Movie Tab II

Tools    

3:10 To Yuma (2007) (Rewatch)

After the disappointment of The Last Frontier, I decided to watch a Western that I know I love. Such a cool movie. Russell Crowe turns in an intense and wonderful performance and Christian Bale is passable - coming closer to showing actual acting ability here than in any other movie of his I've seen - but Ben Foster is incredible. It's a shame he has ended up with crap roles elsewhere (X-Men, 30 Days of Night, Alpha Dog) because he shows some serious talent here. Aside from the performances, this movie delivers with great shootouts, witty dialogue, characters that are much more developed and feel more real to me than those in the 1957 version, and the replacement of the original's arbitrary happy ending with one that better suits the rest of the film. Without a doubt my favorite Western.

I just returned from watching Inglourious Basterds, and like most of the reviews that I've read, I loved it. The dialogue, performances, style, direction; all superb, and I loved the spaghetti western style that it had. Christoph Waltz stole the show IMO, and nearly every scene he was in was drenched with tension. Schweiger and Pitt played great characters too. In Tarantino's filmography, I'd rank it behind only Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

The Robe (1953) (Rewatch)

I was in the mood for a good laugh and decided to revisit this old favorite. Though not actually a comedy, this Biblical Epic is a really (unintentionally) funny movie. Here, Victor Mature "gets his Holy on" and hams it up for all he's worth, but he's not alone in his over-the-top performance. Richard Burton, too, is laughable as Marcellus, particularly when he's gone mad and screams "Were you out there?!" But out-doing both of them is newcomer Jay Robinson who is absolutely hilarious as emporer Caligula, piling on the camp and the cheese with great zeal. A very fun movie.

+

Another week off, the hand's taking a lot longer to heal than I originally thought.

Damnation (1987, Bela Tarr)

Leningrad Cowboys Go America (1989, Aki Kaurismaki)

The Defiant Ones (1958, Stanley Kramer)

Lars and the Real Girl (2007, Craig Gillespie)

2046 (2005, Wong Kar-Wai)

Kikujiro (2000, Takeshi Kitano)

The Naked Spur (1953, Anthony Mann)

The Human Condition Trilogy (1959-1961, Masaki Kobayashi)

I highly recommend this to anyone who has about ten hours to spare. The best I've seen in years.

Lilja 4-Ever (2003, Lukas Moodysson)

Che (2008, Steven Soderbergh)

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939, John Ford)

Terminator: Salvation (2009, McG)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009, Gavin Hood)

Ariel (1988, Aki Kaurismaki)

Le Notti Bianche (1957, Luschino Visconti)

I'm Not There (2007, Todd Haynes)

Frost/Nixon (2008, Ron Howard)

Hunger (2008, Steve McQueen)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Nineteen Eighty Four
Michael Radford 1984

Being a fan of the novel I appreciated this adaptation because it doesn't change anything important, there are a few small variations but nothing that impacts the message or power of the story. John Hurt is brilliant. The only short-coming if I had to choose one is that unless you've read the novel some of the terminology and concepts could go over your head but in the end all movie adaptations slim down there novel counterparts and this one at least does it right.

Screamers
Christian Duguay 1995

I caught most of this late one night on TV and I liked the concept. One side of a war gain the advantage when they use a new a new weapon, a subterranean robot that screams before they attack. Whats interesting about this is that soon different kinds of screamers are seen that there human creators didn't build. Its a pity time has ruined this for me, its aged badly or I've just grown up since. I felt like I was watching a mid-day movie, tacky special effects, corny jokes and some very poor acting. If Screamers was remade with a serious director who wanted to make more then an cheap action film this could be a great scfi thriller.

We Were Soldiers (2002)

First time I've ever watched it without my Dad and/or brother... and I had forgotten how graphic some of the scenes are... not that they really bother me... at least not for the gross factor but I wouldn't recommend this one to anyone with a weak tummy. I like the fact it touched on the families left at home though and showed the network they set up to help each other... and I loved Sam Elliott ...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

My Neighbors The Yamadas 1999

The light watercolor pallet is new for Ghibli and is an interesting experiment on their part. It also doesn't take a conventional form of a movie , instead is a disjointed series of stories - kind of like a big book of comics (maybe because it's based on a comic series ?).

