Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Not sure if it qualifies as a movie, but just watched 'Angels in America' using my own editing system.

Some great acting performances, plus Mary-Louise Parker absolutely naked.

Wanderlust (David Wain, 2012)
+
Certainly made my attention yearn to be elsewhere

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Good Time

(Ben Safdie & Josh Safdie)

Someone mentioned that this feels very much like After Hours and I have to agree. There is a sense of lunacy to the elemental happenstance that Pattinson finds himself in. I was along for the ride from the beginning and treated to a shockingly well maintained performance that has me re-examining his entire career.

Two brothers rob a bank, but during their getaway the dye pack in the bag explodes and covers them in pink paint dust. Now with a change of plans, they try to flee the cops surrounding the area. During a chase, Nick get captured. Now Connie must somehow come up with some bail money to get him out. $10K short, his wild night is just beginning.

A visually chaotic piece, the Safdie brothers bring together an edgy narrative that likes to take twists and turns, finding new ways to put their main character in new predicaments. There is something a bit more gritty, dirty or visceral to this film than the typical Hollywood crime drama. Good Time manages to zone in on an area that makes it unique enough to be memorable.

Pattinson continues to try and rip apart his Twilight persona. I think he has successfully done that, with his performance here being the best of his career. I know people who are like Connie, constantly forcing people to do things with their desperate nice guy attack. You don't really feel threatened by him, but at the same time you're scared to get on his bad side. It's a performance that walks the line perfectly. He's so embarrassingly desperate that he becomes engaging throughout the entire film.

To say I had a "good-time" watching this film is a cliched, cringe worthy ending to a review. So I'll leave it at that.

Suspect's Reviews

Hell's Angels (Howard Hughes, Edmund Golding & James Whale, 1930)
+
Simply flies by at times

Based on true events, it stars Stellen Skarsgard as a warden overseeing a work camp prison for juveniles (Bastøy) on a remote island in Norway. Follows a usual prison film script (bad prison staff vs inmates) but it's very well done.

“I was cured, all right!”

Waste of potential. The film begins with a good premise, so it falls into the racial melodrama we've seen thousands of times in American cinema since D.W. Griffith. There is a sense of 'epic' in aspects of war that are never addressed convincingly, the friendship between Jamie and Ronsel yields the only good parts of this film, but unfortunately the outcome of that friendship falls once again into the cliché, artificial, and racial melodrama without density or impact.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

7 Guardians of the Tomb - Think Tomb Raider meets the scarabs from The Mummy only instead of scarabs, you have the funnel-web spiders. Definite B-movie fare but is actually not bad either.

Final Rating: C

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
John G. Avildsen: King of the Underdogs - 10/10

Great documentary on a great director who never got his due.. I think it's only available on YouTube (for $3.99)

Il portiere di notte [The Night Porter] (Liliana Cavani, 1974)

Internally conflicting

Gloria (Sebastián Lelio, 2013)

Bumping wrinklies and puddy cats made from lion snot - what's not to enjoy?

Lion snot is a Flarmuchian delicacy.
Purrrrrrrfectly correct Sir

You can't win an argument just by being right!
[

Bollywood movie rocks. (I am not Indian.)
And your point is? Is DNA a requirement before enjoying a certain type of film? I've never heard that before.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

+
Very interesting and original plot. The cast outstanding! McDormand and Harrelson had to played phenomenally characters. Rockwell and "his" mom - duo of the year. And my fav one dwarf - Peter Dinklage - he is genius!

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Beast of Burden (Jesper Ganslandt): Swedish director Ganslandt makes his international debut here starring Daniel Radcliffe as Sean, a pilot who is tasked to do one more assignment as a drug mule for a cartel. However, he finds himself conflicted with the cartel, a DEA agent who offers him a deal, and his long suffering wife. The film mostly revolves around Radcliffe in this cockpit juggling one phone call after another with beats of flashbacks that lead up to where we are today. Grace Gummer plays Radcliffe's wife and Pablo Schreiber is the DEA agent who offers Sean a deal. Pretty intense film.

Final Rating: a solid B

As a bonus, I got the op to interview director Jesper Ganslandt

Breakheart Pass. Charles Bronson is a criminal caught by a US Marshal just before the latter takes off on a military train bound for an isolated outpost devastated by a deadly disease. But it soon becomes apparent that someone intends to make sure many on the train will not reach their destination... This was a pretty solid and entertaining Western murder-mystery/action thriller with a good cast including Richard Crenna, Ben Johnson and Charles Durning. Enjoyable.