Romance
27.27%
15 votes
Sports
23.64%
13 votes
Other (write-in/specify in thread)
55 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's an interesting "offer," the idea that as a consolation prize we just decide here and now to do the other right after. It would certainly be nice to just know exactly what's next and plan accordingly, have time to find a host, rather than spend a solid month picking candidates and then voting.

Honestly, now that you mention it, I'm tempted to suggest that should be the policy going forward, where the runner-up (or the one that loses a tiebreak, if that happens) is just automatically second in line. Really incentivizes people to vote even if they think theirs might not win, too.

I agree with this too. Especially if it's really close. That way we don't have to mess about with more polls and can get on with the countdown fun.

I'd be down for hosting or co-hosting musicals, btw.

Okay, my plan is to leave this open until at least Friday, and to take whichever option finishes in 2nd place and immediately make that the next countdown after this one. And unless someone persuades me otherwise (though so far no one has even objected), I love the idea of making this standard practice going forward, since the choosing process itself takes awhile and involves lots of steps.

And if there's ever a huge swell of support for something for some reason between two preset countdowns, we can just have a discussion and maybe do an impromptu poll for whether to push something back even though it finished 2nd before. It would just be a default assumption, but something people can vote to overrule if some special circumstance calls for it.

It's almost good if musicals win so that we can finally get past the voting charade, have the countdown happen, experience how bad it is, and then never ever speak of it again...except for those of us who will say "I told you so."
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Trouble with a capital "T"
Okay, my plan is to leave this open until at least Friday, and to take whichever option finishes in 2nd place and immediately make that the next countdown after this one. And unless someone persuades me otherwise (though so far no one has even objected), I love the idea of making this standard practice going forward, since the choosing process itself takes awhile and involves lots of steps.

And if there's ever a huge swell of support for something for some reason between two preset countdowns, we can just have a discussion and maybe do an impromptu poll for whether to push something back even though it finished 2nd before. It would just be a default assumption, but something people can vote to overrule if some special circumstance calls for it.
Sounds fair and logical to me.

Seeing how we can only do 2 countdowns a year, could we try overlapping them, at least once?...Something like this:
The 90s Redux countdown could have a shorter watch period (2 months) and the Musical countdown a longer watch period (4 months)...both watch periods could start at the same time, say like June 1st for an example.

The 90s Redux countdown would take 4 months to complete (2 months for the watch period and another 2 months for the reveal). The Musical countdown (4 months for the watch period and another 2 months for the reveal). This would have the Musical countdown starting a couple weeks or so after the 90s Redux finishes.

Four months to watch zero musicals...sure why not.
I guess you didn't read my post very closely. You'd be watching the 90s movies for 2 months then following the 90s countdown for another 2 months. So that when the 90s countdown was over, the Musical countdown's 4 month watch period would also be over.

That plan doesn't interfere in anyone's fun.

I stand by my statement. But if music focused films are allowed, films with a lot of music such as The Music Room, Nashville, or This is Spinal, then it will be fun. But if it's only musicals where people (and animals or candlesticks) randomly burst into song, well not so much fun for Harry.

Sounds fair and logical to me.

Seeing how we can only do 2 countdowns a year, could we try overlapping them, at least once?...Something like this:
The 90s Redux countdown could have a shorter watch period (2 months) and the Musical countdown a longer watch period (4 months)...both watch periods could start at the same time, say like June 1st for an example.

The 90s Redux countdown would take 4 months to complete (2 months for the watch period and another 2 months for the reveal). The Musical countdown (4 months for the watch period and another 2 months for the reveal). This would have the Musical countdown starting a couple weeks or so after the 90s Redux finishes.
I think this is a great idea and could work really well.

I think this is a great idea and could work really well.
Thanks Allaby. I'm just trying to be diplomatic and fair, that's why I posted that idea the other day. And too be fair if Musicals win I still think we should give my idea a shot as a lot of people want 90s redux. Call me overly optimistic but I think this world can be more about solutions than divisions.

I stand by my statement. But if music focused films are allowed, films with a lot of music such as The Music Room, Nashville, or This is Spinal, then it will be fun. But if it's only musicals where people (and animals or candlesticks) randomly burst into song, well not so much fun for Harry.
Including "music" films is the only way I'm likely to be even able to submit a partial ballot.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

Mmm... what about : The 90s Redux countdown would take 3 months to complete (1 month for the watch period and another 2 months for the reveal). The Musical countdown (1+2 months for the watch period and another 2 months for the reveal). This would have the Musical countdown starting couple of days or so after the 90s Redux finishes.

If/When Musicals goes, I think for the purposes of engagement, yes, movies about musicians, be they fictional or BioPics, would be included. I would draw the line at documentaries/concert films, keep them separate. Several of the best known made the MoFo Top 100 Documentaries list.

I started a preliminary list and I am already up to about sixty tiles without breaking a sweat. Going to be some tough cuts just with what I have so far.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra