Movie Tab II

Tools    

Public Enemies (2009)

Historical inaccuracies aside, I liked this as long as I could get past Bale's accent... which, to me, sounded just like what it was... a non-southerner trying to imitate a southern accent...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Really don't care for Eastwood as a director, Unforgiven is awesome and Mystic River's fine - but the rest of his stuff is cheesy like this

Clint Eastwood and cheese do not belong in the same sentence unless you add a bottle of Chardonnay...

Letters from Iwo Jima? Definitely not cheezy.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I've only seen Clint's latest couple films, most of them which felt completely contrived and soul-less. Million Dollar Baby and Flags of our Fathers had so little personality poured to them, I can't even remember what they were about. Sometimes he picks a great actor and gets a great performance out of them (bunch of them in Mystic River), then there's times like Gran Torino - where he picks terrible actors and turns out something really fake.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
That's an interesting comment. I thought the acting in Mystic River was pretty lousy myself, especially by Penn, Robbins, Linney and Harden; way-over-the-top, so let's give them Oscars or at least a nomination.

In the Beginning...
That's an interesting comment. I thought the acting in Mystic River was pretty lousy myself, especially by Penn, Robbins, Linney and Harden; way-over-the-top, so let's give them Oscars or at least a nomination.
Yeah, I thought Robbins was tolerable, but the rest were definitely pushing it. But then again, much of what these characters experience - their friendships, Dave's ordeal, Sean's career, Jimmy's life of crime/relationship with his daughter - all go unseen. I hate when movies try to operate on a supposed "past" because there's almost always a disconnect, unless the film actually takes us back and shows us why these long-past memories and events are suddenly relevant today.

Otherwise it's just a character saying, "Things aren't like they used to be. You remember, don't ya?" And I'm going, "No. Hey, I wonder if Mythbusters is on."

Welcome to the human race...

Puberty Blues (Bruce Beresford, 1981) -

Puberty Blues tells the story of two teenage girls growing up in 1970s Australia, trying to fit in with the popular "surfie" crowd and enjoy your typical rebellious youth existence (and all the ups and downs thereof). This is a film that gets hailed as one of the best coming-of-age films to come out of Australia, yet when you get right down to it, it's not really anything special. I guess this begs the question as to what does make a film like this special - maybe the general lack of any other classic "Aussie teen" film, leaving this to fill the void. It goes for a sense of realism, which is sort of a double-edged sword when it comes to teen movies. On one hand, yeah, it's realistic about these kids and the ups and downs of their reality - on the other hand, so what? There are some interesting moments in the film, but overall it feels a little long for its 87 minutes and revolves around the generally monotonous day-to-day life of the characters in between the occasional "event".

Bound (Wachowski brothers, 1996) -

What initially comes across as a low-rent softcore thriller trading off the sensationalist lesbian relationship at the heart of the film actually turned out to be a decent suspense thriller. Bound trades off some well-worn staples of suspense thrillers and crafts a film that, while derivative, is helped by the Wachowskis' attention to detail and careful plotting, making ample use of suspense while almost never delivering the predictable payoff. The film's also helped by the performances - Joe Pantoliano is the stand-out as the paranoid mob accountant, although the film's small cast all deliver decent turns.

Kiss Me Deadly (Robert Aldrich, 1955) -

I tend to think of classic noir as a very dependable sub-genre of film. Virtually every film is the same as the last one, but they're invariably entertaining little romps that never disappoint when it comes to a good yarn. Kiss Me Deadly is no exception, and it manages to be an exceptionally dirty noir film. The central murder mystery is great, plus the characters are great if a little reprehensible, plus the B-movie style is pitch-perfect.

Four Flies on Gray Velvet 1972

Argento brings a lot of technical skill to this film and a decent script, but what the story calls for is top acting. This movie has terrible, stiff acting, and it's hard to watch and you'll guess the ending when these hilarious actors telegraph it 10 minutes in.

Amadeus 1984

... and now a reversal. No technical flair whatsoever, but the actors bring so much energy and fathomage that it's instantly an enjoyable film.

I'd knock another .5 off "Four Flies".
It's pretty rubbish and is for me his worst early film, that's down there with his later crappy films.
NOT a lost gem.

