Russian Movies

Tools    

Originally Posted by Golgot

How was Koktebel Ophi? Been meaning to get round to seeing it.
This film is at times just visually stunning...for this reason alone I would urge anyone to watch it...the story is simple, but effective enough to keep you interested. I remember reading elsewhere how people found it to be quite dreary and boring, but I found it rather beautiful and somewhat inspiring. It's issues at times are harsh, the realities of life I guess, but it has undertones of humour to stop it from becoming so bleak. I think its one of those films with those precious little moments that play on your mind again and again.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ahh cool, very much what i was hoping it would be. Sounds like a good antidote to my room-without-a-view tube journey . Thanking you

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I just finished watching Come and See.

It was like Ivan's Childhood , only much more disturbing and graphic.

I really want to see Dersu Uzala. It was on the other day late at night so I taped it on timer but my brother switched it off so he could watch t.v. Hopefully it will be on again .

Well, Night Watch came & went in US theaters. American studio ruined chances of yet another foreign film to be seen:
waited too long to release it, didn't properly advertise it, and showed it in too limited number of theaters.
But I guess American viewers are just not too interested in what is going on in the rest of the world.
Even though majority came from Europe in not too distant past (1-4 generations removed).
So did most Hollywood actors, and a few have Russian roots, like Michael Douglas & Harrison Ford.
I found 45 American actors & actresses who's parents or grandparents came from Russia or Soviet Union:
http://www.geocities.com/rusatg/actors.htm#american
Please let me know if you know of any other actors of Russian descent.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by pgmatg
Well, Night Watch came & went in US theaters. American studio ruined chances of yet another foreign film to be seen:
waited too long to release it, didn't properly advertise it, and showed it in too limited number of theaters.
But I guess American viewers are just not too interested in what is going on in the rest of the world.
Even though majority came from Europe in not too distant past (1-4 generations removed).
So did most Hollywood actors, and a few have Russian roots, like Michael Douglas & Harrison Ford.
I found 45 American actors & actresses who's parents or grandparents came from Russia or Soviet Union:
http://www.geocities.com/rusatg/actors.htm#american
Please let me know if you know of any other actors of Russian descent.
No, you are just wrong. That's all. Plenty of people in America are interested in what's going on in the rest oif the world. What we aren't interestied in are comments from idiots who make blanket statements about entire bodies of people. Maybe Night Watch didn't get the attention it deserved because it's simply a mediocre film, the reviews seem to support this. Meanwhile, many of us have seen The Return, Solaris, Stalker, and other wonderful russian films of high quality. Comments like the ones you made show a true lack of understanding of the many different peoples of the world. If you have a problem with how the film was marketed, that's fine, but lay off the lame comments about people you can't possibly know.

So tell me, how does a vampire film like Night's Watch represent what is going on in the rest of the world?

Bye!

How nice of you Sedai to call me names
First of all, "Night Watch" is not a vampire movie, its a dark fantasy loosely based on ancient Slavic mythology. And it's a good genre film, that shows very interesting mix of Western & Russian cinema. As to critics, most of them wouldn't know a good film even if it is obvious to most, it did great in Europe.
I'm glad that you have seen some Russian movies (even though you listed the great, but usual suspects). Unfortunately, I know for a fact that most American moviegoers have never seen a single Russian film. And I've lived here long enough to experience great European films fail miserably at US box-office, even when it was well advertised. So did I generalize? Of cause, but there are not enough exceptions to disprove my point, that a lot of Americans are very closed off from the rest of the world.

First of all, "Night Watch" is not a vampire movie, its a dark fantasy loosely based on ancient Slavic mythology. And it's a good genre film, that shows very interesting mix of Western & Russian cinema. As to critics, most of them wouldn't know a good film even if it is obvious to most, it did great in Europe.
I'm glad that you have seen some Russian movies (even though you listed the great, but usual suspects). Unfortunately, I know for a fact that most American moviegoers have never seen a single Russian film. And I've lived here long enough to experience great European films fail miserably at US box-office, even when it was well advertised. So did I generalize? Of cause, but there are not enough exceptions to disprove my point, that a lot of Americans are very closed off from the rest of the world.
That's misleading, to say the least. As Sedai pointed out, the film received poor reviews here, which shows that the difference is in taste, rather than some vague tendency of American moviegoers to shun anything foreign out of hand. That may or may not be the cause, but Night Watch isn't an example of what you're saying.

