MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Much like a few people have already said, Psycho is a film that I appreciate a lot more than I actually enjoy watching. It's one of those cases where even people who haven't seen the film are familiar with it, since its dramatic moments have been parodied so many times over the years. It wasn't on my list, but it definitely deserves all the love it receives from its fans.

Alien was on my list at #3. It's another one of those films that always seemed to be on tv when I lived at home. If you didn't have anything to do, there was probably an Alien marathon you could watch haha. I think I actually saw Aliens before I saw the original, but it clearly didn't impact my enjoyment of the first one. I'm always willing to sit down and watch any of the films in the Alien series, even the weaker and more divisive entries. Am I the only one who likes Covenant more than Alien 3?

Seen: 79/98
My List: 16

01. this is clearly higher than I thought
02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
03. Alien (1979) - #3
04. The Fly (1986) - #10
05. Evil Dead (1981) - #13
06. you can probably guess what this is
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
08. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - DNP
09. The Innocents (1961) - #19
10. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) - DNP
11. The Descent (2005) - #40
12. Saw (2004) - #32
13. The Conjuring (2013) - #29
14. The Exorcist (1973) - #5
15. Ju-On: The Grudge (2002) - DNP
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
19. Mandy (2018) - DNP
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
21. Videodrome (1983) - #42
22. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - #25
23. You're Next (2013) - DNP
24. Candyman (1992) - DNP
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Alien was my #3. Not much to say except that it's the 2nd best sci-fi horror of all time. If it wasn't for my #2 film I would say Alien has the 2 best jump scares of all time.

And then there were 2. One I love and the other one.

My List So Far:
1. The Exorcist #5
3. Alien #3
4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre #8
5. Halloween # 6
6. The Haunting #43
7. The Descent #40
8. Sinister #76
9. Return of the Living Dead - DNP
10. Poltergeist #13
11. The Orphange - DNP
12. The Wailing #69
13. A Nightmare on Elm Street #12
14. [rec] #59
15. Freaks #55
16. The Evil Dead #13
17. Creepshow - DNP
18. Scream #18
19. Carrie #45
20. Event Horizon #49
21. Friday the 13th Part 2 - DNP, YET (maybe it sneaks in....)
23. Martyrs #47
24. The Omen #35
25. Inside - DNP

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. The Evil Dead
3. Alien
4. Scream
5. The Evil Dead II
6. The Conjuring
7. The Cabin in the Woods
8. Shaun of the Dead
9. Return of the Living Dead
10. Halloween
11. A Nightmare on Elm Street
12. Dawn of the Dead
13. Black Christmas
14. The Descent
15. Dog Soldiers
16. Fright Night
17. Ginger Snaps
18. You're Next
19. Dead-Alive
20. Get Out
21. Final Destination
22. The Ring
23. Saw
24. Night of the Living Dead (1990)
25. Stir of Echoes

Which means I only put one of the remaining two on my list.

Suspect's Reviews

Now all we need is a high school play of Terminatir 2 with real exploding helicopters and my life will be complete.

Alien was my #2. To borrow a quote from the film itself, I admire its purity. It's a no-nonsense execution of what could've been a complete and utter mess of an "elevated" B-grade monster movie and, if not exactly perfect (because what film is), it's about as close as any horror film is likely to get. I even saw it in theatres recently and it still kicks ten types of ass.
I would say that compared to The Thing it is a bit more "nonsense", the former does have some social commentary but its 90% horror/thriller where as Alien spends much longer setting up those elements. For meit works so well though because its handled in a subtle fashion, the idea of the crew as these impersonal careerists who then discover they've been sold down the river by that very system isn't something the film beats you over the head with, the same with the more sexual elements.

I like Alien a lot more than I used to, but only since I really started to focus on the second half of the film and the slasher elements. It's still not a favourite or anything, but I don't just write it off anymore. I think it's a film I'll probably like the more times I view it.

Welcome to the human race...
I would say that compared to The Thing it is a bit more "nonsense", the former does have some social commentary but its 90% horror/thriller where as Alien spends much longer setting up those elements. For meit works so well though because its handled in a subtle fashion, the idea of the crew as these impersonal careerists who then discover they've been sold down the river by that very system isn't something the film beats you over the head with, the same with the more sexual elements.
I would've thought that having a clearer and more concise approach to social commentary makes it less nonsensical than The Thing (which, for all its strengths, does not have quite so discernable or consistent a "message" as Alien evidently does).

