2010 Best Cinematography Oscar

Tools    

Which Oscar nominee showcased the finest cinematography?
35.00%
7 votes
0%
0 votes
HARRY POTTER & THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (Bruno Delbonnel)
25.00%
5 votes
THE HURT LOCKER (Barry Ackroyd)
35.00%
7 votes
INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (Robert Richardson)
5.00%
1 votes
THE WHITE RIBBON (Christian Berger)
20 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
All I know is that every modern piece of animation (including this year's Up), has at least one D.P. and many have more than one, so if they qualify for the job, they can qualify for an Award concerning their job.

Giving Holden all kinds of rep in this thread, much deserved rep.

Still haven't voted on this one cause I'm torn between two films that I think might win, and one that I really hope doesn't win.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You know what my favorite thing about this thread is? There are already twenty replies for a thread devoted to cinematography!

Awesome.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You know what my favorite thing about this thread is? There are already twenty replies for a thread devoted to cinematography!

Awesome.
Cinematographers really are the unsung heros of the film industry.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
Some of my favorite people. and my favorite aspect of film to study...

"... do it, Mr. Bishop."
POW - shot to the head.

I would just like to second everything Holden Pike said.
And third it, too.

One has to ask to themselves, will the "rich" cinematographers be dumping their camera's all together pretty soon?

All the things that can be done in linear editing with digital filters and then all the FX possibilities, even shot composition, I wonder; maybe even digital cameras are outdated?

Is the future of cinematography to be video game creation?

I think for some, yes.

Avatar, not a movie, but a non interactive video game (one you only get to watch) - which promotes the actual game.

Avatar is a commercial for a video game?
Maybe.

"... do it, Mr. Bishop."
POW - shot to the head.

I would just like to second everything Holden Pike said.
And third it, too.

One has to ask to themselves, will the "rich" cinematographers be dumping their camera's all together pretty soon?

All the things that can be done in linear editing with digital filters and then all the FX possibilities, even shot composition, I wonder; maybe even digital cameras are outdated?

Is the future of cinematography to be video game creation?

I think for some, yes.

Avatar, not a movie, but a non interactive video game (one you only get to watch) - which promotes the actual game.

Avatar is a commercial for a video game?
Maybe.
Unfortunately the industry seems to be going digital, but as it is with everything in life, you need to keep up with the industry. So if this is the way things go, people should be able to adapt.

Tarantino has said that he will retire once that happens, I hope he's not serious.

Have you still not seen it yet?

QT doesn't even like Final Cut. He likes real film, in his hands. (doesn't always get to have what he likes, however )

New cameras are digital and so they are computers .

High end cameras such as the Red One, and even lower end (P2) plug into even larger computer processors, making them simply an eye for a monster computer .

This is image capturing for digital manipulation and redesign in the virtual world .

Photography? May become a novelty, like oil painting and sculpture .

3D and hologram imaging are the future .

I'm moving to a cave .

PS. No, I have only seen about an hour of it in pieces. I played D&D as a child and read Dragon Riders of Pern . I can wait for Avatar on DVD - it just looks like a big yawn to me. The Making Off DVD extras is more interesting to me than actually watching the film. When I get the DVD I can turn the sound off and just watch it. I don't think I need to hear it too. Why torture myself?

I thought Larry Fong did a beautiful job in Watchmen (2009). No nomination for Larry.

I'm currently editing a film that was shot with the Red camera and it looks beautiful.

I'm kind of surprised that Watchmen was shut out entirely. I thought maybe Special Effects or Cinematography would get a nomination.