Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

BULLET IN THE HEAD
(1990, Woo)

"Today I saw a soldier kill a man and I learned something. In this world, we can do anything if we have guns!"

Set in the late 1960s, Bullet in the Head follows three childhood friends: Ben, Paul, and Frank (Tony Leung, Waise Lee, and Jacky Cheung), that flee from Hong Kong to Vietnam to escape from a rival gang as well as the police. However, as they try to make it as contraband smugglers in the middle of the Vietnam War, the three friends end up at odds with a Vietnamese gangster as well as the Vietcong, all of which puts their friendship to the test.

It is obvious that, after films like A Better Tomorrow and The Killer, Woo was trying to spread his wings a bit. The scope here feels more ambitious and the narrative seems to aim for more depth. Unfortunately, I don't think that Woo fully delivered on the promise. As hinted above, the film does feel like a bit of a mess. There is a bit of tonal dissonance between the violence and the drama, and the last act felt clumsily hyper-charged instead of being something more emotionally powerful.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

HARD BOILED
(1992, Woo)

"To you, I'm a criminal. To my mum, I'm a son. To the triads, I'm a hero."

That is how tormented undercover agent Alan (Tony Leung) describes himself to detective Tequila Yuen (Chow Yun-fat). This hints at the inner struggles of playing two different people at the same time, something which Alan has to deal with, especially if he wants to take down his triad boss. Hard Boiled follows the efforts of the two to do so.

After opening the film with a balls-out shoot-out at a restaurant, Woo slows down into what you think will be a more subdued and morally complex crime thriller, where the struggles mentioned above come into play. Instead, by the last act, our heroes are jumping to the side shooting endless bullets at a constant swarm of nameless bad guys as a hospital literally blows up on top of them. It is the epitome of excesses of Woo and action films in general.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

RENFIELD (2023)
I watched it to the end without rewinding. For the role of Dracula, Cage in this film is ill-suited, and Leslie Nielsen, unfortunately, is all. In general, it turned out to be rubbish.
You can't out-Brooks Mel Brooks!

By May be found at the following website: IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24105930

Children of Men - (2006)

Dystopian science fiction can get pretty depressing, but Children of Men is so well put together, and looks so perfect, that Alfonso Cuarón turns this into a cinematic triumph. The film feels even more timely now, with a pandemic that has disrupted the entire globe and the United States teetering on the edge of civil strife, an uncertain election the world is bracing for not far away. Refugee hate-mongering takes center stage in this, in a world where time is limited due to the fact that no new life is being produced - 100% infertility, and we're staring into the abyss. Through war and hate, a delicate newborn baby must make it's way - and I hold my breath the entire time. Initially, this film was too dark and full of despair for me to manage - but in the ensuing years I've been eager to see it again with an eye to how well made it is. It still surprises, and as I said - still seems ever so relevant.

8/10
It was a good film, with the story and action very innovative. It has one of the greatest long take action scenes in recent memory. I've watched that scene over and over. I started to attach that portion, but realized it would give away too much of the plot.

I forgot the opening line.
Bump it up an extra star you coward!

OMG I have to disagree with the critics. I thought William Hurt brought such depth to the Rochester. Charlotte Gainsbourg, with her offbeat looks gives us a more convincing Jane. Fassbender and Timothy Dalton are too dang sexy for Rochester. William Hurt is also a very handsome man but he has some miles on by the time he made this version of Jane Eyre and his character just exudes an air of sadness and desperation. Have you seen the version of Jane Eyre with Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine yet?
You're spot on with that assessment of William Hurt in the role - I haven't read the book yet, but his version of Rochester is the closest I've seen to what I imagine the character would be like.

Aww I'm sorry you didn't love this. It is so wonderfully gothic. Orson Welles had a gravitas beyond his years and played many parts he was to young for obstensibly. For me, every Jane Eyre needs to stand against this one. The script is stripped down a lot. I think it is about 90 minutes. There is a lot of story missing, but much of that story feels unnecessary. So much is conveyed through the art direction, the cinematography and the music.
I totally blame the fact that I'd just watched an adaptation of Jane Eyre a day earlier for giving me Jane Eyre fatigue, and otherwise I might have enjoyed this one a lot more.

It was a good film, with the story and action very innovative. It has one of the greatest long take action scenes in recent memory. I've watched that scene over and over. I started to attach that portion, but realized it would give away too much of the plot.
I marvel at the fact that the shot you talk about was planned and executed so perfectly.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.

By POV - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6417657

The Bridges of Madison County - (1995)

I didn't fancy watching this one, and my enjoyment of it stands as a testament to why I make myself watch films on my to-watch list no matter how I feel about them. Many a love story will go through the motions without moving me in the slightest, but this one dug right into my heart - it felt so genuine and there was real chemistry between Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood - he was 65, and Streep was 46. So wonderful to see a romance that isn't between two young, perfect and gorgeous empty-headed model-type Barbie and Ken dolls. Streep is incredible as Italian-American Francesca Johnson - she knocked that performance out of the park, and should count herself unlucky to have lost her Best Actress Oscar nomination to Susan Sarandon for her role in Dead Man Walking. Eastwood doesn't have as much range, but oozes enough masculine charm to buy the fact that this neither happy nor unhappy married woman would fall for him so completely in a matter of 24 hours. Did The Bridges of Madison County induce tears from me? I won't say. Great movie - great love story - deserved more Oscar nominations.

