The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Always console. My creaky old laptop would struggle with Pong never mind the latest stuff.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check those sites out.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Golg, GOG have announced a raft of new Mac-enabled titles.

Link

Torchlight is good fun. Cannon Fodder was too, back in the (MegaDrive) day but I've got Stronghold and it's pretty dated now.
Get thee behind me! I'm already syphoning too much of my fleeting freetime into gaming! (As contested by the fortress I've just built in MC's blocky pixel afterlife )

I'm almost tempted by the Noir point n click - mainly coz UF's just reminded me of LA Noire's latter-day 'HD' take on that genre (Me n the missus still have vague plans to finish it one winter day, but seeing as I end up doing all the 'click everything' fact ferreting not sure it'll happen )

The People's Republic of Clogher
Always console. My creaky old laptop would struggle with Pong never mind the latest stuff.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check those sites out.
http://savygamer.co.uk/ is brilliant - It's run by a guy who freelances for gaming websites and has all sorts of daily deals. Physical media (and downloads sometimes) for the consoles and digital downloads for PC.

golg - I'll definitely revisit LA Noire some day but the PC version is damned buggy. I re-installed it just to see how my new GPU coped and found the game not wanting to run in the resolution I wanted. I had go into options, change something (anything) then change back: The game would then run perfectly but I had to do it every time I booted it up. It used to pull the same trick with my old card but instead of mucking up the resolution it would drop the framerate to single figures until I changed settings and reverted them in the Options menu.

EDIT - You're talking about Gemini Rue.

I'm kinda over modern games with deliberately pixelated graphics. I mean, you could probably run the original Broken Sword on a digital watch these days and it'd still look tons better than Anodyne etc.

UF's comment about the randomness of interrogations is pretty valid and I suspect it's more to do with who they could afford to star in the mo-cap rather than any limitations of technology. That said, I still really liked it.

Just passed 1,000 Spy Party games yesterday. And I've started streaming ("WarningTrack" on Twitch). Last couple of videos I had my mic working and I'm talking about what I'm doing a bit as I play, if anyone's still curious about the game:

http://www.twitch.tv/warningtrack/vi...ast_broadcasts

Still waiting on the open beta; developer's doing loadtesting beforehand, though. Still crazily excited about getting some updated art in there, but if it never changed at all from here I'd still think it was one of the better games I've played.

The Columbo fan in me wants to love L.A. Noire, but I consistently find the interrogation segments infuriatingly obscure. I played through the same case four times only to be told on each occasion that I'm getting one out of three questions correct, or two out of seven questions correct. I scour the crime scene, and click on anything resembling a clue when searching relevant locales, but still no cigar at interview. Add to that the mixed signals suspects give (fidgeting/looking shifty when innocent, holding your gaze when guilty), and the conveyor belt linear narrative which propels you to a conclusion regardless. There's a great game hiding somewhere in there, but I've not been able to find it thus far. Also have to say I'm not a huge fan of Rockstar Games in general. Find them a little too hip and posturing without decent play mechanics to back up all the slick pop culture references. So much of L.A. Noire is just a shallow version of GTA shoehorned into a Raymond Chandler style RPG.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
video gamen isnt really my thing, but the kids been raving about Marvel Heroes.

Marvel Heroes is a FREE-TO-PLAY action-packed massively multiplayer online game created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and Diablo 2. Set in the iconic Marvel Universe, Marvel Heroes combines the core game-play style of Action RPGs and MMOs with the expansive library of heroes from the Marvel Universe. In the game, players can collect and play as their favorite Marvel Superheroes (including Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider Man, Captain America and many others). Team up with friends and try to stop Doctor Doom from devastating the world with the power of the Cosmic Cube in a story written by Marvel comic super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis.

Features
Play for FREE

Experience the entire game without paying any money. If you choose, you can shop in the in-game store for even more heroes and items.
Battle as Marvel Super Heroes

Play as Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Hulk, Spider Man, Captain America and many other famous heroes.
Customize Your Hero

Make your Hero unique with a range of spectacular powers and costumes. Discover enhancements to increase your hero's power.
Explore the Marvel Universe

Visit famous locations from the Marvel Universe, from Avengers Tower to Mutant Town to the Savage Land.
Fight Incredible Enemies

Smash through hordes of Marvel enemies and face off against iconic super villains.
Team Up With Friends

Join with your friends as you fight your way through the game.

https://marvelheroes.com/

Any of you nerds play?

It's a modern point & click type of Adventure game. The map might as well have been a series of menus for all the good it did. I'd say if they attempted the same game (unlikely, seeing as there's so much strife at the developer) in 5 years time it'd turn out differently.

EDIT - Response to UF's post.

Possibly overkill, but I'm hoping I'll survive this bit of the nether now in MC...

The Adventure Starts Here!
Golgot, last time I checked, on Peaceful you don't need to worry about food at all. And you only have to worry about health if you run into lava or fall too far off a cliff or drown... or yes, accidentally punch a wolf when his buddies are around.

That's enough danger for me in one game. LOL

So, what are those little "shirt" icons over the hearts? And, what is this enchantment stuff?? Wow, see, I was really hoping NOT to start a new MC world this weekend. I really was.... (sigh)

Armour would just help with engraged wolves at first. You can craft it with leather, iron or diamond. Or gold for the showy (and not very protective) look

Enchantments add bonus abilities or just toughen em up, depending on how much experience you use. I know you can get one effect that reduces fall damage (but the system is fairly random - you never know which one you'll get). No idea if any of this actually exists in peaceful mind.

