Movie Tab II

Tools    

Haven't posted here in a while. Recently I saw

Devil(2010)-even though Shaymalan is just a writer and a producer it has his element trough the whole film for which I still admire him a lot(he should come back to the genre and not fool around with Last Airbender(which I had to watch 5 times today at work-wanna puke))anyways for a film set in a elevator its actually quite good I'll give it that

Funny Games U.S. (2008)-I heard the German version or Swedish (I am not sure where is the original from) is shot to shot so why not watch it in English with familiar faces. Wow I mean wow what a freakin' twist script is brilliant a bit confusing but still I dont know how that guy pulled it off but I was expecting the usual family is taken hostage bla bla bla torture bla bla bla someone escapes kills kidnappers-The End but that one I most certainly didn't expect.

Severance(2006)-Ok so I had some valium and it wasnt kicking in so I couldnt go to sleep and was checking the BBC iPlayer and Severance was on. I must admit I hate Danny Dyer that guy is terrible he makes movies every 2 weeks that come out straight to DVD and are terrible,but I'll give him that when he plays a fool its ok with me Human Traffic awesome performance, Doghouse dont remember it much but if I saw it was worth it...now I remember it was crap but again he was an idiot in it so it's ok.So enough about Danny Dyer(that guys should be grateful I mentioned him in 4 lines) the film is sadisticaly funny one of those horror comedies well done(blood and gore wise ofcourse) its by the guy who made creep and creep freaked me out I even had nightmares back in the day. Quite cheap as if it was done in my country .Still if you are a fan of the genre and like dark humor it's worth spending 90 minutes

...Last Airbender(which I had to watch 5 times today at work-wanna puke)
You have my sympathies. Genuinely. I think I'd start to self harm if I had to watch that trailer 5 times, let alone the whole film.

Funny Games U.S. (2008)-I heard the German version or Swedish (I am not sure where is the original from) is shot to shot so why not watch it in English with familiar faces.
For that very reason. Surely this is going to have more impact if you don't recognise anyone?

Severance... Quite cheap as if it was done in my country .
Do you mean England? Cos this is an English film. Filmed in Hungry, if I remember correctly. If not, then somewhere in eastern Europe.

Watched Backdraft
I had forgotten what a tear jerker it is

Do you mean England? Cos this is an English film. Filmed in Hungry, if I remember correctly. If not, then somewhere in eastern Europe.
I'm Bulgarian but I live in UK for the moment(University) and yes it's an Eastern European country

Black Swan Aronofsky

*The image above is from my favorite scene of the whole film.

An emotionally incestuous mother and an obsessive love for ballet and perfection seem to force a barrier upon Nina (Portman) emotionally, sexually, and most obviously mentally. Most of the film is metaphorically thick with instances of Swan Lake bleeding through her work and real life. Despite that, we see an unforgettable transition from Natalie Portman's character. From the White Swan to the Black Swan on stage and a surreal transcendence of the same characteristics into her own life. The third act, the production performance, shows this transition in only a way Aronofsky could've envisioned.

Black Swan is slow thriller but I never lost focus. The film was very gripping and haunting throughout. The final performance is absolutely beautiful and blew away any expectations I had conceived from the slow build up. There are so many other elements to this film that are great. Nina's virgin like innocence. Her relationship with her mother, played wonderfully by Barbara Hershey. Nina's struggles with the literal and metaphorical "Black Swan" and instructor/role model played by Vincent Cassel. The elements of sexuality were brilliant. Also, one of the most haunting scenes I have ever seen thanks to Winona Ryder. Beautiful, tragic film.

In and Out
(sort of spoiler in the last paragraph)

Kevin Kline stars as Howard Drake, an English teacher who is 'outed' by a former pupil (Matt Dillon) during an Oscar speech (said to be based on Tom Hanks's speech for Philadelphia). Pretty inconvenient seeing as he's finally tying the knot with his fiancee Emily Montgomery (Joan Cusack), a fellow teacher. Even more inconvenient are the constant attentions of the press, all eager for an insight into Dillon's gay inspirational teacher (no, the movie isn't meant to be realistic).

Kevin Kline is brilliant as Howard, making the character charming and not ridiculously camp. There's a great dig at masculinity when Howard is listening to a casette instructing him on how to be a man. YouTube it, it's very clever and funny.

The trouble is, the film doesn't explore masculinity. It does a good job of exploring attitudes towards homosexuality in a non-preachy way (there's a hilarious clip of the film the former pupil won the Oscar for, as a gay soldier, that still stands up well today). Of course, nowadays there's gay comic figures everywhere so some might see the film as 'dated'. But this isn't meant to be groundbreaking stuff. It's lighthearted observationalism.

