Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
crick, do you contribute fake new words to Urban Dictionary?
Looks like the word has been around for quite a while.
Lol I was serious.
What are you even talking about? Just drown deep in sleaze!
@cricket how many eggs are there in the film?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I saw Avengers: Infinity War (2018) today. It was really good. The central character of the movie was the bad guy, Thanos. It was different, interesting and was a very different way of making a movie. I give it three and a half stars (out of five). It would have received four or four and a half stars except for two things:

1. It really, really needed an intermission right after Gamora dies. Then, you come back with Thanos sitting up in the pool with the Soul Infinity Stone. That would have given a break in the action, a chance to refill popcorn or use the restroom and a chance for people to dwell on the death and wonder where the movie was going. (Intermissions are highly under-rated these days.)

2. It was the first of two parts and you know that a lot of what was done, of those who died, will be undone in the next movie (I personally expect a "flip" where nearly every character who survived, if not every single character who survived, will die in the next one in order to save all of the characters who died in this one). If this had been a one shot movie and it had ended the way that it did, without a forthcoming "flip" or "undoing" movie, then I would respect it soooo much more. The bad guys should win every once in awhile.

Putyovka v zhizn [Road To Life] (Nikolai Ekk, 1931)
+
So this is what communism sounds like

The People's Republic of Clogher
Nice try.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★
An evolution. Padilha values ​​the performances better, positions the camera better (in the first movie it looked like 'amateur cinema'), but he still does not know how to shoot action! "The Enemy Within" leaves the bipolar "docudrama" aside and becomes more cinematic.

■ (Atrocity)
Originally, I planned to (re)watch "Pan's Labyrinth" for F HoF, but Netflix withdrew the film (it was there until last week), so I opted for Crimson Peak, since I had not seen it yet. Bad acting, bad editing, bad directed, very bad script. An atrocity at every level!

----
That's make two atrocity in a row:
1993 - Cronos ★★
1997 - Mimic
2001 - The Devil's Backbone
2002 - Blade II ★
2004 - Hellboy ★★
2006 - Pan's Labyrinth
2008 - Hellboy II: The Golden Army
2013 - Pacific Rim ■
2015 - Crimson Peak ■
2017 - The Shape of Water ★★

So far he disappointed me. I'll watch Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy II: The Golden Army -- It's been awhile since I watched.
Mimic and The Devil's Backbone I'll watch for the first time next weekend.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

★★★
An evolution. Padilha values ​​the performances better, positions the camera better (in the first movie it looked like 'amateur cinema'), but he still does not know how to shoot action! "The Enemy Within" leaves the bipolar "docudrama" aside and becomes more cinematic.

■ (Atrocity)
Originally, I planned to (re)watch "Pan's Labyrinth" for F HoF, but Netflix withdrew the film (it was there until last week), so I opted for Crimson Peak, since I had not seen it yet. Bad acting, bad editing, bad directed, very bad script. An atrocity at every level!

----
That's make two atrocity in a row:
1993 - Cronos ★★
1997 - Mimic
2001 - The Devil's Backbone
2002 - Blade II ★
2004 - Hellboy ★★
2006 - Pan's Labyrinth
2008 - Hellboy II: The Golden Army
2013 - Pacific Rim ■
2015 - Crimson Peak ■
2017 - The Shape of Water ★★

So far he disappointed me. I'll watch Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy II: The Golden Army -- It's been awhile since I watched.
Mimic and The Devil's Backbone I'll watch for the first time next weekend.
Crimson peak is great...so is blade 2. Change your review scores now..........please.

Nightmare Wedding (Jose Montesinos, 2016)

Unlike most nightmares this one could send you to sleep

The Power of Christ That Compels You
Solo: A Star Wars Story - 8/10

Surprising. I thought Bette was Eve. Turns out she's a comic relief! Remember that face she makes at the ceremony, the very 1st time we see her. Anne is the main character here. Dramatic. Abit of a soap dish opera though. Still it's a great movie.

- All writers should be 300 years dead!
- It would do them no good. Actresss would still live on!

Tumultes (Robert Siodmak, 1932)
+
Nice but more of a fresh breeze than a hurricane

Creepshow (George A. Romero, 1982)
+
Far too little creep produces not enough show

Rocky (1976)
Dir: John G. Avildsen

This one deserved the awards it got aside from the nomination for best sound because the sound editing was too quilt work, even though there is something to be said about that. Low budget means creative looping. Maybe that was why?

Rocky is a tender story that gets some flak for being "schmaltzy". Well, if you think a romance like this is some kind of soup then you'd better just not even worry about it.

I appreciate this movie because it really takes its time weaving its story and the interplay between Talia Shire and Stallone is great. Burt Young as the abusive brother does exceptional work (even if he's just playing himself?), and Burgess Meredith, well..he's amazing, but can you imagine that guy being a justice of the peace?

Rocky II (1979)
Dir: Sylvester Stallone

I enjoyed this more than the first film, and I actually think it's a better film, if not a better script, which it really can't be if you're basing that criteria on originality alone (although even that got questioned and settled..ugh).

Rocky II tells the story a bit more, and honestly, if they had stopped here, I could see Rocky II being much like The Godfather II. Yes, it's a sequel, but it has merit to be. The continuation of the Rocky story has him earning more money and getting a better place, but it also focuses on more of the same tender romance that made part one work so well. The level of heartache in this film can be unbearable, especially if you've experienced anything like it in real life. Other moments of heart are visits to the enemy's hospital room to check and see if Rocky's opponent really gave him "his all".

This movie runs a bit lengthy but I didn't mind. It would have been a perfect bookend to the saga had it stopped right here. Instead we got the updated trendy Rocky III, which wasn't horrible, but contained one of the most indulgent scenes of dialog involving Talia Shire that ran about 2 minutes past its welcome. Not to mention the fact that it was an unnecessary film. But it's fun at the movies, so what?

Anyway, back to Rocky II. No, wait. Rocky IV was an awesome movie, but again, it wasn't necessary. No, wait. Actually, it was necessary. Imagine what world we would be in without it?

Rocky II was the last "real" Rocky film. All of the rest were cash ins, and to be frank, even this film was a cash in, but the script was good, the film was excellent (much better camera work, sound, editing, budget$$$), and the performances were all great, especially Burgess Meredith who should have won an Oscar for his portrayal of Mickey, exceeding his chops even more in this chapter.

Ask A Policeman (Marcel Varnel, 1939)

Smuggles some laughs out

Lucky Them (Megan Griffiths, 2013)

Viewers are not quite so lucky though

Good Night, And Good Luck (George Clooney, 2005)

Why checks and balances are important