Nope's Movie Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille
BIG DADDY
Now that Adam Sandler's movies have taken a much more offensive, terrible, insulting, and scam-ish route, it is refreshing to see a film that isn't as terrible as some of his other horrible excuses for films, but saying that a movie isn't as terrible as Jack and Jill is definitely not a complement. Also, this review is going to be a lot shorter than normal, because there is nothing much you can say about a bad comedy other than, "it wasn't funny".

Big Daddy is about a lazy, unlikable slob who for lack of a better term, kidnaps a small child and raises him, hilarity ensues. Most of the attempted humor of the film is riding on the cuteness of the Sprouse twins, and this allows dumber audience members to think this movie is charming instead of incredibly stupid. Sandler once again phones in his performance, and invites all of his Happy Madison friends to enjoy a nice big paycheck with him, Rob Schneider gives an especially bad performance as a foreign delivery man.

If you want to actually enjoy yourself during this movie, simply spend your time crossing off items from the Happy Madison checklist. Product Placement, Fast Food Resteraunt Product Placement, Fart Jokes, Genital Injury, Cameo's from SNL Cast Members, Cameo's from non-SNL celebrities, Animal Cruelty, Racist Jokes, Sentimental scenes used to trick the audience members to think that the movie has a heart. You'll be surprised how many this movie can check off of the list.

To the films credit, I did enjoy this film much more than movies like Jack and Jill, Paul Blart Mall Cop 2, and Grown Ups 2, and there were a few giggles, but still not worth your time. You know your movie is bad when even Jon Stewart can't save it.

THE SEARCHERS

I am going to start off this review by saying that I think John Wayne is one of, if not the most overrated actor of all time. He always gives a stilted performance, he stumbles through his lines, and he delivers them with no emotion. But even though I don't like John Wayne, that doesn't mean I don't find his films enjoyable.

The Searchers is about a Civil War veteran who returns home to his family, only for them to be murdered soon after. He and his adopted nephew then go on a mission to find his kidnapped niece. What follows is the greatest cowboys vs indians tale ever put to film. One of the greats things about this movie is its use of landscape. Almost every single shot is absolutely breathtaking, and it is by far the most beautiful Texas has ever looked in a film. Even though the dialog can be awkward at points, I still think it is a very good screenplay that has moments of genuine humor and heart. Most of this heart comes from the love B-story that occurs in between the scenes of action. So while the landscape and cinematography made The Searchers a great western. The screenplay kept it from being boring.

The biggest problem I have with this film is no doubt the acting. I already told you that I hate John Wayne, but everyone else also gives a below par performance. The acting was either way too serious, or way too comedic and silly. For example, Jeffrey Hunter (Martin) gave a very over the top performance, while Ward Bond (The Rev.) gave such a silly performance that I couldn't take him seriously even when I was supposed to.

I used to think that once you've seen one western, you've seen them all, but this film proved me wrong. It was unique, entertaining, and most importantly, fun. If you like westerns, watch this film, luckily John Wayne didn't ruin it.

SLEEPING BEAUTY

I was never a very big fan of princess movies, not because I thought they were too girly, just that they were all the same. Except for some exceptions like The Little Mermaid every princess story seemed to bore me. Because of this, I tried to put away watching any princess movies nominated for the Animated Musical HoF, but unfortunately, I had to eventually.

Sleeping Beauty is the animated version of the classic 1967 Brother's Grimm tale that I'm sure all of you know by now. The most enjoyable part of this film is by far the animation. I have said before in previous reviews that I think movie studios should return to 2D animation, because it looks so much better that anything made today. Movies like Pinocchio and Fantasia amazed me with the beauty of every frame, and today's animation is boring and forgettable. Another thing the movie has going for it is the runtime. I enjoyed that the movie did not go on for too long, and didn't shove in filler to try and make it any longer. It sat at a very nice 76 minutes.

While Sleeping Beauty was over fast, that does't mean it didn't still bore me. I especially felt sleepy during the scenes where the only thing the characters did was talk. Animation can be used to show literally anything on screen, and I felt that they did nothing special with this. Animation should be used for huge spectacles and great adventures, not conversations and flower picking. Besides a few good scenes, I don't think the film did anything to stand out.