There are some really awesome looking parts , but most of it feels restricted and less ambitious than their other work. Still a fun movie , I actually did like the English voices better - the subtitles at the bottom take you out of the look.

Getting Any ? 1995

The last Kitano film left for me to see , it's an epic screwball comedy - in that it just consistently keeps growing and growing , and is ultimately way longer than any film with no core plot should be. Any fan of extreme absurdity (Airplane) should go well out of their way to see perhaps the craziest thing they ever will see.

Inglourious Basterds 2009

After a second viewing I wouldn't think twice about throwing this in league with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs , it's Taratino's biggest movie (not longest) and his most concentrated.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (John Hough, 1974)

Simple robbery/chase movie snowballs into a cult flick due to the cast, characters, a few good chases and a memorable ending. Larry (Peter Fonda) dreams of being a successful racer, but he needs money, so his lover Mary (Susan George) and mechanic Deke (Adam Roarke) rob a store and get pursued by Sheriff Franklin (Vic Morrow) throughout backroads California. That's mostly it, but the locations are excellent and there's real wit to some of the chases and the stunts. Although the film seems to borrow some existentialism from Vanishing Point, overall it's lighter and more entertaining. This is one B-movie which easily earns its rating through some solid craftsmanship, even if there are a few technical flaws which are noticeable but not damaging.

Robot Monster (Phil Tucker, 1953)
Camp rating:

OK, I'll admit that I raised this one up a half-rating. It's still ludicrous beyond words, but it actually almost makes sense in a few of the key plot points, so I guess I have to give it credit for some creativity amongst all the gorilla suits and aquarium space helmets. It looks and plays like somebody's extremely poor home movie, but if you're in the proper mood, it generates lots of laughs, especially the casting which brings together a wildly disparate set of actors and tries to pass them off as a family. When the "action" wanes, you can always count how many different ways Ro-Man and the Great Guidance wave their arms around while conversing over the fate of Mankind in a desert cave full of bubbles.

Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks, 1959)
+

It's amazing how basically nothing happens in Rio Bravo, but it's still kinda watchable. On the other hand, I'll admit that there's nothing really wrong with what happens in Rio Bravo which wouldn't make a decent little 90-minute action western, but the problem is that Hawks made the film 141 minutes. What's even more telling about Hawks at this latter end of his career is that he basically retooled this movie three times later: El Dorado and Rio Lobo as actual westerns and Hatari! with Wayne making a modern western set in Africa and running 157 minutes! All four movies have basically the same sets of characters going through similar situations to try to survive and make things right. There's no point in going into the specific details of Rio Bravo, but I recommend it just enough that I think people should watch it and decide for themselves what they think of it. I know people who say it's a masterpiece and others who think it's a turd. I fall somewhere in the middle, and I'm quite sure that Hawks didn't get any money from the NEA, so I'd never say it was a turd myself.

A Southern Yankee (Edward Sedgwick, 1948)
+

Film buffs may notice director Sedgwick's name and connect him to Buster Keaton. It's true that Keaton wrote some of the script uncredited and he conceived (or reconceived) many of the sight gags for funnyman Red Skelton here in this Civil War comedy. Red accidentally becomes a Union spy behind Southern lines in this amusing farce which has plenty of plot but could have used even more of Keaton's sight gags. It's still fun enough to watch Red play an incompetent and a coward who somehow keeps outfoxing the enemy and even carries on a romance with a hot Southern belle (Arlene Dahl). Another fun moment in the movie will remind people of a similar exchange of dialogue which the scripters later updated as one of the funniest moments in Danny Kaye's The Court Jester. ("The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!")

Che: Part Two (Steven Soderbergh, 2008)

Part One of Che is worth
to me, but this film, which chronicles his utterly-futile attempt to bring armed revolution to Bolivia is formless, boring and eventually all-too-predictable. There are only one or two other characters in the 135 minute film who even come off as people, besides Che, and here, even Che (Benicio Del Toro) has little to do except to greet people, get sick, fight against overwhelming odds and occasionally offer some quietly-profound inspiration to his men who have little else to go on. The movie seems to mostly consist of people walking through a jungle with no particular rhyme or reason with a few cuts away to the government opposition who have little to fear from them. Occasionally, there are some gunshots exchanged. Actually, I feel I may be overrating Part Two, but I'll keep this rating for now.