But wtf? No technical flair in "Amadeus"? The film is a technical marvel.
Everything from the costumes, sets, lighting, editing, cinematography, sound editing and direction.
Yes it's wonderfully acted, but it's also a wonderous technical achievement.
The extended 'Requiem"/death bed sequence is a perfect mix of artistry and technical skill.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
meat says a lot of random things that doesn't make sense. You just get use to it.

Suspect's Reviews

The film is a technical marvel.
I found it rather simple, the sound editing did stand out - but it didn't really look that great. All the colors are so dull and I can't agree at all with you on the lighting. Most of the scenes looked like they were shot in natural light.

there's a frog in my snake oil
All the colors are so dull and I can't agree at all with you on the lighting. Most of the scenes looked like they were shot in natural light.
That's because they almost entirely were, including naturalistic candle light alone (as first pioneeringly pursued by Kubrick for Barry Lyndon). Ach well, it's a bit before your time

there's a frog in my snake oil

A History of Violence

If it weren't for the opening scenes, revealing two demoralised but determined crims working their way through rural communities, you could be forgiven for thinking this was Cronenberg's Straight Story at first. There's a lot of coldly lit yet 'homely' time spent with Mortensen and family, but the agenda here seems to be to 'out' the violence contained in both the 'innocent' and the professionally deranged. The theme simmers away and stays with you, coloured by splashes of gore, and Mortensen shifts through shades of being with skill, but the whole experience left me somewhat cold, and even slightly bored. Was it because the 'banality of evil' was somewhat explored? Or because some of the scenarios are still fairly pat, with even amiable 69-sex feeling like an over-long attempt to hide the 'happy family' cliche being painted (even if it did serve to foreshadow a later scene).

Hurt's flamboyant turn as a hoodlum boss seemed bizarrely out of step with the pitch for realism: the previous picture of urbane isolation providing no safety from either internal or external aggression. It wasn't unwelcome, because the dowdy dailyness was kinda wearing, but seemed to undermine the patiently constructed tone none-the-less.

+

Star Trek (2009)

Not much to say that hasn't been said. Lotsa fun in there, if a bit slight. Not helped by being clearly an 'intro' entry and sporting a weak baddie (mainly providing the handy way to re-imagine the franchise). Thought Urban did surprisingly well as Bones, (altho Pegg didn't make a huge impression for me - perhaps because he got lumbered with some of the more 'child end' humour?). Some of the attempts to "do what the originals couldn't" seemed to fail to me - the woman with the CGI-bulged eyes during the pregnancy bits was just distracting for example. Liked some other Abrams touches, like the 'camera tap' low-key 'organic' shakiness, and the lense flares were all fine with me. Also the 'magic' touch of getting the actors to stand on a mirror to film the free-fall scenes (altho the rubber mind bugs 'on a string' hat tip was fairly weak). Still kudos for going 'earthy' over 'CGI-blue-skies' where possible.

+

The General (1926)

Despite having a ropey-seeming copy of this (very digitised & poor-seeming choice of music) it was still a pretty grand silent experience. I've seen some of the set-pieces before, which maybe took away some of the glamour, but loved the use of the trains in general - a perfect 'platform' fully exploited. Nothing on firm ground quite lived up to those 'chase sequences', although I liked the innovative-seeming 'burn hole' view of his 'second love' (the one who isn't a train), and the way weather was evoked.

The treatment of war was an intriguing side-note, with the opposition Unionists not demonised as such, and uber-patriotism on his own side getting some sideways blows (falling with the flag etc). Keaton gets to kill through misadventure as it were though, which has a strange flavour to it.

++

Well, The Gods have seen fit to strike me down with much, constant, will sapping, pain running all the way from my left shoulder to my little itty bitty fingers.
As such my regular viewing write-ups (indeed viewings) have been severely compromised.
But I shall delve briefly into some recent screenings;

"Niagra" -

Not as good as I remembered. Marilyn Monroe makes for a rather weak femme fatale as she's far more femme than fatale.
Not much happens until the last 3rd and all of it is obvious.
But the cast, Monroe as a welcome sight and a couple of good sequences keep things ticking along.

