Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Greed (Eric von Stronheim, 1924)

It is easy to see why the discussion of this film is always surrounding the mutilation of hours and hours of footage that von Stronheim filmed and planned to include in the film's release, because even what is remaining is absolutely phenomenal. I can picture a vision akin to Griffith's Intolerance, using performance and imagery across different timelines and cutting between these to tell a powerful tale of evil. Whether it's the sweltering image of the sun shining, or the intense anger radiating from the face of Gibson Gowland, there are so many terrific sequences that help to create a tale that's suspenseful and terrifying.

The Death of Stalin (Armando Iannucci, 2017)

The concept of combining humour with the story of the death of Stalin makes for some hilarious results with many laugh-out-loud moments but I felt that the film struggled to find a wholly convincing way to sustain its narrative for the duration of the film. Many of the jokes and actions repeat along the same lines, with the film never attempting any sort of ambition in the way it is constructed or captured. Enjoyable, but nothing memorable.

Castle in the Sky (Hayao Miyazaki, 1986)

An enjoyable Miyazaki film, with an entertaining story but I did find it to be a little long and overwrought, without some of the subtly and insightful world analysis contained within some of the director's best works.

Sense and Sensibility (Ang Lee, 1995)

This literary adaptation feels successful in many ways as it manages to keep the story clear and concise, with some enjoyable performances from the likes of Kate Winslet and Alan Rickman. Once again though I thought there was something missing, that there could have been more interesting cinematic ways of telling the story and conveying the depth of feeling and emotions. Everything felt quite straightforward and not overly compelling in its construction. Still, I thought it was decent enough.

A Countess from Hong Kong (Charlie Chaplin, 1967)

One of Charlie Chaplin's final films, this combines all sorts of elements that we love about the director with slapstick performances from Brando and Loren. It's an incredibly warm film with lots of clever scenes, with Chaplin using the sets almost as a character in which characters move in and out to great comedic effect. I have heard that people don't like Brando in this film and he's certainly more awkward than someone like Cary Grant would have been, but I don't think it's a complete failure and in fact, makes the film more interesting and even biographical in the way his character sets up an impenetrable barrier for himself that makes communication with others difficult. The whole thing felt like a weird mixture of different times, part silent cinema, part later Hollywood rom-com. Chaplin is always able to create feelings of real human happiness and sadness, and the ending of this film is for me one of the purest and most perfect moments he has ever captured.

The Last of the Mohicans (Michael Mann, 1992)

I really like Michael Mann as a director, but some of his stunning visual compositions can not save this film from being a bit of a mess. It moves forward so incredibly quickly, with big set-pieces on top of each other, taking so many tonal shifts in the process. The speed in which everything unfolds and the seriousness of the characters made it difficult for me to become invested in the emotional drama which when combined with action sequences and the music felt very full-on. There's a good film in here and as I said, I enjoyed some of the photography, but the end result didn't work for me.

The Man in the White Suit (Alexander Mackendrick, 1951)

An enjoyable Ealing comedy that looks at the story of a young chemist who invents a suit that can last forever without damage. The plot takes a look at the roles of labour and capital, without becoming too didactic, taking an affectionate look at the working-class environment and people of Britain. It has some funny moments, some warm characters and relationships and the plot itself is interesting enough to make this an enjoyable but not spectacular film. I felt similarly about The Ladykillers and The Lavender Hill Mob.

Parasite (2019) Drama/Thriller

I finally got around to seeing this one, that everyone had been raving about for a while. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, and was a very serious and intense drama/thriller, which I really liked. The composition was tight which gave it an artistic aesthetic without making it feel artsy. The ending was a bit of a shock, and I appreciated that.

star wars 9...and that movie sucked balls, like the hole new franchise.

Attack (1956)
Highly entertaining anti war movie staring the great Jack Palance and Lee Marvin
I recognize that title from checking out western movies the other day, that's by director Anthony Mann, right?

The Rise (2012)

Ok and passable Brit crime/revenge caper. Bit of a weak script and ultra-predictable but all the actors do OK.Timothy Spall pulling up the acting chops (a bit).

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Along for the Ride (Nick Ebeling, 2016)
6.5/10
Alelí (Leticia Jorge Romero, 2019)
5.5/10
Rising High (Cüneyt Kaya, 2020)
+ 5/10
Carrie Pilby (Susan Johnson, 2016)
+ 6/10

Something might be happening between Bel Powley and Jason Ritter.
21 & Over (Jon Lucas & Scott Moore, 2013)
5/10
Sprinter (Storm Saulter. 2018)
5.5/10
Automation (Garo Setian, 2019)
5/10
The Climb (Ludovic Bernard, 2017)
6.5/10