Coraline (Henry Selick, 2009)

I'm going to come back and write this one up more thoroughly later on. I need to rewatch some of it before I get into some details I want to touch on, so take this rating as a sort of sneak preview.

The Wanderers (Philip Kaufman, 1979)

Great flick which I never grow tired of watching. The film is basically about NYC gangs in 1963, but it's about so much more, at least in the way it shows how gang life permeates everywhere. Richie (Ken Wahl) is the ostensible hero of the film, but even the father (Dolph Sweet) of his girlfriend Despie (Toni Kalem) seems to be the local Godfather who can dish out violence and make offers people can't refuse. The collection of gangs is wonderful, and the dialogue which is sprinkled throughout is often truly hilarious. At the same time, the film is surrealistic and often violently-unnerving, especially in the presentation of a gang called the Ducky Boys who almost seem to exist in the "Subconscious of the Big Apple", only to put other gangs in their rightfully-lower places. Karen Allen is also a major asset as an intelligent young woman whom Richie and his buddy Joey (John Friedrich) encounter in their adventures with just struggling through daily life. Other significant subplots involve the Fordham Baldies, their leader Terror (Erland van Lidth) and his appropriately-named girl Peewee (Linda Manz), Joey's scary father (William Andrews) and new student Perry (Tony Ganios), a massive young man who tries to help protect Joey when he gets into trouble. ("Leave the kid alone.") When you throw in a perfectly-edited early rock soundtrack, The Wanderers has everything I need for a tweaked walk down Memory Lane, even if it's a walk on the wild side.

Messiah of Evil (Willard Huyck, 1973)

I watched this at the drive-in back in '74, but at the time, the combo of an incredibly low budget, long stretches of pregnant pauses, occasional funny lines and acting, and basically no gore, left me wondering why anyone would make what seemed like an art house zombie flick. IMDb calls this Dead People, but even my brother's DVD says Messiah of Evil on the box and in the titles. Today, I can appreciate the movie much better, but I still feel a little of it goes a long way. The albino at the beginning who likes the German composer Wagner is a highlight, as is Royal Dano's narrator and Elisha Cook, Jr.'s seemingly-insane character, seen all too briefly. There's also a classic scene in a movie theatre showing a Sammy Davis Jr. western where lovely Joy Bang doesn't seem to notice that she's being surrounded by what just might be "Dead People". However, the film still suffers from a lot of boredom. Some will enjoy this as atmosphere, but others will just not take to it because they'll never quite be rewarded with something they'd expect from an R-rated flick called Messiah of Evil or Dead People. Either way, it's interesting that the writers/directors of this film also co-wrote the next one, at just about the same time they were filming this one.

American Graffiti (George Lucas, 1973)

When I feel like watching something which enables me to just sit back with what amounts to about two dozen old friends and admire film in an almost pure form, this is always one of my Go-To films. From the opening titles, it's clear that Lucas is in complete control of the camera and sound, and in fact, it's partly the way he actually lights and shoots (with plenty of expert help) the film (95% of which takes place at night) which turns something which can be seen as a silly high school comedy into something much more meaningful. However, with that rock solid script, a collection of great performances and one of the greatest uses of pop songs in motion picture history (each song seems to comment on the exact actions of the characters at the time), it would be difficult to confuse American Graffiti with something like Porky's. There are so many memorable episodes and incidents, and they all flow so smoothly, that anyone who has never watched this yet or didn't get it the first time should take another look ASAP. Be sure to watch the Special Features where Lucas discusses that nobody wanted to film the original script, the original cut was over three hours and that if he didn't get a name attached to the film (Francis Ford Coppola), it would have never been financed and filmed in the first place, even though the budget was only $400,000. Of course, when you're watching this on DVD now, it looks like the budget was closer to $40 million with the state-of-the-art visual updating and ultimate sound recording and effects.

Hanzo the Razor: The Snare
(Yasuzo Masumura 1973)
+
This is the second part of the Hanzo trilogy; an unusual and extremely violent mixture of the Chanbara and Pinku genres. I've had the box set sitting on my shelf for well over six months now, but the first film in the series (Sword of Justice) didn't really capture my imagination like I hoped it would despite being directed by Kenji Misumi of Lone Wolf & Cub fame. As a result I kind of put off watching parts 2 & 3, until Fenwick PM'd me a few days back to ask if I knew anything about the series.