I definitely didn't hate Sleeping Beauty even though that's what it might sound like, and the scenes that were good, were very good. I think this is a very good children's movie, but not much else besides that.

Great reviews Nope! I agree with you on The Searchers, great film! I haven't seen Sleeping Beauty yet which is one of the very few classic Disney's that I have yet to watch.

Keep them coming!

I loved the CinemaScope widescreen in Sleeping Beauty, so beautiful and together with that very corner-cutted artistic animation it was stunning to look at. I don't think the animation needed much really, but the story could've been more tightly written, though I like its almost magical and poetic pace and approach. Maleficent is an awesome villain and the film has a great climax. My rating went down a tiny bit last time, but it's still one of Disney's finest works imo.

Good review.

HIGH NOON

I recently said in another review that The Searchers was my favorite western of all time. I would like to immediately retract that statement, because soon after writing the review, I saw High Noon.

High Noon is the story of a formal marshall who is shocked to hear that a criminal he once sent off to execution, is coming back for him. He then has only a few hours to recruit as many deputies as he can. The greatest thing about this movie is that it takes place mostly in real time. This was way ahead of its time in 1952 when the film was released. Most of the story follows five different character, the former marshall, his wife, his deputy, his ex-lover, and the men who are waiting to pick up the criminal. The movie switches between all five stories seamlessly, and makes us interested in every one of them. I original applauded The Searchers for being the most straight forward western I had ever seen, and I applaud High Noon for doing exactly the opposite. Gary Cooper played the lead role very well, much better than John Wayne ever has. All of the acting in this film was incredible, especially for its genre. The only problem that I have with this film is that some of the main character look alike, and that confused me.

As of writing, this is the best western I have ever seen. The music, the acting, the writing, the story, everything falls together perfectly. In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone.

PSYCHO

I really wish I was alive in 1960 to see this film when it first was released. When I first watched this movie a few years ago, I pretty much already knew all of the spoilers there were to know, and while I still loved it, I could have loved it so much more.

Psycho is about a woman named Marion Crane, who steals $40,000 and runs away from home, and on her way, she decides to stop at the Bates Motel. This movie reinvented the psychological thriller, and it's amazing that Alfred Hitchcock could still reinvent things after he'd already been in the business for 30 years. He knew exactly how his audience would react to things, and used that skill perfectly. I don't know why, but I think my favorite thing about this movie is its music. From the opening credits the music jumped me right into the movie, and I knew exactly how I would feel for the rest of it. The music gave off a haunting vibe that was intensified further by the great acting and cinematography. Even though this isn't me favorite Hitchcock (that honor belongs to North by Northwest) it is still one of his best.

Another thing that was very impressive about this movie was the use of shadows. Many other Hitchcock films use lighting for dramatic purposes as well, such as Notorious and Rear Window, but none were used just as well. Shadows and lighting were used to show how a character is feeling, who has the power in a scene, and it was also used to foreshadow the plot. Mirrors were also used frequently during the film for the same reasons.

This review is shorty than my other ones, because there is really nothing to say about Psycho that hasn't already been said. This is the greatest horror movie of all time, and even though I'm not a very big horror fan, I can still respect its genius. If you haven't seen this movie yet, get off of Movie Forums and watch it right now.

I agree wholeheartedly Nope, Psycho is probably the best horror movie of all time. And yes the music is legendary! If you noticed during the opening credits composer Bernard Herrmann is listed second to last, just before Hitchcock. That proved that everyone involved knew beforehand just how amazing the soundtrack was.

SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER, AND UNCUT

Some people might not see it, but South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is a very meta movie. The Terrence and Phillip movie Asses of Fire is pretty much an analogy for this movie, and the rest of the film is an over-exaggerated reenactment of how people reacted to the movie. When I first saw this film, I saw it as nothing more than some fart jokes and a bunch of cursing, but now that I am seeing it again at an older age, I realize that it is actually brilliant satire of censorship and the MPAA.

