Mojo Filter's Top 50 Male Solo Artists

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
30. RICK SPRINGFIELD
Rick had some great songs in the late 70's and early 80's that I grew up listening to. Those songs particularly from the 80's have become staples for the decade. Aside from that, Rick was a really cool guy.

My favorite songs:
Speak To The Sky
Jessie's Girl
I've Done Everything For You
Don't Talk To Strangers

You missed this great Rick Springfield song:

29. TUPAC SHAKUR
In the 90's, I was into the alternative rock scene and despised hip-hop. The only hip-hop artist I had any respect for was 2pac. His aggressive style of rapping and the tunes he made were like nothing I heard before. A true legend.

My favorite songs:

How Do You Want It?
California Love
2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted
To Live And Die In L.A.
All 'Bout U
Hit 'Em Up
Changes

28. LENNY KRAVITZ
I always believed Lenny to be the smoothest and coolest rock star of the last 25 years. His songs are killer tunes, and he can tear it up on guitar like the best of them.

My favorite songs:
Let Love Rule
Mr. Cab Driver
It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over
Believe
I Belong To You
American Woman
Dig In
Are You Gonna Go My Way?

Here is a recap of Numbers 50 - 31

50. JOE JACKSON
49. CHUCK BERRY
48. GLENN FREY
47. AL GREEN
46. JIMI HENDRIX
45. JACKSON BROWNE
44. BUDDY HOLLY
43. EDDIE MONEY
42. SAM COOKE
41. RAY CHARLES

40. ERIC CLAPTON
39. JAMES BROWN
38. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
37. KENNY ROGERS
36. JOHN MELLENCAMP
35. ROD STEWART
34. NEIL DIAMOND
33. RICHARD MARX
32. BILLY OCEAN
31. HOWARD JONES

Top 30 begins tomorrow...
Nice idea Mojo
Springsteen would be number 2 on my list.
Of yours my favourites are Al Green, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Sam Cooke. I like Kenny Rogers and Neil Diamond and Rod Stewart too .

27. ROBBIE WILLIAMS
In the 90's, I was a fan of English boy band Take That. When Robbie left the band in 1995, and released his debut solo album in 1997, I, out of curiosity, bought it and instantly became hooked on his melodic tunes. He eventually became the biggest pop star to ever come out of Britain.

My favorite songs:
Lazy Days
Old Before I Die
Angels
Baby Girl Window
These Dreams
Supreme
Feel
Sin Sin Sin
Millennium

26. ELVIS PRESLEY
The King of Rock 'n Roll needs to make an appearance on my list. Even though I do not call myself a huge Elvis fan, but there are so many songs of his that I know and appreciate.

My favorite songs:
Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
All Shook Up
It's Now Or Never
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes
Suspicious Minds
Blue Moon
Jailhouse Rock

25. BILLY IDOL
80's rock artist Billy Idol is one of the greatest and most overlooked rockers of our time. Behind the sneer and leather, and all the other badass-ery, were amazing tunes that have stood the test of time.

My favorite songs:
Dancing With Myself
Rebel Yell
Flesh For Fantasy
Sweet Sixteen
Mony Mony
White Wedding
Can't Break Me Down
Eyes Without A Face

24. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
If you asked me 15 years ago, I would definitely have dismissed Justin Timberlake as nothing but a member of a manufactured boy band and one of the reasons why music was terrible in the late 90's and throughout the early 2000's. However, after ditching N' Sync, JT collaborated with respected producer Timbaland to produce some of the greatest pop records of the century. Timberlake surprisingly turned out to be a talented singer, songwriter and actor, and a cool guy altogether.

My favorite songs:
Rock Your Body
What Goes Around Comes Around
Suit And Tie
Mirrors
Don't Hold The Wall
Let The Groove Get In
Not A Bad Thing
Take Back The Night
Lovestoned/I Think She Knows

23. PETER GABRIEL
I was never a fan of Genesis when Peter Gabriel was the lead singer. As a solo artist, however, Gabriel is incredible.

My favorite songs:
Solsbury Hill
In Your Eyes
Sledgehammer
Shock The Monkey
Don't Give Up
Steam
Blood Of Eden
Digging In The Dirt

22. MARVIN GAYE
Marvin Gaye has made so many beautiful songs in his short-lived career. He's also one of the fewest R&B artists who matured musically by shifting from smooth love songs to socially and politically conscious anthems. He's by far one of the greatest singers in the R&B and soul genres.

