21st Hall of Fame

Tools    

Moonstruck

Coincidence! In my orchestra I’m playing a piece from the opera in this movie, La Boheme! The fact of the matter is, I probably like the opera more than this movie. But still, quite the charming little film. It’s not a masterpiece, but Nic Cage gives a fine performance and we have that feel-good warmth that just makes me fall in love with all the characters.

Not hilarious anymore, but still good for a chuckle or two.

+

The Breakfast Club

The quintessential teen movie, John Hughes just did it best. This is a smart movie that begins as a light romp in which a "bad kid" makes the best out of a Saturday detention. Then John Hughes challenges us to look beyond the surface, and explores each characters as they deal with their own problems in life.

It is a fascinating character study, well written, funny, and provocative. Not sure if it will be a huge favorite but I'm really glad I watched it and I'll likely return to it in the future.

-

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Moonstruck

Coincidence! In my orchestra I’m playing a piece from the opera in this movie, La Boheme! The fact of the matter is, I probably like the opera more than this movie. But still, quite the charming little film. It’s not a masterpiece, but Nic Cage gives a fine performance and we have that feel-good warmth that just makes me fall in love with all the characters.

+
what do you play?

Moonstruck

+
what do you play?
Violin.

Pride (2014)

I liked it. I liked the overall story, especially as it covered an interesting event in time that I'd never heard of. And I liked that it had the potential for rooting for the underdogs with a happy ending too. I thought the film was well cast and I liked the leads...and I even liked where it was filmed, as it seemed authentic to me. But I wanted more story. I wanted to know more about these people and how the times that they lived in effected them. It felt like each scene was more of a brief montage than a complete chapter. It's like the film jumps into the middle of a scene without giving us much time to experience any emotions. This made the film seem choppy and hard to follow at times.

It was all so: quick, fast and loud...and then the scene is over and the next one starts...In that way it reminded me of Suspect's sci fi nom Coherence (2013) feeling like a movie where everything starts and ends in the middle.

If Pride had been in the hands of a more capable director who was able to flesh out the individual stories more, this might have been an Oscar contender.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	59495  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
In that way it reminded me of Suspect's sci fi nom Coherence (2013) feeling like a movie where everything starts and ends in the middle.
While I do like Coherence, I nominated Attack the Block for the Sci/Fi HoF.

Okay nominated Coherence.

Despite the issues you listed for Pride, I'm certainly glad you enjoyed it. I like hearing about people "discovering" movies and enjoying them on some level.

Suspect's Reviews

The Breakfast Club

I don't know if there is a more iconic teen movie than the Breakfast Club and despite taking place in the 80's, there is enough material present that is relatable to teenagers today to stay relevant. Sure, laugh at the outdated slang, the 80's fashion, the lunches or pop culture references but connect to the fears, desires, and general sense of wanting to belong to something. A lot of things around teenagers change, but do the teenagers change themselves?

I've seen people state that they don't like how the film chooses to change the Ally Sheedy character to be someone she's not so that Emilio Estevez can like her now. But I've read some arguments that her initial get-up is simply her blocking the chance for people to get to know her and as the film progresses you see less and less of the black, the shield and barrier and more of who she might be. Her bad girl, I don't give a crap attitude is a front and maybe she can finally be herself later on in the film. I'm not saying that bright pink outfits and make-up is who she really is, but dropping the character she is before, no longer hiding her face behind the hair and letting people get to know her brings out something in her. It's not about making her pretty, it's about taking off the mask.

With that out of the way....the film is great. I don't know what else to add to a movie that has been on TV countless times and when I flick by it...I stop and watch it. I quote the lines before the character says it, much to the annoyance of my wife...until she does it too. This and his movie about different modes of transportation are Hughes best work.

Quills

@Miss Vicky stop trying to make Joaquin happen!!!

In all seriousness though, this film held up about as much as I expected it to. Meaning that it is still a good film, but not one that really blew me away. It has all the right elements of plot, characters and intrigue, but a few missteps with unfinished subplots makes the film feel unfinished as a whole.

Cain usually plays the loveable old man and here he does a 180. Putting on the despicable face, really made me hate him. Winslet showcases her talents early on and shows why she is one of the best actresses working today.

Period pieces tend to be more or less boring for me, but Quills manages to be one of the exceptions. It has a lot more style than the dry stiffness one would expect.

The trick is not minding
Quills

@Miss Vicky stop trying to make Joaquin happen!!!

In all seriousness though, this film held up about as much as I expected it to. Meaning that it is still a good film, but not one that really blew me away. It has all the right elements of plot, characters and intrigue, but a few missteps with unfinished subplots makes the film feel unfinished as a whole.

Cain usually plays the loveable old man and here he does a 180. Putting on the despicable face, really made me hate him. Winslet showcases her talents early on and shows why she is one of the best actresses working today.