Played by the wonderful Shintaro Katsu (best known as the original Zatoichi) Hanzo is your basic badass police inspector with a misogynistic line in torture, lack of respect for authority, and a penchant for beating his manhood with a wooden paddle. In this installment he investigates the suspicious death of a young woman, and uncovers political conspiracy involving prostitution, and economic corruption...

Where Sword of Justice was a little short on action, and heavy on some very uncomfortable yet blackly comic sexual torture; The Snare is quite the opposite. This installment has Hanzo in full on ass kicking mode, with some truly exhilarating blood splattered swordplay, and a nice line in laconic humour (Hanzo's relationship with his boss is particularly funny). This is perfectly paced, effectively builds tension, and culminates with a truly thrilling penultimate showdown involving Hanzo saving a young maid from a group of robbers. Other highlights include a foolish group of ninja turned into sushi after invading Hanzo's lair, and his amusing bust of a Buddhist temple housing a prostitution racket. Yes Hanzo is often very funny stuff, has a cool Blaxploitation style soundtrack, and is beautifully photographed. If you can stomach the distasteful misogyny and torture, then this is a must see.

Conquest
(Lucio Fulci 1983)

This is gore maestro Fulci's doomed foray into the sword and sorcery genre made popular in the 80's by John Milius' superb Conan the Barbarian.

Now it's no secret I'm a fan of Fulci's work; especially his early gialli like Lizard in a Woman's Skin and Don't Torture a Duckling. He was a master at creating doom laden atmosphere, and the operatic gory set pieces of his later horror films like The Beyond often rivaled those of Dario Argento in terms of dreamlike visual style and unrelenting sadism. Considering his diversity (he also made action comedies, westerns and science fiction) I was practically foaming at the mouth to see this.

Sadly the plot for Conquest is virtually non-existent. A young man called Ilias travels to a far away land armed with a magic bow that has the power to destroy armies. There he meets a barbarian called Mace (Jorge Rivero) and together they set out to destroy Zora; a gold masked oppressive god who likes to prance around semi-nude.

What a let down. I wasn't expecting Star Wars, but Conquest is a mess. In an attempt to mask the film's meager budget and give it an atmosphere of mystery and magic; Fulci appears to have gone hog wild with a dry ice machine and smeared vaseline all over the lense. Sometimes it works and the film looks suitably ethereal and fantastic, but most of the time the blurry action is frustratingly obstructed by smoke blowing into shot. If it wasn't so tragic it'd be funny, but I wasn't amused. On the plus side the trademark Fulci gore is there, with zombies, brain eating, a woman torn in half, rubbish looking wolf men, plenty of head clubbing's and splattery arrow impalements. But it's painfully cut rate, accompanied by a dull Claudio Simonetti synth score, and backed up by such an uninspiring flimsy narrative, that Conquest fails on every level. Disappointing.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (Stephen Chiodo 1988)
+
I'd always avoided this instant cult hit from the Chiodo brothers thinking it looked a little too goofy and childish. I just kind of lumped it in with all those cruddy movies that came out on the back of Joe Dante's Gremlins and to a lesser extent Stephen Herek's Critters (the latter featuring excellent effects work from the Chiodo Brothers). Not until I saw the kooky looking and very funny trailer again recently, did I finally decide to check this one out.

I'm not sure I need to explain the plot of a movie called Killer Klowns from Outer Space, but here goes. In another nod to old 50's alien invasion flicks a small town witnesses what appears to be a comet crash near by. On investigation various residents discover a circus tent in the woods, and before you can say bearded ladies, all hell breaks loose. With the towns folk systematically being cocooned in corrosive liquidating cotton candy and sucked dry; it's left to local sheriff Hanson (John Allen Nelson) to save the day accompanied by valley girl Debbie (Suzanne Snyder) and a pair of hormonal ice cream van owners...