Young Frenchman Ahmed Sylla, with no mountaineering experience, climbs Mount Everest to "romance" his unrequited love.
Daniel Isn't Real (Adam Egypt Mortimer, 2019)
+.5/10
Different Flowers (Morgan Dameron, 2017)
6/10
Pulling Strings (Pitipol Ybarra, 2013)
5/10
Ghost Town Anthology (Denis Côté, 2019)
6/10

Lowkey horror mystery set in a weird and remote Canadian town.
Home with a View of the Monster (Greenlee Bros., 2019)
+ 4.5/10
Extra Ordinary. (Mike Ahern & Enda Loughman, 2019)
6/10
Some Kind of Hate (Adam Egypt Mortimer, 2015)
+ 4.5/10
Diary of a Hitman (Roy London, 1991)
- 6.5/10

Hitman Forest Whitaker is hired to kill Sherilyn Fenn by her crooked husband.
Frightmare (Norman Thaddeus Vane, 1983)
+ 5/10
The Ghost Writer (Alan Rafkin, 1990)
6/10
Rockula (Luca Bercovici, 1990)
5/10
Intruder (Scott Spiegel, 1989)
5.5/10

Don't work the overnight shift at a grocery store as a stock clerk - it's a potential torture chamber..

Diary of a Hitman (Roy London, 1991)
- 6.5/10

Sherilyn Fenn back in the day!!!

Shadow of the Vampire (2000) - 6.2/10. Another Youtube recommendation. I wont say its a bad film, but not amazing like the YouTuber made it out to be. Its definitely well acted. I looked up the folklore behind this film, and seems there isn't much to tell really. But Defoe's performance is really great and Malkovich is just, well, Malkovich.

Parasite (2019) Drama/Thriller

I finally got around to seeing this one, that everyone had been raving about for a while. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, and was a very serious and intense drama/thriller, which I really liked. The composition was tight which gave it an artistic aesthetic without making it feel artsy. The ending was a bit of a shock, and I appreciated that.

Agree with everything you've said here...I gave it the same rating you did

BLAME IT ON RIO
(1984)

First viewing. Underrated. Sexy and funny.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Marvel Comics Universe marathon continues...

IRON MAN 2
(2010)

THOR
(2011)

THE INCREDIBLE HULK
(2008)

THE AVENGERS
(2012)

IRON MAN 3
(2013)

Next up: THOR: THE DARK WORLD, CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2

No spoilers please!!

Next up: THOR: THE DARK WORLD, CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2

No spoilers please!!
This is where I gave up when I tried the same thing a few years ago. Started with X-Men. Then Iron Man. Then Captain America, within 20 mins of it, I just gave up. My patience ran out after the first X-Men, but to my credit I lasted another 5 movies and another 20 mins on top of it. But Captain America was a bridge too far!

I just don't get the hype with Marvel movies. Probably coz childhood was mixed with other comics. I probably won't rate any of them more than 5.5.

This is where I gave up when I tried the same thing a few years ago. Started with X-Men. Then Iron Man. Then Captain America, within 20 mins of it, I just gave up. My patience ran out after the first X-Men, but to my credit I lasted another 5 movies and another 20 mins on top of it. But Captain America was a bridge too far!

I just don't get the hype with Marvel movies. Probably coz childhood was mixed with other comics. I probably won't rate any of them more than 5.5.
Some of them are fairly enjoyable for the so bad they're good appeal. X-Men: The Last Stand is my favorite for that reason, but Logan also gave me quite a few laughs.

The Outlaw Jose Wales (1976)

I last watched this about 5 years ago. I had to watch it again because my memory had it right around the border for making my westerns list. It's still there. Clint is great here, as is Chef Dan George and the guy who plays the dean in Animal House. The action and one-liners are awesome. I just don't get Clint's love for Sondra Locke. She's an ok actress at best and she plays these characters that are supposed to be attractive and alluring, and she's very far from either of those. Fortunately she doesn't have a huge role.

The Road (2009)

Remarkably the first time I've seen this. Based on the Cormac McCarthy novel. About a Father and his son scavenging on their journey following a global event. They aim to make it to the coast for the temperature and hope to meet like minded folk without falling prey to the feral remnants of society..

Effective and dramatic but overwrought a bit of a real slog...I *did* "enjoy" it and the performances were top notch. Compared to the other McCarthy adaptations I've seen (No Country for Old Men and Child of God), I'd put it slightly above both.

Some of them are fairly enjoyable for the so bad they're good appeal. X-Men: The Last Stand is my favorite for that reason, but Logan also gave me quite a few laughs.
Are you talking about something from X-Men and Iron Man, coz if you aren't I probably won't get it. Coz after these I have only seen the Avengers last two. Thor i think I have seen, but probably they were so forgettable that I don't even remember. I only recall one of them had Cate Blanchett (ooooohhhh, that body in rubber!!! ), isn't that correct?
And I have seen the two Deadpool movies. And the Wakanda movie. That covers more or less all movies, doesn't it?