The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
jeepers this is a massive download. I can only run it at night after we're done with our streaming addictions, but even then it's only about 30% per night! Here's hoping tonight's the night!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Adventure Starts Here!
jeepers this is a massive download. I can only run it at night after we're done with our streaming addictions, but even then it's only about 30% per night! Here's hoping tonight's the night!
Boy, dial-up really sucks, doesn't it?

You ready? You look ready.
Boy, dial-up really sucks, doesn't it?
nothing worse than when your parents get cable for a few months and then kick you back to dial-up cause, ya know, poordom. i got like 2 good weeks of Star Wars Galaxies before i had to put that dream to bed.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I don't think I ever really played many online games on dial-up. Played a lot of CD/DVD-based games back then, but didn't really dive into online gaming till we got broadband internet in the early 2000s-ish.

Not to brag or anything, but a coworker pushed me into downloading Baldur's Gate 3, a 1.5 friggin Gb download. After all this, let's hope my graphics card can keep up.
Yeah, the graphics. I've got 8gb of ram capability. That will play most games, not all as I still cant load up Last Of Us 1 on PC, but not at max level. I found out even Resident Evil Village is suggested 16gb of ram.

So I put all the games where they suggest 16gb of ram on the shelf and am focusing on games that 8gb rams suggested. Some surprising games like Death Stranding, and God of War don't suggest 16gb ram

But im still just playing Skyrim

It's fine. It scratches the Bethesda Itch, but apart from being new and just the type of game I like, I have to concede it's a lesser version of the Fallouts and the Elder Scrollseseses. The exploration thing is fundamentally different because there's far less discover "on the way" to something else, because space travel is largely cut scenes and fast travel. So "on the way" is more like "is there a ship here with an encounter once I get to the planet?" And then a few outputs and stuff on the surface. But it feels like a basic misstep to make a space game at all because it will almost necessarily destroy that "find things along the way to the thing you're going to" hallmark of their games.

Still enjoyable, though. It's not a major criticism to say it's not as good as those other games given how much I enjoyed them. I would like to see them take another crack at this in a sequel (in like nine years, I guess) where they focus way more on how to make space travel itself interesting.
Im watching Interstellar for the first time right now, halfway thru. Loving it except for the big boxy robot. Is Starfield anything like this movie? If not, what movie is it similar to? Just like any general sci-fi Star Trek type theme?

You ready? You look ready.
It feels more like Interstellar than Star Trek, by a fair bit, but it feels more just like a Bethesda game than either of those.
So Fallout in space? How original!

Baldur's Gate 3 finally completed the download over the weekend. Last night was my first attempt. The game looks GREAT. Voice acting and narration are perfect so far. The interface is a bit overwhelming, but I was able to figure a few points out along the initial tutorial area. Right now, my only issue is camera control and movement. It took me a solid 20 minutes to realize I could just click AND HOLD the left mouse button to continually move around the screen. Up to that point, I literally clicked, waddled, and re-clicked much like you do for Startcraft. I hoped for a camera control closer to World of Warcraft, where both left+right mouse buttons control the camera. My middle button is the scroll wheel. While it is totally clickable, I accidentally zoom in as well, which is just more confusing. I suppose I'll need to figure out how to rebind the side mouse keys for this. In time.... in time.

I had a friend walk me through in an online team. That was cool. The main problem that I ran into was that my PC BT would not connect to my headset. My other headset's mic died. All I had, if anything for a while, was audio. That was awkward answering questions in chat.

Oh well.

So far so good though. Sorry for a lack of detailed review. The night was mostly troubleshooting issues than playing anything, but I do think this game has a lot of potential. I hope to keep with it.

We are trying to stir up interest at the office to get a few guys to join in. So far, one that has the game backed out. The other guy has it, but it's on console. The third guy has no interest. We're seriously considering buying the console port to at least have three players in. One day at a time.

My last post was only 1 week back? WOW. Feels longer. Anyhoozles....