There's a difference between being "closed off" from the rest of the world and simply not being interested in their movies.

Ah yes, the "dark fantasy loosely based on ancient Slavic mythology" genre, one of the best.

My experience of Russian cinema is limited to say the least, although I have seen Night Watch and I'd label it a vampire movie, a poor one at that.

I'd be intrigued to know how you know for a "fact" that most American movie-goers have never seen a Russian film? I wouldn't be surprised if you're right, but I suspect it's mere speculation, unless you can produce some representative poll to convince me?

However, the population of this forum hardly represent the typical movie-goer, it's a land of people suffering various degrees of film fanaticism and I'd bet that the majority of posters around here have some (perhaps limited) experience of Russian cinema. Attacking the film-crazy with your ideas of what the film-indifferent do or don't do is frankly ridiculous, I doubt a Nobel Prize winner cares that the majority know nothing about physics, much as the film obsessed care nothing of what the rest of the population knows or doesn't know about film.

And people can't help but listen to the critics; when a film sucks, as was the case with Night Watch and the critics say so, you can't be surprised that the majority won't go and see it. It's not because of some personal grudge against Russia, it's because it's a bad film (purely opinion of course - on a site such as this everything anyone says is opinion but I suspect if I don't clarify that you'll throw it back at me).

I apologize for the low blow, as it was uncalled for. I have the flu and seem to be in a piss poor mood today. Regardless, that is no excuse, and I hope you accept my apology. I expect some (deserved) negative rep for my comment. Get to it MoFos!

Please remember that every country has it's share of "unenlightened", for lack of a better term, filmgoers. I would presume every country has it's share of grumpy people with the flu who post on forums before they have their coffee, as well.

That said, I wish to welcome Alexy and Alvin to the forums. Welcome!

I am sorry that the discussion has turned into this rather weird dialog, but when did I attack film buffs?
And if you guys think that reviews is what brings average person to the theater, you are mistaken. It's is unfortunate but there is data on the fact that at least a half of people go to see a movie based on some sort of a commercial. As for reviews, the professional ones that I respect gave "Night Watch" around B, so did the people who saw it, at least from what I remember seeing on Yahoo.
And the only proof I have, that most Americans don't know much about world cinema, is only my personal experience. But here's some anecdotal evidence: I've asked around on the internet if people in USA saw Civil Counselor, one of the bigger Russian films of last year, and most who enjoy Russian cinema, haven't even heard of it.

I am sorry that the discussion has turned into this rather weird dialog, but when did I attack film buffs?
And if you guys think that reviews is what brings average person to the theater, you are mistaken. It's is unfortunate but there is data on the fact that at least a half of people go to see a movie based on some sort of a commercial. As for reviews, the professional ones that I respect gave "Night Watch" around B, so did the people who saw it, at least from what I remember seeing on Yahoo.
And the only proof I have, that most Americans don't know much about world cinema, is only my personal experience. But here's some anecdotal evidence: I've asked around on the internet if people in USA saw Civil Counselor, one of the bigger Russian films of last year, and most who enjoy Russian cinema, haven't even heard of it.
Straw man argument. Also, targeting a single example, and then attempting to apply it's outcome to the entire psyche of a collective of people makes little sense. What are the other variables? How would someone like myself find out about the film. Did it have a large marketing base in the US? Even if it did, I actually don't watch any commercials if I can help it. I watch little television, watching the few shows I do keep up with on DVD. I get most of my film recommendations through word of mouth around my city (Boston, MA), here on MoFo (clearly not a "US only" site), and from reading data-mined reviews on RT. I have a big interest in films from every country in the world, and will give anything a chance, yet my exposure to them is somewhat limited, seeing as how they don;t get massive exposure here. This has nothing to do with people's interest, it is simply marketing. Make sense?