"A Star is Born" (1954) -
(add another
if you're a big musical fan)

Previously made in a non-musical version in 1937 with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March and then later on in 1976 with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, this middle version, with Judy Garland and James Mason, of the well known story (about a new star discovered by a fading, self-destructive, one) is perhaps the most famous and lasting and with just cause.

As a very minor musical fan (and then mostly comedy musicals like "The Blues Brothers" or "Cannibal the Musical" or ones with an interesting story hook first, where the music is kept as a stage act, like "Cabaret"), I admit to winding through most of the 2 big musical numbers in this so what may have been a big plus in the film left me cold. Though I recognise Garland's huge talent.
But the top support cast and great acting by the leads (coupled with the real, wonderful, surprisingly self-critical, Hollywood setting) and classic storyline kept me highly entertained and rather moved.

As the destructive, waning, acting star James Mason is on top form. He gives perhaps the definitive Mason performance and essays a fascinating character who can turn on the charm and show great love one moment before succumbing to the drink and becoming a self-loathing, selfish wreck of a man the next.

Garland shows just why she remained such a beloved performer for so long and her musical skill and star power shines here during the (for me often too long, but thankfully mostly realistic stage/film set based) musical numbers and even when drink, depression and much heartache had taken its toll (ironically Garland in real life, through the passing of time, actually became very close to Mason's character) and she was reduced to belting out show tunes in seedy, gangster run, London nightclubs...Garland kept that icon status and "A Star is Born" really shows you why, because as well as the musical sequences she handles some for the later, full on dramatic, scenes brilliantly as well and bounces of the brilliant Mason with aplomb.

Any movie fan should find much to love in this, a musical movie fan even more so.

"A Night in Casablanca" -

The last of the true Marx Brothers films sees them pretty much neutered from their original, anarchist, roots and instead we have them in a far more conventional 'underdogs who save the day' roles.
now, instead of blatantly causing absolute chaos (reaching the levels of actual war in "Duck Soup") they tend to right wrongs and set things straight!
Shame.

This trend had already started a few years before in what became their most successful films, "A Night at the Opera" and the far superior "A Day at the Races" (although even then this change was not so severe) but by now the weakening of their characters was also teamed with (unlike "Opera" and especially "Races") a lack of any real classic set-pieces and sketches.
Their is simply no memorable verbal greatness from Groucho and even the slapstick from Harpo and Chico is tame.
When mixed with their now muzzled characters, this lack of classic Marx humour is crippling.
Only an, actually very funny, late in the day 'packing the clothes' slapstick sequence, where the Brother's play havoc with the packing to leave plans of the lead baddie, drags the film out of the mire and it's very well crafted set-piece, and as such stands out in the sea of mediocrity that surrounds it.
Sadly the film as a whole stands alongside the equally weak and pointless "The Big Store" and "Go West" as the worst of The Marx Brother's proper films.

Stick with "Races", "Horse Feathers" and "Duck Soup" for some truly classic Marx Brothers greatness.

"The Last Picture Show" -

Peter Bogdanovich's seminal work was one of the first of the 70's 'maverick' Director movies to make a splash (after 67/69's "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Easy Rider" had led the way). And it holds up very well today.

The frank for the time (less so now, but it still has an edge) sexuality and expose of small town sexual mores and hidden scandals made the film a big, if controversial, hit and showed how Hollywood was growing up, changing, and attempting to drag the audiences back to the cinema and away from TV, not with flashy spectacle and gimmicks but with an explicitness (both in sex, nudity, language and violence) and adult orientated subjects and sensibility that TV just never offered.

The stunning ensemble cast and Bogdanovich's tight, assured, direction and editing ensure that even when not much, plot wise, is actually going on there is always something on-screen to keep us entertained, intrigued and moved.
It does seem rather slight today though, with much of what was new and radical at the time being far less so now. So it does work now on two levels; It works still as a finely crafted, superbly acted, small town drama, but it's also become a bit of a time piece and some of the cutting edge fascination has been turned into simple historical interest.

