Japanese films

Tools    

"I can't help it..."
Has anyone seen the totally awsome film, "Naked Killer"?
I was lucky enough to have seen the directors cut.
It is so cool. The gunplay is some of the best I have ever seen, and the music & nudity just makes the film more slick!
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

Originally Posted by liam5000
Has anyone seen the totally awsome film, "Naked Killer"?
I was lucky enough to have seen the directors cut.
It is so cool. The gunplay is some of the best I have ever seen, and the music & nudity just makes the film more slick!

"The Naked Killer" 8.5/10 rules, oodles of sex, violence and style.

Japanese horror, action, historical period dramas and Animation are my faves and Ima huge fan. There have been some truly great ones mentioned.........here are some faves of mine.

Horror-
takeshi Miike's ICHI: THE KILLER, VISTOR Q, DEAD or ALIVE and AUDITION
EVIL DEAD TRAP and FREEZE ME
THE EYE
ST JOHNS WORT

Historical Drama-
Chang Kaige's THE EMPEROR & THE ASSASIN
Kurosawa's RAN, KAGEMUSHA

Action-
Takeshi Kitano's HANA-BI and VIOLENT COP
Kenji Misumi's LONE WOLF AND CUB/BABY CART saga.

Animation-
WICKED CITY
GOLGO 13: THE PROFFESIONAL
NINJA SCROLL
GHOST IN THE SHELL
PERFECT BLUE

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by OG-
Battle Royale was deffinetely an intersting movie. I recommend just because I think everyone should see it.
Why?

Is Kong the only one who doesn't like this movie?

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Kong
Why?

Is Kong the only one who doesn't like this movie?
Your Not alnoe kong i HATED it. and it seems every one that does like it like it for all the wrong reasons
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by Hondo333
Your Not alnoe kong i HATED it. and it seems every one that does like it like it for all the wrong reasons
Kong wouldn't say that he hated it; just that he didn't like it.

It is good to see that Kong is not alone in his opinion of that movie thoughl; it's also nice to see that Kong isn't alone in his dislike of Series 7: The Contenders! Did you, by any chance, also dislike Natural Born Killers?

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Kong
Kong wouldn't say that he hated it; just that he didn't like it.

It is good to see that Kong is not alone in his opinion of that movie thoughl; it's also nice to see that Kong isn't alone in his dislike of Series 7: The Contenders! Did you, by any chance, also dislike Natural Born Killers?
I very much disliked NBK, I found it tacky, baddly directed and full of needless violence. Althought i dont soley blame stone it is very much his fault

Originally Posted by Deckard
takeshi Miike's ICHI: THE KILLER, VISTOR Q, DEAD or ALIVE and AUDITION
EVIL DEAD TRAP and FREEZE ME
THE EYE
ST JOHNS WORT
A couple of remarks over here...I don't think you can classify Ichi the Killer and Dead or Alive as horror films, they're more of a yakuza genre and don't really venture into horror territory. Audition can be called a horror film though.

The Eye is a horror, but Japanese it ain't - it's a Chinese production, directed by the Pang brothers of Bangkok Dangerous fame.

Every time a film with such a gratitous quantity of violence is released, it's bound to get a lot of fans for the wrong reasons. However, Battle Royale has deeper meanings (at least in my opinion) and messages which are buried under the bloodbath...I tried to explain this in a review of mine which can be read here. Actually, I would like Kong to read it and give me his opinions on this matter.

My ranting aside, BR is worth hunting for. I have a really lousy Chinese copy, and even through the bad picture quality and unreadable at times subtitles, th quality shines through.
You can obtain a region 0 copy from the British Amazon branch (amazon.co.uk).

Personally, I'm much more into European films than I am Japanese films, although I am impressed by Japanese films as well.
Oh my God. What crap.
Damn, I hate me!

Of the few I've seen, these are my fave:

5. Battle Royale
In the not too distant future, an entire grade level of high school students are planted on a island & forced to either kill themselves or defend themselves, until there's only one left standing.
A system of discipline to show 'em how to respect authority that might prove to be more efficient than staying after school cleaning erasers or detention, but probably won't be as enduring.
Cuz, y'know....
the kids would all be dead an' stuff.

4. Seven Samurai
Considered Akira Kurosawa's most accomplished work, Seven Samurai is a black & white classic whose story has inspired many a film afterwards, most notably (& one of my favorites) the Magnificent Seven.
It's a story of the Old East, which coincidently enough, runs themes which will eventually become staples in movies dealing with the Old West.
Here, the heros are truly heroes, but each is shown as a distinctive individual, with human traits & flaws that allow for the empty space to be felt whenever a warrior falls, in battles that, as the movies states, are never truly won.

