The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User
Yet to see Nashville as i never thought i would like it but the more i hear of it the better it sounds. I had Kramer on my list, somewhere at the bottom i think. For me it's a great portrayal in dealing with a strong and touching subject matter. One that is important to me. I can see why others don't get as connected though.

Loving this list.

Nashville is probably my second favourite Altman, from what I've seen so far. #15 on my list. I love long, sprawling ensemble pieces and he shepherds that cast brilliantly. Not a dull moment. Completely agree with what you said, Daniel. I genuinely like a lot of the music myself (especially the aforementioned "I'm Easy"), but it seems to me that saying you don't like the film because you don't like the music is something of a cop-out because it's such an integral part of the film's milieu, they're its subject rather than tacked-on musical numbers. It's like saying you don't like All the President's Men because you don't like newspapers.

Kramer vs. Kramer was never in contention for me because it's been so long since I saw it. I do remember liking it. I'm very surprised that it looks to be the final and highest entry from Mr. Hoffman, though. I thought for sure it would be any one of the others.

2. Picnic at Hanging Rock
4. Hausu
13. Being There
15. Nashville
19. Walkabout
22. A Woman Under the Influence

Just found out about this countdown and I'm kind of shocked M*A*S*H, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Serpico are on the lower ranks. Well anyways, some of them are quite accurate and I'm positively sure this countdown will be great. Vito Corleone for No.1!!

Kramer v Kramer was one of my final cuts. I just love the way the father and son relationship develops throughout this movie. Maybe resonates more with us that are parents already. I find that since fatherhood almost anything involving a child can well me up including commercials and trailers.

You guys have summed up Nashville really well so I will not say much, it was my #7. I will second the I'm Easy song being my fave scene. Reminds me of the Fare Thee Well song from Llewyn Davis last year in that once you hear it, it sets the tone and emotional punch of what the movie is. Really fantastic film that just keeps growing in my mind.

Just found out about this countdown and I'm kind of shocked M*A*S*H, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Serpico are on the lower ranks. Well anyways, some of them are quite accurate and I'm positively sure this countdown will be great. Vito Corleone for No.1!!
No set schedule yet, but we should have the '60s list going sometime, probably early next year. Stick around and participate in that one.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

No set schedule yet, but we should have the '60s list going sometime, probably early next year. Stick around and participate in that one.
Yes I will mate!

I wasn't expecting to like Nashville and was very surprised by how much I did. I liked the characters, music, and little sub-situations; I felt very involved in the movie the whole time. I didn't vote for it, but I considered it. I think it's a movie I would like even more upon subsequent viewings.

Probably the only thing that kept me from voting for Kramer Vs Kramer was the fact that I haven't seen it in a while. I've always thought it was a great movie.

I was pleasantly surprised by Kramer vs. Kramer. I went in with low expectations, thinking it would be above average (like most Oscar winners), but it turned out to be great! #14 on my list.

Haven't seen Nashville. Too long so it's not on my list of priorities, but I'll get around to it.

A system of cells interlinked
I will get tarred and feathered for this, but I STILL have not seen Altman's Nashville. Dang!

Kramer vs. Kramer is a good flick, but didn't really have a chance of ending up on my list...It's really well done, but not something that would end up a favorite of mine.

Kramer vs. Kramer taught me how to make french toast, so I should've voted for it for that reason alone, but I didn't. It's a great movie, though, and I'm happy it made the countdown.

I don't love Robert Altman as much as Cobpyth and few others on this forum, but I do love Nashville, which is why it was #9 on my list. I'm a big fan of Short Cuts, too, but Nashville is Altman's best, in my opinion. No director balances an ensemble cast quite as deftly as Altman. I expected it to be higher on the countdown, especially with all the adulation Altman receives on here.

It's unfortunate that some people allow their dislike for country music to taint their viewing experience. Personally, I like traditional, old-school country music, and even though the songs in the film are of varying quality (to match the varying talent of the characters within the film), the music is more of a backdrop than anything. After all, you can't make a movie about the country music capital without a bit of honky-tonk floating through the breeze. And many of the songs are written with a satirical/ironic edge, simultaneously paying homage to country music while also illustrating its overly patriotic corniness and other characteristics. Although I generally dislike musicals (primarily the ones where people burst into random bits of song and dance), I tend to enjoy movies that either take place in the world of music or have music deeply ingrained in their DNA. Nashville is exactly that kind of movie: a musical in spirit, not technique.

The main reason that I love Nashville, though, is its voyeuristic quality. I love movies that transport me to a different time and place and allow me to be a fly on the wall. Altman captures that feeling about as well as anyone. When I watch Nashville, with its level of authenticity, its great sense of time and place, its interweaving characters and storylines, I eventually forget that I'm watching a movie at all, but instead become convinced that I've been dropped in the middle of Nashville in the 1970's, invisible as a ghost, free to walk among the characters and eavesdrop on their conversations and take in their performances and witness their private moments without anyone the wiser. I wish more films gave me that feeling.

Nashville was #9 on my list and it's also my ninth film to appear on the countdown.

#4) The Last Picture Show
#8) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
#9) Nashville
#10) The Holy Mountain
#11) Paper Moon
#13) Five Easy Pieces
#22) Straw Dogs
#23) The Outlaw Josey Wales
#24) Mean Streets

Haven't seen Nashville. Too long so it's not on my list of priorities...
No good movie is ever too long. No bad movie is ever short enough. Lawrence of Arabia is a brilliant, wonderful, captivating three hours and thirty-six minutes. Little Nicky is ninety minutes of tedious, obnoxious torture.

The People's Republic of Clogher
My mum really liked Kramer vs Kramer. I've not seen it in years and have no real desire to rectify that.

Nashville, however, was my #21. It's not my favourite Altman but it's bloody brilliant all the same.

Kramer vs Kramer is the perfect family drama, one of the most heart wrenching films I've ever seen. I would probably get more out of it if I watched it today, since when I did my thought process was immature: "Oh, it's such bull **** that women always win custody cases". But I'm not sure if I could handle watching it again, there are a few scenes that I want to tear up just thinking about them. Th realism in this film is spot on, as is Hoffman is his ultimate performance. My Number 5, making it the highest from my list to show up.

Can't stand Nashville

The realism in this film is spot on, as is Hoffman in his ultimate performance.
Don't know if I'd call it his ultimate performance, but he is great, as always. And he gave what I think is still the best Oscar acceptance speech by an actor, ever. That I will comfortably deem the ultimate...

Much more Dusty in THIS thread.

I'm not the Dustin Hoffman fan that others around here seem to be, but Kramer Vs Kramer was a very moving film and Hoffman turned in an excellent performance. It was my #5.

I never got around to watching Nashville, but Altman did score VERY high on my list with another film.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

oh thats a great pair they were both on my list.

Nashville was my #20, great film the more realistic film I've seen and the songs are great even if I usually hate country. I heard in an interview that Altman didn't want to send a message he just wanted to paint a portrait of how he sees certain things in society. It works perfectly in this case and I already can't wait tor rewatch it.

Kramer vs Kramer was my #16, as opposed to Nashville I didn't have any expectations for that one. Nashville was my 5th Altman I think and I liked them all so I knew I would love it, but I don't know Robert Benton at all and from the synopsis it seemed like your typical american movie, but it wasn't. It's a fantastic movie that shows a ''modern'' familly in a very realistic way. I also like that there is no bad guy both the father and the mother are not bad person they just want to live their live the best way they can. I'm glad it made it I was starting to doubt.