Films that start well and end terribly

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Gone Girl by David Fincher.
Starts great but later it's getting like other totally different story.

I am the Watcher in the Night

In a world where everyone tells the truth, Ricky Gervais is airbrushed to perfection.

The Invention of Lying built up its universe in a good way and made excellent use of sight gags. However, when it descends into a religious satire, it stops being funny and is just another notch on Gervais' narcissistic atheism bed-post.
Good shout, plus I was never happy with the spoon fed love story either. It at no time seemed convincing.

Tbf, this has been the case with a lot of Gervais' recent work, movie or tv.

Other movies that come to mind:
Terminator: Salvation
L.A. Confidential
Midnight Run

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Gone Girl by David Fincher.
Starts great but later it's getting like other totally different story.
I totally agree! At the end I was like Really? I wasted hours for what?
Other films with terrible ending:
Fatal Desire (2006) - maybe half of the movie was bad, but the end was so poor, i was excpecting some BOOOOM, but I didn't get it
Carnal Innocence (2011) - I mean that beautiful girl- the killer? No way! And I expected that, by the way, it was so obviously
Bad Kids Go To Hell (2012) -It was unexpected, but for some reason, I didn't like it

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. "Super 8" is the best example of great first half and totally worthless second half. If one was to cut second half off and just leave the first half, it would make the movie one of the best ever. When I watched the movie 4 years ago I could not believe it.
Yeah, the ending of "Flightpan" was terrible.

Welcome to the human race...
I'd say Terminator 3 is definitely worse in the ending department - since it undid most of the continuity that had been established in the previous film. (Up until that point the films had presented the theme that Judgment Day could be prevented by altering events in the past; then all of a sudden John Connor learns that it's been predestined to happen all along).
Well...yeah. The Terminator continuity is more or less built on a stable time loop of Skynet sending back Terminators to kill the Connors and having their remains be used to create Skynet in the first place. That's part of why Terminator 2 ultimately ends on an ambiguous yet hopeful note instead of the "good future" epilogue that was originally filmed, even though Cameron had no real plans to make another film. Of course, Terminator's continuity has been a cluster-f*** ever since Terminator 2 was created, so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, another example that I think I saw since I last posted in this thread - Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. I mean, the first third or so was pretty good but things went downhill very soon after Max meets the tribe of kids, so in effect the ending was ruined by the time the second act started.

The first film I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was No Country for Old Men...great movie, but the ending is a little ambiguous for my tastes.

Yeah.

This question has appeared on these boards in various reincarnations for several months now but I will answer again in case this is a new poster. When it comes to a movie that I love but hate the ending, the first thing that pops into my head is No Country for Old Men...the ending is ambiguous and just kind of peters out and leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the movie, which works.

I have to return some videotapes.
Yeah, I thought that "getting into a whole other story" was kind of the whole point.
Yeah. It'd be very boring just watching Affleck's POV (assuming by "other story" he meant Pike's experiences during the film).. then the whole ending wouldn't make sense because you didn't see what happened.

Potentially controversial one, but...Django Unchained.
I think the very, very end with Django showing off on his horse was kind of lame, but I loved the gunfight and Django's ultimate revenge.

The Sixth Sense (1999)

I think the very, very end with Django showing off on his horse was kind of lame, but I loved the gunfight and Django's ultimate revenge.
Nah, everything that happened after Django got captured felt like cinematic dead weight. It did what no other Tarantino movie up to that point had managed to do - having a boring and fundamentally anti-climatic ending. All his other films kept the same feeling of unpredictability going right up until the credits (even Death Proof, which is my least favourite Tarantino film in general, managed that). Despite all the bloodiness and explosiveness, from a narrative standpoint it just felt like the story fizzled out despite obviously trying to go out with a bang.

I could say this about all the TV Series, excepting maybe House M.D.

Off the top of my head, Sunshine (2007). It could've been great :/