Film
41.03%
16 votes
Movie
17.95%
7 votes
Other
39 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I used to use movie all the time but now it's more like "I go to the movies" but I "talk about films". I don't know why it is but when talking about films, I always use the term, film.

Doesn't really matter to me. It's a good thing that they're interchangeable... gives more flexibility when movie buffs wanna write about film.

See?

Motion Picture!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Artistically and critically, both are useful as far as I'm concerned. "Movie" generally has connotations of something less artistically complex, less mature, less worthwhile... But really, I use them usually interchangeably though I see "film" as more of a technical term removed from the content being viewed, a term for people who actually handle film to use. Otherwise it comes across too much as smug shorthand. So essentially I use both to convey "content-carrier" but will apply either to indicate a more serious film or more fun movie, without necessarily implying that one is objectively better than the other.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I used to use "film" when discussing more serious fare. Now I use them almost completely interchangeably.

I usually say "movie." But I like Miss Vicky's distinction, about how "film" encompasses virtually all motion pictures but "movie" tends to imply fiction. I hadn't considered that before, but it makes sense. Without entirely realizing why I doubt I ever call documentaries "movies."

I used to use 'film' for more 'serious' films and 'movie' for some more 'laid back' stuff,
Same here. I still do this a little.

English is my second language. I studied in the USA. That's the reason why use word "movie" when I speak English.

In my native language we use word "film".

I guess I use both but movie more often. If I close my eyes and visualize each word individually this is what I see.

Film:

Movie:

Doesn't matter a whole lot to me as I usually say, for example that Chinatown is one of my favorite movies in a casual conversation but when it's an essay, analysis or something more serious I would usually say favorite film. But I guess I use both the same amount.

Well, I use both. Whatever comes out of my mouth really.

Its a Talkie!!

Unless it isn't.

Hmm when I was a kid movies was an American word. You knew what it meant but you didn't use it. It was a kind of exotic word, ok for Americans to use but you'd be a bit of a plonker if you used it here. It's always a film to me, I don't think I've ever called a film a movie , now I hear people saying movies over here too....but for me it'll always be going to the pictures to watch a film