Choose a Favorite Film and List 10 Reasons Why You Like It So Much

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
This is a nice thread and I'm just bumping it up for some of the newer members.

history *is* moralizing
i'll pick Fight Club
cuz
1) it's politically incorrect
2) Edward is not satisfied with his life, like me
3) he cannot sleep, like me
4) Brad is cool and attractive, like me
5) they have a good taste for girlfriends, like me
6) it's a novel by the best writer of this decade
7) it has a great marketing concept
8) it shows some Free Fight
9) it gives us the occasion of improving our memory for great quotes
10) it's politically incorrect

I am having a nervous breakdance
Out of curiosity.. Not saying you're wrong, but how in your opinion is Fight Club politically incorrect?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott 66-04
KILL BILL

1) The reason I came to love movies.
2) David Carradine is a sexy mo fo.
3) The storyline was great, it just kept me glued to the screen.
4) It made me go from watching Teen Movies to watching Akira Kurosawa movies and many great, great, great moves. Kill Bill has helped me alot
5) Introduced me to alot of good music
6) Taught me that violence can be funny if you do it right.
7) The acting is just awsome.
8) I expanded my *ahem* vocabulary.
9) Got me alot better with guitar and bass, seeing as I loved all the songs in Kill Bill so much that I tried to learn every one of them.
10) In all, it changed my life.

btw/ I count Kill Bill as one move, seeing as it works better that way and I can't choose between one and two anyway.

GUMMO:

I like movies that not many people like or understand, or just think they are bad...

1)One reason I really like this movie is that it is oddballish. It doesn't really need to have a meaning to be good.
2)I like the desolate feel of the small community that is left after the Tornado ripped through the town.
3)I like the impressionist sociological collage type movie. What goes on in one's mind can be bizarre and quite entertaining.
4)There are some disturbing parts in the movie, some comedy, some drama, some violence, some sex, and just "huh?" ; I like that many genres are put in this movie.
5)I like that this movie is original. There are too many copycat movies out thier.
6)Korine uses the minority of the human race (dwarfs, blacks, mentally handicapped, homosexuals, "white trash") He doesn't make them the outcast of society, but makes them as one. It is not a true grasp, but what people view them as.
7) What happens onscreen is dumb, immature, shortsighted, crude, aimless, nonsensical. It is the extreme of the extreme that makes me want to keep watching.
8)The power of this movie, no denying, ...it is powerful.
9)This movie sticks in my mind. Not many movies grab hold of me the way this one did.
10) The actors are not mainstream.

Fortune befriends the bold.
I pick Braveheart and I'll tell you why:
1. Mel Gibson
2. Great love story
3. Great action film
4. It's epic proportions
5. Humor here and there
6. Beautiful women
7. Based on a true hero
8. Great script
9. Beautiful cinematography
10. Instant Classic

I think this film had something for everybody, an all around instant classic...I think. Have Fun Twist

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Tomcattwist
I pick Braveheart and I'll tell you why:
1. Mel Gibson
2. Great love story
3. Great action film
4. It's epic proportions
5. Humor here and there
6. Beautiful women
7. Based on a true hero
8. Great script
9. Beautiful cinematography
10. Instant Classic

I think this film had something for everybody, an all around instant classic...I think. Have Fun Twist
11. My brother was an extra in it.

i'm not pegging this as my official favorite, i'll never be able to decide on that, but i did really like Nightmare Before Christmas

1. Music was outstanding
2. plenty of trite humor
3. Jack kicked ass
4. good blend of humor, horror, action, and romance
5. Great casting for the voices
6. strong character development
7. steady and solid plot, that wasn't outrageous, stupid, or unbeleivable (given that it was a fantasy movie)
and i'll give you the other three when i have time to watch it again

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Trainspotting

1.Good plot
2.Very entertaining
3.Hilarious tagline
4.Hilarious goings on
5.The withdrawl scene
6.The dead baby looked like the dead baby in the remake of DotD
7.They beat the guy up in the pisser
8.The entertaining sex romp
9.The Sh!tty sheet scene
10.Ewan McGregor is hilarious.

Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

There are so many things I enjoyed about this film that it’s hard listing just ten.

1) The remarkable cast including: Robert De Niro, James Woods, Tuesday Weld, Joe Pesci, Elizabeth McGovern and a young Jennifer Connelly and Directed by the amazing Sergio Leone. As well as an AMAZING score by Ennio Morricone.

2) Use of Symbolism: The pocket watch, the garbage truck, opium, half- wiped off makeup on Deborah’s face in the dressing room, "age cannot wither her" comment by Noodles in regards to Deborah, "David" - the son of Secretary Bailey that looks so much like the young Max... etc.

3) The Ringing Phone sequence early in the film. So maddening in its repetition yet it works perfectly in arousing the perfect reaction from the viewer and symbolically delivering its message.

4) The fact that the film was 220 minutes and not a minute too long. It is the only movie that has been over three hours long and has kept me captivated and fascinated in every way possible.

