Television Tab

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
Currently, The Middle and Modern Family are our favorites. Manny's probably our favorite character, but we love the cast in both shows.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm trying to get through the mound of DVDs I've bought recently and, towards the bottom, was the original BBC production of Edge of Darkness. It's as compelling as I remember it being as a teenager and can't see the remake being a patch on it.

Incidentally, I wonder if Mel Gibson kisses a ermm woman's toy in it? He's no Bob Peck, that's for sure.

Aaanyway, the extras on the disc include clips from award shows where Edge of Darkness swept to boards in 1986 including one from Pebble Mill on One.

Pebble Mill was something I remember from when I was off school so usually viewed it through a cold. Gloria Hunniford (who shared a child minder with my parents) was on it, I think. Or was it Nationwide?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Although nobody cares around here during all the "Lost" mania, but both "24" and "Law and Order" went out on classy notes tonight.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The finale, for me at least, was great, save for one little bit of information they decided to reveal that made me reflect on the past season is a lower light.

It ended up being all happy go lucky.

Suspect's Reviews

Kenny, don't paint your sister.

The second season of Taxi was great. Definately on par with Season 1 except some episodes got a little too sappy at points for me. Christopher's Lloyd's character is hysterical.

Semper Fooey
So, what happened at the end of Lost, anyway? Cop out? Total mind****? Or did they actually manage to cobble something decent together?
Opinions are all over the place. You have to judge for yourself. My opinion...nope.

I stopped watching after episode 8 or 9 of season 1. That's when I decided that I wasn't that interested and that it'd just end up a huge waste of time anyway. That's why I was interest to know what the fans thought of it. Obviously they were never going to please everyone, but I can't really find out what actually happened. It seems that it can't be wrapped up in a paragraph or two, so I won't worry about it.

Sorry to hear that it didn't please you, though.

I stopped watching after episode 8 or 9 of season 1. That's when I decided that I wasn't that interested and that it'd just end up a huge waste of time anyway. That's why I was interest to know what the fans thought of it. Obviously they were never going to please everyone, but I can't really find out what actually happened. It seems that it can't be wrapped up in a paragraph or two, so I won't worry about it.

Sorry to hear that it didn't please you, though.
you could always catch up on the first five seasons in 10 minutes with the Reduced Shakespeare Company!

I only caught sporadic episodes of The Thick of It when it was in its first series. I've remedied it over the last few days.

Having viewed it again after a rewatch of In The Loop it's interesting to see Malcolm Tucker's transition from small to big screen. He's more fallible and, dare I say it, rounded in The Thick of It. He's just not quite as funny...

Of course, it's a lot easier to build a rounded character in 6 half-hour episodes than it is in a 90 minute film intended to be viewed worldwide, ultimately by people with no conception of Iannucci's prior creation. Lets just say that Malcolm starts In The Loop already turned up to 11, in The Thick of It he's at 8.

Wonderful TV.

Watched the first four hours of The Wire today ... it's good.
Ahh, I remember the time when I was still so innocent and Wireless. After the first season, I thought: this is cool stuff, I like this. But then I saw the 2nd season and it was just so radically different from the first. I couldn't believe my eyes, was thinking this could not be the 2nd series of The Wire.

But I stuck with it, read some high-quality forum posts and reviews, interviews with David Simon and I went from thinking: Nice show => fabulous show => top 3 I've ever seen => best I've ever seen => best I will most likely ever see in my life.

I'm not eloquent enough right now to properly describe why I love this series so much seeing as it's late, but I'll just conclude this incoherent post by saying that you are at the beginning of the greatest piece of televised entertainment ever.

Btw, I strongly suggest you refrain from visiting any forums regarding The Wire as every post will most likely contain huge unannounced spoilers. It ruined some great twists for me, wouldn't want the same fate to befall you.

Enjoy watching it!

I never 'got' The Thick Of It. I saw it as an unfunny Yes, Minister/Prime Minister.

And, meat, keep watching, because it gets even better.
As someone who loves Yes Minister so much he's got all 5 series on DVD I'd put The Thick of It very much on a par. All that really separates them, for me, is the way that TV has changed in the quarter century between the two. The bits of Iannucci's show which I didn't think worked as well were the parts depicting The Opposition which turned up in the last couple of series.

It's all very well depicting all politicians as fatuous, bungling clowns (it's the truth, innit? ) but not to the extent of Father Ted's Craggy Island/Rugged Island. A relatively minor gripe, though.

A quick heads-up to BritFos with Freeview.

10pm tomorrow (Tuesday 8th), More4, True Stories: Albino United.

Basically it's a film by the master of modern Vérité, Nick Broomfield, and is about a group of albino guys in Tanzania who've formed a football team. If you're an albino in Tanzania you're a couple of steps up the ladder from being Jewish in Nazi Germany, apparently.