Although the advertising for the film isn't entirely 'straight' with the viewer. The choice to make Howard actually gay seems to suggest that all the stereotypes about gay people are in fact true. To be fair, the straight guys also don't mind Barbara Streisand, but seeing as too often 'being a real man' means being some macho misogynist, it would have been nice if the conclusion was that the stereotype of masculinity is ridiculous. Howard also seems to show no sexual desire for men either.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
The Presidio

Not the greatest action flick, but a lot of fun. The three leads are actually a great combination with Sean Connery, Meg Ryan, and Mark Harmon. While it's not the deepest material or award-winning performances, I found them very enjoyable to watch. The movie's got a nice balance of drama and action to it. The script isn't very memorable and the storyline could be one of Harmon's NCIS episodes (not necessarily a bad thing). I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't not recommend it.

48 Hours
+

Likable buddy movie with a pretty good script. Nolte and Murphy seem to add quite of a bit of personality to the characters. Eddie Murphy gives a fairly impressive film debut. I don't have much to say about this one. It is what it sounds like: 80s, action, pretty funny, goofy, and raunchy. Fun flick especially if it's your kind of flick.

Surviving Christmas

While it doesn't look promising, this movie was cracking me up. It was dang-near hysterical. Ben Affleck, while not at his best, is pretty fun. The script is one of the funniest I've seen from the last ten years. The cast gives a group of melancholy characters a lot of life and a comedic edge. The plot is quirky and a good time. Actually, it would be easy to dislike this movie, but it's even easier to like. If you're looking for something to lift your holiday spirit, definately give this one a fair try.

Lethal Weapon 3

The series windles thin here. The characters of Riggs and Murtaugh are still pretty fun to watch but it gets too predictable. The script still has a lot of good lines, made funnier by some of Gibson's and Glover's expressions. I think Rene Russo's character was an excellent addition. I rather enjoyed her character. Joe Pesci's character on the other hand I felt was sorely underused. The worst part was the pacing was off. It felt like it was three hours at least and dragged from the start.

Great batch of films this time around:

The End of St. Petersburg (1927, Vsevolod Pudovkin)

The Land of Sao Sarue (1971, Vladimir Carvalho)

A Grin Without a Cat (1977, Chris Marker)

Netsilik Eskimo Series (1967, Quentin Brown)

Shoah (1985, Claude Lanzmann)

Menilmontant (1926, Dimitri Kirsanoff)

The Third Part of the Night (1971, Andrzej Żuławski)

Le Revelateur (1968, Philippe Garrel)

Black TV (1968, Aldo Tambellini) not sure how to rate this...

Apollovision (1969, Ferdinand Kriwet) see above.

Seasons of the Year (1975, Artavazd Pelechian)

Aniki Bobo (1942, Manoel de Oliveira)

Twentieth Century (1934, Howard Hawks)

The Round-Up (1966, Miklos Jancso)

The Suspended Vocation (1978, Raoul Ruiz)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Harry Lime
Great batch of films this time around
One word reviews please

Cyrus

Finally, the Duplass brothers mature a bit and make a GREAT film. Loved everything about it. Jonah Hill and John C. Reilly avoid the slapstick comedy completely and nail their roles. This is expected out of Reilly as he has been fantastic in many great roles, but Jonah Hill really proved that he can give a great performance.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Completely predictable. Charlie Sheen's cameo really just cheapened the **** out of the first film.

Somewhere

You get to see how Dorff lives his life alone, then his daughter drops by for an extended period and Dorff is loving life, then she leaves and you see Dorff alone again this time with a void from his daughter not being there.

It was very sloooowwwww. There were some great individual scenes and it did try very hard to be similar to Lost in Translation, it didn't have the magic of LiT at all though. It was worth the watch, but overall very slow and quite pretentious. You know, the whole I'm-an-actor-but-all-these-special-perks-aren't-enough-to-make-my-sh*tty-life-better kinda way.

Quickly before I rap this up, Chris Pontius from Jackass fame actually did a pretty damn good job in this film. Also Elle Fanning was adorable.

Exit Through the Gift Shop

I don't really know what to make of it being a hoax or not, and I really don't care. Very well made documentary.

Batman Returns (1992) - 7/10
My opinion on this one hasn't changed much. The style is superb, and I think that it beats its predecessor by quite a margin. Catwoman's dialogue feels a little too forced though. Still one of the most entertaining Batman flicks.