The film follows Stan, Kyle, Kenny, and Cartman as they see the new Terrence and Phillip movie. This causes them to become more vulgar and rowdy, and the rest plays out like an long South Park episode. I was always was a fan of South Park, and would watch it whenever it came on, and this film is made for South Park fans, so obviously I would enjoy it. The humor of the show is a very specific type of comedy, and doesn't stray from that, so people who do not like that comedy, don't like all of South Park, and people who like that comedy, love all of South Park. This is why in the Animated Musical HoF, everyone who participates either hates the movie, or loves it. You can pretty much separate the whole world into people who like South Park, and people who don't.

Like Monty Python and the Holy Grail every single line of this film is a joke. There is no moments where they comedy is stopped. Even when they are trying to deliver a serious message, they always do it in a comedic way. The actual jokes are very funny, and are exactly what I expect from Trey Praker and Matt Stone, but I think that there are episodes of South Park that are more funny, and I wish that they went all out for the movie. Because instead of watching this movie, I would just recommend you to watch the 4 best episodes of the show back to back, it would be more funny. This isn't really a huge problem, and it didn't lose the film many points, but I think you should only turn a TV show into a movie, you have to do something you can't do on TV. This is the same problem I had with The Simpsons Movie.

And now about that brilliant satire I was talking about earlier. A while ago I watched a documentary called This Film is Not Yet Rated it was a documentary about the MPAA, and how they constantly like to screw over filmmakers. Violence and blood barley bother them, while cursing and sex make them give films the dreaded NC-17 rating. There are many cleverly hidden lines about the MPAA in this film, and I imagine must have been hard to get past them. There were lines in the film were they said that violence is fine for children, but how dare they say certain words. Isn't "sticks and stones may break my bones" what we teach children? One of my favorite things about South Park is that it is always the children that realize when something is bad instead of the adults. I now see this movie as an argument against censorship, and I think that it is much smarter than many people give it credit for.

I have now tried to explain why South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is pretty brilliant. In my opinion, the whole movie was an analogy for censorship, and they threw a Saddam and Satan love affair in there just for fun. I think Terrence and Phillip represented freedom of speech, and MAC was the MPAA. It is a very far-fetched theory, and is probably wrong. This review was way longer that I thought it would be, so I'm gonna end it now. If you like South Park, like satire, and don't mind some cursing, this is the movie for you.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Nice review. I haven't seen Southpark in years so i can't really give an opinion. I don't think i'd enjoy it now because the whole South Park ship has sailed for me.

MASH

I had recently finished the show I was watching, and decided to move on to something different. At the top of the recommended list I saw M*A*S*H, the iconic television show that was based of of this iconic movie. Since I can only watch things in order, I knew I must watch the film before I begin the show, am I'm very glad I made that choice.

MASH is the story of a group of Mobile Army Surgical Hospital officers as they perform spend their time in between surgery. Much like a film like Animal House, there is no continuous story throughout. Instead each scene is a smaller contained story, and they all come together to form a bigger over-arching picture. The humor in this film is exactly my type, and the writing is most of the reason I enjoyed the film so much. The screenplay was written by Ring Lardner, Jr. and it was based on the novel by Richard Hooker. This might be one of the finest screenplays of all time, let alone for a comedy. This script won Lardner the oscar.

Aside from the screenplay, I also very much enjoyed the acting. Donald Sutherland and Elliot Gould have great chemistry. Gary Burghoff and Robert Duvall also stood out. The great performances were absolutely necessary to bring alive the great characters written int he script, and every actor delivered. My favorite scene in the movie was the football scene. I thought it was hilarious, and would even call it one of the funniest movie scenes I've ever seen. If there were any problems I would have with this film, it would be the beginning. I thought the first 15 or so minutes of the film were very dull, boring, and unnecessary.

MASH was a very fun movie, and I would recommend it for everyone. The humor is very original, and it still holds up today. Now I have eleven seasons of a show to watch.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION

I was neves a huge fan of the Mission: Impossible franchise. The only other installment in the series I had seen was Ghost Protocol and I would probably just describe it as "meh". So when my friends and I decided to go see Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, I was expecting that same meh quality, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The film follows Ethan Hunt, who is forced to track down the Syndicate, a network of highly skilled operatives who are dedicated to establishing a new world order. He and his team must also face the CIA, after the IMF is disbanded. The biggest problem I had with the movie was the use of exposition. Many of the scenes were just people talking to each other, and over-explaining the plot. This is something that frequently occurs in action movies, and is the biggest issue with the genre. What I enjoyed about films like Mad Max: Fury Road is that it knew it was an action movie, and didn't have a large amount of boring talking scenes, just action. I enjoyed the characters, even though they were very clichéd. My favorite character in the film was Simon Pegg's I thought he was the most unique, and was much easier to relate to than Ethan Hunt. I am glad he got more screen time in this film than in Ghost Protocol.