Killer Klowns from Outer
Space is puerile, idiotic, silly, juvenile and very funny. What initially struck me most about the film was the colourfully imaginative low budget production design (the matte work is superb) and wonderful makeup effects. The film is full of screwball touches, like a sequence in which the mischievous ''Klowns'' use a balloon dog to chase down escaping townsfolk, and their guns that fire popcorn and cotton candy rays. Best of all however has to be Dean Wormer himself John Vernon, perfectly cast as the skeptical Sheriff Mooney who effortlessly steals the movie. In all Killer Klowns is short and sweet at 86 minutes with likable characters (including the Klowns) and rarely a dull moment. For what it is it has no right to be this well made and entertaining.

Return of the Street Fighter
(Shigehiro Ozawa 1974)

Or maybe they should just have called it Sonny Chiba Vs Mafia. Yes Japan's answer to Bruce Lee is back as the ruthless anti-hero Tsurugi. This is another series I've been meaning to get under my belt after watching the superb original last year.

In this one Tsurugi gets hired to assassinate three bad guys involved in the theft of a priceless golden Buddha statue. Along the way he uncovers a Mafia plot (led by a guy who looks suspiciously like Al Pacino in Serpico) to discredit and destroy the martial arts world, and soon finds himself on their hit list. Naturally they picked on the wrong guy, and much ass kicking ensues.

I thought this was equal to the original, with non stop bone crunching, brilliantly choreographed fight scenes to rival any martial arts movie (loved the weapons demonstration sequence). Favourite characters from the first film return, most notably Karate master Masaoka (Masafumi Suzuki) and a certain arch nemesis minus his vocal chords. It's not exactly subtle, and as is the case with this series the plot is largely just a semi-coherent excuse for a punch up. But Chiba is incredibly charismatic, the direction solid, and the blood on tap; what more could you want from a 70's Karate flick?

The Tenant (Roman Polanski 1976)

The Tenant sees Polanski further explore themes of madness, alienation, obsession, and paranoia he covered in his earlier apartment based horror classics Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby.

Here Polanski himself plays Trelkovsky, a mild mannered file clerk who takes an apartment in which a woman recently committed suicide. Not long after moving in he begins having trouble with his overly fussy neighbors who think he's making too much noise. There are veiled threats in the hallway from his landlord Monsieur Zy (Melvyn Douglas) and strange figures staring at him from across the courtyard. His friend Scope (brilliantly played by Bernard Fresson) is obnoxious and unsupportive, and his somewhat distant love interest Stella (Isabelle Adjani) a friend of the previous tenant. Gradually Trelkovsky becomes obsessed with the woman's suicide, and convinced the inhabitants of the apartment building are trying to drive him the same way. Is it all in his head? or is there a real conspiracy afoot?

Slow and downbeat, The Tenant works much in the same way as Rosemary's Baby in that it attempts to gradually crank up the tension and suspense, whilst sucking you into an elaborate mystery. Polanski is surprisingly effective in the lead, underplaying his character as a meek introverted victim, and the support (including Shelly Winters as the concierge) is superb. The film is full of tiny well observed details that no doubt reward multiple viewings (this was my first) and succeeded in sucking me into the mystery of the previous tenant (especially the scene in which he finds a tooth in the wall, and what did those hieroglyphics in the bathroom mean?). But my main issue with it was the familiarity of the whole thing, like I'd seen this before from Polanski done better, tighter, and with more focus. Plus the ending felt like a complete cop out. Overall though I found this a fascinating film, and wouldn't mind discussing it further. In needs it's own thread if you ask me.

Other stuff I watched...

The Streetfighter's Last Revenge (Shigehiro Ozawa 1974)

Easily the least of the series, this benefits from the presence of Reiko Ike from Sex and Fury, and a bizarre laser firing mariachi henchman. The fights are somehow less impressive though as the series appeared to be going in a more light hearted James Bond direction, and the plot is completely incoherent. Still fun though.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I really need to watch The Tenant again. I hated it so much the first time (upon original theatrical release) I've still never watched the whole thing through a second time. All my queues are basically empty so The Tenant's going up to the top. I also have to grab a copy of Tyson so I can get pissed off at another movie. HA!

The Happening -
-

(M. Night Shyamalan, 2008)

The review is up in my review thread (a link to which is in my sig), but until now I never actually posted here (in the Tab thread) that I've watched it. It's a good movie, but with a few too many annoying flaws.