Outland (1981) – 6/10
The ‘High Noon in space’ description on Netflix is apt. Though the futuristic aspect seems like an unnecessary backdrop, it does make the film much more interesting.

Sleep Dealer (2008) – 5/10
It has an interesting concept, but somewhat dull execution.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Movie Extravaganza: Part 1.

American Psycho

The best aspect of this film is most definitely Christian Bale's dynamic performance as Patrick Bateman, a Wall Street executive who kills people for no reason. Compared to the book, this is very tame, but still has some scenes that shock. Love the soundtrack.

The Expendables

When people get shot and people blow up, The Expendables deliver. Sylvester Stallone and his team of geriatrics take on a mission to assassinate an evil General and a rogue CIA operative. The cast does have some good dialogue and the action scenes are awesome (and extremely violent), but this has little else to recommend it.

Rounders

Card playing jargon galore and hardly any momentum, this somewhat boring saga of poker players and rounders is lifted to three stars for three reasons; 1) Four of my favourite actors are in this, 2) They all deliver first rate performances, 3) Edward Norton really excels as slimey yet likeable Lester "Worm" Murphy.

Grown Ups

Laughed my ass off in this. The cast is very likeable, the script has nice banter between the leads and the some of the scenes are downright hilarious. One of the better comedies of this year.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Wow, what a wonderful film. Johnny Depp is excellent in the role of Gilbert Grape, a small town grocery store clerk who must care for his mentally challenged brother Arnie (Leonardo DiCaprio, in an amazing performance) and his overweight mother (Darlene Cates, who is also good). A new girl in town changes Gilbert's life and his relationships with his family. WEGG is a fantastic film, with a dazzling cast and well written dialogue. Leonardo's best perfomance ever.

Outrage 2010

Kitano's weird streak comes to a close ? He said he wasn't going to ever make another gangster movie only about 5 years back, but I guess he ran out of ideas. Outrage is a fitting title, in that this return is disappointing to say the least. There are way too many players for a movie less than two hours, Kitano throws more and more people into the mix with no intention of tying them together. At it's core it's a goofy experiment, to someone who doesn't get Kitano it could come across as sincere. Scenario after scenario. Gangsters take "guy in trouble" to "some location" and do "something really violent", it plays out like a skit show. It's not a total disaster as I'm painting it though. A lot of the scenarios he comes up with are quite well done and there are some big laughs nearing the end.

Buried 2010

Ryan Reynolds is stuck in a casket buried underground. He can't Kill Bill his way out in this one because that would probably get him killed. Fortunately he has a cell phone and the whole movie his calling people trying to get out. I won't ruin too much, but he's a truck driver in Iraq and some crappy terrorist is behind it. It's good enough to keep you enthralled, while just watching some guy call people inside of a crappy box.

Napoleon Dynamite 2004

The fight scenes could be better.

Black Swan 2010

There are so many distractions that you won't know what this is really about until the finale. Aronofsky's style has all the subtlety of a hand grenade, but this is so spring loaded with amazing acting performances you have to accept it. Natalie Portman is a ballerina dancer, striding for perfection and super-stardom. It doesn't take long to say, this woman has completely lost it and the sacrifices she makes obviously aren't going to pay off. Whatever her psychological condition may be, she is surrounded by a league of jealous dancers and scheming ********.

The surreal and hallucinatory nature of Black Swan's world are the weakest thing going for it. Even though Aronofsky masterfully executes a handful of awesome scenes, he fills the rest of the movie with David Lynch's cheapest tricks. Vincent Cassel is awesome by the way.

Summer Wars 2010

This is a remake of the intro of The Digimon Movie, by none other than the director of The Digimon Movie. Go ahead I say, time to take a real swing at a good idea. If Summer Wars is a personal film, then director Mamoru Hosoda was created in a test tube inside of Disney's secret laboratory. The premise is that everything in the world relies on this social networking site called OZ, which gets infected by a jerkhole virus. Meanwhile a decently large family assembles for the birthday of their eldest, Grandma Something. All you really need to know is Digimon, but less convoluted and adults could get a kick out of it.

True Grit 2010

The critic's have arrived on the point that there is a missing layer of sophistication here, which is true. It's a simple as day western, but it's such a fine technical piece that it's one of the best movies of the year. True Grit follows all the rules, you get good actors, good cinematographer, fun characters, and with Coens in charge it's hard to mess it up.