But the cast (with Cloris Leachman, Timothy Bottoms, Ben Johnson, a beautiful and young Cybill Shepherd - breasts and all- and Ellen Burstyn being the stand-outs) and Peter Bogdanovich's direction ensure that as an entertaining, often deeply moving, dramatic piece the film is still well worth a viewing in 2009.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (John Sturges, 1957)
+

Sturges fashions Leon Uris's script into a taut, thinking-man's western with an exciting payoff in the title incident. Lancaster plays Wyatt Earp as something of an athletic saint but Douglas plays Doc Holliday full of self-loathing and self-destruction. The film is divided into two halves, the first where Earp is the marshal of Dodge City and the second where he quits to go help his brothers in their feud with the Clantons and McLowerys in Tombstone. The theme song by Frankie Laine sets everything up wonderfully over the opening credits and Dimitri Tiomkin's great music is an asset throughout, accenting the various tense incidents which fill out the movie. The supporting cast includes Rhonda Fleming as a lady gambler whom Earp romances and Jo Van Fleet as Doc's woman who runs off with Johnny Ringo (John Ireland) when Doc gets too ill from drink and TB. Other interesting casting choices include Dennis Hopper as Billy Clanton as well as DeForest Kelley (Bones on the original "Star Trek") and Martin Milner ("Adam-12") as two of Wyatt's brothers. Lyle Bettger, Ted de Corsia, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Elam, Frank Faylen and Earl Holliman round out the cast in my vote for the best O.K. Corral flick ever.

Diary of a Lost Girl (G.W. Pabst, 1929)

I find this far superior to Louise Brooks' more-famous film by Pabst, Pandora's Box. That didn't really have the guts to show all the sex and violence inherent in the story while this film is basically a sensory overload of such dimensions that it becomes one of the most erotic films ever made. Brooks' teenager Thymian is brought up in a home where her father throws out her governess when the latter becomes pregnant. Immediately, the father employs another, even-more-attractive governess, and Thymian falls victim to her father's partner, a pharmacist who rapes and impregnates her. When she refuses to marry the pharmacist, her baby is taken away and Thymian is sent to live in a reform school and after she escapes from there, she and her new friend find themselves working in a brothel. The sets, costumes and performances are all created to play up the exotic nature of unknown sex which later translates into a world of never-ending sensuality which seems to make it easier to survive in a world without any real love. Thymian doesn't really want to be a whore, but she's been abused so many times in her young life that it's almost comforting for awhile, at least until she learns better from a rich old man who seeks nothing but to treat her with fatherly affection. The resolution of the film makes it clear that despite it all, Thymian's heart is ultimately full of both wisdom and innocence, things not possessed by the socialites who try to help girls such as she. Louise Brooks is beautiful and heartbreaking in her presence and performance here.

Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi, 2009)
-

Raimi's return to [relatively] lower-budget horror flicks is pretty good for what it is, although I'll admit that somehow I'm now more used to believing in a flying spider-man than I am simple curses and seances. The film begins 40 years ago in an effective scene which is later reproduced after our heroine Christine (Alison Lohman) receives her curse which will cause her to be dragged down to hell in three days' time. Now, the question becomes does she deserve the curse and is she the heroine? She's quite likeable and attractive, but she does treat the old woman quite poorly in an attempt to climb the ladder at her bank job, even though her boss and co-worker seem to be dyed-in-the-wool jerks. On the other hand, the old woman seems to overreact a bit by immediately terrorizing and cursing her. Well, we wouldn't have a movie if she didn't. Much of the film seems inspired by the original Nightmare on Elm Street in the way surrealism bleeds into everyday life, and Christine experiences things which no one else does, but then there are times when these violent, repulsive scenes become all too real and begin to affect others around her as well. I'd say the film was fair-to-middling, but it does get the benefit of the doubt from me because the last 15 minutes build up quite nicely to a definite "Gotcha" moment which makes much of the seeming craziness earlier on worth sitting through. Of course, I could be wrong since I basically don't watch "modern" horror films.

Love in the Afternoon (Billy Wilder, 1957)
+

Love in the Afternoon is a classic Billy Wilder romantic comedy which isn't mentioned as often as many of his other classics. There could be many reasons, including the fact that Gary Cooper appears to be too old to limn the dashing playboy in the film, but most people love Bogie's casting against type in Wilder's earlier Sabrina. Perhaps younger audiences don't get all the jokes and references at the beginning and end of the film. Wilder, who always loved to use topical humor, has Audrey Hepburn's father, private detective Maurice Chevalier, narrate these scenes as if he were doing a Jack Webb/Joe Friday impression which is hilarious to Brenda and me but may mean nothing to others. There is also the fact that the film is all rather simple for a comedy which is over two hours long, but as usual with most very good films, it's all in the details.