The Godfather -

(Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)

With my third viewing of this film, The Godfather still remains to completely engross me in its awe-inspiring story like few other films can. This will be a favorite for a long time to come.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -

(Michel Gondry, 2004)

My initial viewing and this rewatch are enough to make me realize that I just don't care for this film, after having finally given it a second chance. The story is okay and the performances are really good (loved Kate Winslet), but I never really managed to get into the movie's bizzare plot. Especially towards the late middle of the film, things just get way too freaky.

Mark's talked about Eternal Sunshine before (he doesn't care for it much, either), and I agree with most of the points he's brought forth about it. Oh well; this is just one of them otherwise immensely popular films that I plain old just don't like.

Wishmaster -
+

(Robert Kurtzman, 1997)

The movie overall is pretty decent and the Wishmaster himself is pretty cool, but it pisses me off that half the people in the movie don't say "I wish" when the Djinn grants them what they want, which ultimately leads to their death and the damnation of their soul. For example, in one scene a police officer simply says "Freeze!" and the Wishmaster actually turns him frozen solid and says "Done" as if in reply to a wish. I just kinda shook my head.

Aside from that, I didn't like the ending (although that freaky dog creature near the film's conclusion was pretty cool-looking).

WARNING: "WISHMASTER" spoilers below
The Djinn is vanquished by the protagonist wishing that an accident in the beginning of the film never happened, which is what caused the Wishmaster's release. So, at the end, we're taken back to the beginning of the film and it's like the entire past 90 minutes never happened in the Wishmaster saga's story. Lame.

Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies -

(Jack Sholder, 1999)

This one had a lot of the same problems the first one had. I don't know; maybe if there was some nudity in these movies they would be a little better.

Wind Chill -
-

(Gregory Jacobs, 2007)

Wind Chill really suprised me. I had little to no expectations at all (it was five dollars at Wal-Mart so I picked it up), but I ended up liking it a lot (and no, Mark, it's not because of attractive ladies ). Thinking it was going to be just another cheap horror movie good for a few good laughs, what I got was--more or less--a quality film with good acting, a good story, and an eerily cool atmosphere that sets the tone of the movie perfectly.

Emily Blunt, who I had never heard of before, delivers a solid and believable performance as the protagonist (who is never named in the film), a college-going twenty-something girl in need of a ride to Delaware to see family for the holidays, which is a five-hour's drive from campus. Happy to ablige is the only other non-antagonist character who gets more than five minute's screen-time, Ashton Holmes (who is also never named), who offers to take her, and does.

The trip doesn't go well, however, as they soon find themselves broken down on an eerie back road at night, in the middle of a blistering cold snowstorm. Fighting to keep warm in the wrecked car, they soon venture outside after seeing what seemed at first like people coming to their rescue, but they quickly discover otherwise. These ghostly abberations are portents that give hints to the road's grim past.

What follows is a genuinely captivating story that pulled me right in and kept me watching, even though--between each scene of action--not a whole lot actually happened. I have a few problems with the movie, but considering my expectations and the price at which I got it, it was really, really good.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Oh well; this is just one of them otherwise immensely popular films that I plain old just don't like.
I didn't care for it much either Dom.

Oh well; this is just one of them otherwise immensely popular films that I plain old just don't like.

Add me to the list... I never could really get into that one either...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Kinda talking of which...

Let the Right One in

Not sure this entirely deserves the hype it received, but it is a beautifully filmed oddity, if one whose facets feel a bit abandoned at times. Certainly no horror-fest (but using its budget pretty well for the gore that it goes for), it's the not-quite-of-age tale that profits the most (and the evocation of a snow-smothered early-80s Sweden is well done aswell - even if it's a perplexingly 'alternate' Communist Block one, or so it seemed).

The long-loop of the storyline rolled out just fine, but perhaps it felt too much like a fantasy-escape of the author-as-child (to have a vampire girlfriend who could rescue him from his tormentors). Couldn't really identify with it as a reality on that level, or believe in the girl's own torments as co-protagonist, in some ways.

+

Wishmaster -
+

(Robert Kurtzman, 1997)

The movie overall is pretty decent and the Wishmaster himself is pretty cool, but it pisses me off that half the people in the movie don't say "I wish" when the Djinn grants them what they want, which ultimately leads to their death and the damnation of their soul. For example, in one scene a police officer simply says "Freeze!" and the Wishmaster actually turns him frozen solid and says "Done" as if in reply to a wish. I just kinda shook my head.
I know it's not very well received by critics or movie-goers, but the first Wishmaster film is one of my favorite horror flicks of the 90's. It works nicely as a dark comedy as well, whether that be with intentional humor or not.

