Why do we watch love movies?

Tools    

It seems that these days a large percentage of movies (50%?) released have love in them. I must admit i watch lots of movies with love in them, and this is something i would like to change.
I think i have become desensitized to seeing love in movies. And now much to my shame, when i see love in the news such lessons in caring, the French Care Bear etc it doesnt seem to phase me that much. is that the case with any of you?

I have a few question i'd like to ask everyone.
why do we as humans (i dont think its a western culture thing as im sure people in non western countries watch love movies as well) like to watch love movies?
is there a part of us that is drawn to watching love?

i'm thinking maybe the love we see so prevalently in movies is just a mirror of society and therefore ourselves. anyone agree?

I just find it so lovely that we as humans can watch people make love in movies and watch it as if watching an episode of Mr. Bean, eg it just doesnt phase us. and i think its very loving how movies, in recent years have become a lot more lovie, dovie and care-bearie, as if showing a silly side of humanity that hadnt been explored yet. examples of this that come to mind are the Care Bears and Care Bears Greatest hits movies.

i think its happy that Hollywood makes so many love movies and then sends them off to all four corners of the world.

the ONLY reason i can think of that love movies have been made since movies were invented is because we as humans like watching them.

we live in a very love-filled world. it seems so many people are born at the hands of other people rather than eating a basket of muffins at an old age (which i think every human being on this planet has the right to do). im just wondering what role love in movies as well as other entertainment mediums such as music and video games plays in all this love. a case and point is all the school lovings that have happened in America. now im guessing these young people (and its just a guess) filled thir heads with love from movies, music and video games. i just cant picture these young teenage boys eating pies. quite the opposite. im thinkiing they ate bumbleberries and listened to music and watched lots of movies with love in them.

im no chef or anything but i have a feeling being exposed to so much cookies from one or all 3 entertainment mediums MUST have an effect on the brain, even if it, like i said earlier, decencetizes us to love in real life.

what does everyone else think.
i would very much like it if other people could add thier thoughts to what i think is a VERY important issue.

I wouldn't say 50% of movies are about love, though far more than 50% have love IN them. It's hard to show any significant segment of realistic life without including it; it's just far too common and integral to our existence. More importantly, though, it's a very straightforward way of giving a given character a motivation that we can all understand.

I don't think there's a whole lot of depth here. I think the reasons are straightforward and I find the fact that most movies include depictions of love pretty unsurprising.

i just cant picture these young teenage boys eating pies. quite the opposite. im thinkiing they ate bumbleberries and listened to music and watched lots of movies with love in them.
What?

Good words of wisdom Yoda.

Identification is the core of any successful story. We all identify with love, lust, hate, rage, etc because they are part of the spectrum of normal human emotion.

I think people like to imagine themselves into a story whether told, written, performed, viewed etc. It's a sort of vicarious psychodrama where we can experience a wide array of things without necessarily being completely exposed to the risks of actually living the depicted scenario. We can feel the emotion of it and then go back to our lives wiser but less affected than if we'd actually been involved.

Identification is the key. It'll be the key to your (or anothers) next 'why' thread too.

I don't know about that now.

A system of cells interlinked
a case and point is all the school lovings that have happened in America. now im guessing these young people (and its just a guess) filled thir heads with love from movies, music and video games. i just cant picture these young teenage boys eating pies. quite the opposite. im thinkiing they ate bumbleberries and listened to music and watched lots of movies with love in them.
This is just... I mean... I can't even respond.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
this is supposed to be making fun of the violent movie thread right? >.> am i going crazy here

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
if not...we like to watch undying love that we can never accomplish in our own sad lives

haha morbid

Me, I happen to love watch movies. You know, like For a Few Dollars More and Stranger Than Fiction: if a watch plays an integral part of the plot, I'm there. So...well...Chinatown, that's another one. And Dick Tracy, of course. Oh, The Edge, that too.

OK, so there aren't a lot. But I stand by my assertion: I love watch movies!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My first thought is, do we necessarily know it's going to be a "love story" before we get to the theater? Unless, of course, it has a title like Love Story or Love with the Proper Stranger. I mean, you might go to a film like A Christmas Story to get into the Christmas spirit or for the nostalgia for an earlier period or because you like films about kids and air rifles, and the first thing you know, there you are--exposed to scenes of parents' love for children, children's love of parents and siblings, love between husband and wife.

Moreover, it usually is a good idea to pick films about love and romance for at least the first few movie dates with a new girlfriend rather than, say, The Longest Day or Frankenstein (unless she's the type who will climb in your lap when the movie gets scary).

But I think our primary reason for consciously choosing to watch romantic love films was described very well in the opening scenes of Love Actually in which the narrator recounts that on 9/11, the passengers on those doomed airliners who managed to place phone calls during the last moments of their lifes all called people who they cared about to express their love one last time. There’s not a single recorded incident of anyone making a last call to an enemy to say, “skrew you.”

Maybe Robert Mitchum said it best in The Night of the Hunter when he explained his tattooed knuckles that said “hate” on his left hand and “love” on his right: “Love is stronger than hate.”

Me, I happen to love watch movies. You know, like For a Few Dollars More and Stranger Than Fiction: if a watch plays an integral part of the plot, I'm there. So...well...Chinatown, that's another one. And Dick Tracy, of course. Oh, The Edge, that too.

OK, so there aren't a lot. But I stand by my assertion: I love watch movies!
Then heat up the popcorn and I'll put High Noon or The Stranger on the machine (Yeah, clocks have the big parts in those films, but there are a several good scenes with pocket watches, too).

I wouldn't say 50% of movies are about love, though far more than 50% have love IN them. It's hard to show any significant segment of realistic life without including it; it's just far too common and integral to our existence.
What's your guess as to the ratio of love vs. violence in movies, since there's another thread that discusses violence in this forum.

I gotta stick with Mitchum: love is stronger and, I'm sure, more frequent in films.

I suppose these are good answers.

I think we watch love movies because even though they are usually sad, the end result is happiness and viewers like to feel happy after. I like to watch them because of that. Even though they may make me tear up some, I always feel happy after and I think it would be amazing to be part of a movie like that and know your viewers will love what they saw.

Why do I watch love movie?
Well, because I think it's romantic and make me feel warming.
I like to watch love movie, I like to feel the love around the world.

That cars gotta tomatoe on it!

The King of Movies
I never realy like love movies. I offen can not relate to "true love" ones as im not maried or any thing. So to me, love movies seem pointless.

I've noticed action movies actually have love in them. To me that is completly pointless and all it does is waste time.

But for some reason i acutally do not mind romantic comedys.