I'm still in the nether, being a total chicken and building fortifications everywhere I go

Can't say I blame you for building the fortifications. I have followed two of my kids (Yoda's brother and sister) into the nether more than once (over a server my son had on his computer), and they had a good laugh at my expense as I kept hiding behind anything I could find when the ghasts kept coming after us.

Who knew a pixelated place could be so creepy? LOL

As for lag ... at least in the version of the game from a month or so ago, I got serious lag whenever it rained in the game. Very annoying. That is one element I wish you could turn off. (That, and night, since I play on peaceful anyway.)

I dunno if it's just coz my spawn was on a very fragile overhang but ghasts were giving me loads of problems at first. At least being on fire is only temporary :S (I do like the whole destructibility aspect of the environment in there - you can see the carnage their assaults have caused. Plus being able to bat their fireballs back at them if you time it right is a fun option of last resport)

Yeah rain used to lag me massively, but seems better now. I imagine you use beds to skip the night when it encroaches? It is a pain when you're trying to build tho, true.

Sometimes I use beds. Other times, if I'm okay with the lighting or I'm going underground anyway, I just press on. That rain, though. Pleh.

Okay, I'm going to have to start a new world right now, just to see what's what. (Or will new things show up in old worlds? That's never been the case before -- if you wanted to see new features, you had to start a new world.)

But at least it's a dreary rainy weekend day here -- perfect for putzing around with games!

Heh, at least the rain outside doesn't slow down time eh? (Alright, well, it kinda does. I've lost hours to this pesky game by being tucked up indoors )

New updates will show up in old worlds, I think, but certain things will only appear in new chunks. IE exp and all that should be everywhere - but to have a new type of structure/biome appear, or mobs that go with it, you'd need to explore a fresh area and hope the new features spawn.

Oh duh, yes, new chunks. I knew that... but since I really hate venturing out for hours and hours to GET to new chunks in old worlds, I'd trained my brain to think that it just doesn't happen.

So, in the new world I created yesterday (thanks to YOU, Golgot!), within about ten minutes I'd found a dungeon with cool stuff in it, including my first enchanted book (Bane of Arthopods, whatever that means -- wiki isn't clear). THEN I stumbled on a desert temple and THIS time I knew to dig down to the SIDE instead of accidentally jumping on the pressure plate and blowing myself up like I did the first time I found one. (Note: Yes, that's another way to die in Peaceful that I had forgotten.)

So this time I had the wiki open on the second monitor and carefully dug down behind the four chests ... which the wiki said would contain the BEST loot in the game ... only to find a bunch of gold ingots, two diamonds, and some rotten flesh.

SERIOUSLY?

After that it all went downhill. I filled up my inventory with a bunch of great stuff and was still looking for an NPC village to settle in HOURS later. I had decided not to stop and dig for redstone to make a compass, so I was meandering around aimlessly. (I tend to leave Hansel-and-Gretel torches on high spots along the way, to mark my way around until I get a compass... and I kept running into my own torches just when I was SURE I was in new territory.

I tried keeping the ocean to my right, but apparently something changed.

So I finally gave up, left myself in the middle of a desert biome with all my stuff and had dinner like a normal person.

But boy, I want to go find a village right now. LOL

...(thanks to YOU, Golgot!)...
Whoops, sorry

The Bane of Arthopods won't help you much - it's for weapons and hurts spiders & silverfish and such. I imagine you could probably make a more gem-worthy weapon for sale if you ever find a village tho.

I had a look at the available enchantments and the durability/increased-yield ones for tools, & fire/drop-protection for armour, would prob help out.

The two diamonds should be useful if you wanna make an enchantment table - you'll need some obsidian too but you can just chuck water over some surface lava for that.

If you wanted a novel way to dig for redstone you could always go back to the
temple (if you can find it ) and dig under the pressure plate - you'll find like 9 blocks of TNT. You can punch em out (logical right) and then use them to mine down. Or at least, I've never tried it, but it should work. In the old days when you set off TNT it would react to gravity and drop - so if you dig a starter hole, set off one TNT with a lever, and then run... it should drop down and make a bigger hole. Rinse and repeat. (And if it doesn't work quite right, you'll just have found another way to die on peaceful )

Armour would just help with engraged wolves at first.
If I was a member of the wolf community I'd feel that video games have given us a bum steer over the years, especially rpgs. What's the first enemy you encounter in yer typical Fantasy setting? Yep, the poor old wolf.

I can't get as worked up on behalf of the skeleton community though - And they always seem to be 'next most powerful'. Skeletons always seem to carry gold.

Where do they put it?

In other, gaming PC, news: The old sound card I thought I'd get a few quid for on eBay? £43. And the guy's just sent me an extra fiver for next day delivery.

One man's meat is another man's rare (I found that out, heh) bit of tech.

If I was a member of the wolf community I'd feel that video games have given us a bum steer over the years, especially rpgs. What's the first enemy you encounter in yer typical Fantasy setting? Yep, the poor old wolf.

I can't get as worked up on behalf of the skeleton community though - And they always seem to be 'next most powerful'. Skeletons always seem to carry gold.

Where do they put it?
Then there's zombies, followed by overly-aggressive plants. These guys all need to unionise or something, they're getting stereotyped. They need a guild