My favorite songs:
You're A Wonderful One
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Let's Get It On
Pride And Joy
Mercy Mercy Me
Sexual Healing
What's Going On

21. BOB MARLEY
Reggae would not have become popular without Bob Marley. His songs, as smart and infectious as they are, were thought-provoking revolutionary anthems that are still played and loved by people all over the world.

My favorite songs:

Could You Be Loved
Get Up, Stand Up
No Woman No Cry
I Shot The Sheriff
One Love
Three Little Birds
Buffalo Soldier
Redemption Song

Here's a recap of Numbers 50 - 21

50. JOE JACKSON

49. CHUCK BERRY

48. GLENN FREY

47. AL GREEN

46. JIMI HENDRIX

45. JACKSON BROWNE

44. BUDDY HOLLY

43. EDDIE MONEY

42. SAM COOKE

41. RAY CHARLES

40. ERIC CLAPTON

39. JAMES BROWN

38. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

37. KENNY ROGERS

36. JOHN MELLENCAMP

35. ROD STEWART

34. NEIL DIAMOND

33. RICHARD MARX

32. BILLY OCEAN

31. HOWARD JONES

30. GEORGE MICHAEL

29. TUPAC SHAKUR

28. LENNY KRAVITZ

27. ROBBIE WILLIAMS

26. ELVIS PRESLEY

25. BILLY IDOL

24. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE

23. PETER GABRIEL

22. MARVIN GAYE

21. BOB MARLEY

My Top 20 is coming up soon...it will blow your pants off!

Feedback is appreciated...

I especially love Billy Idol and Rod Stewart, and of course The King, who seems low on your list.

I never heard of Williams or Jones.

Williams is huge worldwide except in the US, where he had one or 2 hits in the late 90's before dropping off the radar here.

Jones was a huge pop star in the 80's. Surprised you never heard of him.

20. TOM PETTY
Although most of his songs were released with his band, the Heartbreakers, Tom Petty made only a few albums solo. But many people consider his entire catalog, including his material with the band, his own since he wrote all the songs himself. Petty is by far one of the coolest American rockers in history.

My favorite songs:
Free Fallin'
I Won't Back Down
Runnin' Down A Dream
Wildflowers
Time To Move On
You Wreck Me
Saving Grace
You Don't Know How It Feels

19. KENNY LOGGINS
American rock musician Kenny Loggins has made classics ever since the 70's, and but he is most notable for being a Motion Picture Soundtrack staple in the 80's, appearing on blockbuster soundtracks for films like Footloose, Top Gun, Over The Top, and Caddyshack.

My favorite songs:
I'm Alright
Heart To Heart
Welcome To Heartlight
Don't Fight It
Footloose
I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man)
Vox Humana
No Looking Back
Danger Zone
Playing With The Boys
Meet Me Half Way

Some great choices. Howard Jones was a bit of a surprise. I loved him when I was a kid but haven't listened to him in a long time.

Tom Petty, on the other hand, has been my favorite artist since I was eight years old. Great choice, but of course I think he ought to be about 19 places higher.

Some great choices. Howard Jones was a bit of a surprise. I loved him when I was a kid but haven't listened to him in a long time.

Tom Petty, on the other hand, has been my favorite artist since I was eight years old. Great choice, but of course I think he ought to be about 19 places higher.

Petty has been one of my favorites for the longest time too. Once you see who coming next in my list, you'll understand why I HAD to rank him at 20

18. STING
After The Police broke up in the mid-80's, Sting shifted his musical style from hard rock and punk to an adult contemporary and pop sound, and pursued a successful solo career.

My favorite songs:
Mad About You
Englishman In New York
Fragile
We Dance Alone
All This Time
It's Probably Me
Fields Of Gold
If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
When We Dance
You Still Touch Me
I Was Brought To My Senses
Brand New Day
Desert Rose
Shape Of My Heart

17. BOB DYLAN
Legendary folk singer Bob Dylan was the voice of a generation 50 years ago. His songs have stood the test of time, and are still very much relevant today.

My favorite songs:
The Times They Are a-Changing
Blowin' In The Wind
Masters Of War
It Ain't Me Babe
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Like A Rolling Stone
Rainy Day Women #12 and 35
Just Like A Woman
Man In Me
Tangled Up In Blue