Period pieces tend to be more or less boring for me, but Quills manages to be one of the exceptions. It has a lot more style than the dry stiffness one would expect.
I love Quills, but it has little to do with Phoenix. Rush is the standout here.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This got me wondering which actor/actress has appeared in multiple HOF winning movies. Ingrid Bergman is the only one I can think of.

This got me wondering which actor/actress has appeared in multiple HOF winning movies. Ingrid Bergman is the only one I can think of.
That's interesting. I think Ingrid Bergman was in two winners? Autumn Sonata and Casablanca are the two I can think of. Marlene Dietrich was in two winners: The Scarlett Empress and Witness for the Prosecution and Gene Tierney was in two winners: Laura and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of them.

That's interesting. I think Ingrid Bergman was in two winners? Autumn Sonata and Casablanca are the two I can think of. Marlene Dietrich was in two winners: The Scarlett Empress and Witness for the Prosecution and Gene Tierney was in two winners: Laura and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of them.
Dietrich was also in Judgment at Nuremberg. Newman has been in at least 2, Bogart at least 3, and I think Chaplin at least 2.

Being There

What a brilliant film!
Peter Sellers is such a legend, he totally sells every role he's in (no pun intended).

He should have won the Oscar for Best Actor this year, over Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer. But, oh well, I think his performance is remembered better today anyways. And Being There really is the best movie of 1979. Sellers makes it pretty damn funny (although not laugh-out-loud hilarious), yet it is an incredibly profound movie.

Especially as we near the ending, the bizarre and funny situations of earlier in the movie turn into what is my favorite movie endings ever, a quiet, slow, ending that really leaves us thinking.

Is it flawless? Certainly not, the film does have some pacing issues and I would have liked to see some of it cut. The script is pretty bare as well. But even though this won't be a favorite, I'm glad I watched it and I definitely recommend it to anyone, especially Peter Sellers fans.

+

Being There (1979)

I kind of like the concept behind Being There, but the film feels like an elongated sketch. There's only one joke, and it's repeated on and on. For the first few times, it's somewhat amusing to see Chance's idiocies taken as pearls of wisdom, but it gets old soon, and all I can do is to wonder the implausibility of the events. It either needs to make more sense or be crazier.

Peter Sellers is good as Chance, but he's rather alone. Everyone else feels more like a prop. The way "kingmaker" Ben (and rest of his kind at his funeral) or the president react to Chance makes no sense from their point of view. Political hustlers and businessmen who've built their power by reading people (and having money) should be able to see what Chance is (I'd go as far as saying anyone with average intellect should see through him).

Politicians and religious leaders tend to speak a lot without saying anything, so the idea of Being There is solid. Some of Chance's inane babblings aren't that far from the norm, but the film conveniently forgets his inability to comprehend even the most simple discussion (he spends days with the Rands, is interviewed on TV, etc.). Are we supposed to assume that Chance doesn't exist outside his scenes?

So, in a way Being There is a very peaceful and calming experience, but at least for me, it's almost drowsy. I don't particularly hate anything in it, but I can't get excited about anything either (the last scene was good, though, and unexpected).

Quills (2000)

To my surprise I liked this...I wasn't sure what to expect, in fact the movie was different than I had imaged. I know I'm liking a movie if it gets me interested from the start and keeps me interested until the very end...and I don't start checking the time remaining. And Quills kept me interested.

Quills reminded me of another HoF movie, Perfume: The Story of a Murder (2006). Both movies took a fanciful, lighter look at distributing events and both were period pieces but done in a more modern stylish artsy way.

I loved the look of this film, the color palette was a washed out antique green, very cool and it set the mood. Geoffrey Rush was just amazing in this as the brilliantly talented and demented...and yet likable Marquis de Sade. Another actor might have made the Marquis too dark or too much a super villain type, but I like the balance that Rush brought to the roll. And I LIKE Kate Winslet she's so good, she could do so much just with a look on her face.

Amazingly enough I thought Joaquin Phoenix was rather bland in his role as the priest who tried compassionately to run the insane asylum. I do think Phoenix is one of the best actors working today, but for whatever reason he wasn't able to find an inner depth to his priest. I did like the gone-mad version of him in the last few minutes of the film though.

Michael Caine was another real standout. He's also likable and yet he's cast as the antagonist. I kind of like a movie where the antagonist are more likable than the protagonist.

I wasn't a fan of one scene though. Can you guess which one? I bet you guessed wrong! I didn't care for the scene where the inmates stage a play for Michael Caine. It just seemed so silly the way the inmates were acting that it reminded me of a Monty Python movie. Just too much over the top.

But overall I did like Quills. Good cast, good movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quills-794268532-large.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	59546  

@Citizen Rules good review! I liked the play scene, though, probably because I like Monty Python