Short Film Creation Resarch

Tools    

Hey guys, I am in the process of making a short film but I need your help. if you could please answer some simple question for me it would be a great contribution

I am planning on creating a short horror film so the questions will be based around that genre, please link your answers back to the genre if possible. thank you.

Questions

1. Do you think a short film can effectively execute a narrative in the space of 5-7 minutes?

2.Do you enjoy the Horror genre? why?

3. What sub genres of horror appeal to you the most? e.g. Demonic, Slasher, Paranormal, Psychopathic

4. What type of character do you associate with the horror genre?

Would be great if you could answer these many thanks, everything helps

I'm not a big enough horror fan for my answers to questions 2-4 to be helpful (and I'd just make the film you want to make rather than try to focus group what it should be, if that's indeed the goal). But I will definitely answer #1: yes, you can absolutely execute a decent narrative in 5-7 minutes. Totally. Every Pixar Short is evidence of this.

1. Do you think a short film can effectively execute a narrative in the space of 5-7 minutes?
Of course. there's been many short films have succeeded.

More of a Sci-Fi fan myself but I enjoy horrors.

3. What sub genres of horror appeal to you the most? e.g. Demonic, Slasher, Paranormal, Psychopathic
Paranormal and Slasher. Slashers tend to have more tongue in cheek fun than Paranormal films.

Definitely the lead that is under threat. Especially if they're a bit of an underdog or have weaknesses. Sidney Prescott is a prime example.

A system of cells interlinked
Questions

Absolutely.

I do. If a horror flick is well done, it can be really engaging and quite visceral, which is something I enjoy getting out of film.

I enjoy horrors with well-done subtext, so any genre fits the bill as long as it's made well. The Descent is a great example of a horror that is just dripping with subtext and hidden meaning, and I like stuff like that. If I had to choose a category from above though, it would be Psychological.

This is kind of vague, so not exactly sure what you mean here. Do you mean what kind of characters do I personally associate with in horror films, or do you mean what character types do I expect to see in the horror genre?

Some horrors use a pretty standard template with the jock, stoner, slut, virgin, brain template, like so many tween horror films lately. Then there are the films that play with that convention and subvert it (Cabin in the Woods). My favorite is of course, the Final Girl.

In the Beginning...

Absolutely. I participate in the every year 48 Hour Film Project and the vast majority of films created for that competition is in the 5-7 minute range. The best ones are successful because they use time-tested elements of great storytelling, like three-act structure, character, conflict, resolution. These kinds of things are very important.

I do, although I'm not an enthusiast and there are some subgenres I won't watch at all. I don't usually seek out horror films unless there's some compelling reason (like Prometheus being related to the Alien franchise, or 28 Days Later being the product of a director I like).

Although I can tolerate it in certain films, I'm not into gore at all. So slashers really don't do anything for me (and they're usually a bit too simplistic for my tastes). I lean more toward paranormal films, I guess (Signs, The Others, The Shining), because I have a special interest in those kinds of plot topics.

I'm a bit confused like Sedai, but I tend to like horror films with a single lead character that experiences an entire film's worth of trials and comes out at the end forever changed. I'm not really into an ensemble of characters slowly getting killed off, except maybe stuff like Alien and The Thing.

Finished here. It's been fun.
1.Yes. If it's done correctly and is straight to the point.
2.I do enjoy the horror genre. Mostly the good ones the genre has to offer. Notably The Thing,The Shining,Alien,Halloween, and American werewolf in london.
3.I like all subgenres, it depends on the film and it's execution though. My favorite would probably be supernatural. But it really does depend on the film.
4.Horror icons like Freddy,Michael Myers, and Pinhead,etc. If you mean protagonists in horror films then Ripley from Alien always springs to mind.

Yes, just don't try and fit too much in, make it simple, but effective.

2. Do you enjoy the Horror genre? Why?

Yes I do. I think the reason I like it is because with a 'good/great' horror film, you appreciate the effort that is behind it. There is a lot of trash in the genre, but when it's done correctly, the results can be great. Some of my favourite films are those that focus on atmosphere and suspense, often generated as a result of visuals and sound, which are not necessarily costly, but when done right can be extremely effective.

3. What sub genres of horror appeal to you the most?

Perhaps psychological, ones that focus on mystery and atmosphere, I'm talking: The Shining, Eraserhead, Rosemary's Baby, Psycho and The Thing. I do like some slashers, I am a big fan of Scream and am interested in watching more Giallo after enjoying Suspiria.

I like more the mysterious character that you suspect to be evil/dangerous, but you are waiting for the reveal, you are never entirely sure, and this is generated by suspense. Like Anthony Perkins in Psycho, Ruth Gordon in Rosemary's Baby, and the whole crew in The Thing.

But normally when you thing horror you thing crazy person with some type of weapon/machinery, like Scream, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining etc.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
1. I've seen people effectively execute a narrative in the space of 6 seconds on vine, so I would hope so. This seems like a silly question, watch some montage films.

2. No, no I don't, but I don't think I'd answer yes to this for any genre. Working within genres is typically superficial and commercial endeavor, though not necessarily. But when I think about the best genre films I have seen recently (Bong's Mother, Wheatley's Kill List) what makes them good films is the self-awareness of genre and ability to reorient and subvert the genre.

3. While I'm very hesitant to suggest anything here, I think psychological horror is the only kind that's ever impacted me (outside of Eraserhead, which is more body horror in my opinion, Daniel). In this category, however, I'd say the best examples of this in recent years is Haneke's Amour or Cache, both of which are great and extraordinarily effective horror films, they lack the aesthetics though (mostly, I think the former does maintain some).

4. Because people don't tend to make horror movies about things that actually scare people in real life on a day-to-day basis, it seems to me that concept characters are frequent since they motivate plot most readily and get you to the scare faster.

Sorry this sounds so cynical, I'm putting off studying for an exam that's hovering above it all.