A Quiet Place = VASTLY overrated!

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hence I hate going into films with expectations. In a perfect world, there would be one teaser for the film, that's it. There have been numerous films that I feel I would have enjoyed more if I didn't hear the "rave reviews" beforehand.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
In my case, it seems like I see a quite few such films just as the backlash against the initial hype is setting in so I ultimately end up coming out feeling very ambivalent about whatever I just watched.

I personally liked it a lot. Definitely not perfect. But I really enjoyed it and thought it took a good concept and ran with it very well.

I understand hype can kill a movie for many people. I try to not let hype or hate influence my own opinion, though who knows how much I succeed in that effort.

Regardless, it makes me really cheerful seeing a horror movie with that level of popularity. I was happy when It (which is kind of a horror blockbuster, aint it?) became a sensation. Get Out, too. It doesn't happen as much as it should.

Damn. Really? Disappointing if true, but I'll give it a chance anyway.

I don't think you can compare A Quiet Place against Hereditary anyway

You can't but looking at DocHoliday's taste profile (loves Sinister, hates Babadook, found A Quiet Place overrated) the chances of him liking Hereditary are fairly small. Hereditary is in the field of Repulsion, Don't Look Now, and Bug you really need a specific pallet to enjoy Hereditary

A system of cells interlinked
Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. That said, I had issues with the idea that...

WARNING: "A Quiet Place" spoilers below
...no one on the entire planet had tried using sound as a weapon against the ultra sound-sensitive aliens until a girl with a hearing aid randomly figures it out while under duress.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I don’t know what has happened these days - maybe the proliferation of YouTube reviewers and traditionally uneducated critics but I’ve seen them praise wildly mediocre films. It’s incompetence at the least - corruption at the worst.
Speaking of which, remind me if RLM liked this, I watched their video about this yet can't remember anything about beyond the fact that they pointed out plot holes and then complained about CinemaSins' tendency to point out plot holes.

Damn. Really? Disappointing if true, but I'll give it a chance anyway.
I don't think you can compare A Quiet Place against Hereditary anyway given that one's about aliens and the other's about black magic (to say nothing of the differing tones in the horror elements). If anything, the latter has a little more in common with It Comes at Night (which, check me if I'm wrong, you didn't like either) or its more recognisable old-school influences. That being said, I thought both were middling so whatever.
Unfortunately haven’t watched it...yet. Wish they did a podcast which would make things easier. Glad you’re watching them! Will be good for you and your reviews. They have a lot of personality, don’t take themselves too seriously and put the time in with detailed discussion. And Of course they are not afraid to be negative.

I don’t think they’re at a stage where their reviews are being accepted by rottentomatoes. I believe Chris Stuckmans are....that to me would be the prime example of this generation of reviewers. But I guess good for him - I take his scores lightly after having gotten to ‘Know’ his fan friendly style.

...no one on the entire planet had tried using sound as a weapon against the ultra sound-sensitive aliens until a girl with a hearing aid randomly figures it out while under duress.

Obviously this is a common question..here's what I would point out.

Remember this is a rural Pennsylvania where you only had 4-7 of the monsters...the cities might have hundreds and the Sonic weapons might not work. The Strain is a good TV show to binge as it tries to realistically cover what a monster invasion in a city would look like.

As for it being over-rated I've got it at 4 right now and Hereditary at 10, it might make my top ten at the end of the year

1. Isle of Dogs
2. Won't You Be My Neighbor
3. Thoroughbreds (2017)
4. A Quiet Place
5. Deadpool 2
6. Avengers Infinity War
7. Annihilation
8. Evil Genius:True Story of America's Most Diabolical Bank Heist
9. Adrift
10. Hereditary

I couldn't with The Strain. The book was ok but something about the series really put me off. I quit it.

A better book was Justin Cronin's The 12, and maybe that will get made into a series as there's other books.

Major plot hole indeed.

Yeah, it's fun if you don't think about it too much. To me, it was a new spin on "The Last Man on Earth." If I were in that situation, I would go out as little as possible. but that would make a dull movie.

I couldn't with The Strain. The book was ok but something about the series really put me off. I quit it.

A better book was Justin Cronin's The 12, and maybe that will get made into a series as there's other books.
I thought The Strain was pretty good series. At times it was better, at times it was worse but I mostly enjoyed the whole ride. Haven't read the books.

I have read the first book of Cronin's trilogy and maybe will continue at some point. There were good ideas in it but the shift into post apocalyptic future didn't work that well. Also it has no excuse of being that long

Also just finished A Quiet Place and will write a review after dinner but lets just say that I feel like at home in this thread.

Welcome to the human race...
Unfortunately haven’t watched it...yet. Wish they did a podcast which would make things easier. Glad you’re watching them! Will be good for you and your reviews. They have a lot of personality, don’t take themselves too seriously and put the time in with detailed discussion. And Of course they are not afraid to be negative.

I don’t think they’re at a stage where their reviews are being accepted by rottentomatoes. I believe Chris Stuckmans are....that to me would be the prime example of this generation of reviewers. But I guess good for him - I take his scores lightly after having gotten to ‘Know’ his fan friendly style.
Yeah uh don't think I'm watching their videos on anything remotely approaching a regular basis or anything (and lmao at the idea that doing so will improve my review writing). I used to watch Stuckmann but gave up on him a while back - not really in the habit of watching YouTube reviewers these days (essays tend to be more interesting to me because they tend to get at the heart of the film instead of settling for superficial observations) and, besides which, surely the best means of improving my own written reviews is to absorb...other written reviews.

