The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
These last two are just an example of movies that classicists (old movie lovers) and lovers of newer movies (including animation) like but appear to be diametrically opposed. If you look at all our MoFo lists, there are always "odd" or "weird" choices on the bottom halves of basically every list. My two choices were obviously considered strange too. The original WotW is on almost every sci-fi list ever made, including our other one. Maybe I don't think as much of it as others do, but I've watched it at least 15 times in the 50+ years since I first saw it. Ralph is a very good movie and got the IMDb-"approved" sci-fi label which The Incredibles didn't, but luckily (and obviously) Brad Bird's The Iron Giant did.

My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
13. Altered States (#95)

Seen: 12/12

I've seen Wreck It Ralph once but I haven't revisited since couldn't really tell ya much about the film it didn't really stick with me. Most animated films I see these days never really draw me in and I don't really go out of my way to see them unless people are raving about them. I've also never seen the Original War of the Worlds.

Seen: 7/12

My List: 2/12

What's going on with the movies in this countdown? I mean look at the last two...War of the Worlds on a Sci-Fi Countdown?! Madness.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

War of the Worlds (1953) is the first from my list to show up on this countdown.

H.G. Wells' - one of the literary pioneers of science fiction - classic story from 1897 of an alien invasion put to film for the first time.
Groundbreaking movie making and special effects for 1953 and a film that treated the subject matter with utmost seriousness.

Amen to that!

I reviewed The War of the Worlds (1953) Review
If someone hasn't seen the movie and wonders what they're missing read my review.

I never spoil the ending or give away major plot developments. I talk about the films place in sci fi history. It's an amazing film.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Love Wreck-it Ralph but it never even entered my mind as possibly being a film that would eligible. And I've never seen War of the Worlds all the way through. I've caught bits here and there a few times but never start to finish

Seen - 8/12
My list - The Truman Show (#2)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The 1953 version of The War of the Worlds is a great early sci-fi movie, and it's far superior to the 2005 remake. I considered it for my list, but it's not a big enough favorite for me, so it didn't make my list. I'm glad that it made the countdown, but I expected it to be much higher than this.

I recently rewatched Wreck-It Ralph for the Animation Tournament, and after several watches it just keeps getting better and better every time, so it's quickly becoming a favorite movie for me. I was on the fence about whether or not it belongs on a sci-fi list, but I thought about the idea of the video game characters being real, and it reminded me of TRON, so I decided that it was sci-fi enough to deserve a place on my list. It was #21 on my list.

Seen: 9-1/2 out of 12
My list: 2 so far

16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Sweet! War of the Worlds made it! It was #18 on my list and, like Captain Steel, it's my first pick to make it. I love this movie. From the first time I saw it as a kid, I never missed it when it aired. And I truly need to pick up the DVD, hopefully the restored digital version Citizen spoke of. Already have it staked out on Amazon.

Have not seen Wreck-It Ralph but fully intend to...some day.

I wonder when Zardoz will show up?
I hear ya, Captain. I still waiting for The Green Slime!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Wonder how high Beauty and the Beast or Toy Story will get?

Wonder how high Beauty and the Beast or Toy Story will get?
Stop it.

I understand what you mean but we shouldn't undermine NOPE1172's hard work here. It's going to be a great top 20, I can feel it.

I think the top 50-70 on down should be great once we get past the silliness, and it isn't undermining NOPE at all, simply undermining some of the terribad votes made by some members.

Really looking forward to the rest of it, especially when we get to the big guns top 25 ish.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Toy Story has Buzz Lightyear....Sci/Fi confirmed!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Galaxy Quest

Galaxy Quest was tied with Wreck-It Ralph, but was on 7 lists instead of 4, so it won the tie breaker.

Layout: 9th, 12th, 18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd

Back to the Future Part III

Nothing interesting about this one. It was the only film to receive 58 points, so no tie breakers were necessary. It's also the first sequel to make the list, so that's something.

Layout: 6th, 9th, 12th, 19th

Seen Galaxy Quest but not for some years, remember it being quite fun though.
Don't think I ever bothered with Back To The Future Part III tbh.

Predictions (rubbish as usual):
86. Frankenstein (1931)
85. Outland (1981)

Woohoo!

So glad Galaxy Quest made it. I was worried it would get glossed over. That's my third now.

Doing well so far on the list...
Seen: 14/14
My List: 3/25

22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th

Love Galaxy Quest.