14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I have Mommy, Empire of Passion and Dom Za Vesanje left. I'm probably gonna watch Mommy tonight and if I have time I'll try to fit one of the other two in there as well.

Legend in my own mind
Yeah. Watched most now. Have a few reviews to put up. Am half way through Barton Fink and then I think I just have one more to watch.

Yam I saw you watched Mommy! We need a review to rejuvenate us.
I'll watch the two that I have left and then post all my write ups together

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Legend in my own mind

Empire of Passion (1978)

I seem to be saying this a lot, but I had never heard of this film before watching it.
As the plot of the film played out I became more and more intrigued.
I didn't really warm to Seki or Toyiji and thought that their reasoning and decision making was rash to say the least

The film was bizarre in places but overall I was captivated throughout.
I found the 'supernatural' scenes slightly comical at times but given that it was made in the 70's I made some allowances.

Some of the cinematography I thought was outstanding, particularly those scenes in and around the well. The use of shadows was also superb at times and brought about a real sense of eeriness.

The whole film was a a bit surreal and the interrogation scene amongst others had me laughing out loud although I am not sure that was the intention.

Surreal is the perfect word to sum up my viewing experience of the film.

A good story and a great idea wrapped up in a mix of strong acting, terrible acting, beautiful camera work and plenty of nonsense.

One of those that I will still remember in 12 months time, be still be unable to tell you whether I really enjoyed it or not.

Legend in my own mind

Dom Za Vesanje (Time of the Gypsies) (1988)

I have no idea what I have watched!!!

The is one of the strangest things that I have ever watched. I am convinced that there is a moving and engaging story in there but I couldn't find it through the ridiculousness that appears to surround it.

The story is about a very poor young boy and his family and it does capture well the hardship of their environment and the struggle of Pehran and his family.

The story of his struggle and the means he goes to to make things better is the basis of a great story and by that I was initially intrigued.

But...

The man, the tractor, the house??
The Goose over the fire??
The big argument that suddenly stops??

I tried to make allowances for symbolism, for Romany Gypsy cultural beliefs and superstitions etc, for art but the film crossed the line into the bizarre and just kept going.

I wanted to turn it off as it was frustrating me from early on, but I persevered out of respect to the nominee and to the process.

I understand that this film is really popular with many throughout Europe and therefore I may be the issue, but overall I found it painful viewing.

Yeah, tat Gypsies movie really drained me of any life energy if I'm gonna be completely honest. Seemed like I was stuck in a cab with a smelly breathed hustling stew bum that I really wanted to punch and knock out of the door while driving.