The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

The Hidden

The Hidden and Strange Days were tied with 62 points, but Strange Days was on 5 lists instead of 4, so The Hidden Lost the tiebreaker.

Layout: 3rd, 9th, 12th, 18th

Strange Days

Like I said before, this was tied with The Hidden, but was on more lists.

Layout: 2nd, 7th, 13th, 22nd, 24th

The Hidden is a very good watch imo, Strange Days less so but still an ok watch.

Predictions:
80. Monsters
79. eXistenZ

A system of cells interlinked
I was considering both Strange Days and The Hidden for my list, but cut both in the end. The Hidden is trash, but it's a helluva lot of fun; I like the soundtrack, too. Strange Days hasn't aged as well as it could have, but was cutting edge at the time of release.

I don't think I've even heard of The Hidden.

Strange Days was the only previously unseen film I watched in preparation for the list. It took me awhile to get into it, but I liked it and wanted to vote for it. Ultimately, I couldn't find a spot for it on my ballot. I watched it for Cricket so I'm glad that it made the list despite not getting my vote.

I liked The Hidden, it's pure 80s fun and exciting too, wooho! you have got to see Claudia Christian in her assless dress.

My review with pics! of The Hidden

Strange Days
is a powerful dark sci fi flick, I liked it too.

That's now 5 in a row for me, a real oddity I think at this point in the countdown.

Strange Days was my #2. It's dark and exciting with cool characters and a great story.

The Hidden was my #12. I saw it at the movies, last year, and several times in between. I was my nomination for the Sci-Fi/Horror Hall of Fame, and it's just a lot of fun.

My list-

#2 Strange Days (81st)
#8 28 Days Later (85th)
#12 The Hidden (82nd)
#20 Seconds (84th)
#21 Donnie Darko (83rd)

That's now 5 in a row for me, a real oddity I think at this point in the countdown.
You should do a Top 100 Odd Coincidences countdown

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
WAAAY behind on this!!

Seen Galaxy Quest - hilarious, didn't make the list
Back To Future 3 - didn't watch, DON'T want to, EVER. This is a serious Jumping the Shark scenario, no thank you
Silent Running - Love this movie, been ages since seeing it, used to make me cry. It was #11 for me and my FIRST to appear on the list- WOO HOO
28 Days Later - EDIT: Thanks Chyp for catching this -- I said I like the first one better, this IS THE FIRST ONE, so. . . Like it, not on my list lol
Seconds - haven't heard of this but I am intrigued
Donnie Darko - like it, didn't make my list
The Hidden - haven't seen it since it came out, fun lil watch, forgot about it but wouldn't have made the list, anyway
Strange Days - great, great movie. # 7 on my list.

My List: 2/25
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#11 Silent Running (#76)

Watched: 14/20

I haven't seen the Hidden, but I will probably check it out. Strange Days was on my list, but fairly low because the sci-fi elements are not very prominent.

Seen: 14/20
My List: 3

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81

Captain, I've only been able to watch just a bit of that movie, and it's been a while. I like bad movies that are nevertheless entertaining, so maybe I'll give it another try if I can ever find it on cable. What cracks me up is that Sean Connery supposedly turned down the part of Gandalf in LOTRs because he "didn't understand it," but apparently understood Zardoz?? Okay, Sean, whatever.

Hangar 18 that I mentioned is from 1980, and despite a good cast with Robert Vaughn and Darren McGavin in it, is not very good. It suffers from being very dull. But, I got a kick out counting how many times Robert Vaughn (as a villainous bigwig) would say things like, "Let's put a lid on Hangar 18," and "I want to put a cork in Hangar 18" or some such. You get the picture.
I remember wanting to see Hanger 18 when it came out, but never did see it (probably because I still couldn't drive in 1980).

Just wondering, since I don't remember any sci-fi elements in Donnie Darko, can someone fill me in?
(I remember the creepy rabbit and the self-help stuff with Patrick Swayze and something with an airplane engine and something like a time paradox - the same that was used in The Last Temptation of Christ... where what we thought just happened now didn't happen... but I don't remember any time machine or anything like that.)

The Hidden is the first from my list to show up. I had it as my eight-pointer. It holds up really well and I have seen it dozens of times over the years, but nothing will ever compare to that initial viewing in the theater in 1987. Hadn't seen a trailer, barely glanced at the poster, my best friend and I just headed to the theater one afternoon to see something else. I think we were going to see the Ridley Scott pic Someone to Watch Over Me, but the paper had the start time wrong (a pitfall of moviegoing back in the day, before the internets and everybody having access to it in their pockets). So we randomly chose something that didn't sound like a kiddie movie that was starting soon. It was The Hidden. Going into it knowing nothing made it a lot more fun. It started off like a stylish '80s police thriller. A bank robbery, a car chase, a bloody shoot out. It seemed like it was going to be another movie like Lethal Weapon or Extreme Prejudice or Beverly Hills Cop II from earlier that year. That is until the hospital scene.

The Hidden doesn't delay the discovery of its genre as long as something like From Dusk 'Til Dawn which is more bifurcated in structure, but it did it long enough to make the Sci-Fi revelation delivered in the form of a slimy slug being barfed between mouths a cool and welcome surprise.

The sense of humor and tone throughout sustains the fun beyond the early big twist. I still love the movie and recommend it often, but that initial joy in not knowing what we were getting into has never left me.

My list...

18. The Hidden (#82)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hm. I haven't seen The Hidden. Might have to change that soon. This is why I like these countdowns. Also, they're fun.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Just wondering, since I don't remember any sci-fi elements in Donnie Darko, can someone fill me in? (I remember the creepy rabbit and the self-help stuff with Patrick Swayze and something with an airplane engine and something like a time paradox - the same that was used in The Last Temptation of Christ... where what we thought just happened now didn't happen... but I don't remember any time machine or anything like that.)
I am no fan of Donnie Darko, but that the vortex or wormhole or whatever the phenomenon is is not explained by a time machine or space aliens doesn't make it any less of a science fiction device. It is categorized as Sci-Fi on the IMDb, Wikipedia, and elsewhere.