5) "Noodles… I slipped" – young Dominic’s poignant last words just before he passes away are so perfect in that in their simplicity they capture his innocence and youth beautifully.

6) The Special Edition or Directors Cut release of the film is the manner in which Leone intended the film to be viewed. Apparently in some releases of the film the studio edited and placed the film in chronological order and also cut the duration of the film dramatically– and inevitably ruined the story.

7) The strong message that is conveyed after the rape scene where the limo driver rejects Noodles' tip and leaves him feeling incredibly isolated.

8) The message conveyed within the last few scenes where Noodle's refuses to refer to Max by his name and calls him Mr. Bailey.

9) My favourite line in the movie, in the end, where Noodles tells Mr. Bailey "It'd be a shame to see a lifetime of work go to waste.” And then turns to leave.

10) The twists and slightly open-ended conclusion to the movie that plagues you every time you think about the film. This movie, in my opinion, has one of the most perfect endings.

Bug Planet Proximus
sorry. screwed up post.

Bug Planet Proximus
Carlito's Way(1993, Brian De Palma)

My favourite adaptation of all time. Based both on the novel and its sequel, but it was how liberally and extravagantly De Palma improved on them that makes the film superior (a rare feat in my books).

Al Pacino's performance of my favourite character ever, Carlito Brigante. While not his best performance, it's just got something to do with how nobody but him could have pulled it off.

The best casting of secondary and supporting characters in a gangster film. John Leguizamo, Luis Guzman, Viggo Mortensen, Jorge Porcel and James Gandolfini just to name a few of the best 'criminals' in the film.

The cinematography by Stephen H. Burum is astounding. Every frame of the movie is truly beautiful and the camera movements are so effortlessy smooth that it becomes hypnotic.

Along with the cinematography, the music score works with it so well that it almost becomes an asset to the plot. The scenes were set up so well that the heightening music seems like a natural part of the movie.

The numerous upon numerous quotes. Never have I been able to find another movie that is so easy to recite word for word.

Sean Penn's performance as Dave Kleinfeld. Once again, probably not his best performance but definitely my favourite role by him. He changes into the character so well and seems so immersed that its a shock to beleive he only did the movie as quick means of attaining money.

Costumes and set designs. Even though I never lived in the seventies, I don't care if it wasn't as glamourous and down-right cool as it seems in this movie. I just want to enter the movie and become another character.

The 'cool' this movie gives off reminds me of why the gangster genre will always be my baby.

The chase scene. One of the best on-foot chases I've ever seen. What a way to end the movie.

"Never give up your friends, Dave... no matter what."

MEMENTO

1) INGENIUS story line
2) keeps your attention by going backwards
3) keeps you guessing untill the very end
4) kick ass twist ending
5) very nice acting by Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano
6) a movie that actually makes you think (but not too hard like donnie darko)
7) Christopher Nolan gets the attention of how good a director he is
8) the whole idea of going backwards so the viewer really sees what Lenny sees
9) a funny line - "ok what am i doing? chasing this guy. nope, hes chasing me"
10) INGENIUS story line

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Gone With the Wind

10. Leslie Howard - A very good actor for the kind of role he played. Often underrated and under appreciated I haven't seen him in a lot of stuff, but he has such a distinguished look and sophisicated soft-spoken style it's hard to forget. A style of acting that few other actors had. Kind of like an early version of Montgomery Clift in the way how both actors could say so much with silence. Paul Henreid could be another actor he compares to. I also thought Leslie Howard was great in Of Human Bondage and The Petrified Forest both with Bette Davis. Sadly he suffered a terrible fate being shotdown in World War 2 in his plane.

9. Great Matte Shots - I think that's what they're called. How paintings are used for backgrounds. David O' Selznick seemed to be a master at this. Long before blue screen and CGI, this was the way of going about creating illusion and a far better one to I might add. Just lends an aire of artistry to the film I think. Many of the scenes use them in conjunction with real locations giving the film it's distinguished look.

I'll post the rest of my reasons later. Bedtime now.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Adaptation

- Nicolas Cage delivers a brilliant performance and portrays Kaufman as one of the most relatable characters ive ever seen in a film.

- It has such an original concept, a movie about a man writing a movie, and writing the very movie that he is starring in.

- contains some interesting insights about life

- an interesting look at the most innovative contemporary American screenwriter of today

- manages to make you feel good at the end despite all the deaths

- Kaufman goes against his idea of a film with no great conflict or resolution and where nothing changes with a truely suspenseful climax.

