The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm still without Internet, so reveal might come earlier than usual... or later than usual.

URRRRRRRRRlllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Please and thanks.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm still without Internet, so reveal might come earlier than usual... or later than usual.
Isn't this whole countdown predicated upon my sleep schedule? You got an hour and a half

82 points, 8 lists
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Director

Shane Black, 2005

Starring

Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan, Corbin Bernsen

83 points, 6 lists
The Devil's Backbone
Director

Guillermo del Toro, 2001

Starring

Marisa Paredes, Eduardo Noriega, Federico Luppi, Fernando Tielve

Breakdown of the hint...

Refreshing yesterday's hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Hey, buddy. I don't like this place. (First buddy, because KKBB is a buddy comedy... and I don't like the haunted place in TDB)
Don't wanna end up in a trunk (someone ends in a trunk in KKBB)
Or with a ghost looking at my face. (obvious to TDB)

Hey, buddy. Help me with the job. (Second buddy, two buddies, get it? Help with the job is what Downey's character needs)
Things are dropping from the sky (the bomb in TDB)
But I wanna hang out with the famous and snob. (Downey & Co. hanging out with rich and famous)
There you go.

I watched Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang for the 11th Hall of Fame back in 2016. I had to look that up because I couldn't remember when I'd watched it or what I'd thought of it. According to my write-up for that HOF, it was actually a rewatch but I all I could remember from the initial viewing was that I wasn't impressed. I rated it a 3.5 but gave a very lukewarm write-up. I must've been feeling generous with my ratings that day. In any case, it's apparently a very forgettable movie for me and obviously did not make my ballot.

I haven't seen The Devil's Backbone.

I have seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but it didn't leave any impression on me.

The Devil's Backbone is a great film. Del Toro's best. It has the menacing horror of Franco's regime in the background and is clear lineage from films like Spirit of the Beehive in that respect. Glad to see it here, but it just missed out on my list, I was quite dismayed I had to cut it out to be honest..

Thought I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but apparently I haven’t.

I can say almost the same exact thing about every Del Toro. Imaginative concept, very cool visually, but I don’t quite connect enough for it to be a favorite. Good movie though.

Yay, back on the diet

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was certainly in contention for a spot on my ballot but didn't quite make it in the end. The Devil's Backbone is also an enjoyable enough watch but was never really in contention.

Seen: 16/26 (Own: 13/26)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.0):
74. Salinui chueok [Memories Of Murder] (2003)
73. Inside Man (2006)

I seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Val Kilmer was good in it and the colorfully zealous movie was a good fit for a colorfully zealous Robert Downey Jr....Didn't make my list but I did consider it.

Shane Black's hysterical Kiss Kiss Bang Bang somehow missed making the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone didn't make the cut there either though it did place at #76 for the first MoFo Top 100 Horror Films and dropped to #89 for the 2019 reboot of that list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A couple years ago Kiss Kiss Bang Bang might've been in my top 10. It's on my list, but it's at #16 now. I still regularly quote lines of the film (particularly Kilmer's "Who taught you math!?") but it's no longer one of the Christmas-adjacent films I watch every holiday season.

I watched The Devil's Backbone after it showed up on the last Horror Countdown. I thought it was okay.

Seen: 12/26

My List:
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

I need to see both of these. I really like Del Toro. Hellboy is some of the most fun I've had for a superhero movie. I'm familiar with Shane Black, too, although the only one of his movies I've seen is Iron Man 3.

Pride and Prejudice was a lot of fun to watch. The characters were very strong and perfectly acted. 95. Not enough to make my post-ballot, but still good.

Seen 14/26

Reply to Topic