Baldur's Gate 3 Updates
Me and the coworker couldn't get the others to pick up a PC copy, so we both instead downloaded this to the PS5 as at least one guy agreed to play on console. We started a game last night and I have to say the camera controls via analog controllers are SO much easier than on mouse and keyboard. Menus and action wheels feet a bit cramped, but I'll take that all day to be able to see everything on the game stage intuitively.

We only played through just after the initial tutorial crash. I did die though. Twice. But I was able to rescue the magician guy from a weird portal he was trapped inside of. This was something one of the other players had not discovered, so I felt a bit vindicated from dying so easily, earlier. I also intimidated two NPCs from looting the downed craft. No idea how that will play out, but whatever. The game feels good on console. Graphics offer no noticeable difference, plus the download was only a 109Gb as compared to the PC's near 150Gb draw.

We are planning to dedicate a few hours each Sunday to group play. Fingers crossed, I guess. I may only post a few updates if anything interesting plays out with the multi-player game. Mostly, this is just to keep connected to the forums as life has gotten pretty demanding of my time this year.

A system of cells interlinked
My last post was only 1 week back? WOW. Feels longer. Anyhoozles....

Baldur's Gate 3 Updates
We are planning to dedicate a few hours each Sunday to group play. Fingers crossed, I guess. I may only post a few updates if anything interesting plays out with the multi-player game. Mostly, this is just to keep connected to the forums as life has gotten pretty demanding of my time this year.
Haven't had much time to game over the past month or so, but did manage to get a few more hours in on my multiplayer game (I am playing a Light Domain Cleric) this past Saturday. I think we are just about to finish up Act II. Too many great story twists and battles to really list, but will just say we are both still totally loving this game, and I wish I had more time to play.

Still inching along in my single player game (Multi-class Bard/Rogue here), but even slower than my main campaign, so I am just at the end of ACT 1 on that game.

Both campaigns are on PC, although my buddy does play with a controller there, as well.

Otherwise, not much else to report, game-wise. I did fire up Arkham Knight at max resolution to how things look on the new TV, and man, the graphics look amazing and the game is pretty excellent. I managed a couple sessions this weekend, and Stelly had fun driving the batmobile around and gliding around the city. The gameplay and content are too intense for a wee one, so she doesn't get exposed to that, but she has fun just running around the city.

The Case of the Golden Idol is my new obsession. It's a game Lucas Pope would have made if the Klavins brothers hadn't beat him to it. It's a murder mystery puzzle game that's sort of a combination of Papers, Please and The Return of the Obra Dinn in that you're doing something that doesn't seem like it would make for a fun game, examining evidence, as well as filling in blanks in a sort of Mad Libs style as to who did what to who, with what weapons, etc. I also love the throwback, early '90s graphics and the slightly tongue in cheek soundtrack. Other than that, the best endorsement I can make is that I stayed up until after midnight last night figuring out who sat in each seat at a dinner party.

The Case of the Golden Idol is my new obsession. It's a game Lucas Pope would have made if the Klavins brothers hadn't beat him to it. It's a murder mystery puzzle game that's sort of a combination of Papers, Please and The Return of the Obra Dinn in that you're doing something that doesn't seem like it would make for a fun game, examining evidence, as well as filling in blanks in a sort of Mad Libs style as to who did what to who. with what weapons, etc. I also love the throwback, early '90s graphics and the slightly tongue in cheek soundtrack. Other than that, the best endorsement I can make is that I stayed up until after midnight last night figuring out who sat in each seat at a dinner party.
I really enjoyed that game too, despite not being impressed with the look of the graphics before I started it. I too found myself playing way longer than I should have on any given day.

I really enjoyed that game too, despite not being impressed with the look of the graphics before I started it. I too found myself playing way longer than I should have on any given day.
Know what else was an enjoyable game despite not being impressive before you started? Journey. Journey was awesome. Or at least it shoulda been..... but nooooooo.