October Horror Challenge

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I absolutely hated Halloween 3. Though it's hard to call it the absolute worst when you got a Halloween movie starring Busta Rhymes...
NSFW - Language

Suspect's Reviews

It's completely nuts with weird performances. Even people who like it admit it's a complete mess. So yeah i'd say it's interesting in that sense. Personally i think it manages the impossible task of being both boring and insane which is why i really don't like it, but maybe you'll find something to appreciate there.

I like the third Exorcist which was made by William Peter Blatty the author of the book.
I just saw the trailer. I'd known of this since I was a kid but always stayed away. Judging from the trailer, it looks like the photography, mood, lighting and effects are right up my alley. I'll distance the first film far away and see if I can take it haha.

I know we went over some of these, but these are the ones I personally would love to see...

First I thought an Asian horror movie was ideal, then also another foreign type film, but with the "three foreign films" category it's covered. So that's good.

A slasher movie is a must, a Hammer/Universal type classic horror is also a must. Then I really like some subgenres; zombie horror, body horror etc.

And others that could be fun are: The highest rated horror movie you haven't seen ... and ... The horror movie that's been on your watchlist for the longest time

Also, a horror movie made this decade is good.

Some more suggestions

Add George A. Romero to the directors
Watch films of different genres like slasher, supernatural, monster, comedy etc
Watch a certain number of films from a certain number of decades

Some more suggestions

Watch a certain number of films from a certain number of decades
I'll recommend Romero's "Bruiser" for anyone who's interested.

Awesome thanks for your input. I'll add all of those in about 10 minutes as i'm about to do something, will post when i've done it. I like the highest rated one, what would that be going by IMDB, Letterboxd?
Probably IMDb... It's the biggest one.

But whatever the person uses most I guess. it's up to the individual.

Some more suggestions

Yep, I want that second one too. A couple different subgenres could be nice.

And a Romero film is almost a necessity.

I was just going to ask if anyone wanted to do a 31 nights of Halloween type thing.

Watch one from each of the following Directors: David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper, Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci.

Watch Two Horror Anthologies.
Watch a Horror film from the year you were born.
Watch Two Horror Sequels.
Watch a horror film from three different countries.

I haven't seen much horror but I'm thinking we watch at least one from from each of the following

David Cronenberg
John Carpenter
Wes Craven
Tobe Hooper

Am I missing anyone?

Cronenberg only made 6 horror movies so I would pass on him swap him out for

Terrence Fisher

Alfred Hitchcock
William Castle
Ken Russell
Mario Bava

I haven't seen much horror but I'm thinking we watch at least one from from each of the following

David Cronenberg
John Carpenter
Wes Craven
Tobe Hooper

Am I missing anyone?
James Wan

It's completely nuts with weird performances. Even people who like it admit it's a complete mess. So yeah i'd say it's interesting in that sense. Personally i think it manages the impossible task of being both boring and insane which is why i really don't like it, but maybe you'll find something to appreciate there.

I like the third Exorcist which was made by William Peter Blatty the author of the book.
Yeah, the one where George C. Scott plays Det. Bill Kinderman and Jason Miller returns as a different character (Patient "X")? That one was pretty good. The only thing about Exorcist II was that Linda Blair teamed up again with Kitty Winn (who played Sharon in both I & II, but is killed in II).

This sounds fun.

To the challenge of watching at least one film by certain directors, I would add Pete Walker. Pete Walker is an outstanding British film maker, and all he makes are horror films that rarely have happy endings. He's a great director, and I would love to see MoFo's get more acquainted with him. My personal favorite of his films is House of Whipchord, which is one of my favorite horror films and one of my top 50 favorite films of all time.

Should have a 'home invasion', 'supernatural' and a 'creature feature' in there as well imo
Added Home Invasion and Creature Feature. If everyone wants to add Supernatural too i will, my only concern is if that's maybe a bit too broad. What do others think?
Supernatural might sort Ghost Story?

Adding more would certainly make it harder to complete the challenge. But I think he deserves it. Argento was a landmark director because no one made horror films like him in the 60's, but he was never particularly good at finding good actors or getting strong performances out of his actors. I think Argento's films suffered greatly for it. Walker is not as well known a director, but in my opinion he is a much better director. He is quite iconic in the UK, but not as well known in America.

I'm glad you've decided to add him Cammo. And out of curiosity, have you seen any of his films?

@seanc you should do this but your only challenge is to watch The Exorcist in October
Challenge accepted...maybe. 2017 is the year. For you and @Swan

Challenge accepted...maybe. 2017 is the year. For you and @Swan
I thought I was the only person who hadn't seen The Exorcist.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Nope, not sure if i had heard of him, i had heard of a few of his movies when i looked him up though. Going to watch House of Whipcord for this and i'll see what i think.

Only seen Suspiria from Argento so can't comment on the other part of your post. The acting in that film was bad but the visuals and soundtrack are incredible, IMO.
Well, I bought Inferno, another Argento film. I didn't even finish watching it. I couldn't. It was way worse than Suspiria. Again, the music and use of color were good, but the cinematography wasn't great and the acting was atrocious. In one of his films he used a horrible soap opra TV actress. The only one of his films that I actually enjoyed was Two Evil Eyes. Actually I just looked it up on IMDB and I'm a bit confused. It says there that it's two short stories, and the first one is the one I mentioned with the horrible soap opera actress. The second part is what I'm talking about. Harvey Keitel plays a sleezy reporter who adopts a black cat. That half of the movie is the best Argento I've seen. He worked with George A. Romero on it too.

For Pete Walker here are my recommendations:

House of Whipchord
Frightmare
The Confessional
Die Screaming Marianne

I haven't seen all of his films, but those four are outstanding. My personal favorite is House of Whipchord, but I wouldn't neccessarily count it over the other three. They are all superb horror films. Definitely add them all to your to-watch list. You won't regret it.

Also a random Slasher that I would nominate. Not to be added to a list or anything, but just a personal recommendation. Bloody Moon (1981) is a Halloween rip-off, but in my oppinion it is much better than Halloween. I also want to recommend a couple more horror films randomly. Martyrs and Onibaba. Onibaba is not scary, but more thematically a horror film. A black and white Japanese film with superb acting, a masterpiece of cinema. Martyrs is an incredible film about torture and death to a supernatural and phylisophical perspective with brutal gore and a divinely inspiring meaningful story.

P.S. I can't believe there are people who haven't seen The Exorcist. By the same director, Sorcerer is a great film, though it's not a true horror film but more of a thriller.