The simplicity involves the fact that Hepburn's Ariane lives vicariously through her father's files which are all about other peoples' love affairs. One day, she tries to save the Cooper character from violence and becomes totally infatuated with him. The details here include that John McGiver (Breakfast at Tiffany's) has a sparkling cameo as a husband who hires Chevalier and then wants to put several bullets into Cooper. One of the funniest things about this movie is that Cooper has a Hungarian quartet known as the Gypsies who play appropriate mood music for him, not only in his hotel suite, but in boats on a lake and in the sauna too. But perhaps the greatest detail which this film has (and one which tops the ending to Sabrina) is that the actual ending is deeply-romantic and movingly-filmed by Wilder in what I would call one of his best-directed scenes ever.

The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)

I've discussed this film many places around the site, including its own thread twice, so maybe this is overkill to mention it again, but I just watched it with someone who has never seen it, so I'll try to post something new and thoughtful, if I can. The bottom line for me is that this is the creepiest, scariest, most-unsettling horror film I've ever seen. It's far-more complex than Drag Me to Hell which wears its scares on its sleeves. The Innocents is so frightening because it's open to so many interpretations, and no matter which way you interpret it, it's just as disturbing as possible. It's based on Henry James' The Turn of the Screw which tells the story of a new governess, Miss Giddens (Deborah Kerr), and her effect on two angelic children who seem to be far more mature than their ages would allow. The boy Miles (Martin Stephens) is sent home from school for being "an injury" to the other boys, and the girl Flora (Pamela Franklin) seems to realize that Miles is coming home before anyone else does. This is only the beginning of many incidents which seem to possibly have more than one explanation, and as the film progresses, it becomes more-difficult to decide what the truth of the situation is. The photography is spectacular and the sound design awesomely conveys what could either be Miss Giddens' deepening madness or a presence of unspeakable evil which threatens to possess and corrupt the children in the form of two dead servants who formally helped to raise the children while freely carrying on an open S&M sexual relationship in front of them. Since the film was made in 1961, you have to pay attention to pick up all the plot nuances and possibilities, but all you have to have are eyes and ears to be transfixed and lost in another world of a large house full of rooms of whispers and scary "games" of hide-and-seek. Make sure you watch this one after it gets dark.

Red River (Howard Hawks, 1948)

Spectacular western epic about the first cattle drive along the Chisholm Trail is actually a thinly-veiled retelling of Mutiny on the Bounty. But years earlier, Thomas Dunson (John Wayne) breaks free from a wagon train with his longtime friend Groot (Walter Brennan), a wagon, a bull and some horses. Dunson tells his fiancee (Colleen Gray) to continue on with the train and that he'll send for her when he's ready. By the time the two men make it to the Red River in Texas, they realize that the wagons have been attacked by Indians. After the Indians attack them at night, young Matt arrives at their camp with a cow but he's half-crazy having witnessed the Indian attack on the wagon train before escaping. Years later, after the Civil War, Matt (played by Montgomery Clift as an adult) returns to help Dunson and Groot drive the herd of almost 10,000 cattle west to Missouri, although there are rumors that there's a railroad in Abilene, Kansas, which would eliminate the danger of Missouri raiders stealing the herd and killing the men. Dunson wants to take them to Missouri though and becomes despotic on the drive, causing many of the men to grumble and question his authority. Eventually, there is a mutiny and Dunson is left behind injured and embarrassed while Matt leads the herd to Abilene. Dunson vows to kill Matt once he recuperates and comes after him. Red River is full of action, male bonding, Indian attacks, gunfights, fistfights and the recreation of a full-fledged cattle drive where all the principal actors actually are involved in transporting a huge herd. It's also a character study of a bitter man who hasn't reconciled himself to a new postwar world where he needs more help than he ever has before but is too proud to ask for it since it will make him seem weak. I'm not going to go into the details about the films ending which has been discussed here recently, except to say that it makes total sense to me and is the only ending I can think of which does in the light of the way the two main characters have been presented for over two hours of screen time. If you want to see a father kill his son in a western, go watch The Big Country where it makes sense, but don't ask an epic western about the founding of a great cattle empire to end with one of the founders dead over a stubborn old man's misplaced sense of pride.