- the last scene of the film is probably one of the most mundane ever but it manages to be a great and satisfying ending that symbolizes something greater than what occurs onscreen

- great dialogue

- redeems Kaufman after he wrote Being John Malkovitch

- Makes you think and wonder how much of the story is true

Adventures in Babysitting
1. Elizabeth Shue was cool back in the day.
2. I was a child back in the day. ooooh...ADVENTURE!
3. Chicago. (need I say more?? My city!)
4. They were from suburbia. (me too!)
5. They had this older chick who could DRIVE. (me too!)
6. Their parents went out to the city for this thingie (mine too!)
7. A typical boring babysitting day becomes/night (mare) from H.E.L.L.
8. They overcome it/have fun in the process.
9. They beat out their parents in the process (always fun. )
10. Everybody's happy.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

Chop Top
Drayton Sayer
More Gory than the first one
Grandpa
Nubbins (the carcas that chop top carries around)
Leatherface
Leatherface falls in love
The Ending
LG McPeters after being skinned but still alive
I know ive already said it but....CHOP TOP!!!
Chop Top - Her! Not me Leatherface you bitch! Look at what you did to my Sonny Bono wig doh..your gonna have to buy me a new plate cover, YOUR GONNA HAVE TO BUY ME A NEW PLATE COVER LEATHERFACE!!! Hehe...Dog will hunt...dog will hunt...WWWAAAAHHHHLLLL!!!!

Resident Evil

Milla Jovovich-need I say more??

ok lets go wid Night of the Living Dead
-George A Romero directed it, the guys a genius
-ZOMBIES
-a naked zombie (humor)
-good lines
-suspense
-still scary wid not alotta gore
-explosions
-explaination for how zombies came back
-black and white (always the best movies/shows)
-and ZOMBIES again!

A system of cells interlinked
Blade Runner
(Ridley Scott, 1982)

- The Vision: First and foremost, the incredible, detail oriented, layered vision of director Ridley Scott, who is lauded by the rest of the crew for making BR what it is.

- The Mix: The revolutionary combination of my two favorite genres in film, film noir, and science fiction.

- The Production: The combined talents of Syd Mead, Jordan cronenworth, Lawrence Paul, David Snyder, Sherman Labby (killer storyboards), Rocco Gioffe (my fav matte usage in the film), Dong Trumball, and the rest of the BR effects and art crew that bring this dystopic hades landscape to life. Constantly copied, and still unmatched today, IMHO. The Hades landscape, Tyrell's office, JF Sebastian's apartment....

- The Players: An awesome set of characters played brilliantly by a top notch cast.

- The Script: David Peoples is one of my favorite screen writers, and even though Hampton Fancer penned the first (still very creative and quite good) script, his inexperience in the field called for anothe writer to come in and tighten it up. The creative passion of Fancher combined with the professional skill of Peoples created a wonderful, deep, enigmatic script, with layers upon layers, upon...

- The Vibe: This film created a genre and a look that, as previously stated, has been copied dozens of times. No film does it quite like BR for me though. The radical techniques they used at the time opened doors to new film making techniques that are part of the standard today.

- The Score: Vangelis hits it all here. Bleak, spacey, wonderous, dark, tacky, and beautiful. One of my favorite scores ever.

- The Philosophy: What does it mean to be human? Why am I here? What is memory? This film addressed these ancient questions in a tech-noir method that had never been seen before.

- The Society: The futristic, over-populated society Ridley and crew created was a bit too real, and many felt real fear when they first viewed the film (Vangelis included). The bleak future of the human race shown could all too easily become a reality.

- Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty: One of my favorite characters of all time, and one of the best performances I have ever witnessed. Kudos to Rutger for this one....

Raiders of the Lost Ark
(Steven Spielberg - 1981)

• The Fedora - Coolest hat in the history of cinema. It's such a perfect fit that it never slides off of Indy's head or even obstructs his vision. And the hat accentuates the whip and pistol with a certain poetic balance that I can't even begin to explain.
  • "Throw me the idol and i'll throw you the whip" - My favorite line in the entire movie. It will forever attatch itself to poor Alfred Molina's career no matter what he does.
  • Nazis - The ultimate supervillains. The scum of the universe. Who else could be so evil and yet so cunning? They are the ultimate adversaries to face off against Indiana.
  • Karen Allen - She was perfect for this movie. And she had great chemistry with Harrison Ford. Ms. Allen is easily the best "Jones Girl" of all time.
  • R.I.P Denholm Elliot - He was an extremely talented actor, but also extremely underrated. His performances in the first and third entries of this series were fantastic.
  • Steve Spielberg - This guy certainly has a knack for creating classic movies, and this one was no exception. Definitely my favorite effort by a man who many consider to be the best director of our era.
  • The Ark - The Ark of the Covenant is shrouded by so much power and so much mystery. It is perhaps the most alluring biblical artifact the world has ever known.
  • The Boulder - The boulder sequence in the opening of the film is one of the most recognizable movie scenes ever. It set the perfect tone for the movie right at the beginning.
  • Harrison Ford - This is the movie that made him great. If not for Raiders, we might now be saying: "Harrison Who?". But we're not, because Mr. Ford portrayed Indy with such precision, that he is now considered a cinematic god.
  • Indiana Jones - The single greatest character of all time. Dr. Jones is an intrepid, suave, and utterly courageous hero. He is a timeless character who will never fail to amuse and amaze children and adults alike for ages to come.