That said, I see why your personal experience with Americans might have led you to believe we aren't interested in Russian film. But try to understand it could be that lack of exposure, or lack of taste as Yoda stated, could be to blame just as much as lack of interest.

i have to agree with alexey here and say that most americans have a problem with foreign cinema. this fact i extracted out of my ass but i still say it's true, based on your ( and no, by your i don't mean the members of this site ) aversion to subtitles and general perception of foreign cinema as "dull" or sub par quality to american cinema ( which, at least in recent years has not been true ). and by cinema, i don't mean art cinema, but blockbusters and other films for the wider public...( art cinema has always had a specific and very loyal public )

as far as night watch, it got very good reviews in croatia, but was showing only in the capital...i would have gone to see it if it was showing in my town...but then again, i don't differentiate between american and any other cinematography, a good film is a good film ( possibly connected to my long term exposure to subtitles which i have accepted as the most normal thing and don't even think about them anymore )

neg rep away!!yepee-ka-aye!!!( just so it rhymes )

I have seen a number of foreign films in the past and would like to see more. RUSSIAN FILMS, I would like to see more of these too.

I'm not qualified to say anything about why more foreign films don't show up at my theaters. I see it as a personal problem. I want to see these kinds of films I need to seek them out in or at whatever distribution channel I can find. What would be best? E-bay, NetFlix, Hollywood Video, special on-line store? My local Hollywood Video is having a DVD sale 5 for $15.00 and I have a RUSSAN animation scoped out among others.

I like both versions of "SOLARIS." I've read a fair amount of criticism of "SOLARIS" on this site, but I've read a number of Lems books "MICROWORLDS" in particular and have enough insight from them to personally enjoy the movies. I keep playing my copy of "IKARIE XB 1" every couple of months. I enjoy that movie quite alot, for some reason. My copy is a U.S. rerelease and isn't very good. Would like to find an original print and have it re-subtitled.

Stalker - that is great movie, I'd like that!

I think the problem lies in marketing and distribution as far as foreign films are concerned in the USA.
When Blockbuster had all those stores, their foreign section was usually very poor.
Netflix is a bit better but could use a lot of improvement.
If one was just to look at foreign movies that get nominated for Oscar and the time it takes to get them out in the US ( some of which never even make it ) then that would give a clear indication of how much demand there is for them.
It took Quentin Tarantino to use his personal interest and influence for us to start seeing more Asian movies without having to go to Asia.
There are some great Russian movies out there but very scarse here.
Here are some I recommend:

Burnt By The Sun
The Thief
Brother
Dead Man's Bluff
Schizo

I'm still waiting to see Exodus: Burnt By The Sun 2

Operation Y is like a legendary russian comedy.My parents and grandparents lived in USSR and that movie was shown soo often and so many people loved it that many of them know this movie by heart(my family included).There are some other legendary russian comedies but I'm not sure about their english titles now.

For crime movies,most popular are Brother I and II (the main actor died in 2002 () and Bumer.Also if you like organized crime or mob stories,there is a very interesting tv show "Brigada" (Brigade).There are about 15 episodes,it's definitely worth seeing.

for dramas,I've seen Lilja 4ever and Malenkaya Vera and they looked very realistic to me.Family relationships,music,lifestyle,dialogues - very accurate,even nowadays such things happen.If you want to know more about the soviet lifestyle,values and young people,you should watch them.

As for the famous Tarkovsky - I liked Stalker but I didn't like the Mirror,it was too confusing.I'm planning to see Solaris one day (lithuanian actor is in the lead) and Ivan's Childhood looks interesting.

For war movies,many people love "9 rota"(not sure about english title).Well,it's quite sad but also a bit mainstream.Another popular war movie is "Svolochi" ("Bastards"?) but I absolutely disliked it,not sure why because I haven't seen it in ages. I would also recommend "Idi I Smotri" (Come and See).Didn't like it a lot (I needed more character drama) but it's quite disturbing.

Also there is a great Russian movie about the Siege Of Leningrad,very disturbing and shocking but I can't find it,I don't remember the exact title. :/

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Soviet/Russian filmography is one of the best in the world!

The best directors:
Tarkowski
Łopuszański
Eisenstein
Paradżanow
Szepitko
Klimow
Bondarczuk
Kałatozow
Czuchraj
Bałabanow
Ross
Petrow
Zwiagincew

I saw The Return, and i want to add a movie from same director (Zvyagintsev) The Banishment-Izgnanie.
ps: (if someone watch) Once Upon a Time in Anatolia and The Banishment are very similar... but i don't think anyone watch it.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Heinlein