"How far is the old highway?"
"You want to go out there, don't you."
"Patience doesn't run in my family, I'm going out there.
An hour! Or less!"
-Sam Loomis and Lila Crane

A secretary in Phoenix, Arizona named Marion Crane (Janet Leigh), who works in real-estate in, is in love with her boyfriend Sam Loomis, yet they can't afford to marry since he's in debt. After lunch, a client leaves a payment of $40,000 in cash which her boss tells her to deposit. After complaining of a headache, her boss allows her to leave work early. Once home she decides to steal the money and drive to Fairvale, California where her boyfriend lives. During a heavy storm, she stops for the night at a secluded inn called the Bates Motel. Upon arrival, she meets Norman, and has a conversation with him where she implies her current trap without completely disclosing her secret, and she learns a bit about Norman, his hobby for stuffing birds, and his invalid Mother. The real-estate company hires a private investigator named Arbogast to track down Marion. Dazzling setup crowded with intuitive depth to the point that it may seem too impenetrable to really sit back and enjoy for some. Due to overtiredness after work yesterday I dozed near the beginning, and then the film literally woke me up as Marion approaches the hotel. Finding myself more fascinated as I've sorted through the cultural spectacle that is this film. From its marketing campaign in 1960 which forbid audiences from entering the theaters after the show starts, to the uncountable harvest of productions that this film influenced, especially the hallowed slashers which are more reachable if less overbearing. How DARE Marion Crane delight in her sins like that, dialing up Momma's boy to fix her mockery of honest decency... Which unravels a completely different monstrosity of horrors. An innovative flip of script, from Marion Crane to a new lead star.

There's somebody sitting up in the window. No there isn't. Oh sure there is, take a look. Norman Bates, motel owner, bird-stuffer, matricide wacko who's lived in that house up the hill all his life, who's now hunted by private investigator Arbogast as well as Marion's sister and boyfriend, Lila Crane and Sam Loomis. The name Loomis was also used by the film Halloween (1978) for Donald Pleasance's character, the psychiatrist for Michael Myers at Smith's Grove Sanitarium, as well as Skeet Ulrich's horror-movie lovin badboy Billy Loomis, Sidney's boyfriend in Scream (1996). I got the whole story, but not from Norman. I got it from his Mother. Norman Bates no longer exists. He only half existed to begin with. And now, the other half has taken over- Now to understand it the way I understand it hearing from the Mother, that is, the Mother half of Norman's mind- He was simply doing everything possible to keep alive the illusion of his mother being alive. At times he could be both personalities and carry on conversations. And when reality came too close, when danger or desire threatened that illusion, he dressed up. Even to a cheap wig he bought. He'd walk about the house. Sit in her chair. Speak in her voice. He tried to BE his Mother. And uh, now he is. When the mind houses two personalities, there's always a conflict. A battle. In Norman's case, the battle is over. Thinking this won't be the last time returning to this motion picture. Imposing and foundational that I'm sure loves to hang out with Citizen Kane (1941) and Sunset Blvd (1950) in movie paradise. It's actually hard to treat these movies right inside the one day that they're presented. #7 for me here, my tenth and final film that made it on the 100.

"She spent last Saturday night at the Bates Motel,
it's right out here on the old highway."

Nostromo 25 Favorite Horror Flicks

24. Deep Red (1975)
23. Scream (1996)
19. Halloween (1978)
14. Zombieland (2009)
13. Friday The 13th Part III (1982)
11. Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (1931)
9. The Evil Dead (1981)
7. PSYCHO (1960)
2. Friday The 13th (1980)
1. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

"She Might've Fooled Me,
But She Didn't Fool My Mother"
-Norman Bates

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	PsychoSet.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	54160   Click image for larger version

Name:	NBates.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	54161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Psycho Ad.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	54162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marion.jpg
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	54163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Psycho Stab.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	54164  

Do I really gotta post the last two tonight,
what if I want to hang out in Psycho-land for a few days

trivia:
In 2012 Vertigo replaced Orson Welles's Citizen Kane (1941) as the British Film Institute's greatest film ever made. Hitchcock_Rules

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I had Alien at #24. I really like the first half but always lose interest a bit once it basically turns into a stalker/slasher in space type movie. It's very well made though and thoroughly deserves its high placing.

Still wondering about Little Shop of Horrors...

Do I really gotta post the last two tonight,
what if I want to hang out in Psycho-land for a few days
Yup, get on it

The Shining better win.

These Entertainers who gave me everything I could handle to maintain a satisfying level of insight and festivity to Horror films merit a lot of attention right now for stepping up to show off the movies they love for us.

@Captain Spaulding for The Devil's Rejects (2005)
@cat_sidhe for Friday The 13th (1980)
@Iroquois for Videodrome (1983)
@HashtagBrownies for The Blair Witch Project (1999)
@TheUsualSuspect for The Evil Dead (1981)

Send 'em your love

A system of cells interlinked
Well, Yods probably didn't throw The Shining any love, especially after he spent 3 weeks trying to convince Nostromo that Big is horror movie.

Mark only has slots open that are fairly far down his list...I am guessing TUS slots... The Thing at # 2...?

The Shining might get upset here, folks...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Nah won't even be close, too many lists I've seen with no-thing on them.