Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

If I had more time I would be able to put down a few words on how much I loved this. It feels like Wilder teamed up with Hitch and came out with this and its near damn perfect. Plus Charles Laughton was simply born for his role. Its a matter of where and not if this places in the 50's countdown.

+

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

And then, as I finish the refrain; thrust home.

(COUNTLESS REWATCH) Cyrano de Beregerac (1950)
A top 10 favorite of mine with Mel Ferrer as Cyrano. FRICKIN BRAVO

Immortals
+ while caring very little for it when it first came out, I actually found myself enjoying it this time around. . .

National Lampoon: Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead
a great,nostalgic documentary about the magazine, its growth and eventual demise. VERY enjoyable to someone who remembers that time and the mag.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Le Samourai - 7/10

Good thriller. Reminded me a little bit of Bresson's "Pickpocket". Being a suspenseful movie, I'll leave out details.

I'd like to thank Gunslinger and the other people on here to recommend it. I've been meaning to see it for a year!

Krampus (2015)
Its decent effort to insert relatable characters and familial themes is unfortunately shadowed by trite horror tropes... and a string of out-of-place Chucky wannabes. The creature design is worth some praise, I suppose, but nothing special.

Shame that the animated portion of this movie couldn't have been stretched out longer. The tragedy told in clay animation hearkens back to classic Christmas movies like Frosty and Rudolph, and it gives the appropriate melancholy and creepiness the film sorely needs. Because this so-called horror comedy? It's not really that funny at all, save a few witty lines messily thrown in from the cutting room.

The twist ending perhaps resonates the major flaw of the film - it has potential to be creepy and even haunting, but it just can't help itself from spoiling Christmas with cheap jump scares.

Care for some gopher?
Wall-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008) -

My favourite Pixar movie.

I have to return some videotapes...
Cloverfield (2006) - Matt Reeves

A group of friends venture deep into the streets of New York on a rescue mission during a rampaging monster attack. This film can be broken down very simply, great concept with terrible execution. The acting in this is awful for the most part aside from T.J. Miller who does what he can with the lines he is given and Odette Annable who I always find to be charming in these smaller roles. This film isn't all bad just a lot of it is hard to watch especially since most of it is just people running in smoke. The first 30 minutes is the bulk of the film were I actually found myself enjoying what was going on. After that though there isn't really much to salvage this besides a couple money shots here and there.
WARNING: "major" spoilers below
One of my huge gripes with this film is the deaths are to underplayed. When Jason dies on the bridge his brother could hardly give a **** and cares more about finding a girl that he had a random fling with a couple weeks prior. They do say how he has always loved her, but you don't get the sense they have been long time friends.
To add the acting is also horrible in the scene and the motivation by the group to go find Beth is completely unbelievable. Pretty much everything that happens after the first 30 is unbelievable to be honest. The writing is also filled with jokes during the most tense times and doesn't make much sense how a logical human being could be cracking jokes when a deadly monster is lunging towards him. The ending to this film leaves so much to be desired and is just kind of a cop out. Overall, this is a waste of time and if your going in for just the concept alone don't expect much.

+

Master of My Domain
The Big Sleep (Hawks, 1946)

The Big Sleep is an adaptation of Raymond Chandler's novel, and therefore several changes can be noticed throughout the film. Some of them I liked (the cutting of unnecessary scenes and plot holes), some of them I didn't buy (the romance between Bogart and Bacall - looks like it was put in just so people could see two big Hollywood stars have a romance). Overall a nice noir that knows how to tell a story, but there's nothing surprising about its narrative.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have to ask a couple of questions to clarify what you wrote. You liked the plot holes or you like that they cut them out? You thought that Bogart shouldn't have a "romance" with Bacall?What makes her any different than Martha Vickers and Dorothy Malone who both oozed sex for Marlowe?

What makes her any different than Martha Vickers and Dorothy Malone who both oozed sex for Marlowe?
What they did in their private life is they're own business.

Endless Love (2014):

It is a complete betrayal of the book, where the entire point was that endless love is a creepy stalker concept that is horrifying in reality, while the movie glorifies the idea as romantic, trying to justify David's actions and vilify Jade's father at every possible turn. As a film it's alright, a cliched romance (Romeo and Juliet) with some solid chemistry between the leads. It's so lightweight in this version. The book was memorable, edgy, and a realistic adaptation of young love. The film is bland, safe, and Hollywood-ized, meant more for preteens than people the age of the characters. It's a better movie than the 1981 version, but also much less faithful to the source material.