8/10

'War Witch' (2012)

Really good film from Canadian filmmaker Kim Ngyuen. A young girl narrates the story of her life as a child soldier in Sub Saharan Africa to the unborn child in her belly.

This has the brutality of 'City of God' and the foundations for 'Beasts of No Nation', which must have taken large inspiration from this film. An Oscar nomination is zero bearing of quality for a film, but normally it means the movie has a blu-ray release at the very least. Not so with 'War Witch' which is quite difficult to track down.

There are moments of real beauty mixed in with the bloodshed of civil war in the un-named African country, and while there is plenty of magical realism and 'did that really happen' elements, it doesn't stray too far from the central message of the tragedy of children at war.

7.8/10

3rd Re-watch...this Neil Simon comedy stil has enormous re-watch appeal thanks to Herbert Ross' breezy direction and a terrific cast, with standout work by Jane Fonda, Michael Caine, Alan Alda. and, best of all, the divine Maggie Smith, who won her second Oscar for playing an actress in Los Angeles for being nominated for her first Oscar. Smith alone makes this ride the pleasure it is.

Beau Is Afraid (2023, Aster)

I'll start by saying- I quite enjoyed this three-hour surrealistic fiasco of a film. As a major Aster fan, I'll start with where I'm critical of his most recent piece.

From the start there's a lot going on here.. yet somehow through all the craziness it never feels overwhelming and often on-beat with the humor. & while the film delivered several laughs for the whole theater (and others for a select few) sometimes I wondered how much comedy was necessary. I think Aster wondered this himself, as it often feels that this work rarely knows how seriously to take itself. While covering serious topics of family relationships, post partum depression, sexual ineptness there is often a childlike obsession of penises and sex. Almost south park-esque in its juvenility. It was funny- but perhaps it took away from the fear that was earlier so well captured

The film can be divided into three primary acts;
I: The city
II: The woods
III: The home

The first is especially sinister & intense, keeping a constant sense of horror, confusion, and fear. I was just as afraid as Beau. The Woods holds a similar intensity.. where for a split moment it may seem Beau has found a sanctuary. But suddenly the suburbs aren't any safer than the freakish city after all. At least Im the city you're safe in your bed

By the third act much of the fear goes away, and the absurdity increases. A few questions are answered, and some hilarious moments. Kangaroo court was an all time classic.

Overall I'd say this is his worst feature. Hereditary being my favorite & Midsommar in the middle. But with this being feature #3 Aster sure is delivering a spectacular filmography for all of us

-

I marvel at the fact that the shot you talk about was planned and executed so perfectly.
[Children of Men - long take scene]
If you haven't already seen it, there's a well done video explanation of how that long scene was done. You'd have to web search it, e.g. "children of men long take".

Beau if Afraid (2023, Aster)

I like Ari Aster except for one thing. In both, Hereditaty and Midsommar people's heads get smashed. And I found that I can not handle people getting their heads smashed. so I have one question for you. Does anyone get their head smashed in this movie? Because if someone does I am not watching it. That is my line in the sand.

Emily the Criminal (2022)

While I'm not motivated to do a full review, this is a well done picture, with a stand out performance by Aubrey Plaza.

It's really a contemporary noir. The Plaza character finds herself saddled with unpayable student loan debt. After toiling at a mediocre job, she accidentally gets exposed to a ring of credit card fraudsters. She decides to try a simple fraud, and is sucked in.

Plot holes aside, there's plenty of suspense as she gradually takes higher risks, and almost gets into hot water.

Theo Rossi does a nice turn as the grifter who educates the woman on how to fabricate and use stolen credit card numbers. Their relationship is prominent, leading to a rather surprising ending.

Doc's rating: 7/10

I like Ari Aster except for one thing. In both, Hereditaty and Midsommar people's heads get smashed. And I found that I can not handle people getting their heads smashed. so I have one question for you. Does anyone get their head smashed in this movie? Because if someone does I am not watching it. That is my line in the sand.
Head smashed.. not exactly.. but there’s a fair amount of gore

Judy Blume Forever (2023) 4.5/5

It is a lovely tribute and examination of the author and her work. I am sure many of us have ready Judy Blume's books as children. I remember when Are you there God? Its Me, Margaret came out when I was 8. i don't think I read it until later. I think the most salacious thing was she touched herself "down there" with a washcloth. Though that may have happened in another book. Still It is a wonderful movie about a lovely lady. There are tribute by YA authors, celebrities and some sweet stories from people who wrote to Judy as children and continued a long correspondence with her. it is on Amazon and well worth your time.