The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Love Starship Troopers, have not seen Videodrome. Neither made the list.

List so far:
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71

Starship Troopers is fun enough, I prefer Videodrome of those two but voted for neither.

Faildictions:
52. Voyage To The End Of The Universe (1963)
51. Vanilla Sky (2001)

Starship Troopers and Videodrome are both excellent movies and they both display a clever aproach to criticising modernity whether through comedy (Starship Troopers) or Body Horror (Videodrome).

Videodrome is my favorite Cronenberg (Though Dead Ringers come in as close second) and was my #11 with a rating of

Starship Troopers didnt make my list, but certainly could and i rate it

Long live the new flesh!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Starship Troopers - I remember when this film hit DVD and I desperately wanted to see it. My dad and I went to Blockbuster, rented it and the woman at the checkout told him it was really graphic, too graphic for a kid. So he said he was going to watch it first. The next morning he said that he didn't want me watching it. Not for the violence, but the naked women.

I was 10!!!!!!

I'll always remember that because I watched it a few years later and found it to be this weird mix of humour and cartoon violence. I was still young, so I assume a lot of the satire was over my head, but looking back at it now, I appreciate it as campy sci/fi. It did not make my list.

videodrome was something my friend and I watched at his place when we went on a Cronenberg binge. Just before it ended he turned to me and said...

WARNING: "Videodrome" spoilers below
If he says Long Live The New Flesh and shoots himself, I'm going to be pissed.

Then it happened, he stormed out of the room. Good times. It also did not make my list.

Suspect's Reviews

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Sunshine

Sunshine was tied with Videodrome in both points and lists, but Sunshine had a first place vote while the highest Videodrome had was 6th.

Layout: 1st, 3rd, 4th, 13th, 14th, 19th, 25th (x2)

Gattaca

Two 1st placers in a row! This movie marks the halfway point of the whole list. It wasn't tied with anything though.

Layout: 1st, 4th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th

Woody Allen is a pedophille
We are now officially halfway through the list! The one pointers will come tomorrow, and then we will continue on with the final half of the countdown!

Welcome to the human race...
Sunshine is good (probably my second favourite Boyle film after Trainspotting) but I didn't vote for it.

Gattaca was underwhelming, but not wholly without merit, I suppose.

Both Sunshine and Gattaca are ok watches imo, the latter being the better of the two, but neither particularly float my gravy boat tbh.

Faildictions:
50. It Conquered The World (1956)
49. Godzilla (1954)

A system of cells interlinked
Both these latest entries were on my list. Two great flicks!

So far from my list:

3. 70. Snowpiercer (2013, Bong Joon Ho) [74]
5. 67. Battle Royale (2000, Kinji Fukasaku) [77]
9. 56. Predestination (2014, The Spierig Brothers) [99]
12. 66. Edge of Tomorrow (2014, Doug Liman) [77]
13. 100. Looper (2012, Rian Johnson) [49]
14. 63. Minority Report (2002, Steven Spielberg) [87]
22. 68. Demolition Man (1993, Marco Brambilla) [75]
23. 60. The Martian (2015, Ridley Scott) [94]

A disappointing result for both, to me. Not because I dislike either film, but because I love them, knew they'd be on here, and really hoped they'd be higher. In fact, I'm kinda shocked neither was.

Gattaca was my #1 film. It was the first film that came to mind when I was deciding what to analyze to revive the podcast and it's probably one of my top 20-30 favorite films ever.

Sunshine is neither of those things, but it was my #3 film. We've got nine reviews of it, seven of which give it
or better, including mine:

Audiences have become numb to large-scale disaster movies, which often beat them over the head with the destruction of cities and famous landmarks. This has always been a cheap way to try to generate scope. Scope comes more naturally here, however, because everyone involved is too terrified to utter pithy one-liners.

I've seen both Sunshine and Gattaca, but neither were on my list. Gattaca was on my first short list, but it didn't survive the many cuts I made to it.

Seen: 39/50
My List: 6

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I like both, but neither made my list. I remember when the third act of Sunshine hit, I sat there thinking what the hell is going on. Was it enough to ruin the whole film? No, it just took a really great sci/fi film into a totally different direction.