Winter's Bone (2010)

A bit disappointed with this one after I heard so much praise for it. Just thought it was pretty boring and it didn't seem like much had happened when it ended. The movie is pretty much just a series of conversations with drugged-up Ozark hillbillies. I'll give some props to Jennifer Lawrence though, she was decent in it.

The Sting (1973)

This film was amazing. This is my third George Roy Hill and it just seems like his films are so easy to watch and are very entertaining. Newman and Redford are one of the greatest screen duos in history; they were amazing in Butch Cassidy and equally so in this one. At several points in this movie I was completely taken by surprise at the plot twists. Not just one mind you, but a few of them, the ending especially. Everything was so well-made, just an excellent movie all around.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Pride

A group of homosexuals in London in the 80's decide to support striking miners from Wales, all while dealing with rising hostility from family, friends and those miners they want to help.

A strong film with heartwarming performances from most of the key players. Pride is a lot of good natured fun with depressingly sad elements that brings a sense of realism to the story. Based on a true story from the 80's, the constant support despite the struggle is inspiring to some degree. I laughed, I teared up and I admired a lot of elements to this film, which many people probably haven't even heard of. It's a small little production that many people won't give a second glance to. Heck, a lot of people will probably forget about the film after they watch it, yet I found myself touched by the people willing to stand side by side against oppression by the time the credits rolled.

Tales of Halloween

On the opposite side of things, we have Tales of Halloween an ABC's of Death styled horror film in which several different directors get their chance at directing a short segment that 'must' deal with Halloween.

Recognizable names like Neil Marshal of Dog Soldiers and The Descent, along with Lucky Mckee of May fame lend their names to the film. The segments and their respective directors are listed at the beginning of the film, not in between each one. So it was easy to lose track of which segment was what. None of the stories are interestingly scary and rely heavily on gore. Unlike ABC's of Death there is nothing shocking here. There is no envelope pushing and the film feels juvenile in the safest way possible. Yes, people lose their heads, guts are spewed and other gross things, but nothing in this film holds a candle to what the sick minds behind ABC's of Death conjure up. I'm not even that big a fan of those movies.

If you want to see a better Halloween "Anthology" film, stick with Trick or Treat, at least those stories are somewhat connected and offer the viewer interesting visuals to watch. This film despite some of the talent behind it, falls flat.

Master of My Domain
I have to ask a couple of questions to clarify what you wrote. You liked the plot holes or you like that they cut them out? You thought that Bogart shouldn't have a "romance" with Bacall?What makes her any different than Martha Vickers and Dorothy Malone who both oozed sex for Marlowe?
I like that they cut them out, obviously. And I wasn't "against" the two main characters fall in love with each other, I just found it to be unconvincing. Bacall isn't any different than the other two, which why she should have remained as a strong female character who helps Marlowe along the way.

Sleepy Hollow
A rather bloodless Burton film filled with sentimentality and mythological inaccuracies. The revelation of the true mastermind behind the beheadings is just as dull as the film's meandering slow crawl to the destination.

Much like the failed works of talented artists like himself, Burton had the potential for a great movie (in this case, the moody atmosphere akin to Burton's other films works to great effect here) but was unfortunately burdened by a sloppy execution. Even more disappointing is that The Godfather director himself was named in the credits as "executive producer". Surely after that melodramatic mess of Dracula Burton could have seen how that might have been a mistake. Guess he lost his head.

Edge of Tomorrow

Watched this again tonight.. I'm starting to figure out
WARNING: "What's wrong with the ending" spoilers below

I don't like how J-Squad can't quite grasp the situation and keeps rexplaining it. Annoying.
I don't like how cruise keeps trying to protect blunt. Annoying.
Too dark.
None of the J-Squad deaths have an emotional impact

If I had to guess I'd say this was my 8th time watching it.
I'm really picking up on all the nuances. this film has a lot of great little moments that are easy to miss.

Somewhere (2010)

Sofia Cappola accomplishes much the same here that Terrence Malick does with Knight of Cups using patience and observance in place of poetry and allegory. It plays much the same way as a silent picture where action takes precedence over dialogue. It's a gentle portrait of a meaningless life where crippling emptiness is broken up by an estranged daughter. Have yourself a happy cry.

http://boxd.it/8TDoX

I was never a fan of Lost in Translation, but this is a masterpiece.