The thing that this film by far does the best is action. Everyone has now heard of Tom Cruise hanging on to a plane, but there were also many other fun action sequences I was glad they didn't spoil in the trailer. My favorite scene in the movie was the opera scene. I loved how we were discovering what was happening while it was happening. They realized the audience was smart enough that they didn't have to explain to us what was going on, something many action movies do. I also enjoyed the underwater sequence, even though it was very cheesy and over-the-top. I also tried and miserably failed to hold my breath along with Tom Cruise. The car/motorcycle chases were also fun.

I would not go to this film if you are expecting anything more than a good time. If you liked any of the other Mission:Impossible films, you will like this one. I thought it was done well, or at least could have been done a lot worse.

THE LION KING

It has been a very long time since I last saw The Lion King, and I just remember loving it as a kid. I would always sing a long with the song, and have a great time watching it. I still enjoyed the film when I watched it now, but for much different reasons.

This Disney animated feature follows the adventures of the young lion Simba, the heir of his father Mufasa, and Mufasa's evil brother then stirs up an evil plan to take control of the crown. The plot is about as straight-forward as a disney story can get. There is villain, a hero, and a clear cut message to wrap the whole thing up. The songs in this film are some of the best out of any animated musical. My favorite as a kid and as an adult is still 'I Just Can't Wait to be King'. I used to play the song on repeat in the car and drive my parents crazy. All of the songs still hold up, and I wouldn't call any of them weak or lazy. I don't know why, but I enjoyed the film much better when Simba was a kid vs when he was grown up. I thought that the first half of the movie was much more fun and exciting than the slightly darker second half.

I don't know how many times I have to say that 2D animation almost always looks better than 3D animation. I'm not saying there aren't beautiful 3D animated movies like How to Train Your Dragon and Rango, but these look so much better. Pinocchio, Fantasia, Sleeping Beauty, and this film are some of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen, let alone in animation. I would be so happy if more studios went back to making 2D animated movies instead of the boring looking animation we use today. I have already said this in pretty much all of my reviews for the Animated Musical HoF, so I probably won't say it again.

This film was just as fun as I remember it, and it was definitely a good time. Great music, great animation, and a great story all came together to create one of Disney's finest films.

THE GIFT

The only reason I went to see The Gift in theaters was because Straight Outta Compton was sold out. I was expecting nothing more than a cheesy, stereotypical thriller staring a comedic actor who wants to be taken more seriously, but what I got, was something completely different.

The movie follows a married couple who unexpectedly encounter Gordo, an acquaintance from Simon's past. Little do they know that their perfect lives will be thrown into a terrifying tailspin. What I enjoyed most about this film was the way that it was able to slowly reveal information that made the audience quickly change their opinion on each character. It was able to blur the lines between good and bad. I could easily see this movie being directed by someone like David Fincher, a man who masters drama through information. I was surprised to see that Joel Edgerton wrote and directed the film as well as staring in it, and this was a great directorial debut. Another great thing about this movie were the performances. I have been a fan of Jason Bateman ever since Arrested Development, but I never knew he was such a talented dramatic actor. Each character in the film has their moment to shine, and all of the actors do a very good job. The cinematography was done very well. The movie used slow moving cameras to give off an eerie thrilling vibe and it worked very well.

While there were a few jump scares in the movie, it didn't rely on them to frighten the audience. Towards the end of the movie especially I was on the edge of my seat. I love movies with good endings, and this had a great one. Me and my friend were theorizing long after the credits had rolled, and I can see the many different opinions that people can have about the movie. It is a film that you need to sit back and actually think about for you to fully appreciate it, and that is a rarity in modern thriller movies.

I have never been so pleasantly surprised with a film since The Lego Movie, and I would recommend this film to almost anyone. If you enjoy David Fincher or Alfred Hitchcock, you will love this movie, and I will be looking forward to Joel Edgerton's next film.