Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Daddy's Home (2015)
-

It's alright. I'm not a Ferrell fan, or a comedy buff. I'm really not any kind of authority on comedies. I avoid them like the plague and after going to see Dumb and Dumberer, I swore I would never waste money seeing one in the theatre. My "AFI's 100 Years... 100 Laughs" list is at 30% and will probably stay there. I laughed a few times during this movie. The trailer(s) summed up the best parts. Many other parts were just stupid. They really tried and I can see they are making a lot of $$$ with this comedy. I expect a part 2.

I remember this was a very good movie when I was a kid, but DAMN I was too young to appreciate the cast they got! Mia Farrow, Alan Arkin, Angela Landbury, Frank Welker, Jeff Bridges, and CHRISTOPHER LEE!

Now I need to revisit Flight of Dragons and my Rankin-Bass nostalgia trip will be complete.

Kiki's Delivery Service -
+

Have had this recorded for ages so i decided to watch it. Since it was off Film 4 it was Dubbed. In general i hate dubs and always watch it subbed if i can. This was actually not bad dubbed, but i imagine i'd like it a bit more in Japanese. The only characters voice that really annoyed me was the cats though so it wasn't that big of a problem.

Gorgeous animation as always with Ghibli and Miyazaki. Man some of those flying scenes were just glorious. I liked the music too, it was very playful and reminded me of Final Fantasy or something. Kiki the character was pretty great, she could be a bit moody and she didn't treat Tombo that well at times but she was surprisingly complex and for the most part i thought her actions were understandable. One very minor thing that annoyed me was the characters randomly bursting into laughter. It comes across so unnatural and it happens in a lot of Anime i've watched. Not a big deal it just seems to be a fairly common thing that gets on my nerve.

Overall it was a nice, pleasant, simple film. How Miyazaki managed to make what is for the most part a teenage witch flying about doing deliveries and chores into a proper film is beyond me, but it worked. This won't become a major favourite but i enjoyed it and i'm glad to have watched it.

Probably at some point but i'm not actively trying to i just had that recorded and thought i may as well. May watch the other three Miyazaki's i have left soon.

Well not everyone hates it. It did make the countdown after all (with five votes). The animation is good, but I hated everything else about it.

I suppose. It only got 5 votes though. Guap and that other poster who really liked Anime obviously had it as their #1 and #2. Not sure who the others would've been. You hate it, pretty sure it's one of Rauls least favourite films ever and i know there are others. The animation does look great so i'm kinda looking forward to it.

I suppose. It only got 5 votes though. Guap and that other poster who really liked Anime obviously had it as their #1 and #2. Not sure who the others would've been.
*Whips out notes* (yes, I still have them after two years) ChardeeMacDennis, Frightened Inmate #2, Guapo, Pussy Galore, Voigan.

You hate it, pretty sure it's one of Rauls least favourite films ever and i know there are others. The animation does look great so i'm kinda looking forward to it.
Yeah Raul hated it. I did hate it less than that K-On! thing Guap nominated for one of the HOFs though.

Yeah, Voigan was the one i was talking about. Forgot about PG i knew he would've. Surprised that Inmate did. I liked that ChardeeMacdennis guy but he didn't post much.

And that K-On! doesn't look like something i'd like at all either. PMMM seems to have some action and stuff so i think i might like that more. We'll see when i finally get to it. I've mostly been holding off because Guap said to watch a few episodes of the show beforehand since that is the second movie. I know i wouldn't have to and if i remember you didn't and you still followed it fine, but i'd like to watch it properly to give myself a better chance of liking it.

PMMM seems to have some action and stuff so i think i might like that more. We'll see when i finally get to it. I've mostly been holding off because Guap said to watch a few episodes of the show beforehand since that is the second movie. I know i wouldn't have to and if i remember you didn't and you still followed it fine, but i'd like to watch it properly to give myself a better chance of liking it.
Yeah, I had no problem following it without having seen the show. It was doomed to be hated by me long before I pressed play anyway; watching the show would not have improved its chances. Magical girls? Forget it.

forgot i had PMMM on my list. that's partially because i didn't have a lot of other animated films i like, but i also just enjoyed it a lot more than i was expecting. i kind of hated every other anime thing guap nominated for the hall of fame though.
criticker

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Don't listen to Miss Vicky! She's a Hollywood drone! Me and Guap know better. We know better...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't fight in here.This is the War room!

Four Lions (2010) 8/10

one of the best comedy movies i've seen.

the funniest line from the movie:

Fessal: 'Can I have 12 bottles of bleach please?'
Barry: What's that?
Fessal: It's a woman's voice 'cause... They'd want lots of liquid peroxide... So they can... Dye her hair or something...
Barry: And her beard.
Fessal: What?
Barry: You've got a beard!
Fessal: I covered it!
Barry: You covered your beard? How?
[Fessal covers his beard feebly with his own hands.]
Barry: So you went into a shop... With your hands on your face, like that, and asked for 12 bottles of bleach? So why has she got her hands on her face, Fess?
Fessal: [after an uncomfortably long silence.] 'Cause she's got a beard.

Blair Witch -

get [REC]'d
A generous rating from you, I would say.

I guess I'm around the same, though most likely with a minus added. And that's probably only if I'm in a good mood.

When The Bough Breaks...GARBAGE

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Four Lions (2010) 8/10

one of the best comedy movies i've seen.

the funniest line from the movie:

Fessal: 'Can I have 12 bottles of bleach please?'
Barry: What's that?
Fessal: It's a woman's voice 'cause... They'd want lots of liquid peroxide... So they can... Dye her hair or something...
Barry: And her beard.
Fessal: What?
Barry: You've got a beard!
Fessal: I covered it!
Barry: You covered your beard? How?
[Fessal covers his beard feebly with his own hands.]
Barry: So you went into a shop... With your hands on your face, like that, and asked for 12 bottles of bleach? So why has she got her hands on her face, Fess?
Fessal: [after an uncomfortably long silence.] 'Cause she's got a beard.
Saw this over the summer, GREAT movie and yes, very funny movie.

Nice Guys
Had been hyped to see this since I first saw the trailer last year and it did not disappoint.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock (Japan) (2013) Computer Graphics:
Storyline:

The graphics would have been a solid 5 but some of the costumes seemed to have that old problem of looking more like a body mold than actual fabric that plagued early computer graphics WAAAY back in the day.
Scarcely remember the original series from my late teens/early twenties, but from my understanding they did a lousy job staying true to the original series (but then, who does, really?). Still, I'd echo one review I read when they stated they could have took some of the cash used for graphics and upped the story a bit. It really made it hard to make it through to the end.

I think I'll go find me an old version from the eighties or nineties and watch that