) Who knows what rating, but somewhere between
and

I only watched the first half of this one because I tried to placate my wife. Now, it's not like I thought it was better for me to watch a flick about a 375-pound crime kingpin (Paul L. Smith, Midnight Express) who lives with a transvestite (R.I.P David Carradine) as his wife, but certain things happened while I was watching it last night. The supporting cast of Brad Dourif, Sydney Lassick and Conrad Janis is very good, and some of the dialogue and acting make the whole film come across as a comedy, but there are other moments involving the baby who turns up later on which makes the film more-complex or is that more-pathetic? I have this memory that somebody here has seen this, so if so, tell me what you think.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Jim Gandolfini's let himself go a bit since The Sopranos ended, eh?

Sonny Boy (Robert Martin Carroll, 1989) Who knows what rating, but somewhere between
and

I have this memory that somebody here has seen this, so if so, tell me what you think.
That is freaky. I have seen this, but probably twenty years ago now. However, last night while I was at the video store I literally had this in my hand. I decided to put it back on the shelf after some deliberation, but now I'll go ahead and get it next time. Hundreds of thousands of movies to rent at that store and I just happened to be considering that one. Went with Quantrill's Raiders (1958) which was just released by Warner Brothers as part of their Archives series and Happily Ever After (2004) starring Charlotte Gainsbourg, who I think I've become obsessed with (really excited about Von Trier's Antichrist).

Anyway, I'll refresh my memory on Sonny Boy and get back to you in a few days.