The Movie Forums Podcast - 6/12/09

Tools    

The Movie Forums Podcast - 6/12/09

Behold: the third Movie Forums Podcast! Don't miss this one: it includes an interview with our very own mark f! Big thanks for Mark for his time and insight.

If you must, you can use the emedded player on the left, or download it directly with the link below. I recommend downloading it, as the player can be a little tricky from time to time. Or better yet, you can subscribe with iTunes, or plug the podcast feed into your RSS reader.

The audio in the main segment may sound a little strange, as I had to manipulate it a bit to remove some background noise. Hopefully I'll find a better place to record soon.

Hope you guys dig it. As always, feedback of all types is welcome. And if anyone wants something mentioned, a question answered, or anything like that, feel free to email or PM me and I'll see if I can incorporate it into the next podcast.

Previous Podcasts:

Download this Podcast

IE Users:
     Right-click and choose "Save Target As..."

Firefox Users:
     Right-click and choose "Save Link As..."

Good stuff, looking forward to the next one. Gotta give Mark some rep for his participation here.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yeah it was great I want to watch Jaws now. I also wish I was born earlier so I could've seen all these amazing movies on the big screen.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I want to add that I flubbed a few things in that podcast. When we discussed that scene where the Chief's chum hits the shark's head and it takes quite awhile for the Chief to say, "You're gonna need a bigger boat", that was because that was one of the two hugest screams in the entire flick. Scheider had to wait that long just so the audience could settle down and hear that killer line. (The other enormous scream was Ben Gardner's head popping out underwater after Hooper finds the tooth "the size of a shot glass".)

I also think I said Ben "Harper"'s boat the first time, although I said Ben Gardner the second time. I also kept calling the Orca a ship at the end instead of a boat. Feel free to ask questions or challenge my babblings if you wish.

One of my earliest memories is seeing Return of the Jedi in theaters. But I had just turned four so it's not the same. The re-releases in 1997 was great despite the changes Lucas made to the films, I was 18 at the time so I could appreciate it this time around instead of just being completely overwhelmed by the size of the screen and how loud it all was.

edit: Didn't even notice your "flubs" Mark.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
You gonna have more Mofo guests on the podcast Yoda?

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think the Jaws music is overlong, especially since much of it isn't in the movie, but that can be fixed if desired. I still think that Chris did a great job.

You gonna have more Mofo guests on the podcast Yoda?
Almost certainly.

On a side note: My only complaint is some of the musical cues go on for too long.
I assume you're thinking of the Jaws clip? If so, I think I agree. The other clips I've played were a bit shorter, and a little more inherently entertaining. Oh well. I'll try to go with something more upbeat and/or cut down next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

A system of cells interlinked
Oh sweet - I am DLing this now, and will listen here at work...

I think you both did a swell job! I learned a few things I didn't know about the movie and a plethora of things I didn't know about mark f. I like the idea of having a podcast that focuses on a particular user of the site since it really is the users who sort of set the atmosphere within the walls (of MoFo).

Nice job, both of yous!

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah it was great I want to watch Jaws now. I also wish I was born earlier so I could've seen all these amazing movies on the big screen.
Don't despair, man. Keep an eye out for opportunities to see old movies in theatres. I've managed to see Jaws twice in theatres now - once at the start of 2007, the second back in March this year. Definitely a worthwhile experience, and I do suggest keeping an eye out for upcoming showings. Check movie theatres, art galleries, anywhere that would have a big enough screen.

As for the podcast, I'll get to it when I have the chance.

Aye, that's the idea. Mark's an expert in film in general, but even if he wasn't, I think all of us are "experts" on our favorite films, and I love hearing people talk about movies they love.

There's a great moment in the podcast where Mark says "it just flows so smoothly," and he does it with this sort of inflection and his voice gets higher at the end, and he sounds genuinely enamored; a bit like a kid talking about his favorite toy. I like those moments.

You ready? You look ready.
Chris, I think you're going to need a bigger podcast...

Great work.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza