Best films with a Prostitute as the main character

Tools    

I'd also say Nights of Cabiria, I also like the musical remake made by Bob Fosse called Sweet Charity
I looked up Sweet Charity also because I thought it was about prostitutes, but IMDB described her as a "Taxi dancer in a sleazy dance hall."
Was she just a dancer or did she do more in the back of that hall?

She was a dancer (more like a stripper or something like that if I remember correctly) not a prostitute, but the recommendation was because it's the same story then Nights of Cabiria. And even if she's not a prostitute she gets abused by different men, etc. like Nights of Cabiria.

Ken Russell's version of Pretty Woman.

They really don't make 'em like this anymore. The sequel is 80's-tastic, too.

Bob Hoskin's second best film.

Not about prostitution per se, but a good film.

I don't really care for it, but as it hasn't been mentioned.

Can add London To Brighton to the list too.
I watched "London To Brighton" when it came out. I remember it was disturbing and emotional film. I have not forgotten parts of it to this day which says a lot considering it's been almost 10 years. I would want to rewatch it, but it's not a mainstream movie. A question to you:- how would you rate it?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Elisabeth Shue's character is not the main character.
I should have been more clear and just said "main characters" - she had 2nd billing, good enough I guess

I like films where the prostitute is the moral person, like in "Stagecoach" as opposed to villains. All they want is a few bucks, big deal, they offer more of themselves. A lot of women take a LOT more than just money for sex, but they're called "housewives"

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Thanks for the reminder!

This is my #11 all-time, didn't even think about it. I'm not a fan of Julie, but it's such a great film that encompasses life.

Buńuel's Belle de Jour is my favourite along with Neil Jordan's Mona Lisa and Ron Howard's Night Shift, but I'll also throw in...

Salon Kitty - 1976. Tinto Brass' notorious exploiter doesn't quite live up to expectations, but is still an iconic must see.

Personal Services- 1987. Overlooked Brit classic based on legendary high class Madam, Cynthia Payne.

Streetwalkin' - 1985. A real 80's guilty pleasure to rival HK's Angel recommendation.

Crimes of Passion - 1984. Ken Russell's other hooker flick is even more deranged than Whore and twice as stylish.

Working Girls - 1986. Another largely forgotten and overlooked essential. It's ages since I've seen this but I remember it seeming very authentic.

I'll also mention Jack Hill's Foxy Brown, and the Swedish exploiter Thriller: A Cruel Picture