The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Avengers is great fun and a wonderful coming together of a lot of the great superheroes. Robert Downey Jr. steals scene after scene, which is fine by me. One of the during/after credits scenes with the heroes eating or trying to eat after their body-punishing victory is hilarious, especially with Thor chowing down as opposed to the others.

I really like Django Unchained a lot and love Christoph Waltz the best. I know Tarantino loves to spread his favorite music throughout his films and I almost fell over laughing when one of my favorite songs of all-time, Jim Croce's I Got a Name suddenly showed up as our two heroes were taking off on their horses about midway through the film.

No votes although I'm glad to see these two make it.

My List so far:
#2. Moonrise Kingdom #37
#5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri #44
#6. True Grit #40
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#11. Zero Dark Thirty #58
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

There won't be another Marvel. Happy to see Avengers as the highest one.
I'm surprised because I was under the impression that Winter Soldier was more highly regarded than Civil War. So I still wouldn't count that one out, but I'm still surprised it hasn't made it yet.

I'm surprised because I was under the impression that Winter Soldier was more highly regarded than Civil War. So I still wouldn't count that one out, but I'm still surprised it hasn't made it yet.
I thought Black Panther and Infinity War were more popular than Civil War too. When Civil War showed I thought we were in for a lot more MCU. I’m pretty pleased with the amount we got. Even if I didn’t vote for them I think it’s a good representation of the decade.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That's true. This is a bit of a surprise. Showing now would be even more surprising though.

191 points, 15 lists
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Director

Bob Persichetti, 2018

Starring

Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, Mahershala Ali

197 points, 12 lists
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Director

Céline Sciamma, 2019

Starring

Noémie Merlant, Adèle Haenel, Luàna Bajrami, Valeria Golino

Trivia

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Art directors Dean Gordon and Patrick O'Keefe and their team turned to Cubism to help represent the dimensional quakes. Cubist art often presents a collection of different views all happening at the same time, so it was a natural metaphor for the multiple universes converging in "Spider-Verse."
Portrait of a Lady on Fire - According to Céline Sciamma, the reason why the film features no musical score is to be obsessed with rhythm, to make the music arise elsewhere, in the movements of the bodies and the camera. Especially since the film is mostly made up of sequence shots and therefore with a precise choreography.

MoFo Reviewers

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

The originality of the film is the best thing about it I think. The multi-dimensional idea is so different and ingeniously sets itself up for infinite franchise movies in the future involving each of the dimensions. The idea that there are multiple spider-mans is fascinating and even provocative to think about in our own world - that idea that there may be other dimensions with the same things going on- time is relative, after all.
Read the full review here.

No user reviews exist for this film right now. However, I did find a few Letterboxd reviews of the film, so I'll link them here instead:

ScarletLion: https://letterboxd.com/smallclone/fi...-lady-on-fire/

Allaby: https://letterboxd.com/steveallaby/f...-lady-on-fire/

Thief: https://letterboxd.com/thief12/film/...-lady-on-fire/

I haven't seen either of these.

My aversion to anything that looks heavily estrogen influenced has kept me away from Portrait of a Lady On Fire. I've always had conflicting thoughts about Into the Spiderverse. My animation loving side has always been a little interested but my superhero hating side has always been very much disinterested. So far the superhero hating side has won.

I guess the guy who put avengers at his number one has to see Spider-Verse today, because I haven't seen either. So by the end of the day I'll have seen 47/76.

This is a pair that I think are pretty good, but find vastly overrated by cinephiles. I think the draw is that they are both unique compared to their thematic counterparts. I don’t find that enough to elevate them to the position they are in. This is a pretty disappointing pair for me this far into the countdown.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a pretty cool film. Gorgeously animated, thematically strong, and great voice-cast. However, I didn't feel it hit me as hard as I was expecting, based on all the hoopla around it. Therefore, it didn't make my list. I've been meaning to rewatch it, see if it clicks more, but either way, I enjoyed it, and I'm glad to see it here.

On the other hand, Portrait of a Lady on Fire was one of those I couldn't shake off for days. Not only is it gorgeously shot, but it is also beautifully acted. There is a patience to Sciamma's direction and how she lets the relationship between the two leads unfold, but also an organic chemistry between both actresses. A great mixture of beauty and tragedy, with a last act that packs an emotional punch. I think this was one of my very, very last cuts, and I'm pretty sure I cut it because I knew it would make it anyway, and I wanted to give more push to a more underseen film. So take from that what you may. I loved this film.

So, here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 55/74

My ballot:  

mark f

I couldn't find any ratings/reviews mark f wrote for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Céline Sciamma, 2019)
- 7/10

Pointed, slow-burn, sexy, gorgeous.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

This is a pair that I think are pretty good, but find vastly overrated by cinephiles. I think the draw is that they are both unique compared to their thematic counterparts. I don’t find that enough to elevate them to the position they are in. This is a pretty disappointing pair for me this far into the countdown.
That's somewhat my reaction to both films as well. I enjoyed them both, but I didn't love them.

Ah, here are two of mine at last. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is pure pop fun, my second favorite animated film of the decade and my favorite superhero film. I grew up on the Peter Parker Spider-Man (and it was nice to see him here) but the Miles Morales version is a worthy successor. My #19.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire was my #5. Beautiful and intense. The power of looking, and seeing.

No user reviews exist for this film right now. However, I did find a few Letterboxd reviews of the film, so I'll link them here instead:

Thief: https://letterboxd.com/thief12/film/...-lady-on-fire/

LOL, unfortunately I only had a quote in there but if anyone's interested for more of my take on it, you can check out these two episodes of my podcast:

Episode 18, where I briefly talked about it after watching it (around the 15 minute mark)

Episode 69, where I listed it among my Top 5 films directed by women (around the 1:15:00 mark)

Enjoy!

I agree.

Although it looks like I actually gave Portrait a very high score. Oh well. It hasn’t truly stuck with me though I do remember it okay. I feel like it had amazing moments but maybe not perfect overall. I don’t know.

Spider-Verse I’ve seen a couple of times and I just don’t love it. I feel like I should but I don’t. Also a slightly higher rating than I remember I see.

Well, both are really well made movies still.

Welcome to the human race...
One vote.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire was my #6. One of the few times in recent memory that I can remember being palpably surprised by a film is when I had to catch this at a festival because the film I had intended to see, Little Monsters, had unexpectedly sold out and I needed to find a backup choice. As it turns out, this became one of my favourite films of the decade and Little Monsters became one of my least favourite. Anyway, the film. Though its central narrative regarding the romance that unfolds between an artist and the noblewoman she's been commissioned to paint arguably deals in the usual conventional concepts of passionate romance forbidden by the restrictions of social mores and other machinations outside their control, such a tale is told with extreme cinematic verve. The subject matter also makes the matter of referring to each frame and composition as "painterly" a little trite and certain scenes are staged in such a way to invite that comparison, but it's a by-product of exerting such control so as to fully express not just the relationship that develops between these two women but also how it fundamentally changes them as people - a woman as worldly as Marianne can still learn much from the cloistered Heloise, for instance. They are not artist and muse, but collaborators on a work that will come to define them regardless of how much they are living on borrowed time together.

I've seen Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse a couple of times and think it's a reasonably fun and creative ride, though not something I think is quite as much of a modern classic as its reputation suggests. Still, I think it's good enough that I'm hoping it's the last superhero movie to make this list because I'm having trouble thinking of what else could come afterwards and actually seem like it's better.

Reply to Topic