3. Appleseed Ex Machina
So far, the most updated amazing animation in any animated feature.
Simply put, the computer-generated visuals in this film truly have to be seen in order to be believed.
However, even though the story is solid, as the sci-fi epic that Appleseed's visuals aspire to be, it does lack some originality in it's plotline. It is this reason, combined with the indistinguisnness of the faces (as is usually common for most 3-D anime) that prevented this movie from taking the number one position of this list.
That said, the technical details & intricate designs in Ex Machina are some of the most striking ever to be generated on film. Iron-Man's armor looks like it was created by Fisher-Price compared to the hardware that these guys are wearing.
A true marvel to behold.

2. The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi
I had heard of Zatoichi, but never bothered looking up anything about this long-lasting character of the East. I stumbled on this DVD, & found myself enjoying it so much, that the end result was multiple viewings with no diminishment in enjoyment. The movie, just like the series of an earlier time, follows the latest adventure of a mystery traveler commonly referred to as the "blind masseuse", who in actuality is a gentle samurai warrior who's lone wolf journeys could've well been the inspiration of the Italian counter-part, "Man With No Name" of spaghetti western fame. Silent, noble & despite his blindness, the ability to see with more clarity, not just the world around him, but also the will & intentions contained within the hearts of all whom he encounters.
A great classic character of the Japanese tradition.

1. Ran
Before movies like Crouching Tiger/ Hidden Dragon & Hero came along & added the artistically flair fantasy elements to these types of epic movies, there was Ran. Some of the most beautiful & grand visuals ever in an Akira Kurosawa film. The fact that his name was associated with this project guaranteed this film's sweeping quality. And, the added high budget seemed to compromise his vision not in the slightest. Instead, it seemed to open up the potentiality that Mr. Kurosawa had holding in his already abundant visionary dreams.
Definitely my favorite of his works.

I'll probably catch hell for this, but I've always felt that The Seven Samurai is a little overrated, and I've always listed Ran as my favorite samurai film (with the exception of the Musashi Samurai Trilogy).

Aren't number one, four and five Chinese films?
Yeah, I guess.
I responded to this thread more as favorite asian films without even thinking about it.
Maybe I shoulda "wikied" the films up before I posted,
but I probably figured no one would notice.

Thanx for the heads up. Fixed.

I saw Rashomon last year in my elective.i was greatly impressed by it though I actually didn't like it very much. So many of my fellow classmates left halfway. I stayed. I guess that's why you call foreign films foreign films, because they are so foreign to us, not only the language problem, but more of a cultural problem. Just take a look at that lady's eyebrow, you'll know. It's almost unbearable to see the camera following the man for such a long time when he walks in the bush, I didn't count the time, let's say, 5 minutes. Just watching him walk, this scene alone bored so many people in my class.
But this story carries with it some meaning, except for this meaning, i didn't find any pleasure watching it.
Saw a picture of the director of this film standing between Steven Spilberg and Martin Scorsese with words under the picture illustrating that they two are so happy to be there with him.
I was startled. He's really a big guy!
Anyway, I am telling what I feel, this is definitely not my type though it is said to be some kind of masterpiece

A system of cells interlinked
Unbearable to watch the man walk in the woods? That is one of my favorite scenes in the film, and it was ground breaking at the time. Actually, when films set up nice long scenes without dialogue, I feel the director has the most freedom to utilize their cinematic skills in visual storytelling. Did they study any allegory or metaphor in your class?

Actually, when films set up nice long scenes without dialogue, I feel the director has the most freedom to utilize their cinematic skills in visual storytelling.
I agree with you at this point.

Did they study any allegory or metaphor in your class?
No,we actually didn't study a thing in the class,but just watching.Had we studied, maybe better results would have come out.

I'll probably catch hell for this, but I've always felt that The Seven Samurai is a little overrated, and I've always listed Ran as my favorite samurai film (with the exception of the Musashi Samurai Trilogy).
I love those three films about Miyamoto Musashi . Have you read the book Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa? it's great

I'm a big Takeshi Kitano fan and I'd say Hana-Bi is my favourite movie of his, he just seems to get everything right in that film. If you are a fan of his and samurai movies in general, you should really check out Zatôichi if you haven't already.

As far as anime is concerned, I've also really liked Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. Great sci-fi story which doesn't require you to watch all the TV episodes to understand the plot.