Movie Tab II

Tools    

I didn't remember actually, but I had a feeling you probably did. I think I will probably steer clear. I haven't seen the original in a few years, I think I would rather just give that another look. I remember it fondly.

So you think Smile is a better film than A Streetcar named Desire?
When you watch that, yеа,
but this two films are not worthy to be compared.
Don’t mix apples and oranges
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

You've been here nearly a year Banality? Damn, keep posting pretty sure you'll be my favourite member soon.
Yeah I love Banality so far. Don't love his Knock Knock score though, makes me feel like I'm an ijit for liking the film.

Yeah I love Banality so far. Don't love his Knock Knock score though, makes me feel like I'm an ijit for liking the film.
The type of film Knock Knock is or tries to be, is rarely one that I find myself liking... hating is more like it.

Nevertheless, I really dug Knock Knock and gave it a 3.5 I thought it was rather awesome

The type of film Knock Knock is or tries to be, is rarely one that I find myself liking... hating is more like it.

Nevertheless, I really dug Knock Knock and gave it a 3.5 I thought it was rather awesome

before i wake

Here are all the films I liked among those I've seen in the last 2 or 3 months. I won't comment on each film, but if you have question about my appreciation of a particular film I'll answer!

The Human Condition (1959, 60, 61 Masaki Kobayashi)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951 Robert Wise)
Exotica (1994 Atom Egoyan)
Léolo (1992 Jean-Claude Lauzon)
La Maman et la Putain (1973 Jean Eustache)
+++
Taxi (2015 Jafar Panahi)
Sholay (1975 Ramesh Sippy)
Lone Star (1996 John Sayles)
The Haunting (1963 Robert Wise)
West Side Story (1962 Robert Wise)
Firs Blood (1982 Ted Kotcheff)
Sleuth (1972 Joseph L Mankiewicz)
Une Femme est une Femme (1961 Jean-Luc Godard)
Close-up (1990 Abbas Kiarostami)

Pierrot le Fou (1965 Jean-Luc Godard)
Alphaville (1966 Jean-Luc Godard)
La Notte (1961 Michelangelo Antonioni)
L'eclisse (1962 Michelangelo Antonioni)
Fist of Legend (1994 Gordon Chan)
Children's Hour (1961 Wiliam Wyler)
The Asphalt Jungle (1950 John Huston)
The Big Red One (1980 Samuel Fuller)
+++
Into the Abyss (2011 Werner Herzog)
Hot Tub Time Machine (2010 Steve Pink)
Thief (1981 Michael Mann)
Gangs of New-York (2002 Martin Scorsase)
Fast Time at Ridgemont High (1982 Amy Heckerling)
Frost/Nixon (2008 Ron Howard)
Eastern Promises (2007 David Cronenberg)
Husbands and Wives (1992 Woody Allen)
Not One Less (1999 Yimou Zhang)
The Message (1977 Mustapha Akkad)

Finding Dory

Hugely entertaining and an awesome movie to see on the big screen. It won't hold up like the original, but this was the best time I've had at the theater since Mad Max last year.

The Invitation

The Invitation's strong direction and editing just can't overcome it's abysmal writing and hammy performances. The premise is interesting enough, dude gets invited to a creepy dinner party, but this script just comes off like a bad fan-fiction.

John Carroll Lynch lends a refreshing air of authenticity to this obnoxiously fake production.

Always (1989)

Lesser Spielberg for me but that makes it watchable and very entertaining in parts. The character of Ted pretty much kills the second half of this one.

The Bridge Over The River Kwai (1957)

This was a re-watch that had to be done for the 50's list because it had been so long. Very good film with some great performances. I really like the finale. I had forgot some plot details so I am glad I gave it another go.

Dogtooth (2009)

Sometimes I can get on board with something that is so deliberately unpleasant, sometimes I can't. Probably can't here because of the clinical nature of the storytelling. Interesting concept thematically that will probably get me to see more of his work. This one was way too cold for me though.

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

I suppose that the novelty of mixing two genres made this a hidden gem for a lot of people. I thought it was very poorly directed. Over bearing score, plot holes, and a cringe worthy third act.

45 Years (2015)

For a quiet film that centers around two people who spend much of the time at home, this movie has stunning cinematography. One of the best of the last couple years in that respect. Engaging story with a great finale.

13 Hours (2016)

Not very good from a character standpoint but I really like the tactical action in this and there is a ton of it. Bay is kind of appalling to me but I can't deny that outside of the Transformer sequels I find his movies watchable. Not high praise, but kind of is when you use the word appalling. I just feel his visual flourishes border on offensive.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

New Favorite Alert: This movie is tremendous. If you have followed my ratings at all the last three years then you know stage play adaptations usually hit my sweet spots. Great writing and rich characters. This may be the most thematically rich movie I have ever seen, which makes me very anxious to watch it again. Brando is astounding. Don't know how well loved it is around here but I hope it places very high on the upcoming 50's list.

Care for some gopher?
The Grapes of Wrath (John Ford, 1940) -

Raghs dar ghobar Dancing in the Dust (Asghar Farhadi, 2003) -

Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965) -

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965) -
I'm repulsed by this rating.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Care for some gopher?
Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011) -
+
Murder By Death (Robert Moore, 1976) -

Shrek (Andrew Adamson/Vicky Jenson, 2001) -
+