The Battle of Russia (Frank Capra & Anatole Litvak, 1943)

Part Five of the Why We Fight series is the two-part The Battle of Russia which not only explains the history of invasions into Russia during the 700 years leading up to WWII but goes into detail about the major battles of Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad where the Soviet army and strategy successfully repelled the Nazi invaders. Some early scenes even use Russian movies (Alexander Nevsky) to show how the Russians have repulsed the Teutonic Knights, the Swedes, Napoleon and various others before the onslaught of Hitler's blitzkrieg. The strategy of falling back and strengthening each line of resistance is clearly explained as well as the Nazis need to invade several countries before entering Russia in order to get natural resources and land and sea bases from which to launch their attacks. The striking imagery of actual combat footage, combined with archival footage, special effects, cartoon graphics, quick editing and Dimitri Tiomkin's stirring Russian score all add up to an educational, yet fast-paced and entertaining dissection of current events almost at the time of their occurrence. This film is about par for the series although it does contain some of the more potent images, including a haunting one showing Russian villagers hanging along the Eastern Front as the Nazis retreat.

500 Days of Summer 2009

The leads are great, Marc Webb nails a style, but the story is simple and it briefly plays with time to cover it up. This is a story that takes a minute to tell, it's just not complete. Sometimes if you cover the hole, most won't notice - but a few short music montages really don't gloss over the absent character insight.

Mary and Max 2009

Completely toneless, it's an ambitious effort to combine fantasy cartoon style story telling with adult themes and situations. The writing is all over the place and a narrator guides you through the whole thing (no-one else really speaks). It doesn't pick up any momentum and ends just as quietly.

Visually though, it's an amazing miniature beauty. Detailed photography spruces up the clay and creates a much more effective look, just as Coraline did earlier this year.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2009

The year's most clichéd animation, is probably this year's best. The story has the lessons that are required to be jammed into any high budget 3D film, but it leaps out of the pack with truly uproarious crude humor and by tackling fearlessly huge visual feats. A very unexpected burst of ambition from Sony Animation, they may have one upped Pixar at their own game this year.

Diary of a Lost Girl (G.W. Pabst, 1929)

I find this far superior to Louise Brooks' more-famous film by Pabst, Pandora's Box. That didn't really have the guts to show all the sex and violence inherent in the story while this film is basically a sensory overload of such dimensions that it becomes one of the most erotic films ever made. Brooks' teenager Thymian is brought up in a home where her father throws out her governess when the latter becomes pregnant. Immediately, the father employs another, even-more-attractive governess, and Thymian falls victim to her father's partner, a pharmacist who rapes and impregnates her. When she refuses to marry the pharmacist, her baby is taken away and Thymian is sent to live in a reform school and after she escapes from there, she and her new friend find themselves working in a brothel. The sets, costumes and performances are all created to play up the exotic nature of unknown sex which later translates into a world of never-ending sensuality which seems to make it easier to survive in a world without any real love. Thymian doesn't really want to be a whore, but she's been abused so many times in her young life that it's almost comforting for awhile, at least until she learns better from a rich old man who seeks nothing but to treat her with fatherly affection. The resolution of the film makes it clear that despite it all, Thymian's heart is ultimately full of both wisdom and innocence, things not possessed by the socialites who try to help girls such as she. Louise Brooks is beautiful and heartbreaking in her presence and performance here.

Red River (Howard Hawks, 1948)

I'm not going to go into the details about the films ending which has been discussed here recently, except to say that it makes total sense to me and is the only ending I can think of which does in the light of the way the two main characters have been presented for over two hours of screen time. If you want to see a father kill his son in a western, go watch The Big Country where it makes sense, but don't ask an epic western about the founding of a great cattle empire to end with one of the founders dead over a stubborn old man's misplaced sense of pride.