The family would have benefited from adopting some of this guy's lifestyle choices...

Obviously this is a common question..here's what I would point out.

Remember this is a rural Pennsylvania where you only had 4-7 of the monsters...the cities might have hundreds and the Sonic weapons might not work. The Strain is a good TV show to binge as it tries to realistically cover what a monster invasion in a city would look like.
Just out of curiosity...

Why wouldn't sonic weapons work in a city if a hearing device alone is enough to drive a monster at point blank crazy? Also monster behavior was completely predictable which should have given military multiple options to destroy them with or without sonic weapons.

Just out of curiosity...
well the way I see it...

It's better to just watch The Strain but it's a difference in logistics. Killing a single monster that comes into your home is one thing, killing a group of monsters with a group of people is an entirely different thing. Also gaining ground and holding it would also be problematic because while you might be able to use sonic forces for an hour/day your going to have issues with a power source.

It's like if you wanted to shoot the Sheriff, you could do that. But then you've got to deal with the deputy's then you've got to deal with the Marshals they you've got to deal with the military. Each step up deals with a different set of problems.

well the way I see it...

It's better to just watch The Strain but it's a difference in logistics. Killing a single monster that comes into your home is one thing, killing a group of monsters with a group of people is an entirely different thing. Also gaining ground and holding it would also be problematic because while you might be able to use sonic forces for an hour/day your going to have issues with a power source.

It's like if you wanted to shoot the Sheriff, you could do that. But then you've got to deal with the deputy's then you've got to deal with the Marshals they you've got to deal with the military. Each step up deals with a different set of problems.
I'm not sure if the spoilers are needed (IMO not but I'll leave them just in case cause it's pretty new film).

WARNING: "A Quiet Place & The Strain" spoilers below
I've watched The Strain and it has nothing to do with the situation in A Quiet Place. In The Strain there is supernatural intelligence than makes plans, uses humans and human technology to achieve its goals. In A Quiet Place there's a bunch of stupid animals that instinctively rush towards the loudest noise.

There's no gaining and losing ground with beasts that can be led where ever you want to. And power doesn't seem to be issue even 1.5 years into the crisis in the middle of nowhere Also nothing in the film implies that there would be different steps to anything, all the beasts are the same (find a way to kill one, rinse and repeat). And like I said in my review if they die to single shotgun blast killing them should be easy for military especially when they could be gathered for slaughter by using loud noises.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
First and foremost, I want to say I thought A Quiet Place was a very good film. I don't necessarily think it was on-par with what all the hype suggested, but it is definitely the front-runner for best horror I've seen this year. I also think it's a film that's better in your initial viewing than it is in-retrospect, because glaring holes become more blatantly visible.

Second and lastly, I want to say that, in-general, saying that a bulk of individuals only liked a film because they're uneducated or anything of that nature, is, in itself, widely dismissive. Saying individuals like a film that you don't because they're uneducated is a cop-out excuse and shows an unwillingness to engage or listen to opinions other than the ones' said in ones' self-made echo-chamber. This statement also goes for individuals who think A Quiet Place was "great," and that anybody who doesn't like it isn't "smart enough" to, etc.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
First and foremost, I want to say I thought A Quiet Place was a very good film. I don't necessarily think it was on-par with what all the hype suggested, but it is definitely the front-runner for best horror I've seen this year. I also think it's a film that's better in your initial viewing than it is in-retrospect, because glaring holes become more blatantly visible.

Second and lastly, I want to say that, in-general, saying that a bulk of individuals only liked a film because they're uneducated or anything of that nature, is, in itself, widely dismissive. Saying individuals like a film that you don't because they're uneducated is a cop-out excuse and shows an unwillingness to engage or listen to opinions other than the ones' said in ones' self-made echo-chamber. This statement also goes for individuals who think A Quiet Place was "great," and that anybody who doesn't like it isn't "smart enough" to, etc.
Eh I hope you’re not talking about my post. My point.....and it’s an assumption, is that the traditional critics review is fading. My thoughts were that esteemed critics generally had a university education say in journalism - whereby they learn or refine critical thinking and writing skills, which of course helps their reviews. They would then need get a job for a newspaper etc. This can be bypassed these days with YouTube and blogging etc. That doesn’t mean that bloggers or YouTube’s are unintelligent - I just respect the process of completing a formal education and further getting a job in that industry where there’s real experience guiding the work. But these are basically assumptions, how do I know these YouTube reviewers don’t have this education and work experience.

That brings me on to another point. If you are submitting reviews on YouTube and if it’s a living. You are dependant on your fanbase for your salary as oppose to working for a newspaper. I wonder how much that influences the reviewer.

Basically I’m very much going by inductive thinking here. Have not done a large study of course. I’ve seen some really poor films that are critically praised - it feels wrong. I appreciate film is subjective and I live in a small world and can’t speak for the majority but I also have confidence that I know a film is good, bad or middling. If that’s ignorance then it’s bliss.