All you really need to know is Digimon, but less convoluted and adults could get a kick out of it.
You're kidding right? Superflat, the film's commanding art style, is attempted in such a way as to satirize modern Japanese media---that is your Digimon; not glorify it. As much as I hate to ever lock down "the point", I've got to say that I'm pretty sure you're missing it when you simply dismiss the entire film as Digimon.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
All I can say about meaty's post is that all those movies are apparently better than the original The Manchurian Candidate. Then again, maybe he's just in a jolly holiday mood.

I recently saw The Tempest (Taymor, 2010) which I went into expecting it to be gaudy and cinematic but also found it very entertaining; for example Russel Brand is really funny as Trinculo. My admittedly simplistic reading of the play (based mostly on this and several viewings of Peter Greenaway's adaptation) is that it's focused on Prospero's obsessions and powers to the exclusion of most of the other characters, who become his pawns. I expect this view to be challenged but it's important to note that the difference between Prospero's white magic and the dark magic of his predecessor Sycorax is that at the end Prospero sets everyone free after seeing his daughter married to the prince of Naples. So ultimately his magic is benevolent and playful (literally putting on a play) wherein his performance of revenge gives way to a final act of forgiveness.

In Julie Taymor's version Prospero becomes Prospera (Helen Mirren). I'm not sure what purpose Taymor had in this alteration but it seems like it effects her political power. Rather than being the Duke of Milan Prospera is the former Duke's widow. On the other hand she's still a powerful sorceress and scholar who tames the spirits on her island, bends the tempest to her purposes through the service of Ariel, and uses a magical orrery to create illusions. Even if she doesn't literally write everything we see and speak everything we hear (as in Prospero's Books) she still seems to be as in control of her play as Taymor is.

I liked this cast a lot. Chris Cooper plays Prospera's scheming brother and David Strathairn is the king of Naples.

Another thing I liked about this movie is how it uses rich and ambiguous imagery to seemingly create a counter narrative to the one I just described. This version opens with a tiny sandcastle resting in the palm of Miranda's hand, already implying the creative potential of someone else in the play. That's a very powerful and visual introduction to this world. I'm starting to ramble so I'll just give the movie my rating and move on. If this goes into wide release I'll see it again.

Here's the rest of what I saw:

King Kong (Jackson, 2005)
(deserves its own post but I'm not up to it right now)
The Man With Two Brains (Reitman, 1983)
(a lot lower than the last time I saw it, I still thought a lot of it was pretty funny, particular these bits: Indian rubber vase, "into the mud, scum queen", "oh, just some scum queen", citizen's divorce, "that must have been some other guy with a brain in a jar", "pointy birds", "that's a statue of my wife" -- those parts almost feel like enough to raise this rating so maybe I was just in a bad mood when I saw it. On the other hand a lot of the self-aware movie-type jokes felt a little forced to me this time around. The "murmur" bit at Steve Martin's speech just felt like Mel Brooks at his most obvious.)
Holiday (Cukor, 1938)
(very theatrical and sentimental film in three acts which seemed to focus too much on sympathizing characters through speeches and wound up feeling cloying and artificial. If you really like classic Hollywood romances or Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant I could see raising this popcorn score by as much as a box and a half, but I still probably wouldn't go for an "average" rating because its storytelling felt bogged down in dialog without being all that interesting or cinematic.)
It Happened One Night (Capra, 1938)
(This one has beautiful cinematography, particularly in how all the important scenes take place at night and under moonlight. There's a strong sense of composition in many of the sets and locations as well, and unlike in the above movie the romance here didn't feel forced or overly sentimentalized to me. I may be underrating it slightly.)
The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (Scott, 2009)

My Blue Heaven (Ross, 1990)

Fearless (Weir, 1993)

Star Trek V The Final Frontier (Shatner, 1989)

A Night at the Roxbury (Fortenberry, 1998)

G.I. Joe (Sommers, 2009)
(Dumb plot and characters but I really enjoyed the special effects and action.)
The Big Sleep (Hawks, 1946)

A Streetcar Named Desire (Kazan, 1951)
(Amazing performance by Brando in this very dark adaptation of the Tennessee Williams play. This came out before the other Williams adaptations I have seen (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Suddenly, Last Summer) but feels much newer and fresher than either of them.)
In Old Chicago (King, 1937)
(eventually builds to a compelling spectacle in the burning of Chicago but otherwise it's a rather slow melodrama with several unappealing characters)
Serpico (Lumet, 1973)

Pokemon 2000
(could write a whole post on why I kind of like Pokemon, but it's probably not all that interesting.)
Zombieland (Fleischer, 2009)

Ball of Fire (Hawks, 1941)