"Diary" sounds very interesting. I'm a sucker for the odd silent film and this sounds more up my alley (Whoops! Watch out Vicar!) than "Pandora's Box".
Nice write up!

Ahhh....."River that is Red".
I see where you are coming from in how the film can;t have ended with actual death.
But then I also see that the screenplay had written itself into that trap with how far it went. Perhaps a middle ground was needed.

The ending we have though simply awful. A pat, "Donovan's Reef", comedy chums all together leech that's stuck itself on from a different film altogether.
The solution is...or should have been...up to the guys who get paid to write this stuff to work out.
We may not need death at the end...but we sure as hell don't need "North to Alaska" either.

Welcome to the human race...

Knife in the Water (Roman Polanski, 1962) -

Polanski's first noteworthy film may have a title and plot worthy of some sort of low-rent thriller - married couple pick up mysterious hitch-hiker and invite him on a boat trip - but it works as a fairly decent piece of cinema. Despite being a very mundane film in terms of actual events, the characters are all played well, with palpable tension between the leads bubbling just under the surface and occasionally lashing out. There's also something to be said for the camerawork, which manages to stay inventive enough to keep your attention the whole way through. The jazzy score is hit-and-miss, more miss than hit at least.

Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965) -

The title says it all. Repulsion is not a comfortable viewing experience for a number of reasons. It's pretty much necessitated by the story - revolving around Catherine Deneuve's introverted salon worker going steadily insane. Even though it was a rather disturbing experience, I guess that means the film - an exercise in depicting sheer psychosis - a very effective one. What makes Repulsion so effective? Various factors - for one, Deneuve's unnerving performance, which goes from merely socially inept and sexually repressed all the way through to being so wracked by terror she becomes unable to function properly. It's a performance capable of inspiring pity yet also very hard to "like", if that makes any sense. As with most of the Polanski films I've seen so far (namely the ones he made prior to Macbeth, really), it plays out veeeeeery sloooooowly, which can test a viewer's patience a bit, but it still remains an effective character piece even before things really start getting out of hand (ranging from Deneuve's bizarre behaviour to some unexpected surrealist shocks). Once again, Polanski's apparent preference for jazzy scores kind of jars with the film, at least for me it does, but the sound work in virtually every other regard is handled well, whether utilising utter silence during frenzied action or the admittedly clichéd "sting" whenever something shocking happens.

The Passenger (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975) -

This marks the first time I've ever watched one of Antonioni's films, and all I can really say is "Wow." The plot's worthy of a Hitchcock movie - Jack Nicholson's self-doubting journalist decides to trade identities with a dead arms dealer and ends up going on a journey across Europe, following the dead man's itinerary while a number of people try searching for him - yet it never truly comes across as that kind of thriller. It's a very slowly paced film, preferring to focus on character over plot (although said plot remains well-executed) and it draws a surprisingly strong performance out of Nicholson. The story doesn't quite answer all the questions in a single viewing and there is that ending (accomplished in an impressive long take) which, rather than giving off a real "What the hell, is that it?" feeling, is enough to make me want to watch the whole thing all over again. I can really see this one cracking my favourites list one of these days. Great in just about every way (except for the music, which is almost non-existent in The Passenger, but that never bothered me - in fact, after listening to the intrusive jazz music in those last two Polanski movies, I would welcome a lack of music).

In the Beginning...

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Yates, 2009)

I worried that as this series drew to a close, given the increasing length of the books, the film adaptations would falter. After an underwhelming Goblet of Fire, I was glad to see that Order of the Phoenix turned out to be fun, harrowing, and ultimately sensible. I credit that as much to the screenwriters and director David Yates as anybody else.

Sadly, this one disappoints. It’s not that it’s horrible, per se, but by comparison, it suffers from a few glaring issues the preceding Potter films have mostly been able to avoid.

Read the rest of the review HERE.

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....
Big Stan (2007)

Originally Posted by A small Description
All in all it's a great comedy. It Stars Rob Schneider so of course you're in for a good ride. A unique story that has some extremely funny scenes and deliverance of Lines. A character that will make you remember this movie is definitely going to be David Carradine's portrayal of The Master. I definitely recommend to see this one, especially if you want to have a good laugh.