Australian Films

Tools    

Muriel´s Wedding
Walkabout
One from about two decades ago with a title like Silhouette, about a strange character.

There were some good TV shows I saw as a kid: The Terrible Ten, Magic Boomerang and the like.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Picnic at Hanging Rock is the greatest Australian film I have ever seen, bar none. Beautiful cinematography, an alluring soundtrack, and impeccable direction. Truly a mystical, eerie, daunting, yet strangely beautiful and poetic journey into our relationship with nature's mythical surroundings. If anybody has done some reading into Aboriginal mythology, you'll notice this film captures the concept of 'dreamtime' very, very well.

This clip contains spoilers but is a testament of its striking beauty:

Some other less well-known Aussie flicks:

Sunday Too Far Away (1975)
My Brilliant Career (1979)
Breaker Morant (1980)
The Castle (1997)
In the Winter Dark (1998)

^ Don't forget the brutal and unforgiving Wake in Fright. One of the great Australian films.

I really like Wake in Fright

One of my favourites 10 Canoes

Those in the UK, who can get the Horror Channel and are interested in Ozploitation should know that they're having an Ozploitation season of films on Friday nights. This week it's Savages Crossing.

My favourite is definately Animal Kingdom

Brilliant.
This is one of my all time favourite movies. I was blown away with it.

If you enjoyed it, check out "Snowtown". It's gloomy but brilliant too.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The only film I have on VCD: The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith

It's even got Alf from Home And Away in it.

My top 10 Australian films (since I started giving ratings).

1. Mary & Max (2009) - Adam Elliot

2. Gallipoli (1981) - Peter Weir

3. Kenny (2006) - Clayton Jacobson

4. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) - Stephan Elliott

5. Mad Max II (1981) - George Miller

6. Red Dog (2011) - Kriv Stenders

7. Where the Green Ants Dream (1984) - Werner Herzog

8. Triangle (2009) - Christopher Smith

9. Dark City (1998) - Alex Proyas

10. Mad Max (1979) - George Miller

Have obviously watched lots more but too long ago to rate. One of my goals this year is to watch/re-watch a lot of Australian and NZ films to put together an Asia/Pacific Top 100.

BTW, my rules for where a film comes from are that they need to fulfill three of four criteria - where it is made, where the director is from, who/what it is about and where the production companies are based. That's why I have included the Herzog film and Dark City.

I complete forgot about Mary and Max. A very delightful slice of storytelling, that film. Also, Peter Weir's The Last Wave is an excellent film, too, and quite thematically similar to Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Those in the UK, who can get the Horror Channel and are interested in Ozploitation should know that they're having an Ozploitation season of films on Friday nights. This week it's Savages Crossing.
Thanks for the info.

I wonder if they'll show Bad Boy Bubby...

The tv series Underbelly deserves more recognition.

8. Triangle (2009) - Christopher Smith

BTW, my rules for where a film comes from are that they need to fulfill three of four criteria - where it is made, where the director is from, who/what it is about and where the production companies are based. That's why I have included the Herzog film and Dark City.
Didn't realise Triangle was Aussie. I enjoyed it.

The setting for this one is only up the road from me and some of it was shot there, but I haven't seen it yet.
I love the Ozploitation genre. Some I have seen:

Razorback (1984)
Long Weekend (1978)
Roadgames (1981)

And there's a documentary about Ozploitation films called "Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild Untold Story of Ozploitation'. Worth a look.

Has anybody here seen Australian Rules? Fairly obscure film, but pretty damn good.

The tv series Underbelly deserves more recognition.
I completely agree with this. TMK, they've only shown the first series of Underbelly in the UK, though I suspect one of the later incarnations did show up on one of the minor satellite channels. For anyone who hasn't seen it, seek it out.

Roadgames (1981)

And there's a documentary about Ozploitation films called "Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild Untold Story of Ozploitation'. Worth a look.
I also second these. I first saw Roadgames a couple of year after it was made and, while I've only seen it a few times since, it's always held up. Not Quite Hollywood is great, not only as entertainment, but as a source for other Ozploitation films.