Movie Tab II

Tools    

Originally Posted by Sedai
Bad Graphic. Not working.

Bad graphic for a bad movie. See my review HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
You can't hotlink to the IMPAwards site. You might be seeing the image, but the rest of us aren't.
OK.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
....bad movie
To each his own.

history *is* moralizing
Drop Dead Gorgeous, 1999, my third time watching this. i really dig this movie, it's funny and critical and Kirsten is charming. one may wonder how people using the word Jesus in all their sentences and references and "good Christians" and "proud to be Americans" in all their speeches can get that kinda humor. i guess my wondering's a consequence of living in a Sin City.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
its been awhile since ive seen that one, froggie. i saw it in the theater when it first came out and i found it a guilty pleasure. i think i would laugh even harder at it this time around so perhaps ill give it a go again... thanks.

A system of cells interlinked
Dark Water (Nakata, 2002) - I skipped the remake, and if this piece is the original, and supposedly better, I am glad I did! Not a great film. A few spooky scenes, but not much else...

Iku-Chan! Iku-Chan!

Dark Water (Nakata, 2002) and if this piece is the original, and supposedly better, I am glad I did!

It is! The remake was alright with some cool scenes but for some reasons foreign horror seems more scarier.

I don't quite understand why people rave about these Japanese horror films. They're not scary at all, they're just boring. And the American remakes are even worst (well, at least the ones I actually bothered to watch).

DEFINE the GREAT LINE
"schindler's list" & "Dogtown and Z boys", such a weird combination for tommorows double feature.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Dark Water (Nakata, 2002) - I skipped the remake, and if this piece is the original, and supposedly better, I am glad I did! Not a great film. A few spooky scenes, but not much else...

Iku-Chan! Iku-Chan!
Gah, I thought it was scary as hell... The original, I mean. Haven't seen the remake.

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
I don't quite understand why people rave about these Japanese horror films. They're not scary at all, they're just boring. And the American remakes are even worst (well, at least the ones I actually bothered to watch).
Scary or not, I think what fans of Asian horror appreciate, or at least many of them, is the tempo (which, yes, can be considered boring by some) and the fact that the films are often more complex than your traditional Hollywood horror flick. A lot of the times the Asian movies are traditional but updated ghost stories where it's not always clear who and what is good and/or evil. Often the ghosts have some kind of sympathetic feature or "are ghosts" because of ..ehrm.. understandable reasons.

I loved Dark Water. I thought it was even better than Ringu in some ways. Often when I watch an "ordinary" scary movie I tend to get numbed towards the end because the incredibly intense scare-the-audience factor. When watching, say, Ringu you almost forget that you're watching a horror flick sometimes because the actual plot is allowed to take a lot of space while the horror parts arrive more seldomly and unannounced. I think the Asian horror tradition perhaps (I'm no expert) is more about creating a certain creepy mood than about to shock. Even if the one thing doesn't exclude the other.

What I am critical about though is the way some people hail ALL Asian horror. It's only natural that everyone wants to ride the wave so there are a lot of copycats out there and far from all the movies are as great as some say they are. I saw a Korean film called The Ghost that did scare me, I must admit, but that owned a great deal to Ringu, and it wasn't very good.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I think the Asian horror tradition perhaps (I'm no expert) is more about creating a certain creepy mood than about to shock. Even if the one thing doesn't exclude the other.
I'll agree with that.

I tried to watch The New World(2005)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
This Is Spinal Tap... finally, I know what "this goes to 11" means.
Now I'm involuntarily singing Stonehenge...

Anyway -

The Snapper (1993, Stephen Frears)

3.5/5

My favourite Roddy Doyle adaptation (though I've not seen The Van in years) and my favourite Colm Meaney performance as the working class dad who finds his compassion and loyalty tested to breaking point trying to find out who got his daughter pregnant.

Sharp and funny with an early appearance by another of my favourite character actors, Brendan Gleeson. Complete with monobrow.