Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Little Caesar (1931)

+

I don't think it's a great movie but it is a great watch. The 80 minute runtime just flew by. It's the gangster story we're all familiar with by now. The up and comer takes over and then the eventual fall. This particular up and comer is played by Edward G. Robinson, and he's awesome as usual.

Unregistered User

First Reformed (2017)

I'll echo recent thoughts by UV. Visually I thought it was great, along with the unusual screen ratio, some of the shots I thought were really striking. Speaking of the screen ratio, I read it was inspired by the film Ida, which is a film I have been desperate to see, so I might try that next. Much is said about Hawke's performance and rightly so, its quite phenomenal, I can see him really coming into his own now after this and wouldn't be surprised if he carries on his rich vein of form. Regards the ending, I thought it was great, a lot wont and I can see why.

Really disheartened by all this "Hawke is getting good" talk, he's been one of the best actors in Hollywood for years. Especially in his work with Linklater, i wouldn't even call First Reformed his best performance as great as he was.

Unregistered User
Really disheartened by all this "Hawke is getting good" talk, he's been one of the best actors in Hollywood for years. Especially in his work with Linklater, i wouldn't even call First Reformed his best performance as great as he was.

I haven't read anywhere that said he's "getting good", I'd like to think that most people know how great he's always been. And I agree with you re Linklater. What I was getting at is that its great to see a serious actor at this stage of his career and getting the recognition that he's rightfully deserved. For the record though, I cant think of a better performance he's given although given First Reformed is my most recent viewing of his, I'm sure I can been forgiven.

No need to be disheartened.

I haven't read anywhere that said he's "getting good",
I have, which is why i guess i misread what you said. Apologies, still think it's weird that he's only getting this type of notice now by some, not you.

Unregistered User
I have, which is why i guess i misread what you said. Apologies, still think it's weird that he's only getting this type of notice now by some, not you.

None needed, I don't get much time to post so I just type without really thinking, so I certainly could have worded it much better. I do get what your saying though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I haven't read anywhere that said he's "getting good", I'd like to think that most people know how great he's always been. And I agree with you re Linklater. What I was getting at is that its great to see a serious actor at this stage of his career and getting the recognition that he's rightfully deserved. For the record though, I cant think of a better performance he's given although given First Reformed is my most recent viewing of his, I'm sure I can been forgiven.

I think he is an underrated actor, but at the same time I also feel that he restricts himself in his acting roles. I feel like the "Hawkening" is real as his recent output has been on a higher level.

Suspect's Reviews

I think he's been in a situation rather like Matthew McConaughey or Brad Pitt in the past were it was easy to few him as just being a standard heart throb actor and/or action star. To be fair I think he's done an excellent job with somewhat pulpier work he's often had and has gone with films like Predestination that have far more substance than expected.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Regards the ending, I thought it was great, a lot wont and I can see why.
The ending was great. Like the final punch in the face!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Great chemistry between Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman, those two make this movie. But I always end up yelling "JUST BE TOGETHER DAMMIT!" at these types of "casual" hookup movies.

Divergent (2014)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A Fantastic Woman (2017)

This film looks great, with warm, colourful tones. It sounds great, with a huge range of different types of music in it (Matthew Herbert!). It also has a winning performance from Daniela Vega as Marina.

The story is a little lacking; it is basically a showcase of Marina suffering a series of indignities whilst also suffering through her grief at her partner's death. The hostility she faces from his ex-wife and son are so over the top and it would have benefited from a little subtlety. She mostly just has to react to these and walk around a lot, rather than the film exploring her personality. There are some embarrassingly clunky visual metaphors involving mirrors as well that someone really should have talked the director out of.

+

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Mandy (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)

Probably one of the best homages to grindhouse horror and action I have seen. This is truly Nicolas Cage at his best as a lumberjack who seeks revenge against the cult that kidnapped his girlfriend. A visual trip into insanity in the best way possible. Awesome brief chainsaw duel to boot as well!

(That's right...I replaced the popcorn with Nic Cage himself for my rating!)

This movie may be the end of me. The fact that I know this is orbiting opposite the Predator, I won't be able to enjoy tP if I don' t see this first.

A Day at the Races (1937)

-

My fifth Marx Brothers movie, and I still like the first one I saw (Horse Feathers) the best. This was long for one of their movies at almost 2 hours, but it was consistently entertaining. There were a couple of good musical numbers to go along with the humor.

Hunter's Blood
(1986)

recommend by Joel for the B-Movie HOF... will rate at end of HOF