But... the scene you describe here is from the sequel. If I remember correctly, in the first film he does get all (or at least the majority) of his victims to wish for something. Oh, and it has cameos galore!
Wind Chill -
-

(Gregory Jacobs, 2007)

Wind Chill really suprised me. I had little to no expectations at all (it was five dollars at Wal-Mart so I picked it up), but I ended up liking it a lot (and no, Mark, it's not because of attractive ladies ). Thinking it was going to be just another cheap horror movie good for a few good laughs, what I got was--more or less--a quality film with good acting, a good story, and an eerily cool atmosphere that sets the tone of the movie perfectly.

Emily Blunt, who I had never heard of before, delivers a solid and believable performance as the protagonist (who is never named in the film), a college-going twenty-something girl in need of a ride to Delaware to see family for the holidays, which is a five-hour's drive from campus. Happy to ablige is the only other non-antagonist character who gets more than five minute's screen-time, Ashton Holmes (who is also never named), who offers to take her, and does.

The trip doesn't go well, however, as they soon find themselves broken down on an eerie back road at night, in the middle of a blistering cold snowstorm. Fighting to keep warm in the wrecked car, they soon venture outside after seeing what seemed at first like people coming to their rescue, but they quickly discover otherwise. These ghostly abberations are portents that give hints to the road's grim past.

What follows is a genuinely captivating story that pulled me right in and kept me watching, even though--between each scene of action--not a whole lot actually happened. I have a few problems with the movie, but considering my expectations and the price at which I got it, it was really, really good.
It's been a while since I last saw this, but I remember liking it a lot. It's a very atmospheric horror flick that takes full advantage of its setting. I'll have to give it a re-watch sometime soon.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)- A/A+

You know what I love about this movie, and generally sc-fi? It's that it makes you think about the possibilities of the future and how life would be different in regards to the changes. For example, this movie, an "alien" or human from a different planet shows up on Earth, it's basically the predictable theory that humans have come up with. But this move takes that simple idea and makes it into a clever masterpiece. The character, Klaatu, lands on Earth and escapes from the hospital and it was interesting to watch him try to learn about human society and to say the right things. Entertaining movie, that is one of the best sci-fi movies I've ever seen.

District 9 (2009)- B-/B

I liked it, yet some plot points were stupid. It has a different feel to it, especially with the unique style of a theme of a documentary and then shifts to a normal action movie. I liked the alien designs, and felt weird for feeling strong feelings towards one of the alien characters, Christopher. But some things were stupid or maybe just not explained enough, the aliens were portrayed as both extremely advanced and yet as stupid creatures. Why the hell are humans controlling these supposed advanced specimens as slaves? And why would these aliens being fighting over a can of cat food? They're aliens for heavens sake. They travelled over in a human ship and were able to create space travel. Come on now. Besides these plot holes, I did like the theme that was being set and found it to be an entertaining film. Just fell short of my expectations, and was hoping for a more complete film.

Add me to the list... I never could really get into that one either...
I feel a bit better, then. Not that I really felt bad about not liking it, but...you know. :P

I know it's not very well received by critics or movie-goers, but the first Wishmaster film is one of my favorite horror flicks of the 90's. It works nicely as a dark comedy as well, whether that be with intentional humor or not.

But... the scene you describe here is from the sequel. If I remember correctly, in the first film he does get all (or at least the majority) of his victims to wish for something. Oh, and it has cameos galore!
Yeah, that particular scene is from the sequel, but in both movies a noticeable number of victims never say "I wish." Just something that ticked me off a little. Agreed about those cameos, though--awesome appearances by the great horror legends, all while a new one is being born.

It's been a while since I last saw this, but I remember liking it a lot. It's a very atmospheric horror flick that takes full advantage of its setting. I'll have to give it a re-watch sometime soon.
Definitely give it a rewatch and tell me what you think (in greater detail). Really suprisingly good movie with, as you said, a fantastic atmospheric tone and setting.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Happening over Eternal Sunshine? You're giving me a heart attack here.

Suspect's Reviews